FORUMS FORUMS

RLFANS.COM
Celebrating
25 years service to
the Rugby League
Community!

Current LIVE TV Match : St.Helens 2 - 0 Wigan Warriors LIVE ON SKY SPORTS Dupree Sin Bin
WWW.RLFANS.COM • View topic - How do you solve a problem like Blake Austin?
RankPostsTeam
Club Coach16922
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 15 200816 years72nd
OnlineLast PostLast Page
29th Mar 24 09:5529th Mar 24 09:55LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
Packs Win Games
Great Packs Make All Backs Look Class
#onceawirealwaysawire

sally cinnamon wrote:
If you could have Patton back as well as Williams, who would make way for Patton.

No one. I’ve never said I’m a Patton fan. I’m 100% Wire.
I’ve pointed out facts, Patton is/was the only recognised successful halfback since Lee Briers....
There was many a game I’d have prefer to had seen Patton instead of Austin, not in hindsight, as I bigged up Austin as much as anyone. I’m an advocate that a big good un, always beats a small good un.
Patton may not have been the most liked, and came in for much criticism. Can’t recall if it was his double pump pass secured us to Wembley or a try he scored, been a while...for sure, he was the best kicker at Wire, if he was still at Wire, he’d still be the best kicker!
Would I have him back..nooo. Ship sailed and we’ve Williams. Would I swap Austin for Patton if we had to have that 4th halfback...you wouldn’t need ask me twice. You bet I would.
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach3281No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 14 200618 years187th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
29th Mar 24 11:5429th Mar 24 11:46LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
Warrington Wolves and Woolston Rovers - The PERFECT combination

//www.warringtonwolves.com
//www.woolstonroversrlfc.co.uk
//www.liverpoolfc.tv

sally cinnamon wrote:
I think Austin is a good but limited player. He does a few things well but other teams have worked him out and after a great start in the first half of his first season, opponents have been able to keep him in check.

He hasn't sulked or moaned or wanted to go home, his attitude has been good, he's embraced playing for Wire, so fair play to him.

I see Austin as another example of us being done a bit by overhype from NRL agents, similar to Tyrone Roberts. In both cases we were led to believe we were getting a blue chip player who would separate us from our rivals, maybe we ended up paying a contract to reflect that too. When Austin arrived there was all that hype about him being Man of Steel before he'd even started playing.

This has probably contributed to why Austin gets a lot of stick on here. He was overhyped as a signing (not his fault). Whereas someone like Nat Wood, who had been a bench player/understudy to guys like Lam and Stacey Jones in the NRL, came over as a relative unknown, and wasn't saddled by expectations.

that is the biggest insult that has been given to Blake Austin Sally, mentioning him alongside Tyrone Roberts!!!!
RankPostsTeam
International Star2653
JoinedServiceReputation
Jul 22 201014 years52nd
OnlineLast PostLast Page
29th Mar 24 10:3629th Mar 24 09:07LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

I am repeating myself here but I've got to as a few seem to have short memories.
Austin when he arrived looked like a wonderful signing. He was ahead of the Man of Steel and he was scoring tries for fun ... but he got a nasty leg injury vs. Catalan and he has probably lost just that bit of pace which was getting him through those gaps. Personally he is going to have to come to terms with playing for much less money wherever he plays but that happens to most players.
See
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WY_2rZOnALU
I am repeating myself here but I've got to as a few seem to have short memories.
Austin when he arrived looked like a wonderful signing. He was ahead of the Man of Steel and he was scoring tries for fun ... but he got a nasty leg injury vs. Catalan and he has probably lost just that bit of pace which was getting him through those gaps. Personally he is going to have to come to terms with playing for much less money wherever he plays but that happens to most players.
See
RankPostsTeam
Club Coach16922
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 15 200816 years72nd
OnlineLast PostLast Page
29th Mar 24 09:5529th Mar 24 09:55LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
Packs Win Games
Great Packs Make All Backs Look Class
#onceawirealwaysawire

Smiffy27 wrote:
See

Not at all. We all completely remember how unplayable he was. He was sure to win the MOS. Spring 2019 passed over 2 years ago, we’re just waiting for Austin to reprise that period. He missed the boat to gain an extension gig as a marquee. Only himself to blame. He has 3 months to impressive to try and win an extension at a heavily reduced, contract here, or go elsewhere.
I’d love to see that initial form rewarded here, but I’m just as content to see he go.

