RLFANS.COM
Celebrating
22 years service to
the Rugby League
Community!
WWW.RLFANS.COM • View topic - Rumours and signings v9
Re: Rumours and signings v9 Thu Jun 10, 2021 8:51 pm  
cherryandwhitedavid06 User avatar
Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

Joined: Thu Aug 31, 2006 12:02 pm
Posts: 1489
Location: Wigan
The Jenna Brooks thing was weird.

I’d love to think it was because Sky wanted to break the Williams to Wigan news but perhaps Wigan wanted to release it directly

Extremely wishful thinking haha
"Games as big as a grand finals define individuals and clubs. Remember we are only renting these shirts, I had my time in Pat Richards shirt. Ellery and Faz had there time in Sean's, Hampo and Radders in Sam's. You have to make a mark in these shirts that's still there the day you hand it over to someone else. So be aware for 80 minutes you are not only playing but also writing history and creating a legacy. How many people get to actually write history, not many. A big stage demands big players, be inspired. You play for Wigan, now go do it. Good luck." - Martin Offiah, 2010.
Re: Rumours and signings v9 Thu Jun 10, 2021 9:17 pm  
Rogues Gallery User avatar
Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

Joined: Thu Oct 17, 2002 12:07 pm
Posts: 31783
Which players of quality have ANY CLUB confirmed as signing from another club for next year?
SAINTS THE ORIGINAL AND PERENNIAL CHEATS

For sale full Saints kit (circa 1989). Shirts in pristine condition, but shorts badly soiled.

For 27 - 0 you get a trophy
For 75 - 0 you get sod all.

Wigan had eight in a row
Saints have five in a row
Re: Rumours and signings v9 Thu Jun 10, 2021 9:19 pm  

User avatarjonh wrote:
jonh User avatar
Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

Joined: Tue May 27, 2003 3:21 pm
Posts: 17997
Location: educating League Freak on all things rugby league
100% Warrior wrote:
That’s not what I said though is it? I’ve never once called for IL to go, nor have I either ever called for KR to go. So your better getting your facts straight.

I said we’re being linked with players that are dross and if you try and describe Thornley, Gelling and Richardson as anything else you’re deluded. We’re also being linked with players we don’t need, partly because they’re dross but primarily because we need bloody props.

I don’t expect us to be signing marquee players left right and centre. Never once insinuated that either but you seem happy with signing (or being linked to) sub standard players - why? Explain the necessity for Richardson? Gelling? Thornley? Mason? The latter being a prop who is no better than what we have even if he had had a few good games. The first 3 would be a huge step back. You might be happy signing other SL clubs (and our own) rejects but I’m not.

We’ve a sub standard coach, a quality squad (minus a good prop or 2) which is being decimated and replaced with sub standard players (or at least rumoured to be). Which part of that is the good bit?

And as above; this is a rumours thread. I’m entitled to give my opinion on rumours .



I don’t believe I quoted you or mentioned you as saying anything.

What I can do though is look back over this thread both the last few pages and more that see Wigan fans calling the club out over ambition, financial position and recruitment policy over nothing more than rumours.

I fully appreciate the desire to comment on players when we are linked with them, but to call our ambition and the rest over players we haven’t actually signed I find bizarre.
Unofficially the most boring poster on Cherry and White.
Re: Rumours and signings v9 Thu Jun 10, 2021 9:36 pm  

Grimmy wrote:
Grimmy Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2005 3:05 pm
Posts: 15059
Miski and Thornley battling over one spot would be alright by me to be honest if it went that way. Maybe a better situation that with a slightly better starter with Hanley/Halsall as backup, especially with the rate our backs seem to get injured (maybe due to the amount of hard yards we ask of them?).

Can't see any logic in Richardson. Wouldn't come as backup (and would be too expensive), wouldn't want him as a starter. Surely a starting halfback is where you would use up more cap space and get a star. Especially as we would have a youngster partnering him who presumably isn't costing the earth and would benefit from an experienced partner.

