Jan 14 200618 years191st
OnlineLast PostLast Page
24th Apr 24 17:3524th Apr 24 11:49LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

: Tue Feb 03, 2009 10:16 am  
Tacitus wrote:
According to the Guardian, this may not be something that Brian Noble will welcome, and I may be interpreting this wrongly, but my first read of this was Eddie Jones going to be a direct replacement for Brian. Either way, this will cause disruption to the Wigan camp. I hope they put these rumours to bed quickly!

We can only wait and see, but if these stories first emerged over Christmas - as The Guardian claims - then it doesn't seem to have affected BN's and IL's relationship much. They were nattering away quite happily at the last couple of friendlies.
RankPostsTeam
Club Owner258No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 23 200321 yearsN/A
OnlineLast PostLast Page
31st May 12 15:0831st May 12 11:12LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

: Tue Feb 03, 2009 10:33 am  
If Jones and Brian can work together positively without creating tension or cliques, then this could be a really good move for us. I just get nervous when I hear that Brian and Ian aren't getting along and a third party is being introduced.

On the other hand the press often misinterpret creative tension for the good of a team, as a bust up scenario. Just because two people have different views, doesn't mean they don't work well together.

Up until now I was very positive about this season, feeling that we were coming out of the tunnel and only lacked a few signings off of being a really good team again. I just hope this is not a sign of discord in the camp otherwise we will go backwards again.
ABP' 
RankPostsTeam
Club Owner17252No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Nov 19 200221 yearsN/A
OnlineLast PostLast Page
27th Jan 15 16:0019th Jun 14 12:12LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

: Tue Feb 03, 2009 10:37 am  
As if the press were ever going to put an rosey and positive outlook in regards to another successful coach joining the Wigan staff.

Stuff like this is a reporters dream.

I'm not looking into it too much.
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach1445No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Nov 04 200815 yearsN/A
OnlineLast PostLast Page
12th Feb 09 17:251st Jan 70 00:00LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

: Tue Feb 03, 2009 10:45 am  
Tacitus wrote:
If Jones and Brian can work together positively without creating tension or cliques, then this could be a really good move for us. I just get nervous when I hear that Brian and Ian aren't getting along and a third party is being introduced.

On the other hand the press often misinterpret creative tension for the good of a team, as a bust up scenario. Just because two people have different views, doesn't mean they don't work well together.

Up until now I was very positive about this season, feeling that we were coming out of the tunnel and only lacked a few signings off of being a really good team again. I just hope this is not a sign of discord in the camp otherwise we will go backwards again.

I would not read anything into it. Brian Noble surrounds himself with 'friends' He would not work with Jones and Lenagan will never sack a coach because he will have to pay compensation.
jonh 
RankPostsTeam
Club Owner20145No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
May 27 200321 years45th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
24th Apr 24 21:4424th Apr 24 20:30LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
educating League Freak on all things rugby league
Signature
Unofficially the most boring poster on Cherry and White.

: Tue Feb 03, 2009 11:12 am  
Charlie Seeling wrote:
I would not read anything into it. Brian Noble surrounds himself with 'friends' He would not work with Jones and Lenagan will never sack a coach because he will have to pay compensation.

If IL wants to hire him in some capacity though there is not much Noble can say, there is no way he can come in as the senior coach, but possibly as a player performance manager which most clubs now have but i am not sure if we do.

Its hard to say what IL has in mind really as Noble is into the last year of his contract maybe IL is looking longer term beyond the Noble era. IL must certainly have started thinking about the coaching position next year. I am sure if he is sacked (which will not happen in my opinion) he will be due compensation, but if he choses to walk away that is another matter.

As i said on the other thread IF he comes it will be very interesting to see in what capacity and Nobles reaction to it. I agree with Alex though to be fair, i would be suprised if the move did happen, as even if he leaves Sarries there must be other clubs in Union that would covet his signature and be able to offer more financially to recruit him.
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach3787No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 10 200519 yearsN/A
OnlineLast PostLast Page
19th Jul 20 09:449th Mar 20 15:24LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

: Tue Feb 03, 2009 11:27 am  
jonh wrote:
If IL wants to hire him in some capacity though there is not much Noble can say, there is no way he can come in as the senior coach, but possibly as a player performance manager which most clubs now have but i am not sure if we do.