We was warned by Canberra fans, he would start well, frustrate, lose his spot eventually and end up on the bench.
Smiffy27 wrote:
See

Not at all. We all completely remember how unplayable he was. He was sure to win the MOS. Spring 2019 passed over 2 years ago, we’re just waiting for Austin to reprise that period. He missed the boat to gain an extension gig as a marquee. Only himself to blame. He has 3 months to impressive to try and win an extension at a heavily reduced, contract here, or go elsewhere.
I’d love to see that initial form rewarded here, but I’m just as content to see he go.

We was warned by Canberra fans, he would start well, frustrate, lose his spot eventually and end up on the bench.
RankPostsTeam
Club Captain791
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 24 20195 years147th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
28th Mar 24 11:4420th Mar 24 10:37LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

He was never able to reprise that period as teams learned to not buy the dummy.

He's still a good player though, just not worth marquee money.
RankPostsTeam
International Star2653
JoinedServiceReputation
Jul 22 201014 years52nd
OnlineLast PostLast Page
29th Mar 24 10:3629th Mar 24 09:07LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

I'm afraid, some, do lose that edge of pace at the age of 30. When it happens your whole game is just not the same. I think he's trying.
RankPostsTeam
Moderator39305
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 01 200222 years12th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
29th Mar 24 00:1628th Mar 24 16:22LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Jack Napier wrote:
He was never able to reprise that period as teams learned to not buy the dummy.

He's still a good player though, just not worth marquee money.

This is where my comments about his hands come from, the step would have had a bit more longevity if he was able to put doubt in the defence by giving a better (non drop off) pass to bmm, or out to charnley.

You had Briers going down that channel, is he gonna pass to 2nd row, centre or winger, go himself or kick it?

Austin? Step or 50% success rate drop off to bmm or hughes(which does nothing)
RankPostsTeam
Club Captain791
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 24 20195 years147th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
28th Mar 24 11:4420th Mar 24 10:37LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Fantastic Mr Catpiss wrote:
This is where my comments about his hands come from, the step would have had a bit more longevity if he was able to put doubt in the defence by giving a better (non drop off) pass to bmm, or out to charnley.

You had Briers going down that channel, is he gonna pass to 2nd row, centre or winger, go himself or kick it?

Austin? Step or 50% success rate drop off to bmm or hughes(which does nothing)

Totally agree, that's why Widdop has been so effective this year. Defenders can't commit to defending one specific aspect of his game as he has all the tools. And he has the speed of thought to see where the biggest weakness in the line is.

It's not that Austin is a terrible passer or kicker but he's overwhelmingly less likely to hurt you with those than he is with his step.

I don't think Charnley will miss Austin's passing game, put it that way.
RankPostsTeam
Moderator39305
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 01 200222 years12th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
29th Mar 24 00:1628th Mar 24 16:22LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Jack Napier wrote:
Totally agree, that's why Widdop has been so effective this year. Defenders can't commit to defending one specific aspect of his game as he has all the tools. And he has the speed of thought to see where the biggest weakness in the line is.

It's not that Austin is a terrible passer or kicker but he's overwhelmingly less likely to hurt you with those than he is with his step.

I don't think Charnley will miss Austin's passing game, put it that way.

I chose to not stress that point, but everyone on here and elsewhere knows how much flak charnley has copped for ages about not scoring, "we should get rid of him"

It is dreadfully apparent its not his fault.
RankPostsTeam
International Star853
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 22 201212 years205th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
16th Jan 24 17:2416th Jan 24 17:24LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Veering slightly off topic. Charnley looked in real trouble in the last game holding his wrist. Any injury news on this ?
PreviousNext