Apr 19 201212 years140th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
22nd Apr 24 14:5622nd Apr 24 07:07LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Steve Price rumors : Thu Mar 04, 2021 8:02 am  
CW8 wrote:
I have been scratching my head wondering why England had been absolutely abysmal this 6 nations.

A cunning plan to undermine the competition ?
CW8 
RankPostsTeam
International Star3935
JoinedServiceReputation
Nov 15 201310 years27th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
21st Apr 24 15:3617th Apr 24 19:47LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Steve Price rumors : Thu Mar 04, 2021 8:11 am  
Winslade's Offload wrote:
A cunning plan to undermine the competition ?

It's working a treat, I actually like union as well especially the internationals but god england been awful to watch for a long time. It's embarrassing for the sport in this country IMO.
RankPostsTeam
Moderator4634No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 19 201212 years140th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Steve Price rumors : Thu Mar 04, 2021 9:16 am  
CW8 wrote:
It's working a treat, I actually like union as well especially the internationals but god england been awful to watch for a long time. It's embarrassing for the sport in this country IMO.

The standard of the tackling seems to be very low in RU, you couldn't get away with that in League. And the constant 'recycling' where the sides make 4-5 yards after 10-12 sets is very reminiscent of rl before the six tackle rule. I suspect they will need to change the rules at some point like we have done, perhaps drop the value of the penalty and drop goal as well to encourage more on-field play. But it can be an exciting sport and I particularly like the way the French play the game.
RankPostsTeam
International Star2698
JoinedServiceReputation
Jul 22 201014 years50th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
22nd Apr 24 20:1717th Apr 24 12:29LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Steve Price rumors : Thu Mar 04, 2021 9:53 am  
Well I suppose all supporters needs would sit on a line with winning at one end and entertaining at the other. Everybody will think differently. Neutrals of course will not, they will wan't to see entertaining rugby, tightly contested, with a result only known on the 90 min hooter. I think I read an article in the Guardian a few weeks ago about Eddie Jones the Eng. RU coach visiting us to see how their game could be made more entertaining by increasing the number of tries. Despite the big crowds their games bring in for internationals, they are still painfully aware that it needs to be a spectacle and entertaining. So I hope / expect that in any job interview the need to develop entertaining rugby appears pretty high up.

I think if Wane does get the job we have a pretty good chance of success, and I suspect most people on here will feel more bullish than that . But of course as well as 'entertaining but lost', 'boring but won' there is also a third option of ' boring and lost'. But as Oz coaches are probably out at the moment (Covid and cost) that doesn't leave us with many viable options. I think Powell would put us consistently in the top 2-3 simply because he ensures the basic commitment and rugby are professionally delivered. I am not convinced he would win us the GF though. Wane could certainly win it, but it needs to be good to watch for my money.

I have never met a coach who doesn't put winning as the priority.
Some like to play attractive rugby as well but it is usually a secondary consideration. Some talk about it just to please speccies and press.
Nearly all supporters just want to win the big games but play lip service to being an attractive side it when the side is a few points up or playing a weak side. Coaches want their side to win. Some sides strength is moving the ball around at pace and some sides strength is grinding it out. Every coach I know plays to his strength. As for discussing "entertaining rugby" at interview ... it might be mentioned in polite conversation.
RankPostsTeam
Moderator4634No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 19 201212 years140th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Steve Price rumors : Thu Mar 04, 2021 10:20 am  
Smiffy27 wrote:
I have never met a coach who doesn't put winning as the priority.
Some like to play attractive rugby as well but it is usually a secondary consideration. Some talk about it just to please speccies and press.
Nearly all supporters just want to win the big games but play lip service to being an attractive side it when the side is a few points up or playing a weak side. Coaches want their side to win. Some sides strength is moving the ball around at pace and some sides strength is grinding it out. Every coach I know plays to his strength. As for discussing "entertaining rugby" at interview ... nah.

