JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 23 200915 years31st
OnlineLast PostLast Page
11th May 24 19:489th May 24 22:13LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
'I've done things i'm not proud of. And the things i am proud of,.......well they're disgusting'

Re: Tonight’s game v Leigh : Thu Jun 24, 2021 10:40 pm  
rubber duckie wrote:
I was at the game. Initially it looked worrying for Widdop, but as he closed in on the touch line, he’d walked much of the limp off. I don’t think it’ll be too bad.

He's on crutches
RankPostsTeam
Club Coach17008
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 15 200816 years71st
OnlineLast PostLast Page
11th May 24 19:2211th May 24 19:03LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
Packs Win Games
Great Packs Make All Backs Look Class
#onceawirealwaysawire

Re: Tonight’s game v Leigh : Fri Jun 25, 2021 2:59 am  
Moe syslak wrote:
He's on crutches

That means he’s using is foot just taking some weight of it. If he was in a chair, that would be worrying.
RankPostsTeam
International Star3853
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 18 201013 years41st
OnlineLast PostLast Page
1st Oct 23 20:4530th Sep 23 21:37LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
And so you aim towards the sky,
And you'll rise high today,
Fly away, Far away,
Far from pain....

Re: Tonight’s game v Leigh : Fri Jun 25, 2021 6:14 am  
rubber duckie wrote:
That means he’s using is foot just taking some weight of it. If he was in a chair, that would be worrying.

This is one of those moments where I'm left wondering is Duckie pulling our collective chains on here??... :lol:
RankPostsTeam
International Board Member29202No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jul 10 200321 years96th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
8th May 24 15:2226th Apr 24 14:06LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Tonight’s game v Leigh : Fri Jun 25, 2021 10:19 am  
Captain Hook wrote:
Walker my MoM. The youngsters did well. Still not a Sita fan, wouldn’t be surprised if disciplinary don’t look at his shoulder to head on McCarthy.

Good to see a Warrington fan seeing the issue with that, most on Twitter just going with 'nowt wrong with it'. It's something that in the rules players can do, so I'm not sure what the disciplinary can do. Actually I'm sure they will do absolutely nothing as he's done it several times in the past and nothing happened then either. If you look at the NRLs crackdown on head contacts and compare to Super League, we simply cannot be claiming any sort of commitment to player welfare if that kind of contact is legal, it could quite easily be fatal. Whilst we don't want to lose the physical nature of the sport, we don't want to see that kind of impact either. He's almost stationary and Akuola 100% targets his head and the force is all applied directly to the head. I fully acknowledge that McCarthy's technique could be better and he should be approaching the tackle differently, but there is also an onus on the ball carrier to go into contact safely. Imagine if juniors started doing that, aiming to put the shoulder into the tackler's face, it'd be carnage, especially given the size mismatches you get in kids RL. I've got a lad spamming me with DMs on Twitter saying he's the hardest forward ever and I need to shut up because he can knock players out. But you never saw Adrian Morley shouldering people in the head whilst carrying the ball, nor Webcke, nor Ward.

If Akuola made that impact as a defender he'd get the biggest ban you can get in RL and you'd probably never see him play the sport again. We can't have that discrepancy. The rule already exists that you can't raise the elbow into the face of a tackler, I'd just extend it to say you can't promote the shoulder into the head either. Simple rule change, very easy to rule on. There would only have been a few times to penalise it in recent seasons and they would all have involved the same player.
RankPostsTeam
Moderator39389
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 01 200222 years13th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
11th May 24 22:3511th May 24 18:15LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Tonight’s game v Leigh : Fri Jun 25, 2021 10:32 am  
Saddened! wrote:
Good to see a Warrington fan seeing the issue with that, most on Twitter just going with 'nowt wrong with it'. It's something that in the rules players can do, so I'm not sure what the disciplinary can do. Actually I'm sure they will do absolutely nothing as he's done it several times in the past and nothing happened then either. If you look at the NRLs crackdown on head contacts and compare to Super League, we simply cannot be claiming any sort of commitment to player welfare if that kind of contact is legal, it could quite easily be fatal. Whilst we don't want to lose the physical nature of the sport, we don't want to see that kind of impact either. He's almost stationary and Akuola 100% targets his head and the force is all applied directly to the head. I fully acknowledge that McCarthy's technique could be better and he should be approaching the tackle differently, but there is also an onus on the ball carrier to go into contact safely. Imagine if juniors started doing that, aiming to put the shoulder into the tackler's face, it'd be carnage, especially given the size mismatches you get in kids RL. I've got a lad spamming me with DMs on Twitter saying he's the hardest forward ever and I need to shut up because he can knock players out. But you never saw Adrian Morley shouldering people in the head whilst carrying the ball, nor Webcke, nor Ward.

