FORUMS FORUMS

RLFANS.COM
Celebrating
25 years service to
the Rugby League
Community!

WWW.RLFANS.COM • View topic - Toby King CONFIRMED TO HUDDERSFIELD ON LOAN, WARDLE IN RETUR
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach3114
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 27 200816 years21st
OnlineLast PostLast Page
19th Apr 24 13:4619th Apr 24 09:28LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

I’m not sure Dufty will be signing after all. It seems to have gone quiet on that front. If he does, I’ll bet it will be at half back with Thewlis at full back, as I’m sure Powell recognises that Thewlis is part of the long-term 1-6-7 spine along with Williams.

If we don’t sign Dufty or another half, I can see Mata’utia in there. Not that I like it, but I think Powell is happy with it. Guess we’ll see.
Last edited by easyWire on Sun Jun 26, 2022 9:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
RankPostsTeam
Club Captain791
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 24 20195 years153rd
OnlineLast PostLast Page
16th Apr 24 10:4720th Mar 24 10:37LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

lefty goldblatt wrote:
What frightens me is, is Powell trying to do too much, too soon? These are seismic changes to a squad

With just one team being relegated, and Toulouse being in the league, I think it is the right approach.

Turns a 3/4 year rebuild into a painful one-year revolution.
RankPostsTeam
International Board Member26280No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 24 201311 years23rd
OnlineLast PostLast Page
19th Apr 24 06:4219th Apr 24 17:00LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

easyWire wrote:
I’m not sure Dufty will be signing after all. It seems to have gone quiet on that front. If he does, I’ll bet it will be at half back with Thewlis at full back, as I’m sure Powell recognises that Thewlis is part of the king-term 1-6-7 spine along with Williams.

If we don’t sign Dufty or another half, I can see Mata’utia in there. Not that I like it, but I think Powell is happy with it. Guess we’ll see.

With Matautia in the halves, I don`t see where Ratchford fits, other than as substitute and that surely means Walker misses out?

Heard that we have given Ratchford a new contract, so he must figure in Powell`s plans.
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach3114
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 27 200816 years21st
OnlineLast PostLast Page
19th Apr 24 13:4619th Apr 24 09:28LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Boss Hog wrote:
With Matautia in the halves, I don`t see where Ratchford fits, other than as substitute and that surely means Walker misses out?

Heard that we have given Ratchford a new contract, so he must figure in Powell`s plans.

You could be right, as I think Ratchford has the positive mindset that Powell talks about. I’m not sure what role he’ll play. I like Walker too much to leave him out, and he seems like just the sort of character that Powell wants. He’ll make a very vocal on-field captain/leader if and when he becomes the starting 9. No doubt Powell is working with him on his weaknesses now.
RankPostsTeam
First Team Player1012No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 18 20203 years95th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
19th Apr 24 12:4518th Apr 24 15:47LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

I think Ratchford is like Shenton was at Cas. Solid professional.
RankPostsTeam
International Board Member26280No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 24 201311 years23rd
OnlineLast PostLast Page
19th Apr 24 06:4219th Apr 24 17:00LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

easyWire wrote:
You could be right, as I think Ratchford has the positive mindset that Powell talks about. I’m not sure what role he’ll play. I like Walker too much to leave him out, and he seems like just the sort of character that Powell wants. He’ll make a very vocal on-field captain/leader if and when he becomes the starting 9. No doubt Powell is working with him on his weaknesses now.

Now that we have signed Jake Wardle, for 2022, I too would prefer Matautia in the halves, since it allows both Wrench and Thewlis to play regular 1st team football, which they need.
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach10143
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 09 201014 years17th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
19th Apr 24 08:2318th Apr 24 16:59LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

easyWire wrote:
I’m not sure Dufty will be signing after all. It seems to have gone quiet on that front. If he does, I’ll bet it will be at half back with Thewlis at full back, as I’m sure Powell recognises that Thewlis is part of the long-term 1-6-7 spine along with Williams.

Well on a thread somewhere it was said if Duffy does not come that we will bring Gale in, and that there had been talks, if I remember that correctly.
RankPostsTeam
Club Coach16252
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 12 200420 years60th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
14th Apr 24 17:4527th Feb 24 19:53LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
Challenge Cup winners 2009 2010 2012 2019
League Leaders 2011 2016

lefty goldblatt wrote:
King gone (maybe permanently).... Shrugs shoulders, like Alan Partridge. He's been no better than 6/10, since his new contract. Maybe a Martin Gleesonlike moment. Powell would've authorised King's extension, so he's lost a "bit of face".

What frightens me is, is Powell trying to do too much, too soon? These are seismic changes to a squad. Hill gone, now Charnley and King, with Cooper soon to follow, along with loans of youth players here, there and everywhere. Reluctance to drop Williams (who's been bang average at best), Matautia (who's another 6/10 for me) and the turgid Holmes. Add to this, the square pegs in round holes, people are suggesting, Powell's testicles really are on the bacon slicer.