I am afraid I don't know any coaches on a personal basis to be able to ask these sorts of questions. Certainly I can't imagine any coach not setting winning as his first priority, that surely must be a given. Rugby League is certainly tribal and there is always a strong desire to beat your neighbour / closest rival at all costs. Even if the ref made a couple of horrendous decisions that gifted you the game, supporters would see it as a well deserved victory. But outside of all the tribalism surely there is an element of enjoyment ? Compare one game which was a mud bath that prevented any decent moves with constant knock-ons to one which was free flowing with fast moves, great handling, chips over the top of defences that lead to tries etc etc. Would you prefer a 2 nil win in the first game to say a 35-10 win in the second ? And the neutrals that watch TV, which props up our sport financially would certainly vote with their feet / bums. It sounds as though you wouldn't agree, but I would suggest that RL is a business and a big part of that is about entertaining as well as winning.
RankPostsTeam
International Star2698
JoinedServiceReputation
Jul 22 201014 years50th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
22nd Apr 24 20:1717th Apr 24 12:29LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Steve Price rumors : Thu Mar 04, 2021 10:40 am  
I am afraid I don't know any coaches on a personal basis to be able to ask these sorts of questions. Certainly I can't imagine any coach not setting winning as his first priority, that surely must be a given. Rugby League is certainly tribal and there is always a strong desire to beat your neighbour / closest rival at all costs. Even if the ref made a couple of horrendous decisions that gifted you the game, supporters would see it as a well deserved victory. But outside of all the tribalism surely there is an element of enjoyment ? Compare one game which was a mud bath that prevented any decent moves with constant knock-ons to one which was free flowing with fast moves, great handling, chips over the top of defences that lead to tries etc etc. Would you prefer a 2 nil win in the first game to say a 35-10 win in the second ? And the neutrals that watch TV, which props up our sport financially would certainly vote with their feet / bums. It sounds as though you wouldn't agree, but I would suggest that RL is a business and a big part of that is about entertaining as well as winning.

I get your point. I suppose the big test is when watching two neutral teams. I sometimes lose interest when the score gets to 35-10 but rarely lose interest when the score is 2-0. I have seen some cracking games with no or just one try. I would say best for TV neutrals is a competitive game rather than simply lots of points by one side.
Bottom line though is that if you Coach a side and they keep losing 33-35 ... you won't stay in a job very long. No one would mention your exciting brand of rugby as a reason to keep your job. If you keep wining 6-0 ... you'd have a job for ever.
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach2359No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 23 200915 years29th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
19th Apr 24 18:5519th Apr 24 16:41LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
'I've done things i'm not proud of. And the things i am proud of,.......well they're disgusting'

Re: Steve Price rumors : Thu Mar 04, 2021 11:05 am  

Last years grand final was regarded as one of the best games for many a year. It was a low scoring game with very few chances to score due to brutal and brilliant defences. It had fans watching on TV going crazy over it on twitter. Other sportsmen like Tony bellew were tweeting how amazing it was and how he wanted to get down to watch a few games when he could. Low scoring games and brilliant defence can be just as entertaining as games that end 40-36!
RankPostsTeam
Moderator4634No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 19 201212 years140th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Steve Price rumors : Thu Mar 04, 2021 11:20 am  
Moe syslak wrote:
Last years grand final was regarded as one of the best games for many a year. It was a low scoring game with very few chances to score due to brutal and brilliant defences. It had fans watching on TV going crazy over it on twitter. Other sportsmen like Tony bellew were tweeting how amazing it was and how he wanted to get down to watch a few games when he could. Low scoring games and brilliant defence can be just as entertaining as games that end 40-36!

Very true. The physicality, energy, excellent defences and uncertainty of the outcome all proved an absorbing game.
RankPostsTeam
Club Coach16252
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 12 200420 years61st
OnlineLast PostLast Page
14th Apr 24 17:4527th Feb 24 19:53LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
Challenge Cup winners 2009 2010 2012 2019
League Leaders 2011 2016

Re: Steve Price rumors : Thu Mar 04, 2021 7:48 pm  
Suppose you could see into the future and were offered the option of appointing Powell, with a guarantee that we will peak like Cas in 2017 - the highest point scorers, and most attractive team in SL, but lose in the Grand Final, or appointing Wane and peaking like Wigan in 2013 and 2016, picking up a couple of Grand Final wins with gritty rugby and lots of wrestling.

Which would you take and which would make you more willing to be a paying spectator?
CW8 
RankPostsTeam
International Star3935
JoinedServiceReputation
Nov 15 201310 years27th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
21st Apr 24 15:3617th Apr 24 19:47LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Steve Price rumors : Thu Mar 04, 2021 8:48 pm  
sally cinnamon wrote:
Suppose you could see into the future and were offered the option of appointing Powell, with a guarantee that we will peak like Cas in 2017 - the highest point scorers, and most attractive team in SL, but lose in the Grand Final, or appointing Wane and peaking like Wigan in 2013 and 2016, picking up a couple of Grand Final wins with gritty rugby and lots of wrestling.

Which would you take and which would make you more willing to be a paying spectator?

You can't guarantee grand final wins with either coach, I would feel more confident with a team that was tough in defence but was very good at scoring points and putting pressure on the opposition. We have watched a team that has looked desperate to hold on rather than absorbing pressure and then taking the challenge to the opposition. We have been poor in attack and the opposition I have always felt grew in confidence the more we struggled to cause them problems.

I would take Powell personally, I think he would view it as his first real big chance since Leeds to have a team that he feels he should win trophies with. I think he will be hungrier to win superleague for the first time than wane who has already managed it. Powell gets his teams to punch above their weight and that's a great prospect with a squad like ours. That said I do like wane, I like his passion for his teams and his honesty, he will demand a lot from the players too.
PreviousNext