OnlineLast PostLast Page
7th Feb 24 10:5912th Jul 23 05:57LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
Mac out!

What is a supporter : Wed Aug 17, 2022 12:36 pm  
Given the 'What is a women' definition that MPs can't decide on I was curious as to what the the definition of a 'supporter' is?

I only ask this as someones giving me grief on Twitter for not being a supporter. 20+ years watching the Broncos as a ST holder then dropping away when the standard of rugby didn't deserve my time nor the expense. He told me supporters watch through thick and thin. I asked him what had happened to the 5000 'supporters' from the Stoop days and it now seems to have gone quiet.

Given his definition of a supporter I would say we have 3-500 'supporters'

Any thoughts on is definition and how many of them we have???
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach7392No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 23 200618 years156th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
7th Feb 24 10:5912th Jul 23 05:57LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
Mac out!

Re: What is a supporter : Wed Aug 17, 2022 12:46 pm  
Here is a copy of the conversation. Are non supporters allowed on here!

Me after the celebrations post workington- Let’s celebrate mediocrity
Him-Are you a supporter?
Me- I was a ST holder for 20+ years. I won't travel and pay to watch a low level of rugby that I can see on the local park. How does that sound?
Him- You are welcome to your view, but if you haven’t seen the games live over the course of this season what information are you using to back up your view above? Let’s see what next season brings in the meantime enjoy the park.
Me-I don't need to go to gauge how poor the team is when it lingers in the bottom quarter of the Championship
Him-Enjoy the park and I’ll support the boys through think and thin cause that is what supporters do?
Me-So whats happened to the 5000 supporters that have disappeared since The Stoop? Enjoy rattling around a large football stadium watching Part time rugby
Him-And you call yourself a supporter! Bored!
Me-Where have I stated I’m a supporter. Don’t deflect from the question where are the 5000 lost supporters?
jbuzza 
RankPostsTeam
International Board Member5054
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 09 200222 years96th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
25th Mar 24 08:2824th Mar 24 23:48LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
Gus Mackay we salute you!!

Re: What is a supporter : Wed Aug 17, 2022 12:58 pm  
There is more than one type of supporter. It doesn't require sheepish blind faith.

There was no way I was going to buy a ST this year given the change of venue and likely quality of the rugby. I focussed on watching the academy, reserves and women's matches instead. I didn't see too many other 'supporters' at those. I did go to the Newcastle game where we were shockingly bad. Now, given the improvements and particularly the double header I bought a pass for the remaining home games.

The reality is we all have our own priorites and appetite for the club. Some will still support the club from a distance but prefer to remember the days before Hughes got too far into his destruction of it.
RankPostsTeam
Academy Player67
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 15 20222 years286th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
8th Aug 23 02:588th Aug 23 02:54LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: What is a supporter : Wed Aug 17, 2022 4:02 pm  
[quote="wire-quin"]Given the 'What is a women' definition that MPs can't decide on I was curious as to what the the definition of a 'supporter' is?

Well wisher ?
RankPostsTeam
First Team Player1625No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 21 20213 years67th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
26th Mar 24 05:3725th Mar 24 02:42LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: What is a supporter : Wed Aug 17, 2022 5:29 pm  
I suspect there are fewer "supporters" in August than there were last January.
The "official" supporters group were formed as nothing more than a snub to the LBSA, but no sooner had they had their first cult gathering, they were asked to volunteer and to a man woman and child began staring at their shoes. Then when their fuhrer was deposed and scuttled off back to his sweatshop, the vanished as effortlessly as they began, with no thought given to their purpose.
I was never a ST holder. I could never return to a commitment I had adhered to in football that ends up being detrimental to those around me, but I rarely missed games when possible. I helped out whenever asked or when an offer was accepted and I arranged away travel a couple of times. I am now extremely beligrent and critical of the owner, but this wasn't always the case.....but I back up my reasoning with facts and stats.
I consider myself a fan. Monday mornings at 5am I reach for my smart phone and the first page I go to is BBC sport, Rugby League results....I purchased tickets for my daughter and granddaughter for the double header and when next back in London I will drag myself to a game......but I won't stop being critical of the mistakes being made REPEATEDLY at the club, because I care......and that is the definition of a fan.....someone who cares enough to be critical of something they care for.......whereas the bloke you're debating with sounds like a psychophant (sic).
RankPostsTeam
International Star680
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 11 201113 years162nd
OnlineLast PostLast Page
27th Mar 24 20:5220th Mar 24 15:01LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: What is a supporter : Thu Aug 18, 2022 6:35 pm  
wire-quin wrote:
Given the 'What is a women' definition that MPs can't decide on I was curious as to what the the definition of a 'supporter' is?

