FORUMS FORUMS

RLFANS.COM
Celebrating
25 years service to
the Rugby League
Community!

WWW.RLFANS.COM • View topic - Ex employees of Hughes...where are they now?
RankPostsTeam
First Team Player1625No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 21 20213 years67th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
26th Mar 24 05:3725th Mar 24 02:42LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Ex employees of Hughes...where are they now? : Thu May 26, 2022 3:34 am  
Cally Willoughby-Ward was with us up to 2007.....she left to go to the O2 and is now Senior Global Marketing Director - Golf at IMG. She was a marketing person when with us and her current status shows there is talent there.
Paul Blanchard joined us from Hull KR & was deemed only good enough to be given the Job title of General Manager, before becoming CEO and then leaving us after just 20 months. Paul is now Chief Executive at Commonwealth Games England.....again, another that left near the start of Hughes control who went on to better things.
Gus Mackay replaced Paul, coming from a cricketing background. After decimating the club with a series of insane decisions, he left, was on "gardening leave" for over 2 years, joined a Kiwi owned start up which didn't...start up that is and then went to Worcester RU where he presided over a fall in fans and sponsor revenue before leaving and then after 6 months popping up at Cricket Scotland where he has just left after a 6 months suspension over a bullying culture investigation. I can only assume he's back on "Gardening Leave" :D
James Milner lists no prior roles on Linked in before he began stealing a wage for 2 years at the Broncos. He now claims to be the owner of APX Performance (All Sports Global Ltd) but a quick glance un the UK Government site shows that a Mr Abdul Qayyum Akram is the sole director. APX have recently opened a high Street store in Hull

It's interesting that those staff that left in the shortest period of time are the ones who now hold powerful roles on Sports Admin, whilst the 2 wage thieves are exactly where they deserve to be......as a side note, ex short term SENIOR head of Partnerships Richard Whiting has confirmed that the players read the boards and take fan criticism hard....by my maths he lasted 4 months and delivered nothing, finding out that Canadian Campus Beer Festivals are an easier sell than London Broncos. His current status is "Gardening Leave" but at least Hughes didn't give him the mandatory 2+ years free loading.
There are others who came and left over the last 15 years of Hughes, but the top 4 further identify his ability to reward YES MEN whilst ignoring the advice of people like Blanchard & Willoughby-Ward who patently know exactly what they are doing.
Cally Willoughby-Ward was with us up to 2007.....she left to go to the O2 and is now Senior Global Marketing Director - Golf at IMG. She was a marketing person when with us and her current status shows there is talent there.
Paul Blanchard joined us from Hull KR & was deemed only good enough to be given the Job title of General Manager, before becoming CEO and then leaving us after just 20 months. Paul is now Chief Executive at Commonwealth Games England.....again, another that left near the start of Hughes control who went on to better things.
Gus Mackay replaced Paul, coming from a cricketing background. After decimating the club with a series of insane decisions, he left, was on "gardening leave" for over 2 years, joined a Kiwi owned start up which didn't...start up that is and then went to Worcester RU where he presided over a fall in fans and sponsor revenue before leaving and then after 6 months popping up at Cricket Scotland where he has just left after a 6 months suspension over a bullying culture investigation. I can only assume he's back on "Gardening Leave" :D
James Milner lists no prior roles on Linked in before he began stealing a wage for 2 years at the Broncos. He now claims to be the owner of APX Performance (All Sports Global Ltd) but a quick glance un the UK Government site shows that a Mr Abdul Qayyum Akram is the sole director. APX have recently opened a high Street store in Hull

It's interesting that those staff that left in the shortest period of time are the ones who now hold powerful roles on Sports Admin, whilst the 2 wage thieves are exactly where they deserve to be......as a side note, ex short term SENIOR head of Partnerships Richard Whiting has confirmed that the players read the boards and take fan criticism hard....by my maths he lasted 4 months and delivered nothing, finding out that Canadian Campus Beer Festivals are an easier sell than London Broncos. His current status is "Gardening Leave" but at least Hughes didn't give him the mandatory 2+ years free loading.
There are others who came and left over the last 15 years of Hughes, but the top 4 further identify his ability to reward YES MEN whilst ignoring the advice of people like Blanchard & Willoughby-Ward who patently know exactly what they are doing.
RankPostsTeam
International Star1673No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 29 201013 years60th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
28th Mar 24 09:3324th Mar 24 23:04LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Broncos would make a great "fly on the wall" documentary. In the comedy category obviously. How can 1 man be so dumb & so rich at the same time? Well, slightly less rich than he might have been.
jbuzza 
RankPostsTeam
International Board Member5054
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 09 200222 years95th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
25th Mar 24 08:2824th Mar 24 23:48LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
Gus Mackay we salute you!!

Interesting that on Facebook Whiting reveals the club need to fill hospitality to fund investment in other areas. Is that how bad things have got ? I suggest Hughes top priority should be finding other investors as the club is doomed with him.
RankPostsTeam
First Team Player1827
JoinedServiceReputation
Jul 24 20213 years55th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
28th Mar 24 08:2528th Mar 24 08:24LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Ex employees of Hughes...where are they now? : Thu May 26, 2022 12:25 pm  
All told I don’t disagree with RW but the things that surprised me about what RW said were these:
1 that people were actually staying after games
2 that they were having a pop at the young players. Really? Is this a thing that happens all the time. Even on line we’ve been pretty restrained about the players. If that’s happening things have got toxic.
3 that he’s an ex employee.