Mason I'm alright with as long as we're bringing in one pack leader too. Can't see him taking up much cap space so just some added competition and experience in a weak position for us.

Having said that, we could get none of them, so way early to be getting worked up.
Frank Zappa wrote:
Some scientists claim that hydrogen, because it is so plentiful, is the basic building block of the universe. I dispute that. I say there is more stupidity than hydrogen, and that is the basic building block of the universe.

The_Enforcer wrote:
Most idiotic post ever goes to Grimmy..... The way to restart should be an arm wrestle between a designated player from each side.
Re: Rumours and signings v9 Thu Jun 10, 2021 10:40 pm  

User avatarjonh wrote:
jonh User avatar
Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

Joined: Tue May 27, 2003 3:21 pm
Posts: 17997
Location: educating League Freak on all things rugby league
Grimmy wrote:
Miski and Thornley battling over one spot would be alright by me to be honest if it went that way. Maybe a better situation that with a slightly better starter with Hanley/Halsall as backup, especially with the rate our backs seem to get injured (maybe due to the amount of hard yards we ask of them?).

Can't see any logic in Richardson. Wouldn't come as backup (and would be too expensive), wouldn't want him as a starter. Surely a starting halfback is where you would use up more cap space and get a star. Especially as we would have a youngster partnering him who presumably isn't costing the earth and would benefit from an experienced partner.

Mason I'm alright with as long as we're bringing in one pack leader too. Can't see him taking up much cap space so just some added competition and experience in a weak position for us.

Having said that, we could get none of them, so way early to be getting worked up.


I think there is room for both Miski and Thornley assuming certain players leave.

My main concern if we were to recruit Miski is we would more than likely be going with wing options of him, Marsh or Bibby.

That’s a real lack of height on the edges which could leave us vulnerable to the cross field kick.
Unofficially the most boring poster on Cherry and White.
Re: Rumours and signings v9 Thu Jun 10, 2021 10:45 pm  

Grimmy wrote:
Grimmy Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2005 3:05 pm
Posts: 15059
jonh wrote:
I think there is room for both Miski and Thornley assuming certain players leave.

My main concern if we were to recruit Miski is we would more than likely be going with wing options of him, Marsh or Bibby.

That’s a real lack of height on the edges which could leave us vulnerable to the cross field kick.

That can be neutralised to some extent by having your centres/halfbacks delaying the opposing winger's run, which they can legally do as long as they are moving towards the ball and get there before the opposition player. It needs to be a very good kick to overcome that tactic.
Frank Zappa wrote:
Some scientists claim that hydrogen, because it is so plentiful, is the basic building block of the universe. I dispute that. I say there is more stupidity than hydrogen, and that is the basic building block of the universe.

The_Enforcer wrote:
Most idiotic post ever goes to Grimmy..... The way to restart should be an arm wrestle between a designated player from each side.
Re: Rumours and signings v9 Thu Jun 10, 2021 11:02 pm  

User avatarjonh wrote:
jonh User avatar
Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

Joined: Tue May 27, 2003 3:21 pm
Posts: 17997
Location: educating League Freak on all things rugby league
Grimmy wrote:
That can be neutralised to some extent by having your centres/halfbacks delaying the opposing winger's run, which they can legally do as long as they are moving towards the ball and get there before the opposition player. It needs to be a very good kick to overcome that tactic.


If your centre/half is delaying the opposition wingers run, who are they covering if they throw a pass instead?

Due to most teams having tall wingers teams tend these days to aim for the half in the line ie 3rd man in and put a second row at him off the cross field kick.

It’s very possible our halves will be Smith and Williams who are not exactly tall then we have 2 short players on the wings.