Its hard to say what IL has in mind really as Noble is into the last year of his contract maybe IL is looking longer term beyond the Noble era. IL must certainly have started thinking about the coaching position next year. I am sure if he is sacked (which will not happen in my opinion) he will be due compensation, but if he choses to walk away that is another matter.

As i said on the other thread IF he comes it will be very interesting to see in what capacity and Nobles reaction to it. I agree with Alex though to be fair, i would be suprised if the move did happen, as even if he leaves Sarries there must be other clubs in Union that would covet his signature and be able to offer more financially to recruit him.

Your last point is the more valid IMO. If we can't attract RU players how can we attract coaches? The gulf between the 2 sports is widening daily, with Sky showing up to 8 live games a week. There is simply no way we can compete, I'm afraid.
jonh 
RankPostsTeam
Club Owner20145No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
May 27 200321 years45th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature

: Tue Feb 03, 2009 11:34 am  
jinkin jimmy wrote:
Your last point is the more valid IMO. If we can't attract RU players how can we attract coaches? The gulf between the 2 sports is widening daily, with Sky showing up to 8 live games a week. There is simply no way we can compete, I'm afraid.

The only thing that may be of interest to him is that it for his own personal development.

The bloke will not be short of a bob or 2 in fact he is probably financially very comfortable and could retire tomorrow, he does seem to have an interest in League and as has been mentioned on some of the articles is a keen student of the game, if his motivation is purely financial i would doubt we could compete, or would want to given he has no experience of League, but if he is looking at the possibility for intrinsic reasons then there could be a chance.

Its all speculation though and paper talk, i personally would like to see it happen in a Player Performance Management roll, but i just cannot see it.
RankPostsTeam
International Chairman32310
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 17 200222 years163rd
OnlineLast PostLast Page
24th Apr 24 19:5123rd Apr 24 17:57LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
SAINTS THE ORIGINAL AND PERENNIAL CHEATS

For sale full Saints kit (circa 1989). Shirts in pristine condition, but shorts badly soiled.

For 27 - 0 you get a trophy
For 75 - 0 you get sod all.

Wigan had eight in a row
Saints have five in a row

: Tue Feb 03, 2009 11:53 am  
Don't all Superleague Clubs HAVE to have a player performance manager in place?

I'm sure I've seen in mentioned before.
jonh 
RankPostsTeam
Club Owner20145No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
May 27 200321 years45th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature

: Tue Feb 03, 2009 12:12 pm  
Rogues Gallery wrote:
Don't all Superleague Clubs HAVE to have a player performance manager in place?

I'm sure I've seen in mentioned before.

Yes they do which is why i thought we may be being linked with him, as i am not aware anyone has that position at Wigan.
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach1735No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Sep 02 200717 yearsN/A
OnlineLast PostLast Page
7th Mar 23 07:1110th Oct 22 16:36LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

: Tue Feb 03, 2009 12:17 pm  
jinkin jimmy wrote:

I take it that you mean 8 games including matches played in the Southern Hemesphere as well.

Union has a problem coming. Over the last decade most clubs have been proped up by the so called sugar daddies. First of these clubs was the Newcastle Falcons which was ran by the former Newcaastle Fotball club owner. Now its becoming a very expensive game to run and its rumored they can not keep Johny Wilkinson when his contract expires. Bristol is another feeling the crunch. Though teams like Leicster, London Irish do flourish well. Over half the union clubs are now facing a financial problem. The Welsh WRU were forced over 6-7 years ago to go to regional rugby of the clubs would have gone bust.

Almost half the union are clubs are facing a similar dilema in England. A good number of clubs have poor standard stadia compared to what most SL clubs will have and football stadiums in the country.

Re: Eddie Jones there is no chance of him going to another union club in England as that would mean a coach getting sacked for him to get a job in the first place. Apart from Wasps no other side at the bottom of the table would be able to afford his wage demand. Id be surprised if he took the Bristol job given that they are odds on to go down. Newcastle are broke and Worcster has no chance of achieving anything in the next few years. That only leaves Wasps as the only place he could go and that means Ian Mcgechan and Edwards getting sacked, and i cant see that happening.

Eddie Jones is the best union coach over the last decade or so if he does come it will benefit the club in getting it professionally set up. But it cant be at the expense of Nobles authority.
PreviousNext