14th Apr 24 17:4527th Feb 24 19:53LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
Challenge Cup winners 2009 2010 2012 2019
League Leaders 2011 2016

Re: RL World Cup : Thu Jul 22, 2021 12:02 pm  
Well if the boycott is down to the NRL there are ways round it. Remember the 1997 GB v Aus series, during the ARL v Super League 'war'. The ARL clubs boycotted it and it wasn't allowed to be called the Ashes, so they just had a 'Super League Test Series' with Aus represented by players from clubs who were in the Aussie Super League like Brisbane, Canberra, Penrith and so on.

A combined nations team beat England the other week, surely they can raise a team of Aussies who are already over here. I would put a few quid on Jake Mamo being the world cup top try scorer.
RankPostsTeam
Club Captain426No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Aug 09 20186 years197th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
1st May 24 21:0826th Apr 24 08:26LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: RL World Cup : Thu Jul 22, 2021 12:24 pm  
I was listening to Steve Mascord last week and he talked about the pressure that the NRL clubs were putting on their top brass to pull out of the World Cup. There was a reluctance to do that because they had given their commitment to the competition but still had problems agreeing to the arrangements and financing of the players isolation on their return down under. The fact that they held off signing the participation agreement spoke volumes.
As others have said, it looks like they were waiting for the infection rates here to rise to give some kind of credence for their announcement.
Does it prove the British belief that the Australians have no interest in the international game and only participate under sufferance or are they right to 'protect' their people? Mixture of both imo.
Jon Dutton and his team have a huge decision to make as I'm sure that ticket refunds are unthinkable.
(and I've bought tickets for four matches!).
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach2359No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 23 200915 years28th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
29th Apr 24 20:3419th Apr 24 16:41LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
'I've done things i'm not proud of. And the things i am proud of,.......well they're disgusting'

Re: RL World Cup : Thu Jul 22, 2021 12:38 pm  
The aussies only care about SOO and the nrl. That's the truth and anyone who thinks this is based on covid cases is deluding themselves.
RankPostsTeam
Moderator4634No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 19 201212 years139th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
27th Apr 24 16:2322nd Apr 24 07:07LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: RL World Cup : Thu Jul 22, 2021 3:47 pm  
Surely there is a simple solution here;

Saints Academy could stand in for the Aussies and their Scholarship could replace NZ. ?
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach3118
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 27 200816 years21st
OnlineLast PostLast Page
30th Apr 24 13:3027th Apr 24 15:38LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: RL World Cup : Thu Jul 22, 2021 4:07 pm  
Smiffy27 wrote:
One person's "alarming" is another fellow's "hunky dory". We have all had different experiences and take on board information thrown at us in different ways.
But whatever ... other countries seem to be very wary of us.

I’m not judging you for being anxious about something, but I do have to ask you - what would your solution be?

All the vulnerable are vaccinated, in fact 88% of adults have one dose and 70% have had two. That includes those not really at serious risk from COVID.

It’s clear that even with vaccinations this disease will spread like wildfire and the consequence will be some hospitalisations and some deaths. Just like every disease or health issue. You simply can’t stop COVID you can merely make it less able to kill.

So, with all the vulnerable vaccinated what is your solution to stop cases spreading? Lock down until millions go into poverty and die of starvation? Would you like to surrender your entire pension to give hope to young kids and prevent them from a shorter miserable life in poverty? Not many would. That’s why we have no choice but to open up. We need to accept its here and deal with reality. Wear a mask and avoid crowds if you feel under threat and no one will criticise you for it.
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach3118
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 27 200816 years21st
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: RL World Cup : Thu Jul 22, 2021 4:09 pm  
How come the Aussies are managing to attend the Olympics, the cricket and sending their RU team over here?

I thought it was ‘simply too dangerous’?
RankPostsTeam
International Board Member29316
JoinedServiceReputation
Nov 08 200419 years15th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
1st May 24 21:201st May 24 20:45LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: RL World Cup : Thu Jul 22, 2021 4:20 pm  
easyWire wrote:
I’m not judging you for being anxious about something, but I do have to ask you - what would your solution be?

All the vulnerable are vaccinated, in fact 88% of adults have one dose and 70% have had two. That includes those not really at serious risk from COVID.

