JoinedServiceReputation
May 11 20159 years296th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
10th May 24 21:5310th May 24 21:53LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Challenge Cup - A Day/Match Review : Sun Aug 13, 2023 9:01 am  
Apologies for this long thread but I felt the need to personally document the occasion.

First of all thanks to L.I.S.A for all the coach organisation. I was worried this would all fall apart and when we were one of the last coaches to leave but it would seem one coach didn't turn up so the pragmatics around (Starbug/Grubrats?) managed to find spare seats on the coaches that remained so no one we left behind (I'd hope).

The journey down was rather smooth sailing until we were diverted through Toddington to avoid a crash on the M1. A crash which I believe held up many supporters getting to the ground on time and I also believe could have resulted in the death of a supporter. If that is the case then my condolences go out to all concerned.

The journey back was a long one, though it is always fun to hear the adrenaline of the win subside as the body realises that the day has been long, the food has been a bit poor, the alcohol is taking it's toll, the voice could do with a rest and the body needs some sleep.

What can you say about that match. I've only watched the short highlights back this morning and it is all a blur, the match just flew by despite the actually length and drama.

Full credit to HKR, their defence was rock solid, especially after the went down to 12 and maybe if they'd been a bit more composed in attack the trophy might be theirs. Hall really stood out as did SKD.

Errors were many by both sides but I'm putting it down to the occasion.

We did look tired, we seemed to back off in defence and let them gain many yards but we always looked threatening in attack.

Our pack was the bedrock for everything. Amone, Mulhern and Asiata just lay a foundation for Lam to play behind. Thought Zak went really well too. I don't know if its the injury to Ricky but not much has been going to Josh recently, or maybe we have just changed our attack as opponents are wise to it.

Kai played his usual dominant self and I'm happy he's here for another 2 years. Hughes went well even if he did block Briscoe from clearing the ball for HKRs last minute try.

Talking of that, when you're about 90 seconds from winning the trophy I was pretty much resigned to being on the losing team after the equilising conversion went over. The ensuing Golden Point was madness. I don't feel at all it was a ball steal but it quickly came back to us when they failed to find touch. Could Gareth break HKR hearts yet again? NO.

Would Schneider score yet another last gasp drop-goal? NO.

Would Gareth...no Lachlan will.....

Tears were shed. With my mum, she has lost a lot of friends who were fans who didn't get to see this moment, I think many are also in the same boat and the emotions just flooded out.

Thank you to all involved with the club and all fellow fans. I'm now going to find a place that does a nice fry-up and wait for the trophy parade.
RankPostsTeam
Club Captain3331
JoinedServiceReputation
Jul 25 20159 years122nd
OnlineLast PostLast Page
9th May 24 22:369th May 24 22:36LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Challenge Cup - A Day/Match Review : Sun Aug 13, 2023 10:03 am  
Deeeekos wrote:
.......First of all thanks to L.I.S.A for all the coach organisation. I was worried this would all fall apart and when we were one of the last coaches to leave but it would seem one coach didn't turn up....

No28 - Bongser's coach!
RankPostsTeam
Fringe Player224
JoinedServiceReputation
Aug 07 20213 years267th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
11th May 24 15:599th May 24 18:10LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
@michaelward@genserver.social on Mastodon

Re: Challenge Cup - A Day/Match Review : Sun Aug 13, 2023 10:55 pm  
In bits about this result, this epic cup win, and I'm also pleased to say I got the opportunity to experience the game in the company of Vancouver Leyther.