It’s also likely we have 2 short secondrows too in Faz and Bateman.
Unofficially the most boring poster on Cherry and White.
Re: Rumours and signings v9 Fri Jun 11, 2021 7:10 am  

User avatar[Gareth] wrote:
[Gareth] User avatar
Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

Joined: Mon Jun 20, 2005 12:30 pm
Posts: 14775
Location: Listening to the reggae band, Jihad
Id say we need a new coach before worrying about some lad from London
"Ich bin Platz eins, ja"
Re: Rumours and signings v9 Fri Jun 11, 2021 7:22 am  
cherryandwhitedavid06 User avatar
Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

Joined: Thu Aug 31, 2006 12:02 pm
Posts: 1489
Location: Wigan
Rumours on the other forums that we’re enquiring about Tom Davies’ plans for 2022 as well as exploring opportunities for Sam Tomkins.

I can’t see why both would come back given the fantastic lifestyle and the fact they’re now challenging for honours. Only reason could be COVID and limited travel back home etc.

Also hunting for a key prop to come in alongside Mason

It also mentioned we are in talks to re-sign Bibby and Powell
"Games as big as a grand finals define individuals and clubs. Remember we are only renting these shirts, I had my time in Pat Richards shirt. Ellery and Faz had there time in Sean's, Hampo and Radders in Sam's. You have to make a mark in these shirts that's still there the day you hand it over to someone else. So be aware for 80 minutes you are not only playing but also writing history and creating a legacy. How many people get to actually write history, not many. A big stage demands big players, be inspired. You play for Wigan, now go do it. Good luck." - Martin Offiah, 2010.
Re: Rumours and signings v9 Fri Jun 11, 2021 9:43 am  

User avatar[Gareth] wrote:
[Gareth] User avatar
Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

Joined: Mon Jun 20, 2005 12:30 pm
Posts: 14775
Location: Listening to the reggae band, Jihad
"Ich bin Platz eins, ja"
PreviousNext

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Alffi_7, Bing [Bot], Cbr1000rr, cheekydiddles, ChrisA, dany1979, Darwen Warrior, Dezzies_right_hook, Google [Bot], hengirl, Itchy Arsenal, Jason65, MadDogg, muttywhitedog, NickyKiss, nidger, Paul Youane, Pieman, ralvag, roo67, sergeant pepper, The Magic Rat and 234 guests

Quick Reply



Subject:
Message:

   
Please note using apple style emoji's can result in posting failures.

Return to Wigan Warriors


POSTSONLINEMEMBERSRECORDTEAM
5,169,7901,82378,6316,308LOGIN
LOGIN HERE
or REGISTER for more features!.
When you register you get access to the live match scores, live match chat and you can post in the discussions on the forums.
YOU HAVE RL CHAT OFF
RLFANS Match Centre
Sat 19th Jun
L1
LIVE
West Wales10-60Crusaders
L1
LIVE
LondonS14-24Barrow
NRL RND: 15 Newcastle10-6NZ Warriors
NRL RND: 15 St.George22-20Canberra
NRL RND: 15 Melbourne66-16Wests
SL
LIVE
Leigh22-64Hull FC
Fri 18th Jun
NRL RND: 15 NQL Cowboys24-26Cronulla
NRL RND: 15 Penrith32-18Sydney
SL RND: 10 Huddersfield8-9Salford
SL RND: 10 Wigan8-18Hull KR
Thu 17th Jun
NRL RND: 15 Brisbane0-46Souths
SL RND: 10 St.Helens2-6Warrington
Wed 16th Jun
SLRND: 10 Wakefield12-18Castleford
Mon 14th Jun
NRL RND: 14 Canterbury28-6St.George
Sun 13th Jun
WSL RND: 5 Hudds W8-44Wire W
NRL RND: 14 NZ Warriors16-42Melbourne
NRL RND: 14 Parramatta40-12Wests
CH RND: 9 Dewsbury12-56Toulouse
CH RND: 9 Featherstone44-0Bradford
CH RND: 9 Halifax30-6York
This is an inplay table and positions can change as matches are in play.
National Rugby League 2021 ROUND : 14
 PLDFADIFFPTS
Melbourne 14 472 178 294 24
Penrith 14 418 133 285 24
Parramatta 14 400 224 176 22
Souths 13 341 282 59 20
Sydney 13 379 223 156 18
Manly 13 315 282 33 14
 
