JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 23 200618 years263rd
OnlineLast PostLast Page
28th Mar 24 11:1728th Mar 24 11:17LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
Current thoughts - Mago out or get running up them plantations, get fit or get rid.
Maybe a back up halfback, someone with a bit of experience on a short term deal.
Big tall strong running second rower, like a McMeekin or Sironen type back rower.

Re: Thank God It's Over : Fri Sep 24, 2021 8:30 pm  
Pieman wrote:
:wink: no I dont, ive a friend who worked with Wigans academy last year (maybe year before cant remember with covid) before moving to Leigh who has said he thinks Peet will do well as he is proper strict and wont put up with any nonsense, that didnt change my mind as I feel the backroom as a whole have let us down

This is true, but Peet needs to learn his trade and make mistakes at a lesser club rather than ours.
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach7438No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 14 200519 years167th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
25th Feb 24 13:2825th Feb 24 13:26LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Thank God It's Over : Sat Sep 25, 2021 5:42 am  
post wrote:
This is true, but Peet needs to learn his trade and make mistakes at a lesser club rather than ours.

As pointed out on another thread he’s an assistant just as Wane, Mags, Holbrook, Bellamy and a whole raft of other coaches were. It is an unarguable fact that every Head Coach is promoted from assistant coach to that or another club. You’re talking of wanting him to get experienced and be experienced but you have no clue as to what he does or how good he is at our club right now. Neither of us hold a crystal ball and can say either way what’s going to happen - but even if we somehow did a modern miracle and brought in Bellamy, there’s no guarantee it works out. Every appointment is a risk, some higher than others.

He wouldn’t have been my choice admittedly but we’ve got to get behind him and support his tenure right up until we don’t. He deserves that at least.
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach5193No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 23 200618 years263rd
OnlineLast PostLast Page
28th Mar 24 11:1728th Mar 24 11:17LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
Current thoughts - Mago out or get running up them plantations, get fit or get rid.
Maybe a back up halfback, someone with a bit of experience on a short term deal.
Big tall strong running second rower, like a McMeekin or Sironen type back rower.

Re: Thank God It's Over : Sat Sep 25, 2021 6:48 am  
100% Warrior wrote:
As pointed out on another thread he’s an assistant just as Wane, Mags, Holbrook, Bellamy and a whole raft of other coaches were. It is an unarguable fact that every Head Coach is promoted from assistant coach to that or another club. You’re talking of wanting him to get experienced and be experienced but you have no clue as to what he does or how good he is at our club right now. Neither of us hold a crystal ball and can say either way what’s going to happen - but even if we somehow did a modern miracle and brought in Bellamy, there’s no guarantee it works out. Every appointment is a risk, some higher than others.

He wouldn’t have been my choice admittedly but we’ve got to get behind him and support his tenure right up until we don’t. He deserves that at least.

The reason he has been picked is the same reason the likes of Martin McLoughlin was given the role of Marketing Director. Another internal appointment thats smacks of lack of imagination and lack of talent identification and more jobs for the boys which didn't pay off. Is IL and KR scared to death they'll get some chancer from the outside so would rather give the job to someone they already see every day no matter how good they are?

If we were riding high then it wouldn't be that bad to appoint an internal candidate but we are not, we need rebuilding. I'm not having a former coach of Wigan youth has earned their stripes because anyone could coach Wigan academy and be successful because of the players in the set up.

I want a coach appointed who gets the zing back, who can bring back my want to watch Wigan, and appointing Peet would be more nepotism at the club.
RankPostsTeam
International Star4469
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 20 201311 years84th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
12th Sep 23 17:4931st Aug 23 13:19LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Thank God It's Over : Sat Sep 25, 2021 8:09 am  
It won't matter you anyway post so I don't know why you're so angry about it
RankPostsTeam
International Star109No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 13 201410 years274th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
25th Mar 24 21:1723rd Feb 24 22:16LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Thank God It's Over : Sat Sep 25, 2021 9:23 am  
I have been watching Wigan since 1961 and in all that time I have never missed watching a live game during the season. Even when we were bad in the 70’s and early 80’s I travelled all over to watch them. I was at the first game against Fulham, watched them play in France and twice in Australia. But this season is a first for me. I haven’t been to a single game. For a while I was a little concerned about being in the vulnerable age group for covid but latterly I was just uninspired by the total lack of imagination in attack. I listen to Cooper Cronk a lot and he waxes lyrical about the half back’s prime job of taking on the line and that a good half back creates three options when he gets to the line. I haven’t seen that all season from either Smith or Hastings and that, for me, is down to coaching.

