FORUMS FORUMS

RLFANS.COM
Celebrating
25 years service to
the Rugby League
Community!

WWW.RLFANS.COM • View topic - whats the food like at france dragons home games
RankPostsTeam
All Time Great47951No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
May 10 200222 yearsN/A
OnlineLast PostLast Page
6th Aug 17 19:0327th Jul 17 17:56LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
"You are working for Satan." Kirkstaller

"Dare to know!" Immanuel Kant

"Do not take life too seriously. You will never get out of it alive" Elbert Hubbard

"We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars." Oscar Wilde

The Voluptuous Manifesto – thoughts on all sorts of stuff.

: Thu Mar 12, 2009 11:40 am  
Wadski wrote:
Forget the food at the ground.

We went back into Perpignan to Bar Le Source and the owner stuck on some very nice, cheap steaks for us all and dished several bowls of chips for us to enjoy.

Nice guy is Eric!

Le Grande Café de la Bourse does the best spaghetti carbonara I've ever tasted anywhere. Can't remember what it cost, but it wasn't expensive.

And I've had seriously good quiche at Le Grande Café de la Post too.
RankPostsTeam
International Board Member14986
JoinedServiceReputation
Aug 09 200222 yearsN/A
OnlineLast PostLast Page
4th Feb 18 19:474th Feb 18 16:26LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

: Thu Mar 12, 2009 12:02 pm  
Mintball wrote:
Le Grande Café de la Bourse does the best spaghetti carbonara I've ever tasted anywhere. Can't remember what it cost, but it wasn't expensive.

And I've had seriously good quiche at Le Grande Café de la Post too.

croque monsieur there is very nice indeed !!
and bar le source is cracking too
fredie 
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach5671No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jul 19 200717 yearsN/A
OnlineLast PostLast Page
18th May 09 16:311st Jan 70 00:00LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
home of Lord Ted. kogarah sydney australia
Signature
winning like never before. decoys. mouse traps. chicken wings. lollie pops. shepperds. the crusher. grapples. big league. In 1935 The Dragon Slayers as they were known defeated Canterbury bulldogs 91-6, which is still the biggest win in the Club's History. In 1907, the St George district had a club in the Sydney rugby union competition. Interestingly, the team's area was referred to as the 'Illawarra suburbs'. A resolution to form a St George rugby league club was made at a local meeting held in early 1908, but the movement faltered and collapsed. St George, wearing the district colours of red and white, played in the NSWRL's Third Grade competition in 1910, and formed a President's Cup team in 1911. References were found at the time to district teams being called 'The Saints'.the perfect 11

//www.dragons.com.au/shop/index.asp //dragons.leagueunlimited.com/ //www.showroom.com.au/dragons/drag ... 1intro.htm

: Thu Mar 12, 2009 12:14 pm  
Chris28 wrote:
You did this on their board about a week ago and still couldn't spell croissants properly :roll:
vegemite croissants :lol: with all the aussies there
RankPostsTeam
International Chairman32466No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 26 200222 yearsN/A
OnlineLast PostLast Page
7th Aug 18 19:235th Aug 18 15:14LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
Someday everything is gonna be different, When I paint my masterpiece
------------------------------------------------------
The Jerry Chicken Blog Page
------------------------------------------------------
BUY MY ART ONLINE AT ARTGALLERY.CO.UK

AT THE RIPPINGHAM GALLERY
ART PROFILE
On Twitter
On Facebook

: Thu Mar 12, 2009 12:18 pm  
Mintball wrote:

And if you drink measures that are not part of a local culture, you can expect to pay more.

The first time that we went to Perp we were invited to a Friday night at the St Esteve club to which, unfortunately, a group of Leeds p1sshead supporters tagged along, they'd sat outside various bars drinking all day long as that was the purpose for their three day trip - I'm sure we've all seen the same from all SL clubs when they visit there.

