Jan 09 20231 year246th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
29th Apr 24 09:078th Jan 24 14:29LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: 1895 Semi Final : Sun Jul 23, 2023 11:13 am  
BigTime wrote:
I think we could have done with Butler, who was cup tied or at least one of Napoli, Waine or Albert who were all injured to give the other forwards a rest. Bringing Stock off for Davies is not a like for like although could work but as you say we seemed a little flat or devoid of attacking ideas. Didn’t think Norman was as dominant as he has been. Defence wise neither side could be faulted but very little attacking threat. We didn’t come out the second half as fired up as them and they clearly had the better of the first twenty without being amazingly threatening but it got them the two penalties which gave them. Cushion. I Remain unconvinced by Ranalui although he seemed more involved. I thought he was going to be a big player for us but I’m sure that’s happened. Did Whare come on? If so, not sure he was influential. We have quite a few big units amongst our younger recruits but I assume we felt this was too much of a risk.

Yeah I think we missed the size and impact of Ethan and Rob and Emmanuel to an extent. I thought Halifax controlled the ruck pretty well and it had an effect on our energy and concentration levels.

I think Whare was on at the end, played the last 20 mins or so. Probably wise in the conditions and on that pitch not to risk it too much.

Agreed on Rawalui. I was excited when he signed but I was also unsure he was the dominant 7 we needed. Pretty telling he's been shoveled out to the centres and I'm not sure he'd be my first choice if Ethan or Emmanuel were fit. Could see him as a utility off the bench maybe, or to 13 if we needed to.
RfE 
RankPostsTeam
Club Captain950
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 05 20186 years160th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
16th May 24 11:5812th May 24 18:44LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
Rise like Lions after slumber
In unvanquishable number--
Shake your chains to earth like dew
Which in sleep had fallen on you--
Ye are many -- they are few.'

Percy Bysshe Shelley - 'The Mask of Anarchy'

' ITS OVER' - Roy Orbison

Re: 1895 Semi Final : Sun Jul 23, 2023 4:06 pm  
Disappointing result yesterday but the priority has to be the championship.
Despite a dodgy start we’ve picked up really well and are only a point behind Fax. At the start of the season I’d have been happy to have avoided relegation!
Lots of home games to come, and while I’m not normally given to optimism I’m in no way ruling us out from a playoff place- apart from Fev perhaps we can beat anyone on our day, in the case of Toulouse we’ve done it twice.
Our league form is good of late so I’m going into the final games of the season with hope!
COYB!!
RankPostsTeam
Club Captain2811No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jun 13 20177 years223rd
OnlineLast PostLast Page
6th May 24 07:434th May 24 09:18LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: 1895 Semi Final : Sun Jul 23, 2023 5:41 pm  
"A great opportunity to promote the club missed. Not good"
1895 cup will get zero press interest.

Arguably our last Wembley appearance cost us our best investment opportunity in Branson and Virgin,
RfE 
RankPostsTeam
Club Captain950
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 05 20186 years160th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature

Re: 1895 Semi Final : Sun Jul 23, 2023 7:05 pm  
[quote="northernbloke"
1895 cup will get zero press interest [/quote]

True.
But it might have been nice to see the team on the big stage.
Might even have enticed a few former fans out - if it went well they might even have considered a return to the fold.
Oh well……
Victor 
RankPostsTeam
First Team Player642
JoinedServiceReputation
Jul 21 20204 years143rd
OnlineLast PostLast Page
16th May 24 17:0016th May 24 14:39LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: 1895 Semi Final : Sun Jul 23, 2023 7:18 pm  
northernbloke wrote:
"A great opportunity to promote the club missed. Not good"
1895 cup will get zero press interest.

Arguably our last Wembley appearance cost us our best investment opportunity in Branson and Virgin,

Well NB, if you remember the Championship Shield Final, where we played and lost to Fev. Prior to the game Broncos got a lot of press both on TV, radio and the papers. Publicity that we never normally get.
Us making it to Wembley this season would have given the club something to sell to the Media.

