JoinedServiceReputation
Aug 10 20222 years311th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
20th Sep 22 18:4419th Sep 22 13:05LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

First playoff match : Sun Aug 28, 2022 10:06 pm  
Just looking at how the playoffs work. My understanding is that we will play the lowest ranked team at home remaining after Halifax, Barrow, Batley and York have done battle. My guess would be Barrow but under any scenario it can't be Halifax.
Cokey 
RankPostsTeam
Club Owner21155
JoinedServiceReputation
Aug 19 201113 years58th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
24th Apr 24 08:4524th Apr 24 21:15LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Across The Universe....... Jai guru deva om - Nothings gonna change my world.
Signature

Re: First playoff match : Sun Aug 28, 2022 10:43 pm  
Brighouseleyther wrote:
Just looking at how the playoffs work. My understanding is that we will play the lowest ranked team at home remaining after Halifax, Barrow, Batley and York have done battle. My guess would be Barrow but under any scenario it can't be Halifax.

Sure. The main thing is should we get to the final is, our discipline MUST be our 1st priority. No yellow/red cards to give our opponents any chance of getting any advantage over us. They just might use certain tactics to put us in that situation, for example, get under our skin, provoke, antagonize, or niggle us hoping for some kind of retaliation which we must avoid. McDermot just might have this in mind.
RankPostsTeam
Academy Player151No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jul 25 20222 years298th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
24th Apr 24 11:1524th Apr 24 05:46LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: First playoff match : Mon Aug 29, 2022 1:24 am  
I totally agree with you Cokey. In a one off game it is something teams will certainly consider as a way of getting us away from the game plan, but have complete faith in the coaching team to work on that. I would also not risk anyone who is carrying any niggles into the next couple of games, now the league leaders shield is now in the trophy cabinet.
RankPostsTeam
Fringe Player225
JoinedServiceReputation
Nov 14 20203 years250th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
19th Apr 24 23:1418th Apr 24 15:39LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
Graduate of Firs Maternity Home

Re: First playoff match : Mon Aug 29, 2022 4:01 am  
Leigh will benefit from several advantages going into the play offs which are the consequence of coming first in the league.

Firstly, they will play both games, if they win their semi, at the LSV.

For anyone else who was there at Fev in February on that night when we got well and truly turned over they are likely to share my abiding memory of that atrocious home pitch, the slope, the surface water and the mud, great big swathes of it. The advantage is not so much that we will play the play offs on the beautiful surface that is the LSV but that we will not be at risk of having to play at an away ground on a substandard pitch in which the home team are masters of its dimensions, its quirks, its conditions and its mud.

Secondly, whilst Leigh will play the 'easier' of the two semi's, against probably Barrow, although it could just as easily be Batley, assuming Fax dispose of a fairly limited York, the Leigh game is unlikely to be too demanding in comparison with the likely slug-fest that will be the other semi.

Yes, I was there at Barrow when Leigh should have lost but escaped with a win but, there were factors at play in that game which will not be present if we play them in the semi. We will not have played a huge game just 5 days previously - the 1895 Cup Final - we will have a full squad to choose from - there was significant rotation of players for that game at Barrow with several of the team selected that day being players who have been very much on the fringe of team selection for most of the season.

In addition, we will not be playing opponents fired-up by a raucous and deservedly partisan Cumbrian home crowd that encouraged their team to go for broke and give it a real dig after having gone 18-nil down to us mid way through the first half. Yes, Barrow played with no little skill that day but we must not overlook the fact that we had them by the throat and we took our boot off them. We let them off the hook. Spirited Barrow, or Batley will come to the semi at the LSV more in hope than expectation of causing an upset. Whilst they will try their best to test us the game itself should not be overly testing against game, but limited opponents.

Compare and contrast our game with the likely fireworks that will be present in the West Yorkshire derby that will be the other semi. Yes, Fev have been a good second best team in the Championship division but Fax are not too far behind in terms of quality of players and standard of play. Their fans certainly had a sense of grievance following their first game against Fev where they felt that they did not get a fair bounce of the ball, that their team was very much in the contest and that Fax could and perhaps should have won on the day.

A Fev v Fax semi will be a full bloodied affair with everything at stake. Whichever team wins will be counting the bruises and worriedly scanning the injuries. Just as importantly they might be looking worriedly to the outcomes of disciplinary proceedings if it all kicks off during that game, which could well occur. The game will be a huge high and for whoever wins they have to raise themselves and go again just a week later, against almost certainly Leigh. They face the problem of lifting themselves physically and emotionally for the biggest game of the season after coming off an all or nothing, winner takes all, huge game the week before.

These factors, I am convinced, are not only relevant but that they are also very much in Leigh's favour. However, having said all of this, it does not, of course, mean that Leigh are guaranteed to win the final, far from it. All of the above will count for nowt if Leigh fail to turn up and perform in either play off game but I just cannot see this team, that we have at present, doing that. Leigh it is then for Super League.
RankPostsTeam
Academy Player8No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Aug 10 20222 years311th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
20th Sep 22 18:4419th Sep 22 13:05LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: First playoff match : Mon Aug 29, 2022 7:06 am  
Thoughts turning to our strongest team should everyone be available for the playoff matches. Pretty sure we'll go with 4 foward subs so i think the forwards pick themselves. Backline is more diffcult. Lachlan or Ben, i'm not sure but will probably be Lachlan. The four threequarters from Ferguson, McDonald, Brand, Chamberlain, Inu, and Charnley. Probably go with Ferguson, McDonald, Chamberlain, and Inu. Hard to leave out Josh with all his big match experience.
RankPostsTeam
Fringe Player225
JoinedServiceReputation
Nov 14 20203 years250th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
19th Apr 24 23:1418th Apr 24 15:39LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
Graduate of Firs Maternity Home

Re: First playoff match : Mon Aug 29, 2022 7:27 am  
That team selection looks about right with me.

One potential variation would see Inu play centre instead of Chamberlain, allowing Charnley to be selected on the wing.

This would be hugely tough on Chamberlain who has been great for us this season, but, it is now tough decision time. There has to be zero room for sentiment.
RankPostsTeam
Fringe Player500
JoinedServiceReputation
Nov 13 20203 years252nd
OnlineLast PostLast Page
23rd Apr 24 22:5124th Apr 24 21:57LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: First playoff match : Mon Aug 29, 2022 9:08 pm  
Predicted Squad for Playoff games:
1. Aekins
2. Ferguson
3. Chamberlain
4. McDonald
5. Inu
6. Lam
7. Mellor
8. Sidlow
9. Smith
10. Amone
11. Stone
12. Wardle
13. Asiata
14. Ipape
15. Ioane
16. Nakubuwai
17. O'Donnell

Reynolds, Charnley and Brand possible reserves

Inu for me is a better winger than Charnley and offers more utility, speed and bulk, plus he is the main goal kicker.
Reynolds is unfortunate to miss out, but this is what Lam was brought over to do.
Brand the dependable utility back, has had a great season but this is the sharp end of the season.

Charnley is starting to worry me slightly, considering his pedigree. 171 games for the Pies, 107 for Warrington - 245 tries in Rugby League, but his last season at Warrington was an unhappy one and he still appears hesitant near the try line. I am worried that he may struggle at Super League level, which is a crazy notion for the 3rd highest try scorer in Super League, and possibly would be top, but for 2 seasons at Sale Sharks.