.On 3 -Gee he seems to have lasted about 5 minutes. I thought he was helping Monkey or replacing him. Do we really have anyone working back office?
RankPostsTeam
Club Captain72No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 10 20185 years293rd
OnlineLast PostLast Page
2nd Jun 22 18:3127th May 22 23:01LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

orangeman wrote:

Neil Reynolds - Comms at Ealing who was made redundant ( didn’t leave contrary to reports) Media manager for England Wheelchair RL, RLWC2021 consultant( now ended his term) Assistant producer for Sky Sports.
Another one we let go.
Whether you liked him or not the coverage we had during the 2019 season was not an accident clearly as since his departure we have had radio silence.
orangeman wrote:

Neil Reynolds - Comms at Ealing who was made redundant ( didn’t leave contrary to reports) Media manager for England Wheelchair RL, RLWC2021 consultant( now ended his term) Assistant producer for Sky Sports.
Another one we let go.
Whether you liked him or not the coverage we had during the 2019 season was not an accident clearly as since his departure we have had radio silence.
RankPostsTeam
First Team Player1625No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 21 20213 years67th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

BigTime wrote:
that they were having a pop at the young players. Really? Is this a thing that happens all the time. Even on line we’ve been pretty restrained about the players. If that’s happening things have got toxic.

Just as long as they're not giving Hughes a hard time, eh :roll:
RankPostsTeam
International Star577No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 17 200914 years289th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
13th Jun 22 16:5512th Jun 22 15:40LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Hi there is a very long list of people who have left, let me try and name all the ones I can remember:

Harlequins RL circa 2006
Sarah Butler (communications)
Phil Jones (Head of Youth)
Laura Harrison
Emily Wise
Sonya Brown
Karl Martindale (Business Development Manager)
Chris Warren (match host)
Petra Walsh (operations)
Tony Rea
Brian McDermott
Rob Powell
Aurélie Eloïse (Sponsorship)
Lucy Duncombe (Football Manager)
Fulvia Marconi (Sponsorship)
Latham Tawhai (Coach)
Mick Howell (Coach)

Harlequins RL / becoming London Broncos (2010ish)
Cally Hocknell (Marketing)
Imogen Gaunt (Marketing)
Tony Langenegger (Commercial)
Dom Fenton (might be still with the club, Operations)
Keith Hogg (Lenagan's mate when he owned 2 clubs, in senior role)
Paul Brown (Lenagan's mate when he owned 2 clubs, in senior role)

London Broncos (2015sh, Barnet period)

Steve Devonshire (Press)
Amanda Purcell (Commercial)
Madison McDermott (Marketing)
Kayleigh Smith (Shop manager)
Lyndsey Ward (Shop manager)
Rob Powell (Director of Youth)
RankPostsTeam
Club Captain72No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 10 20185 years293rd
OnlineLast PostLast Page
2nd Jun 22 18:3127th May 22 23:01LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Ex employees of Hughes...where are they now? : Fri May 27, 2022 11:01 pm  
markrammond wrote:
Hi there is a very long list of people who have left, let me try and name all the ones I can remember:

Harlequins RL circa 2006
Laura Harrison
Emily Wise
Sonya Brown
Petra Walsh (operations)
Tony Rea
Brian McDermott
Rob Powell
Latham Tawhai (Coach)
Mick Howell (Coach)

Imogen Gaunt (Marketing)

Steve Devonshire (Press)

Lyndsey was Commercial
Madison was Communications
Neil was Media and Communications
Kayleigh was Marketing/ Shop/Merchandise
Richard Whiting was Partnerships
Milner was Commercial/Media/Marketing
RankPostsTeam
First Team Player1625No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 21 20213 years67th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Ex employees of Hughes...where are they now? : Mon May 30, 2022 10:07 pm  
markrammond wrote:
Petra Walsh (operations) Shameful the way she was treated...absolutely disgusting
Cally Hocknell (Marketing) NOW Willoughby-Ward see OP
Imogen Gaunt (Marketing) Fired by us, employed by Quins and ended up Director of Communications
RankPostsTeam
Club Captain20No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Sep 26 20186 years305th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
1st Sep 23 08:3915th May 23 17:15LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

markrammond wrote:

Harlequins RL circa 2006
Laura Harrison
Emily Wise
Sonya Brown
Petra Walsh (operations)
Tony Rea
Brian McDermott
Rob Powell
Latham Tawhai (Coach)
Mick Howell (Coach)

Imogen Gaunt (Marketing)

Steve Devonshire (Press)

I know Aurélie Eloïse through a friend of mine. When I moved back temporally from Australia to the UK in 2011 I did catch up with her . She moved to then a little known start up called Uber in the early 2010 as a Marketing Manager, do not think she did too badly. Now in a very senior Marketing role with Amazon covering Europe and the Middle East.

Latham Tawhai, wierdly enough I heard that he ended up at some point moving down and owning a petrol station/garage in North Cornwall, but as most of us know he is now a Coach for the Wales RL U20 side. I think he still lives in Cornwall, I think.

Chris Warren, when I finally left Australia for good in 2019, was a commentator for NRL games with Sydney radio station 2GB. I am sure Rooster can confirm this is still the case.

Thats all I have Mark. I hope you are well.