It’s clear that even with vaccinations this disease will spread like wildfire and the consequence will be some hospitalisations and some deaths. Just like every disease or health issue. You simply can’t stop COVID you can merely make it less able to kill.

So, with all the vulnerable vaccinated what is your solution to stop cases spreading? Lock down until millions go into poverty and die of starvation? Would you like to surrender your entire pension to give hope to young kids and prevent them from a shorter miserable life in poverty? Not many would. That’s why we have no choice but to open up. We need to accept its here and deal with reality. Wear a mask and avoid crowds if you feel under threat and no one will criticise you for it.

I wonder what the Aussie/Kiwi plan is in the very long term. I’m talking 5+ years here. It’s not going anywhere, so is that it in terms of their citizens coming and going? The vaccination programme is a mess and will take many many months to have an effect when it is sorted. Is quarantine when going in to Oz a permanent fixture? Will they carry on locking Cities down when they get a couple of cases even after they’ve vaccinated everyone? Just how safe is safe when it comes to them deciding to travel here for a World Cup? If next year they do come and there is a cluster of cases in the North West of England is that it and they head straight home?

I shouldn’t really talk about Covid because as I’ve said I think it’s an excuse for the NRL to hide behind but they wanted to Cancel the Ashes with a view to them being played in 2022, they now want the World Cup to be pushed to 2022 instead but do we need to give them guarantees that Covid will have run off by then? I get the feeling we’ll be sat here in ten years time, with the Aussies going ‘but you’ve had a case in Torquay, so we don’t think it’s safe to travel to Manchester’.
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach3118
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 27 200816 years21st
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: RL World Cup : Thu Jul 22, 2021 4:36 pm  
NickyKiss wrote:
I wonder what the Aussie/Kiwi plan is in the very long term. I’m talking 5+ years here. It’s not going anywhere, so is that it in terms of their citizens coming and going? The vaccination programme is a mess and will take many many months to have an effect when it is sorted. Is quarantine when going in to Oz a permanent fixture? Will they carry on locking Cities down when they get a couple of cases even after they’ve vaccinated everyone? Just how safe is safe when it comes to them deciding to travel here for a World Cup? If next year they do come and there is a cluster of cases in the North West of England is that it and they head straight home?

I shouldn’t really talk about Covid because as I’ve said I think it’s an excuse for the NRL to hide behind but they wanted to Cancel the Ashes with a view to them being played in 2022, they now want the World Cup to be pushed to 2022 instead but do we need to give them guarantees that Covid will have run off by then? I get the feeling we’ll be sat here in ten years time, with the Aussies going ‘but you’ve had a case in Torquay, so we don’t think it’s safe to travel to Manchester’.

Indeed, the clubs are using the nation’s paranoia as their excuse to not have players back for a full pre-season.

Regarding COVID, I too wonder what the governments will do long-term. They’ve convinced the population it will go away if they just wait. It won’t, and now once they’re vaccinated the public won’t accept ANY deaths associated with it and there will be pressure to shut borders and go back into lockdown.
RankPostsTeam
Club Captain791
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 24 20195 years154th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
24th Apr 24 15:4320th Mar 24 10:37LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: RL World Cup : Thu Jul 22, 2021 4:48 pm  
Bored, so worked out an Aus SL team. Would probably beat England to be fair . . .

Hastings
French
Mamo
Leutele
Sio
Sezer
Maloney
Prior
Parcell
Fifita
Thompson
S Mata'utia
Austin

*Not sure if any of these would be ineligible as a few have played for other countries.
RankPostsTeam
International Star2708
JoinedServiceReputation
Jul 22 201014 years47th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
1st May 24 20:391st May 24 16:51LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: RL World Cup : Thu Jul 22, 2021 5:12 pm  
easyWire wrote:

Good question? Cannot really answer. What I think does not really matter. But obviously the Aussies and most other countries think we are trying to move too fast. I would prefer us to try to slow the rate of infection down. As Science has given us a vaccine quicker than we thought I am very hopeful that it will create a way of treating us when the illness hits. The word poverty (pretty meaningless really) is over used and I think we have years before anyone dies of starvation. Personally I am getting out and about but wary. I have family who have medical problems ... so that makes a difference. I don't think we should criticise other people from other countries who do not wish to act as we do.
PreviousNext