Feb 11 201113 years162nd
OnlineLast PostLast Page
27th Mar 24 20:5220th Mar 24 15:01LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Eccles : Mon Sep 12, 2022 9:51 am  
Was anybody at the post -game meeting? Did they answer any questions like

1) Are they planning to improve the match day experience, or should we expect that DH assumes 2K fans will turn up to watch us get turned over by the mighty Keithley, Barrow and Widnes with just the Rugby on offer with one refreshment stand open?
2) Will we be binning the wire kit and going back to black
3) Prices for next year, will a ST be at £6 per game? Or are they expecting ST to pay £17 a game while normal fans can get it for less than a tenner for the 2nd half of the season (when they panic on only having gates of 500 people)
4) How many games at Ebbsfleet next year 1,2 have they any idea?

Its a forgone conclusion we will be PT next year, and have pretty much the same squad as this year, so no chance of playoffs next year at all, while the other clubs will all strengthen.
RankPostsTeam
First Team Player1827
JoinedServiceReputation
Jul 24 20213 years54th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
28th Mar 24 08:2528th Mar 24 08:24LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Eccles : Mon Sep 12, 2022 4:15 pm  
Deadcowboys1 wrote:
I'm assuming P/T as you would have thought if going F/T, then announce it when you appoint your F/T Director of Rugby & Performance.

Notice Hughes only really gave qualified support to Cakeman saying he was ok for this level (not in those words of course). Are the 2 Asst Coaches supposed to be F/T?

One of the problems with Broncos, is that when they say something (which is a rarity), it always raises more questions than answers.

Absolutely Part Time Im afraid DC. I wonder if Eccles is PT as well. Bearing in mind the imbalance between career risk and reward of being in a coaching position in the South East I would have thought it would be shrewd to keep his irons in the fire. I do wonder about the 2 assistants though. What’s that about? One for the attack and one for the defence? Who defers to whom? Like most on here retaining a squad that finished 11th I find a little underwhelming but if we had an any way competent retention policy going into season we’d probably have finished higher so it’s good he seems to have got that message across. Starting afresh at start of season is a recipe for disaster. It’s also a hard message but he seems to be saying signing players from up North is generally a mugs game because they want to be in the North and any decent offer and they’ll be back there. That makes grim reading but is probably true. I remain of the view the guy has the club at heart and is pretty sound strategically. What his tactical ability is I simply am not well placed to judge. Crash might be right we just experienced a new coach bump. Time will tell but think back to last year when the new coach was announced then a stream of outgoings...so many they didn’t even bother to say some had gone and then the L1 recruitment and the endless tranches of Skolars players we seem to be in a better place than that now. Low bar but still. Now they have to convince me a 2023 ST is a sensible financial decision.....
RankPostsTeam
International Star680
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 11 201113 years162nd
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Eccles : Mon Sep 12, 2022 4:25 pm  
BigTime wrote:
Absolutely Part Time Im afraid DC. I wonder if Eccles is PT as well. Bearing in mind the imbalance between career risk and reward of being in a coaching position in the South East I would have thought it would be shrewd to keep his irons in the fire. I do wonder about the 2 assistants though. What’s that about? One for the attack and one for the defence? Who defers to whom? Like most on here retaining a squad that finished 11th I find a little underwhelming but if we had an any way competent retention policy going into season we’d probably have finished higher so it’s good he seems to have got that message across. Starting afresh at start of season is a recipe for disaster. It’s also a hard message but he seems to be saying signing players from up North is generally a mugs game because they want to be in the North and any decent offer and they’ll be back there. That makes grim reading but is probably true. I remain of the view the guy has the club at heart and is pretty sound strategically. What his tactical ability is I simply am not well placed to judge. Crash might be right we just experienced a new coach bump. Time will tell but think back to last year when the new coach was announced then a stream of outgoings...so many they didn’t even bother to say some had gone and then the L1 recruitment and the endless tranches of Skolars players we seem to be in a better place than that now. Low bar but still. Now they have to convince me a 2023 ST is a sensible financial decision.....

Agree we are in a better position than last year (this time last year we all was expecting either to not finish the season or get relegated), so yes based on that benchmark I am more optmistic going into next year, than I was at the start of this year.