I only ask this as someones giving me grief on Twitter for not being a supporter. 20+ years watching the Broncos as a ST holder then dropping away when the standard of rugby didn't deserve my time nor the expense. He told me supporters watch through thick and thin. I asked him what had happened to the 5000 'supporters' from the Stoop days and it now seems to have gone quiet.

I'm exactly like you are on this wire-quin, ST holder since 2001, but stopped last year (did the mid season offer last year so saw about 5 games at Ealing). This year I've been to one game which was Dewsbury, will be going this weekend but then that will be it for me this year. This is also the first time since 2001 I have not bought a replica kit (although if they have a fire sale on Sun with the Black top, I might bite)

Will I get a ST next year not a chance. Will I attend any games, depends what happens pre-season, but with the current set up can't see it. Not so much the team, but I would expect an effort on the day experience, like open up the f****ing fans zone for instance, get Buck back etc etc.
RankPostsTeam
First Team Player1827
JoinedServiceReputation
Jul 24 20213 years54th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
28th Mar 24 08:2528th Mar 24 08:24LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: What is a supporter : Tue Aug 23, 2022 1:06 pm  
wire-quin wrote:

This one would be slightly less easy to answer had things not moved the way they have in society more generally ( or seem to have done so if the media etc are correct) but the clue is surely in your 1st para. You define yourself a supporter and therefore you are.
As to you not going to watch so not having the right to an opinion apart from that argument not really holding water you benefit from a few of us going to the matches and offering our thoughts here and we have confirmed that during the Coleman regime we were pony and yes not really deserving of your time. In my view it was pretty clear this was going to be the case so your decision was sound. Money does t grow on trees and loyalty should not be exploited. In my view the club would have known the team and set up were sub par and so we’re trying it on. With me they got away with it with you not. In my view you were probably right.
RankPostsTeam
Club Captain135No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jul 02 20177 years274th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
27th Mar 24 06:1317th Mar 24 18:13LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: What is a supporter : Tue Aug 23, 2022 4:39 pm  
I agree with Big Time. From the little I saw under the previous coach the team seemed to be less than the sum of its parts. Mr Eccles has got them playing as a unit and I suspect they will give more or less every other team in this division a tough game at Wimbledon. So it probably is worth going to watch this team if you can.
RfE 
RankPostsTeam
Club Captain947
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 05 20186 years152nd
OnlineLast PostLast Page
27th Mar 24 21:2922nd Mar 24 15:29LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
Rise like Lions after slumber
In unvanquishable number--
Shake your chains to earth like dew
Which in sleep had fallen on you--
Ye are many -- they are few.'

Percy Bysshe Shelley - 'The Mask of Anarchy'

' ITS OVER' - Roy Orbison

Re: What is a supporter : Wed Aug 24, 2022 1:50 pm  
Hockley Bronco wrote:
I agree with Big Time. From the little I saw under the previous coach the team seemed to be less than the sum of its parts. Mr Eccles has got them playing as a unit and I suspect they will give more or less every other team in this division a tough game at Wimbledon. So it probably is worth going to watch this team if you can.

Shipping off most of the Skolars players back to Skolars helped a lot.
jbuzza 
RankPostsTeam
International Board Member5054
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 09 200222 years96th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
25th Mar 24 08:2824th Mar 24 23:48LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
Gus Mackay we salute you!!

Re: What is a supporter : Wed Aug 24, 2022 2:20 pm  
RfE wrote:
Shipping off most of the Skolars players back to Skolars helped a lot.

Who would have thought having a load of L1 players would mean L1 standard rugby.
Next