FORUMS FORUMS

RLFANS.COM
Celebrating
25 years service to
the Rugby League
Community!

WWW.RLFANS.COM • View topic - Leigh Centurions Named As Superleagues Twelfth Side for 2021
RankPostsTeam
Club Captain42No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 11 20177 years302nd
OnlineLast PostLast Page
27th Mar 24 19:1616th Mar 24 18:50LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Seen Keanan Brand play a few times for Warrington and looks to have a lot of potential but would have been more suited to a year in the championship. Think it is a numbers game as well as quality squad needs to be that bit bigger for SL as tougher comp with more injuries. Sure Derek and John will be doing all they can to bring the best players in we can but usual scenario have only a couple of months to make it happen when other teams have been planning and negotiating.
RankPostsTeam
International Board Member13026
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 21 200222 years278th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
4th Feb 24 22:303rd Feb 24 19:22LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
How is education supposed to make me feel smarter? Besides, every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain. Remember when I took that home winemaking course, and I forgot how to drive?

Septimius Severus wrote:
Excellent Jack. Summed up my thoughts exactly.

W/ow you and Jack join within a day of each other.Must be due to our elevated SL status, that draws fans from other clubs!!!
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach3939
JoinedServiceReputation
Sep 04 200519 years195th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
28th Mar 24 02:0423rd Mar 24 14:29LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
First game was in 1967, and have been hooked since day 1. Now live in Vancouver, Canada but follow our team any way I can.
“Up The Comics !”

Jack Gaskell wrote:
I see that we have just signed the lad, Keanan Brand from Warrington (on loan). Must confess that i had never heard of him. Not exactly the type of earth shattering announcement i was hoping for.
In contrast, I see that Geronimo has this week signed for Swinton, Now that's what i call a big name signing.

So you would rather knock a player who you admit to knowing nothing about, and question our coach who rates him and had wanted him even prior to the SL announcement, and still did after.
Each to their own.
For me, welcome Keanan, I look forward to seeing you in a Leigh shirt. :D
RankPostsTeam
Fringe Player221
JoinedServiceReputation
Nov 14 20203 years246th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
27th Mar 24 20:3216th Mar 24 22:46LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
Graduate of Firs Maternity Home

Hi Vancouver. I fear that something has been lost in transatlantic translation. You have clearly misunderstood what was, i thought, a quite clearly lighthearted comment to enable me to include what must be the greatest name currently doing the rounds in rugby league namely, Geronimo Doyle, who has this week signed for Swinton.
Let me clarify, that I too wish our new signing Keanan Brand all the very best success. After all, whilst he is with us he is our player and i am certainly not going to knock him.
However, I really shouldn't have to justify my comments on this forum to you or anyone else here but, for what it is worth, i stand by them.
Brand was very much a fringe player at Warrington. He was signed by them very much on the strength of his potential which our coach has clearly, by his own comments upon the signing, also appreciates. What is clear is that he has yet to really establish himself as a first team regular. His outings at Warrington have been limited which is why they were happy to see him go out on loan for the season.
In reality he is unlikely to be a starter for us. I am assuming that Thornley and Sa'u will be the first choice centres.
There is no criticism at all in my comments either written or implied of our beloved coach and chief Hobbit in whose judgment i am happy to trust.
The second thrust of my very short original comments go to the heart of the club's ambition. Once we got our place in Super league i was hoping that we had a few big name signings to announce - indeed they may still be coming - but this is not one of them. Brand appears to be a squad filler signing only.
I really hope that our current squad is good enough to survive next season and it might just be but, it is likely to be a struggle and I think i am being realistic in saying this. The chances of our survival next season will certainly be helped if the signings still to be announced are players better than those that we already have. Brand does not fall in to that category and that is all i was saying.
Having read with interest your comments over the years i am somewhat surprised by just how quick you have been to be critical of a new contributor to this forum and to be a bit prickly about what were clearly intended to be humorous comments. I hope that this helps to clarify things.
I look forward to our future exchanges but please do not think that just because i am new to this forum that i am any less a diehard Leigh supporter than your goodself.
All the best.
RankPostsTeam
Club Captain3326
JoinedServiceReputation
Jul 25 20159 years119th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
26th Mar 24 20:5826th Mar 24 00:26LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

WHOOAPHH! That's tha teauwd, Vanners! :)

Welcome to Keanan, Jack & Septimius, everyone has to make a debut sometime. The more the merrier. If only more of the old crowd would check back in. Tinsel not tumbleweed!