But tbh as London Broncos its a pretty shambolic benchmark in that we expect 2023 to be the 2nd worst in recent history (only better than this season). But at least I am not expecting us to get relegated next season or to go out of business so there is that
RankPostsTeam
International Star1673No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 29 201013 years59th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
28th Mar 24 00:3324th Mar 24 23:04LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Eccles : Mon Sep 12, 2022 6:17 pm  
If Cakeman isn't full time, what has changed since Hughes who said wanted a F/T Coach dispensed with Mustard who preferred P/T? Be funny if the only P/T Coaches interested in the job were Mustard & Bro.
RankPostsTeam
First Team Player1625No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 21 20213 years67th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
26th Mar 24 05:3725th Mar 24 02:42LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Eccles : Mon Sep 12, 2022 9:11 pm  
crashmon wrote:
Agree we are in a better position than last year

Are we though?
This time last year we'd finished 7th with 11 wins and a draw and 8 losses. This year we've played 7 more games but lost 17 and we finished 11th.
This time last year it was odds on we were moving to a new stadium and there was some (not from here) belief that we might see an upswing in crowds, whereas now we are wondering out loud if the club even care about the match day experience after a season of ZERO effort to engage with fans other than sorting Twitter out in June. No kids or community stuff on the pitch, no push to get folk to the Ladies games, cancelled Reserve and academy matches due to lack of staff......and at every turn, not one sign that lessons have been learnt and mistakes will not be repeated.
There were some nicely rounded attendance figures given through the season with Dewsbury still missing altogether, but it is fair to assume that we have struggled to match the gates achieved in 2018 and that was with 2 inflated crowds of Wimbledon freebies.
This time last year and in the run up to the new season there was a serious worry about the squad and dicing with relegation. At this stage, we know that Keighley look to be a stronger proposition that either Dewsbury or Town were this year and we will again be reliant on the likes of Newcastle and Bradford to struggle to ensure our safety. My gut feeling is that it will again be July before we will be mathematically safe.

This "one club" malarkey is a poor effort at an apology and I sincerely hope that they drop this infatuation with the Gold and Silver lounges....if Hughes, Loubser and Kemp really want 2023 to be an improvement on this shambles of a year then they really need to take down paywalls and barriers and open the club up to everyone. We know they look upon fans on forums as a nuisance and not indicative of "the real world' but the reality is Hughes has 26 more home games to achieve his 5k average target......he's 4k short at the moment. With discounting etc, it is fair to assume that matchday ticketing revenue this year has been sub £10,000 a game. With little if any funding from anywhere else, Hughes will again be footing the bills for wages, rent, insurance etc....with gate receipts barely covering Kemp and Loubser's wages.

It does look like Cakeman has secured some additional funding from Hughes for back-room staff and medics, which is a positive, but if we get to February and a half arsed appeal for volunteers again because Hughes won't bankroll office staff, then I see us ending 2023 with a sub 500 average and having the same inquest next september saying "2024 will be better'.......
RfE 
RankPostsTeam
Club Captain947
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 05 20186 years152nd
OnlineLast PostLast Page
27th Mar 24 21:2922nd Mar 24 15:29LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
Rise like Lions after slumber
In unvanquishable number--
Shake your chains to earth like dew
Which in sleep had fallen on you--
Ye are many -- they are few.'

Percy Bysshe Shelley - 'The Mask of Anarchy'

' ITS OVER' - Roy Orbison

Re: Eccles : Tue Sep 13, 2022 12:04 pm  
I'm being Devil's Advocaat here, Eccles started well but things have faded a bit - is he going to do a Rob Powell ?
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach7392No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 23 200618 years156th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
7th Feb 24 10:5912th Jul 23 05:57LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
Mac out!

Re: Eccles : Tue Sep 13, 2022 12:52 pm  
RfE wrote:
I'm being Devil's Advocaat here, Eccles started well but things have faded a bit - is he going to do a Rob Powell ?

Very good chance I would say. Why not bring in Wardty PT as one of the coaches. Few quid in his back pocket. What else coaching wise is available in the south with experience
RankPostsTeam
International Star680
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 11 201113 years162nd
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Eccles : Tue Sep 13, 2022 1:18 pm  
I still think he will win us a game before May next year :)
RankPostsTeam
International Star1673No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 29 201013 years59th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
28th Mar 24 00:3324th Mar 24 23:04LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Eccles : Tue Sep 13, 2022 3:09 pm  
wire-quin wrote:
Very good chance I would say. Why not bring in Wardty PT as one of the coaches. Few quid in his back pocket. What else coaching wise is available in the south with experience

While agree Ward would be a huge step up in class as a coach, Hughes should have grovelled for all he was worth to get him back.

But can't see him working under our new Director of Rugby either F/T or P/T sadly. What coaching credentials does Thorman have if he is appointed? Could the Ladies/Academy coaches step up? Still all a bit shambolic but at least the season is done.
RankPostsTeam
First Team Player1625No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 21 20213 years67th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
26th Mar 24 05:3725th Mar 24 02:42LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Eccles : Tue Sep 13, 2022 9:27 pm  
Deadcowboys1 wrote:
Still all a bit shambolic but at least the season is done.

I remember when we hated the season to end ........4 or 5 months of nowt........it seems relief that it's over us another barometer as to how far we've fallen
PreviousNext