Jul 16 200519 years214th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
18th Apr 24 22:0614th Dec 23 10:22LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
Frank Zappa wrote:
Some scientists claim that hydrogen, because it is so plentiful, is the basic building block of the universe. I dispute that. I say there is more stupidity than hydrogen, and that is the basic building block of the universe.

The_Enforcer wrote:
Most idiotic post ever goes to Grimmy..... The way to restart should be an arm wrestle between a designated player from each side.

Re: Squad for Wire : Thu Jul 29, 2021 7:14 am  
Trainman wrote:
That one has really irked me. It wasn’t intentional however he was kicked in the head twice which is a penalty. He then goes on to call time off for someone with cramp!

Being unintentionally kicked isn't a penalty, no. They were correct to play on as no tackle had been completed. They would have had no way to restart the game otherwise. I do think they should have gone to the video ref to check whether there was anything intentional from Charnley though.

I think people aren't realising (or are wilfully ignoring) that Marshall was getting medical assistance as the break was happening. Putting time off mid-play wouldn't have got him treatment any quicker than he did get it.
RankPostsTeam
International Star3868
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 25 201212 years110th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
19th Apr 24 18:5517th Apr 24 14:10LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
23 LEAGUE TITLES
20 CHALLENGE CUPS
5 WORLD TITLES
SAYS IT ALL REALLY

Re: Squad for Wire : Thu Jul 29, 2021 7:55 am  
Grimmy wrote:
Being unintentionally kicked isn't a penalty, no. They were correct to play on as no tackle had been completed. They would have had no way to restart the game otherwise. I do think they should have gone to the video ref to check whether there was anything intentional from Charnley though.

I think people aren't realising (or are wilfully ignoring) that Marshall was getting medical assistance as the break was happening. Putting time off mid-play wouldn't have got him treatment any quicker than he did get it.

100% he should have gone to the video ref.

Hicks doesn't learn and never will. He lost Saints a CC final a few years back because of his cock sure attitude. This is the problem with these guys - they are too protected and in turn they are turning into mini divas who want the attention to be on them. His billy big balls attitude of 'look at me making decisions' is pathetic. When anything is said either by coaches, owners or fans on social he's melts.

What a stupid rule btw. You can accidently kick someone in the head and it's not a pen, but you accidentally tackle someone high and get a penalised.
Grimmy 
RankPostsTeam
Club Coach15436
JoinedServiceReputation
Jul 16 200519 years214th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
Frank Zappa wrote:
Some scientists claim that hydrogen, because it is so plentiful, is the basic building block of the universe. I dispute that. I say there is more stupidity than hydrogen, and that is the basic building block of the universe.

The_Enforcer wrote:
Most idiotic post ever goes to Grimmy..... The way to restart should be an arm wrestle between a designated player from each side.

Re: Squad for Wire : Thu Jul 29, 2021 8:53 am  
sergeant pepper wrote:

Hicks doesn't learn and never will. He lost Saints a CC final a few years back because of his cock sure attitude. This is the problem with these guys - they are too protected and in turn they are turning into mini divas who want the attention to be on them. His billy big balls attitude of 'look at me making decisions' is pathetic. When anything is said either by coaches, owners or fans on social he's melts.

What a stupid rule btw. You can accidently kick someone in the head and it's not a pen, but you accidentally tackle someone high and get a penalised.

I'd say the difference is that if you tackle someone high, it's always going to be at least reckless, because you were trying to make contact with them, you've just done it in the wrong place. I would hope that Charnley wasn't trying to make contact with Marshall at all. If he gets penalised for that, then he would also definitely be red carded, by the way, which I'm sure people would be equally up on arms about.
RankPostsTeam
International Star3868
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 25 201212 years110th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
19th Apr 24 18:5517th Apr 24 14:10LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
23 LEAGUE TITLES
20 CHALLENGE CUPS
5 WORLD TITLES
SAYS IT ALL REALLY

Re: Squad for Wire : Thu Jul 29, 2021 9:32 am  
Grimmy wrote:
I'd say the difference is that if you tackle someone high, it's always going to be at least reckless, because you were trying to make contact with them, you've just done it in the wrong place. I would hope that Charnley wasn't trying to make contact with Marshall at all. If he gets penalised for that, then he would also definitely be red carded, by the way, which I'm sure people would be equally up on arms about.

I'm certainly not saying that Charnley did it on purpose. I'm also not expecting a red, or anything. A pen would have been fine.

There's plenty of situations in the game where accidents happen and they, in turn, lead to pens. Someone falling into a tackle & being hit high or being taken out in the air etc. You can't one week say "concussion prevention is the highest importance to the game" and then say a boot to the head isn't worthy of a pen.
jonh 
RankPostsTeam
Club Owner20138No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
May 27 200321 years46th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
19th Apr 24 13:2919th Apr 24 03:54LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
educating League Freak on all things rugby league
Signature
Unofficially the most boring poster on Cherry and White.