Rome wasn't built in a day. Strap yourselves in. This could be genius, or an unmitigated disaster

This worries me too. We needed a clear out if we were going to shake the club out of the comfort zone it had been in, living permanently just outside the teams who were really competing for Grand Finals. But we can't underestimate the scale of the challenge especially in an era where the elite Aussie players don't come so we can't just load up from the NRL like we did with Morley, King, Hodgson and the Monaghans.

I remember when Lineham left I said something on here like Lineham's one of those players who you feel like needs to be moved on but is not easy to replace and you could easily end up with an inferior player. That applies to a lot of our guys: certainly Hill, Cooper and Charnley.

I haven't seen Powell bring in a player yet where I've thought this guy has improved us. He's been bringing in squad fillers which is what TS was doing after around 2014.

One thing we did well during the Gatcliffe era, despite not having a great youth system ourselves, was targeted and brought in good upcoming talent that had emerged from other club's youth systems and signed them while young. I remember Cullen saying this was a deliberate strategy. As well as the more obvious signings who had already looked like stars at their clubs (Westwood, Atkins, Myler, Ratchford) we also made some under the radar pick ups in Bridge, Harrison, Grix and Hill. Although those guys hadn't come through our Academy it meant we were a bit like Leeds/Wigan/Saints in terms of having a core of good players who had been together since a young age in our squad and that gave us a good core. I'd like to see us rebuild with that kind of signing.

Anyway, we know the risks. We've gone all in now so we have to back Powell and accept that things might get worse before they get better. The worst outcome from this is, results are bad as Powell's new squad takes time to bed in, we jettison Powell and end up with an inferior coach who tries to do his own rebuild on a rebuild and that goes even worse and suddenly we've gone from being a decent team to perma-strugglers in the space of a couple of years and pining for the relative stability of the Price era.
RankPostsTeam
Club Captain2119No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 30 20159 years80th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
18th Apr 24 21:4618th Apr 24 13:28LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

karetaker wrote:
Well on a thread somewhere it was said if Duffy does not come that we will bring Gale in, and that there had been talks, if I remember that correctly.

To be honest i'm not a big fan of Gale anymore as he is past his best, but if we signed him on a 1 year it would allow Williams the freedom i think he needs. Gale would be the organiser and Kicker and would leave Williams free to roam and pick his moments to scoot through the line etc.
There are alot of Aussie journalists and pundits saying we have signed Dufty so i think we have. And i think he will come over to play in the halves but we will see :-)
RankPostsTeam
International Star7978No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 05 201014 years46th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
15th Apr 24 17:1814th Apr 24 17:48LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
Neither glass half full or empty. Just a realist.

sally cinnamon wrote:
This worries me too. We needed a clear out if we were going to shake the club out of the comfort zone it had been in, living permanently just outside the teams who were really competing for Grand Finals. But we can't underestimate the scale of the challenge especially in an era where the elite Aussie players don't come so we can't just load up from the NRL like we did with Morley, King, Hodgson and the Monaghans.

I remember when Lineham left I said something on here like Lineham's one of those players who you feel like needs to be moved on but is not easy to replace and you could easily end up with an inferior player. That applies to a lot of our guys: certainly Hill, Cooper and Charnley.

I haven't seen Powell bring in a player yet where I've thought this guy has improved us. He's been bringing in squad fillers which is what TS was doing after around 2014.

One thing we did well during the Gatcliffe era, despite not having a great youth system ourselves, was targeted and brought in good upcoming talent that had emerged from other club's youth systems and signed them while young. I remember Cullen saying this was a deliberate strategy. As well as the more obvious signings who had already looked like stars at their clubs (Westwood, Atkins, Myler, Ratchford) we also made some under the radar pick ups in Bridge, Harrison, Grix and Hill. Although those guys hadn't come through our Academy it meant we were a bit like Leeds/Wigan/Saints in terms of having a core of good players who had been together since a young age in our squad and that gave us a good core. I'd like to see us rebuild with that kind of signing.

Anyway, we know the risks. We've gone all in now so we have to back Powell and accept that things might get worse before they get better. The worst outcome from this is, results are bad as Powell's new squad takes time to bed in, we jettison Powell and end up with an inferior coach who tries to do his own rebuild on a rebuild and that goes even worse and suddenly we've gone from being a decent team to perma-strugglers in the space of a couple of years and pining for the relative stability of the Price era.

Quite, sally. Especially the bit I've bolded. This is my major worry.

When Moran really started spending his money (Morley, then King and Monaghan x2) we've gone from perennial underachievers, to CC and GF regulars, with a bit of tweaking. Powell's "my way or the highway", and it's subsequent overhaul, could well be too much too soon. We let Smith go stale, and Price, well he was stale from the begining. All we needed (as I said) was a tweak. A bluff Yarkie has sent us back to the mid days of Cullen. A few stars, but, miles away from where we want/need to be.
PreviousNext