Ladies & Gents, please also give a great big, Leyth shout out for a keh's-yedder who joined in April 2017 and has just made his/her first post - typing with a dentally held straw? Only joshing, hare and the tortoise and all that, welcome to you too, sirrah/Sarah.

Jack, yup Geronimo is a notable signing for Swinton but you may have missed that they've also made Tommy Hawke a blood-brother :D

ALL SEASONAL BEST TO ALL LEYTHERS & ALL OTHER RL FANS

ROLL ON '21 :THUMB:
RankPostsTeam
Club Captain3326
JoinedServiceReputation
Jul 25 20159 years119th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
26th Mar 24 20:5826th Mar 24 00:26LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Errrm.... :thumb:

Better!
RankPostsTeam
Fringe Player221
JoinedServiceReputation
Nov 14 20203 years246th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature

Cheers B&B. I'll drink to those kind words.
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach3939
JoinedServiceReputation
Sep 04 200519 years195th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
First game was in 1967, and have been hooked since day 1. Now live in Vancouver, Canada but follow our team any way I can.
“Up The Comics !”

Hello Jack,
I will not quote your reply to save space but I have read it of course.
I have also reread your original post and still do not see a lighthearted bent to the first half that refers to “the lad”Keanan directly. Geronimo Doyle is indeed though a magnificent name.
I personally see Keanan as a strong squad addition who will get game time for sure as the SL season will give opportunities. I believe when that happens we may see a strong addition. A quick watch of his Widnes highlights show a big, strong running centre who goes through a gap with speed and has the hands to give out quality ball to his winger. As for “bigger name” signing announcements, I will give the club time to work on those as I am sure there is a lot of work being done on that front.
You also imply that my response was partly due to you being a new poster. I can assure you that that had zero impact on my post. I welcome new posters and trust that you are a true “diehard supporter” as you say. Patience and true support will be needed at times this season. You will see me always looking for the positive in our team performances and our players. Any criticism will always be constructive or not posted at all.
I look forward to reading your future posts and hope we have lots of positive things to talk about in the coming months.
Cheers and Up The Comics.
RankPostsTeam
Fringe Player221
JoinedServiceReputation
Nov 14 20203 years246th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature

Hi Vancouver. Cheers to you and i will have another drink, this time to your kind words.
'the lad' is a humble turn of phrase which gives away my vintage. Every bloke younger than me is 'a lad', and these days that is most people. It is not a term that is critical. It is just a turn of phrase for someone who is younger than me. That is all.
For my part i look forward to contributing to this forum, now and in the future. I will however tell it as i see it, even if that means the occasional criticism of a Leigh player or official. It does not mean that the club is not dear to my heart or that i am in someways 'disloyal' if i chose to express honest but genuinely held views. This forum is surely about expressing views, at least it has been in the past, and for my part i see no point in just writing supportive comments when something perhaps more critical needs, in my view, to be said.
Lastly, most of my comments, unlike this one, will be lighthearted. These forums should also be fun after all. So, that may result in a little teasing of otherwise favourite players and staff. Supporting Leigh can pretty tragic at times. There have been some seriously low times but it is all made a little easier with a little gallows humour.
For the moment the club is in a great place and optimism abounds. Next season we will stay up. I can feel it in my bones.
And, as i am prone to do, i will certainly drink to that.
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach3939
JoinedServiceReputation
Sep 04 200519 years195th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
“Up The Comics !”

Jack Gaskell wrote:
Hi Vancouver. Cheers to you and i will have another drink, this time to your kind words.........

For the moment the club is in a great place and optimism abounds. Next season we will stay up. I can feel it in my bones.
And, as i am prone to do, i will certainly drink to that.

Well it’s beer o’clock here in Vancouver, so I will join you and look forward to a season of the underdog Leythers making em’ have it :CHEERS:
PreviousNext