If Akuola made that impact as a defender he'd get the biggest ban you can get in RL and you'd probably never see him play the sport again. We can't have that discrepancy. The rule already exists that you can't raise the elbow into the face of a tackler, I'd just extend it to say you can't promote the shoulder into the head either. Simple rule change, very easy to rule on. There would only have been a few times to penalise it in recent seasons and they would all have involved the same player.

This post contains an image, if you are the copyright owner and would like this image removed then please contact support@rlfans.com
RankPostsTeam
International Board Member29202No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jul 10 200321 years96th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
8th May 24 15:2226th Apr 24 14:06LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Tonight’s game v Leigh : Fri Jun 25, 2021 10:40 am  
Fantastic Mr Catpiss wrote:

It's really not. I doubt you've even read it. I understand the urge to defend your club, but we can't be having impacts to the head like that in our sport at a time when it's likely to be hit by historic claims for head injuries and dementia.
This post contains an image, if you are the copyright owner and would like this image removed then please contact support@rlfans.com
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach1748No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Aug 06 200816 years173rd
OnlineLast PostLast Page
7th May 24 08:416th May 24 13:22LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
TheWarringtonWolve69 wrote:
Saints by 32

Regards

(Formerly) King James

Re: Tonight’s game v Leigh : Fri Jun 25, 2021 10:44 am  
Saddened! wrote:

No Morley just used to stamp forward with his knee into tackles instead. McCarthy probably should have gone for the legs instead.
RankPostsTeam
Moderator39389
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 01 200222 years13th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Tonight’s game v Leigh : Fri Jun 25, 2021 10:59 am  
Saddened! wrote:
It's really not. I doubt you've even read it. I understand the urge to defend your club, but we can't be having impacts to the head like that in our sport at a time when it's likely to be hit by historic claims for head injuries and dementia.

no, i read it, i was amused at you comparing 6ft 17st trundling tank of shane webke with the 6ft 5 16 stone springting monster (for 7 minutes) of akauala.

Yall had no problems earlier this year when Paasi was doing it.

He's doing nothing wrong, he's not raising an elbow, he's not leaning his shoulder into peoples faces, he's not dipping down at people going for his waist, he's running the ball in and he's not raising his knee, whilst he as the ball carrier, has to contend with, 2/3 or people rushing up to smash him, he could potentially be getting a forearm to the face, another type of high tackle, a shoulder charge,and then wrestled to the floor/his knees taken out and then pressure being put on his neck.

He's just really big, and really fast and awkward to tackle, he's doing nothing illegal i've seen people get bounced off walmsley's shoulder cos he's bigger than the tacklers, i've seen it happen to darren britt.

I've no doubt you didn't have any issue with vila matuatia skittling people when he took the ball in, maurie fa'savalu.

Are you asking the rfl to insist players are no taller than 6ft so there's not a size discrepency when tackling? and can't run the ball in a x mph?
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach5395
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 15 200618 years111th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
10th May 24 15:1010th May 24 13:59LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Tonight’s game v Leigh : Fri Jun 25, 2021 11:06 am  
The tv commentator said that shoulder contact is allowed from an attacking player so ,unless the RFL bend the rules to punish Sita ,there should be no case to answer. It is the rules that need to be changed & perhaps less emphasis for tacklers to confront players around the upper part of the body. Maybe a tackle lower down would have brought Sita crashing to the ground.
RankPostsTeam
Moderator39389
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 01 200222 years13th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Tonight’s game v Leigh : Fri Jun 25, 2021 11:14 am  
ninearches wrote:
The tv commentator said that shoulder contact is allowed from an attacking player so ,unless the RFL bend the rules to punish Sita ,there should be no case to answer. It is the rules that need to be changed & perhaps less emphasis for tacklers to confront players around the upper part of the body. Maybe a tackle lower down would have brought Sita crashing to the ground.

here's the thing, if we take saddened's issues at face value, what are the options here to do anything about this, you either say, you the ball carrier aren't allowed to turn and brace yourself for a tackle (at which point mccarthy still would have been knocked flying last night) or you say, you can't play the game, we're not allowing you to.

You're too tall, you're too fast, you're too physical (for 7 minutes)
PreviousNext