Anyhoo, said p1ssheads (who were all middle aged I hasten to add so as not to tar the younger p1ssheads who also tag along on Rhinos trips), stood at the bar abusing the barman for a while until one of them bought a round and tried to work out how much he was being charged for the half litre glasses he was buying.

Of course to him it was a pint, it wasn't, it was half a litre, but he was convinced it was a pint and so kicked up a fuss at being charged three euros "for a pint".

The argument was settled when a quarter litre glass was produced which actually looks much better value because its bigger than a British half pint, whereas the half litre glass looks more like a pint.

The barman tried to explain that the quarter litre glass was half of the half litre glass but that they charged two euros for the quarter litre - the morons were having none of it, it looked like a big half pint so they bought a dozen of the quarter litres instead of six half litres and paid 6 euros more than they should have - they were delighted and tried to explain their clever scam to everyone - we were all too busy laughing.
Wadski 
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach10446
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 29 200618 yearsN/A
OnlineLast PostLast Page
18th Jan 23 16:5428th Jul 20 08:35LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
For the latest Giants News on Twitter first: Click Here Now!

FREE STUFF
We're Claret and Gold

: Thu Mar 12, 2009 12:21 pm  
McLaren_Field wrote:
The first time that we went to Perp we were invited to a Friday night at the St Esteve club to which, unfortunately, a group of Leeds p1sshead supporters tagged along, they'd sat outside various bars drinking all day long as that was the purpose for their three day trip - I'm sure we've all seen the same from all SL clubs when they visit there.

Anyhoo, said p1ssheads (who were all middle aged I hasten to add so as not to tar the younger p1ssheads who also tag along on Rhinos trips), stood at the bar abusing the barman for a while until one of them bought a round and tried to work out how much he was being charged for the half litre glasses he was buying.

Of course to him it was a pint, it wasn't, it was half a litre, but he was convinced it was a pint and so kicked up a fuss at being charged three euros "for a pint".

The argument was settled when a quarter litre glass was produced which actually looks much better value because its bigger than a British half pint, whereas the half litre glass looks more like a pint.

The barman tried to explain that the quarter litre glass was half of the half litre glass but that they charged two euros for the quarter litre - the morons were having none of it, it looked like a big half pint so they bought a dozen of the quarter litres instead of six half litres and paid 6 euros more than they should have - they were delighted and tried to explain their clever scam to everyone - we were all too busy laughing.

What lovely a stereotype we portray to our French friends. Drunken and Thick.
RankPostsTeam
All Time Great47951No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
May 10 200222 yearsN/A
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature

"Do not take life too seriously. You will never get out of it alive" Elbert Hubbard

"We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars." Oscar Wilde

: Thu Mar 12, 2009 12:23 pm  
:roll: :lol:

We've done the St Esteve clubhouse trip twice – the first time, it was when Cas were in town. Two of their very young female followers started having a drunken brawl in the club house itself – if I remember correctly, they were cousins and they were fighting over the same lad. Foti with the Goti pulled them apart. The French patrons sat and looked on in astonishment (and not, I think, a little amusement at just how the English behave sometimes).

Oh there were tears and wailing about: "I wanna go home". Foti put at least one of them into a cab and sent them back to their hotel. Mad. Some of the other Cas fans were filming on their mobile phones.
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach13932No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 29 200419 yearsN/A
OnlineLast PostLast Page
24th Jul 10 10:271st Jan 70 00:00LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
"Richard Agar, get out of my club!!!"

If only Barbara Windsor was our chairperson...

: Thu Mar 12, 2009 12:23 pm  
Mintball wrote:
He can't spell a lot of English words properly, so there's bügger all hope of him spelling French words correctly. :wink:

And if you drink measures that are not part of a local culture, you can expect to pay more.