On the subject of Branson/Virgin and the Broncos. 911 did for his involvement. The club had mounting losses and owning numerous businesses which were destined to suffer badly from the after effects of the 911 atrocity, Branson pulled the plug on Broncos and some other businesses he was involved with. David Hughes was left to pick up the reins.
Branson I believe, was not that great as an owner. Under his tenure we made it to the Cup final, for which he soaked up all the attention going, as is his way. Yet the club sold thousands of tickets for Wembley, they failed to garner any information on who bought them. Therefore failed to have any way of following up these sales and using it grow the fan base.
Richard only ever attended televised games, he did bring the club into the spotlight and bought in some good players, it was never going to last though. He was always going to lose interest in RL and the club. 911 just bought it to an end sooner rather than later.
RankPostsTeam
First Team Player1886
JoinedServiceReputation
Jul 24 20213 years59th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
16th May 24 21:1616th May 24 21:16LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: 1895 Semi Final : Sun Jul 23, 2023 10:21 pm  
RfE wrote:
True.
But it might have been nice to see the team on the big stage.
Might even have enticed a few former fans out - if it went well they might even have considered a return to the fold.
Oh well……

Yes that was my feeling too. Well maybe a similar chance will come around again in a couple of years. In the meantime we have York at home. Not feeling the love for the game after this disappointment I have to say.
RankPostsTeam
First Team Player1886
JoinedServiceReputation
Jul 24 20213 years59th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
16th May 24 21:1616th May 24 21:16LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: 1895 Semi Final : Sun Jul 23, 2023 10:23 pm  
Victor wrote:
Well NB, if you remember the Championship Shield Final, where we played and lost to Fev. Prior to the game Broncos got a lot of press both on TV, radio and the papers. Publicity that we never normally get.
Us making it to Wembley this season would have given the club something to sell to the Media.

On the subject of Branson/Virgin and the Broncos. 911 did for his involvement. The club had mounting losses and owning numerous businesses which were destined to suffer badly from the after effects of the 911 atrocity, Branson pulled the plug on Broncos and some other businesses he was involved with. David Hughes was left to pick up the reins.
Branson I believe, was not that great as an owner. Under his tenure we made it to the Cup final, for which he soaked up all the attention going, as is his way. Yet the club sold thousands of tickets for Wembley, they failed to garner any information on who bought them. Therefore failed to have any way of following up these sales and using it grow the fan base.
Richard only ever attended televised games, he did bring the club into the spotlight and bought in some good players, it was never going to last though. He was always going to lose interest in RL and the club. 911 just bought it to an end sooner rather than later.

Say what you like about David Hughes but he stayed sat in the main stand all game. Branson wouldn’t have put up with that. That’s commitment....or insanity!
RankPostsTeam
Club Captain2811No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jun 13 20177 years223rd
OnlineLast PostLast Page
6th May 24 07:434th May 24 09:18LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: 1895 Semi Final : Sun Jul 23, 2023 11:04 pm  
No other news papers apart from the standard RL press has any interest at all In the 1895 Cup. I put money on the women's final may get a mention but other than that nothing. Yes it would have been nice to see them play at Wembley but as for making any difference to the club It would have achieved very little.
The only way broncos will get any press is if they go full time again! For that you need an investor with very deep pockets and a dream! Until then we rely on Mr Hughes like it or not.
RankPostsTeam
International Board Member429
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 19 200222 years300th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
14th May 24 23:388th Mar 24 16:46LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: 1895 Semi Final : Mon Jul 24, 2023 12:09 am  
northernbloke wrote:
No other news papers apart from the standard RL press has any interest at all In the 1895 Cup. I put money on the women's final may get a mention but other than that nothing. Yes it would have been nice to see them play at Wembley but as for making any difference to the club It would have achieved very little.
The only way broncos will get any press is if they go full time again! For that you need an investor with very deep pockets and a dream! Until then we rely on Mr Hughes like it or not.

Actually, we did get a quarter page report in the Sunday Mirror, under the three quarter page report on the Leigh v St Helens game.
On the facing page, was a big article on the, yet to be played, Wigan Hull KR tie and opposite us, a quarter page artivle on the Youk v Batley tie.
RfE 
RankPostsTeam
Club Captain950
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 05 20186 years160th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature

Re: 1895 Semi Final : Mon Jul 24, 2023 9:36 am  
Victor wrote:

As long as Branson got publicity for himself and the Virgin brand he was happy - at least that's how it seemed to me.
Remember him at the CC final at Wembley, still makes me cringe!
PreviousNext