FORUMS FORUMS

RLFANS.COM
Celebrating
25 years service to
the Rugby League
Community!

Current LIVE TV Match : St.Helens 8 - 13 Warrington Wolves LIVE ON BBC Ashton Try, Thewlis Goal
WWW.RLFANS.COM • View topic - World Club Challenge - Wigan v Penrith
Re: World Club Challenge - Wigan v Penrith : Fri Feb 23, 2024 3:11 pm  
Itchy Arsenal wrote:
I’m in that boat. If Havard, Thompson and Walters were playing I’d be more upbeat. The one thing that makes me think that there is a chance of a win is Peet. He’s a smart lad and I’m pretty sure that he will have a couple of surprises up his sleeve.

When we've been beaten in these in previous years we've pointed to a lack of size and it's what makes those losses so frustrating. You have 2 huge lads in Havard and Walters missing (as well as probably the next in line after Walters in Nsemba) and Thompson is that sort of quick, powerful forward that makes up for any lack in physcial size. They'd make a pretty big difference I think but the losses might not be terminal (keeping Havard, Nsemba and Walters hidden from NRL eyes might not hurt in the long run mind).

One thing I would like to think is that we can have another couple of cracks at this over the lifetime of this team/squad (the next 5 years or so) and while we all want to win tomorrow, this feels like the start of this teams journey and the experience will help whatever the result. Saints win last year felt like something they'd built towards for 5 years, with all their success and guys like Roby and LMS retiring at the end of that season. The feel around this game for Wigan is a bit different IMO.
Re: World Club Challenge - Wigan v Penrith : Fri Feb 23, 2024 3:18 pm  
Itchy Arsenal wrote:
I’m in that boat. If Havard, Thompson and Walters were playing I’d be more upbeat. The one thing that makes me think that there is a chance of a win is Peet. He’s a smart lad and I’m pretty sure that he will have a couple of surprises up his sleeve.

Thompson is the big one for me - if we'd have had 5 senior front rowers with Thompson doing a good stint from the start I'd probably have felt a little better. Hill will have a crack but I think this game is a bit early for him. Peet will have a game plan but there won't be any margin for error.
Re: World Club Challenge - Wigan v Penrith : Fri Feb 23, 2024 3:38 pm  
MadDogg wrote:
Thompson is the big one for me - if we'd have had 5 senior front rowers with Thompson doing a good stint from the start I'd probably have felt a little better. Hill will have a crack but I think this game is a bit early for him. Peet will have a game plan but there won't be any margin for error.

I do agree but he is more experienced then one of their young props (Liam Henry) so that could be a good match up for him and a good time to bring him on.
Re: World Club Challenge - Wigan v Penrith : Fri Feb 23, 2024 4:14 pm  
MadDogg wrote:

Agree about Thompson. Having him and Cooper on the field together would have been a big plus. I like Hill. I think that he will enjoy the physicality of the game. Byrne could be the lad to really step up tomorrow.
Re: World Club Challenge - Wigan v Penrith : Fri Feb 23, 2024 8:31 pm  
Can you park on the car park behind the East Stand? You could pay on there towards the back end of last season. Just wondering if you can tomorrow.

Never mind - sorted. You can and it's £5
Re: World Club Challenge - Wigan v Penrith : Sat Feb 24, 2024 3:00 pm  
Anyone going to brickmakers? Riding solo today
Re: World Club Challenge - Wigan v Penrith : Sat Feb 24, 2024 5:34 pm  
FearTheVee wrote:
You're falling into the trap of caring what Wigan fans think about a Saints trophy again :)

Just been to jawbone it's closed, nearest pub in that area is th Queens
Re: World Club Challenge - Wigan v Penrith : Sat Feb 24, 2024 9:53 pm  
Bent. Hopefully the Aussies boycott it in the future amateur hour officiating.
Re: World Club Challenge - Wigan v Penrith : Sat Feb 24, 2024 10:02 pm  
Leeds fan here - just wanted to say congrats for the win there tonight, Peet is a classy coach and Wigan did SL proud tonight.
Re: World Club Challenge - Wigan v Penrith : Sat Feb 24, 2024 10:11 pm  
Well done from a fc fan here….with your bench decimated,you bloody hung in there and came down to the 2trys,thought it was a try at the end but who bloody cares…you stuffed it up the aussies and no dodgy red cards :wink: :wink:
PreviousNext