Like almost everyone else I am uninspired by the signings for next season and the rumoured coaching promotion of Matty Peet. But unlike others I am prepared to give them a chance. And who knows, if our attack improves even marginally we may start to look attractive again and I will be back watching live. I really do hope so because 2022 has a ring of last chance saloon about it.
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach7438No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 14 200519 years167th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
25th Feb 24 13:2825th Feb 24 13:26LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Thank God It's Over : Sat Sep 25, 2021 9:37 am  
post wrote:
The reason he has been picked is the same reason the likes of Martin McLoughlin was given the role of Marketing Director. Another internal appointment thats smacks of lack of imagination and lack of talent identification and more jobs for the boys which didn't pay off. Is IL and KR scared to death they'll get some chancer from the outside so would rather give the job to someone they already see every day no matter how good they are?

If we were riding high then it wouldn't be that bad to appoint an internal candidate but we are not, we need rebuilding. I'm not having a former coach of Wigan youth has earned their stripes because anyone could coach Wigan academy and be successful because of the players in the set up.

I want a coach appointed who gets the zing back, who can bring back my want to watch Wigan, and appointing Peet would be more nepotism at the club.

And you know Peet won’t do that how? Because he’s coached a team that, in your opinion doesn’t need coaching? Come off it man.

Equally I don’t know if he will be a success. But I’m willing to give him a chance and support his reign. Not write it off before it’s even been officially announced like some who last I heard had no desire to watch Wigan again. So with that in mind, why do you care?
Ruddy Duck 
RankPostsTeam
International Board Member
JoinedServiceReputation
22 years303rd
OnlineLast PostLast Page
1st Jan 70 00:0020th Jun 22 17:41LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Thank God It's Over : Sun Sep 26, 2021 7:59 am  
Over the season, some supporters have called Lam rotten for being a Coach with no previous experience as a top Coach, but now want to replace him with someone who also has no real experience has a top experienced Coach and has been part of the same coaching team under Lam.

Talk about jumping from the frying pan into the fire!
RankPostsTeam
International Star4469
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 20 201311 years84th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
12th Sep 23 17:4931st Aug 23 13:19LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Thank God It's Over : Sun Sep 26, 2021 8:26 am  
Ruddy Duck wrote:
Over the season, some supporters have called Lam rotten for being a Coach with no previous experience as a top Coach, but now want to replace him with someone who also has no real experience has a top experienced Coach and has been part of the same coaching team under Lam.

Talk about jumping from the frying pan into the fire!

No. They've called him rotten for being a poop coach.
Ruddy Duck 
RankPostsTeam
International Board Member
JoinedServiceReputation
22 years303rd
OnlineLast PostLast Page
1st Jan 70 00:0020th Jun 22 17:41LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Thank God It's Over : Mon Sep 27, 2021 7:50 am  
Egg Chasing wrote:
No. They've called him rotten for being a poop coach.

And no doubt, many other Coaches would have been the same with the squad we now have at the club, especially during the last season when due to injuries, some long term, more than normal suspensions and a squad of only around a couple of dozen players due to the terrible financial situation of the club.

You can not make a silk purse out of a sow's ear!
RankPostsTeam
Club Coach7718
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 30 200420 years78th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
28th Mar 24 18:3927th Mar 24 22:54LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Sorting my Erection out & Helping Conroy With his!

Re: Thank God It's Over : Mon Sep 27, 2021 8:51 am  
Ruddy Duck wrote:
And no doubt, many other Coaches would have been the same with the squad we now have at the club, especially during the last season when due to injuries, some long term, more than normal suspensions and a squad of only around a couple of dozen players due to the terrible financial situation of the club.

You can not make a silk purse out of a sow's ear!

Lam has had a couple of unusual circumstances (Edwards/Covid) to deal with

The same squad that in all 3 years were tipped by most to finish top 2/3 in their predictions
A squad that has got numerous internationals/man of steel winners/ multiple GF, CC and WCC winners.
A squad that despite what you say above has as much if not more depth than most clubs in SL

Injuries - seem unfortunate, some hes managed their game time terribly
Suspensions - Some really stupid ones, my take is the players were becoming increasingly frustrated and ultimately, its his culture thatvhe installs that creates the discipline (or lack of).

I admire your defence of Lam despite the overwhelming evidence
3 years of progressively worse rugby which, IMO, left us looking at times amateurish in its style of play etc.
Baffling statements in the press
Baffling team selections (I've said previously there's been multiple occasions it was know players weren't playing and he claimed it was a alst minute issue to defend/make excuses for poor results) and how hes dealt with certain players etc. Behindnthe scenes and the problems that created.
Constant failure (apart from a 5/6 game spell end of 2020) to compete and/or win big games/semi finals etc.
10 half decent/good performances in what? A hundred or more matches, simply nowhere near good enough

I could go on, but won't, because your not interested in facts. You just want to blame it all on IL and Rads and be controversial (When IL and Rads have had a Hundred times more on their plates than Lam, but you don't afford them the luxury of your empathy).
I look forward to you accusing me of bullying you, being part of some clique, having a go at you or anyone else who has different opinions when in reality its you who is the one who cries loudest and longest about other peoples opinions when they dont match your own.
PreviousNext