Or could it be that all the prices got put up when the rugby teams started coming over? Thats what we were told by someone who works for CST when over there last year
RankPostsTeam
All Time Great47951No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
May 10 200222 yearsN/A
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature

: Thu Mar 12, 2009 12:26 pm  
The Key wrote:
Or could it be that all the prices got put up when the rugby teams started coming over? Thats what we were told by someone who works for CST when over there last year

Well, we've never paid those kind of prices, and we've been over, between us, for four actual games since 2006, plus spending our summer holiday in the region last year.

And anyway, they've had rugby played in the town for a very long time – it's not new.

Wadski wrote:
What lovely a stereotype we portray to our French friends. Drunken and Thick.

tb was over there last weekend. He said that, at one point, someone was complaining that the bar staff where they were would shake hands with local customers when they left, but not with the visiting Cas fans.

As tb pointed out, they shake his hand when he leaves. Perhaps if more people made an effort to speak just a few words of the local language and absorb just an iota or two of the local culture, instead of assuming they can simply import their little corner of England all the time, then more would find their hand shaken at the end of a night?

Indeed, I remember overhearing an SL fan in Perpignan once, saying proudly that, when they'd arrived at their hotel, the receptionist had said 'Bonjour'. He'd refused to say it back and kept saying 'hello' until she did the same. And he was boasting, as though this was some great victory.

You could hardly make up the sheer pig-ignorant, dumbness of it.

Having said that, we tend to benefit – you seem to win big brownie points if you're England AND you make an effort. We usually end up with free drinks at some point in any foreign trip. Mind, we don't go to tourist bars to down Guinness or Fosters. We stick to proper local bars and cafés.
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach13932No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 29 200419 yearsN/A
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature

: Thu Mar 12, 2009 12:31 pm  
Mintball wrote:
Well, we've never paid those kind of prices, and we've been over, between us, for four actual games since 2006, plus spending our summer holiday in the region last year.

And anyway, they've had rugby played in the town for a very long time – it's not new.

I've been every year also since the inclusion of the Catalans, and although I haven't seen prices that were exactly 'five pound a pint' they haven't been far off and seem to go up slightly each year (not taking into account how badly the pound has been doing against the Euro which effected me last year either). We were told by someone that at their local they are charged 3 Euros a pint, and that he also noticed the prices shot up in the town centre around the time rugby fans started coming over for SL games. Last year I decided to just go to a shop and get 12 bottles of lager for a shade under 4 Euros and sit outside the bar everyone was using, and for this year will probably be doing something similar.
And while they have had rugby their a long time, I doubt that they will have had such a large influx of holidaying rugby supporters coming into the town anywhere near as often as they have since the inclusion of Catalan Dragons
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach13932No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 29 200419 yearsN/A
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature

: Thu Mar 12, 2009 12:36 pm  
Mintball wrote:

tb was over there last weekend. He said that, at one point, someone was complaining that the bar staff where they were would shake hands with local customers when they left, but not with the visiting Cas fans.

As tb pointed out, they shake his hand when he leaves. Perhaps if more people made an effort to speak just a few words of the local language and absorb just an iota or two of the local culture, instead of assuming they can simply import their little corner of England all the time, then more would find their hand shaken at the end of a night?

Indeed, I remember overhearing an SL fan in Perpignan once, saying proudly that, when they'd arrived at their hotel, the receptionist had said 'Bonjour'. He'd refused to say it back and kept saying 'hello' until she did the same. And he was boasting, as though this was some great victory.

You could hardly make up the sheer pig-ignorant, dumbness of it.

Having said that, we tend to benefit – you seem to win big brownie points if you're England AND you make an effort. We usually end up with free drinks at some point in any foreign trip. Mind, we don't go to tourist bars to down Guinness or Fosters. We stick to proper local bars and cafés.

While I hardly speak French (I did German for my GCSE) I did try when over there, and I basically did what you said there (Used French shops, French market places, French nightclubs that had hardly any tourists there, in fact I think last year the 3 of us that went to one were the only non-French there, etc etc ) and I found the response very mixed. The general public seemed ok, as did those in the market places. Just the staff, waiters etc seemed a bit snotty to us compared to the locals
PreviousNext