St.George 14 299 312 -13 12
NQL Cowboys 13 264 383 -119 12
Cronulla 13 244 298 -54 10
Gold Coast 14 318 380 -62 10
Canberra 13 257 321 -64 10
NZ Warriors 13 281 347 -66 10
Wests 14 292 374 -82 10
Newcastle 14 231 366 -135 10
Brisbane 14 232 436 -204 6
Canterbury 13 162 366 -204 4
This is an inplay table and positions can change as matches are in play.
Betfred Super League XXVI ROUND : 10
 PLDFADIFFPTSDIFFWP%
Catalans 9 268 142 126 16 188.73 88.89
St.Helens 9 208 76 132 14 273.68 77.78
Wigan 9 166 154 12 14 107.79 77.78
Warrington 10 308 159 149 15 193.71 75
Hull FC 10 243 165 78 13 147.27 65
Hull KR 10 241 212 29 12 113.68 60
 
Castleford 10 203 244 -41 10 83.20 50
Leeds 8 150 136 14 6 110.29 37.50
Huddersfield 9 158 171 -13 6 92.40 33.33
Wakefield 10 175 249 -74 4 70.28 20
Salford 10 115 297 -182 4 38.72 20
Leigh 10 156 386 -230 0 40.41 0
This is an inplay table and positions can change as matches are in play.
Betfred Championship 2021 ROUND : 10
 PLDFADIFFPTSDIFFWP%
Toulouse 7 347 70 277 14 495.71 100
Featherstone 8 306 76 230 16 402.63 100
Bradford 9 228 216 12 14 105.56 77.78
Batley 8 228 160 68 12 142.50 75
LondonB 9 226 216 10 11 104.63 61.11
Halifax 9 271 135 136 10 200.74 55.56
 
York 9 219 180 39 8 121.67 44.44
Sheffield 9 211 249 -38 8 84.74 44.44
Widnes 9 226 263 -37 7 85.93 38.89
Dewsbury 8 115 227 -112 6 50.66 37.50
Newcastle 8 168 246 -78 5 68.29 31.25
Whitehaven 9 160 278 -118 5 57.55 27.78
Oldham 9 134 330 -196 4 40.61 22.22
Swinton 9 152 345 -193 0 44.06 0
This is an inplay table and positions can change as matches are in play.
Betfred League One 2021 ROUND : 6
 PLDFADIFFPTSDIFFWP%
Barrow 6 251 66 185 12 380.30 100
Doncaster 6 250 126 124 10 198.41 83.33
Workington 6 210 106 104 10 198.11 83.33
Keighley 6 228 147 81 6 155.10 50
Hunslet 6 146 147 -1 6 99.32 50
Coventry 5 118 144 -26 4 81.94 40
 
Rochdale 6 161 196 -35 4 82.14 33.33
Crusaders 6 122 218 -96 4 55.96 33.33
LondonS 5 114 212 -98 2 53.77 20
West Wales 6 82 320 -238 0 25.63 0
This is an inplay table and positions can change as matches are in play.
Betfred Womens Super League 2021 ROUND : 6
 PLDFADIFFPTSDIFFWP%
St.HelensW 3 230 6 224 6 3,833.33 100
LeedsW 3 214 22 192 6 972.73 100
WiganW 3 158 18 140 6 877.78 100
CastlefordW 3 104 24 80 6 433.33 100
YorkW 3 76 102 -26 2 74.51 33.33
Wire W 4 86 154 -68 2 55.84 25
 
FeatherstoneW 4 74 164 -90 2 45.12 25
BradfordW 4 60 180 -120 2 33.33 25
Hudds W 4 46 222 -176 2 20.72 25
WakefieldW 3 16 172 -156 0 9.30 0
RLFANS Recent Posts




X