Re: Squad for Wire : Thu Jul 29, 2021 9:55 am  
Whilst I don’t think it was at all deliberate I do think it was reckless.

Players have an obligation to protect themselves and they also have an obligation to protect their opponent.

Charnley didn’t.

For me it should have been a penalty but ultimately it wasn’t and it’s yesterday’s news.

Despite Lam’s comments and what seemed to be an improvement in attitude we didn’t deserve to win that game regardless although I have to say is the most frustrating performance I’ve seen from us in a long time as the platform was laid for the first time in a long time and we looked to have forgotten how to capitalise.
Grimmy 
RankPostsTeam
Club Coach15436
JoinedServiceReputation
Jul 16 200519 years214th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
Frank Zappa wrote:

The_Enforcer wrote:

Re: Squad for Wire : Thu Jul 29, 2021 10:30 am  
sergeant pepper wrote:
I'm certainly not saying that Charnley did it on purpose. I'm also not expecting a red, or anything. A pen would have been fine.

There's plenty of situations in the game where accidents happen and they, in turn, lead to pens. Someone falling into a tackle & being hit high or being taken out in the air etc. You can't one week say "concussion prevention is the highest importance to the game" and then say a boot to the head isn't worthy of a pen.

You can't just stick a penalty on a kick to the head if it's intentional or reckless. It's so dangerous that it's got to be a red card if you're deeming Charnley to be at fault. If it's completely accidental then it's play on. Similar to when a defender cops a stray boot after a tackle when the attacker is wrestling to stand and play the ball. People generally accept those, it's the exact same principle.
RankPostsTeam
Club Captain4652
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 05 20159 years210th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
19th Apr 24 18:4219th Apr 24 21:46LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Squad for Wire : Thu Jul 29, 2021 10:56 am  
Ruddy Duck wrote:
I don't think you will be on your own judging by the size of the crowd at the last home game which cannot be blamed on Covid19

Sez you. You don't know what's going on inside other people's heads, and neither do I. But i am certainly cautious about going to games, especially away games, and I find it hard to believe I'm the only one. Now you can argue that people's concerns and worries are unfounded, but that's not the point, They surely exist, and will continue to do so for quite some time.
RankPostsTeam
Club Captain1227
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 12 20158 years303rd
OnlineLast PostLast Page
27th Jan 24 07:1622nd Jan 24 19:06LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Squad for Wire : Thu Jul 29, 2021 12:33 pm  
moto748 wrote:
Sez you. You don't know what's going on inside other people's heads, and neither do I. But i am certainly cautious about going to games, especially away games, and I find it hard to believe I'm the only one. Now you can argue that people's concerns and worries are unfounded, but that's not the point, They surely exist, and will continue to do so for quite some time.

Well the hubby and I aren’t chancing away games this season we will wait till things are a little clearer by next year
RankPostsTeam
Club Captain4480
JoinedServiceReputation
Jul 17 20159 years12th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
19th Apr 24 19:0719th Apr 24 12:33LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
Just my opinions unless it's a FACT, in which case it's a fact.

Re: Squad for Wire : Thu Jul 29, 2021 12:40 pm  
sergeant pepper wrote:

The difference with the high tackle is that you have intended to tackle. Had Charnley tried to kick the ball and instead accidentally kicked his head he would have been in trouble. However he didn’t try and kick the ball it was an unfortunate set of circumstances and the decision was correct in my view. I have to say I would have gone to the video ref but I don’t think the outcome would have been any different.
RankPostsTeam
Club Coach7733
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 30 200420 years82nd
OnlineLast PostLast Page
19th Apr 24 17:1319th Apr 24 11:14LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Sorting my Erection out & Helping Conroy With his!
Signature
Fans Forum 28.08.08 Fan from Haydock

"I've got one word for you Mr Chairman - Penalty Count"

[quote="The Daddy"]I've got one word for you all......Steve Hanley[/quote]

Some Salford fan said to me and I quote "You are by far and away the most Handsome & Knowledgeable Rugby League Fan in England!"

I thanked him and went on my Merry way!

RIVERCAVE DWELLER OF THE YEAR 2015!

"The club used you last night and didn't tell the truth."

Officially one of the 119 Mugs used by the club

Re: Squad for Wire : Thu Jul 29, 2021 3:22 pm  
Grimmy wrote:

Yet 2 weeks ago you were saying the ref had to stop a game because he needed to get the medical people on?
Now I know I'm being a bit disingenuous - but the principal is the same
In future when players go down with head knocks as I said on the other thread there should be no need to stop the game as the medical people have all the permissions to enter the field of play. Especially when later in the game we were stopping the game for Cramp! Cramp! for gods sake!!!!

As for the incident - Agree completely it was unintentional.
The ref should have gone to the VR irrespective (And they should look at the Ratchford Hastings coming together).

My opinion - It's a penalty
However - All chip paper now
PreviousNext