I have to tell you there were tears, many, many tears.
RankPostsTeam
Fringe Player177No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jun 07 20213 years300th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
11th May 24 13:267th May 24 14:28LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Challenge Cup - A Day/Match Review : Mon Aug 14, 2023 5:18 pm  
Yet to watch the game back , but will be doing shortly no doubt.
On live viewing it seemed that both teams cancelled each other out , especially up the middle.
Our forwards get through enormous work which is probably why we are comfortable with 5 drives and a kick. Not always entertaining but did what we needed to do and did it well.
Can’t single one player out, really was a combined effort from all 17 .
Did have a bit of sympathy for SKD, any other day would have been MOM.
Reynolds yet again got involved on the stroke of half-time in a silly silly penalty to give away . He really needs to control his emotions.
Worst point of the day, HKRs pre meditated complaining on Asiata tackle , wasn’t nice to see.
RankPostsTeam
Club Captain363
JoinedServiceReputation
May 11 20159 years296th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
10th May 24 21:5310th May 24 21:53LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Challenge Cup - A Day/Match Review : Mon Aug 14, 2023 6:47 pm  
Best thing about the Asiata thing was Kendall saying "its currently a legal tackle" and then giving us the penalty.

I can't stop rewatching to Golden Point shenanigans. I like watching each individual player's reaction to the drop goal. Best for me is Mulhern, did a superb final drive to get us that much closer then watches Gaz pass to Lachlan and instinctively just turns around to the posts to hopefully watch the ball sail over, then does another 180 to join the pile-on.
RankPostsTeam
Fringe Player177No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jun 07 20213 years300th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
11th May 24 13:267th May 24 14:28LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Challenge Cup - A Day/Match Review : Mon Aug 14, 2023 8:48 pm  
Just seen a clip of Zak doing 4 tackles on the spin just prior to their attempted drop goal… couldn’t recall that bit, must of been the time I had my head buried in my hands !
RankPostsTeam
Fringe Player521
JoinedServiceReputation
Nov 13 20203 years250th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
11th May 24 09:4510th May 24 15:23LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Challenge Cup - A Day/Match Review : Mon Aug 14, 2023 9:03 pm  
Not sure I can add anything, my mind seems to be mush at the moment. Would like to say that the Rugby League community have been brilliant, and very gracious. With many Hull KR fans patting me on the back and congratulating me on the win whilst emptying the stadium. Not sure I am that gracious a loser.

My wife booked the tickets, not knowing that she had consigned us to the area next to the Hull KR end. To suggest it was like Rourke's Drift would give a good indication of the small number of Leopard fans in a sea of Red and White. My brother liked the partisan commentary and the unusual Rugby League Law interpretation from our Humberside brethren. Personally I was remarkably quiet, with none of my usual Rugby vernacular, "Ger em onside", "Forward", "Feeding" is an old favourite but not really applicable these days. I could have got away with another of my faves, "Kendal, you winker", it would appear Rovers fans are not overly fond of our friend in the middle.

Having watched the game on iPlayer, I must applaud the BBC for what was fantastic coverage and North West News for a week of Leopard TV. The game really was as tight as the scoreline suggested, and let's face it, Leigh have been winning ugly for several weeks now. Now is the time to pick up reins and aim for a possible Grand Final, starting with Catalans this week. Then we would have a Hollywood blockbuster on our hands.
RankPostsTeam
Fringe Player521
JoinedServiceReputation
Nov 13 20203 years250th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
11th May 24 09:4510th May 24 15:23LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Challenge Cup - A Day/Match Review : Mon Aug 14, 2023 9:05 pm  
Lower Creaser wrote:
Just seen a clip of Zak doing 4 tackles on the spin just prior to their attempted drop goal… couldn’t recall that bit, must of been the time I had my head buried in my hands !

Zak's tackling was every bit as important as Mulhern's barnstorming run.
RankPostsTeam
Academy Player170No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jul 25 20222 years300th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
11th May 24 11:0910th May 24 22:11LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Challenge Cup - A Day/Match Review : Thu Aug 17, 2023 1:01 am  
Now that I have managed to settle down now after all the euphoria of all that has happened, I just want to say a massive congratulations to the players, coaching staff and last but certainly not least the owner Derek. Also a massive thank you to all the fans who travelled in numbers to cheer the boys in. I just wish I could have been there, but sadly unable to be so. Back to the nitty gritty of league games and a huge game this weekend with Catalans. I just hope the team can get up for this one unlike the Wigan game. The fixtures haven’t been kind to us after the Semi final and final. COYL.