FORUMS FORUMS

RLFANS.COM
Celebrating
25 years service to
the Rugby League
Community!

WWW.RLFANS.COM • View topic - Could Toronto, London and Toulouse all get promoted?
Cokey 
RankPostsTeam
Club Owner21672
JoinedServiceReputation
Aug 19 201113 years58th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
6th Oct 24 21:446th Oct 24 21:44LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Across The Universe....... Jai guru deva om - Nothings gonna change my world.
Signature

JEAN CAPDOUZE wrote:
Toronto and Toulouse are. But you wouldn't know, sitting on a cardboard box in Sefton Street.

No they are not.How would you know living in a coal bunker in Chorley.
RankPostsTeam
Club Coach8679
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 22 200520 years197th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
24th Aug 24 17:5610th Aug 24 22:39LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
"I know you've had a bad day, but there's no need to take it out on me"

wrencat1873 wrote:
Why are Leigh fans so worried about other sides getting promoted, and Leigh remaining in the Championship.
Although your passion for your club is commendable, why is every other club in the wrong.

There is an issue about whether we should be expanding RL to far flung places. However, IF this is the right move, then lets get on with it.
We didnt have fans of other League 1 clubs moaning daily about Toronto having "unfair" advantage and "nobody" wanted them (Toronto) fast tracked to SL so, in essence, we have what "everybody wanted", which is Toronto working their way through the leagues and having to gain promotion via the middle 8's.
I just dont get the constant anti Toronto stuff that is posted on here every day of the week.
IF they gain promotion, good luck to them and if not, then another club may get a shot at the "big time" and if they do, good luck to them.

The middle 8's look like it will have 2 British clubs and 2 Overseas clubs (possibly) and if Leigh are in there, it will be up to them to perform and on the plus side, you have been there, read the book and bought the T shirt so, it should be advantage Leigh.

It seems that you will only be happy when any club outside the M62 corridor is jettisoned from the "domestic" competition and RL again becomes a Northern Sport for Norther People.

One day you may get your wish because, as things stand, the game is going backwards and without some new life being breathed into the game, it could well revert to a semi pro competition.

I'm not saying that Toronto, London or Toulouse are the answer but, Leigh and/or Fev getting promotes will do nothing to advance the game as a whole.

Enjoy the ride and take what comes.

I agree with a lot of what you say, I'm not worried at all, after all Leigh have only spent 2 seasons in Super League, we are used to being in the championship .
But what I will say is, I am for more interested in a club with history who have struggled for years, seeing the good times again. (i.e. Bradford, Oldham, York, Halifax, Hunslet Swinton etc) rather than a new club being created in a town/city and financing their way into the middle 8's. If Toronto gain promotion to SL, then they will have earned it. Just not sure why we have a 'planet earth' RFL, it's rather odd...to say the least. Are we that desperate ? Looks like we are...
RankPostsTeam
International Star1978
JoinedServiceReputation
May 23 201113 years206th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
6th Oct 24 18:006th Oct 24 17:57LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
Irony is represented below.

JEAN CAPDOUZE wrote:
He is not telling the truth. He is talking paranoid rubbish.

Sir Kevin Sinfield wrote:
It’s a good job, I remember Halifax taking several years to finish building their main stand.

Did Halifax move all their games to another country, or play home games en block while their stand was being built..
Alan 
RankPostsTeam
International Board Member11989
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 15 200222 yearsN/A
OnlineLast PostLast Page
8th May 20 07:1217th Mar 20 21:16LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

JEAN CAPDOUZE wrote:
Toronto and Toulouse are. But you wouldn't know, sitting on a cardboard box in Sefton Street.

Sorry Jean, they are NOT yet good enough. Granted, they are amongst the best three clubs in the Championship, (with Featherstone) but until they prove themselves in the 'Middle 8's', they have not proved themselves good enough for Super League.
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach1999
JoinedServiceReputation
Aug 30 200717 years318th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
2nd Oct 24 18:415th Jul 24 00:46LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

JEAN CAPDOUZE wrote:

Toronto could be, but they'll have to keep spending and shifting (better) players in and out of the squad to be competitive in the M8's. What could count against them is a lack of consistency in the team, and how that could affect things when they come up against stronger opposition. If Leigh keep on improving then they could be a threat in the M8's, but no other Championship club is anywhere near being able to compete with any current SL team.
RankPostsTeam
International Star2794
JoinedServiceReputation
Jun 16 201311 years285th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
18th Jun 23 08:5718th Jun 23 08:57LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Toronto are a good thing, a good thing but only with an open, transparent & honest agenda from the RFL.

Don't ask any heartland Club to blindly accept their ridiculous artificially inflated attendance figures *which should be based on actual purchased & paid for tickets for all clubs, no freebies* only the selectively blind fail to see the reality.

Do not ask those with sense to accept that they could not be pushing the edge re the Salary Cap or that they are playing with more Non Fed players than is permitted for all other clubs.

Do not ask those with any semblance of intelligence to blindly believe that TW have unfairly side stepped their commitment to playing in Canada by staging some of their "Home" games in London, Manchester etc or that it is in any way fair to play en-block & having the definite advantage of a season ending run of home advantage en-block while other clubs play home & away.

Toronto IMHO 'SHOULD' be admitted to SL along with Toulouse, but do not insult our intelligence & rather, be open & honest & submit an agreed plan from the outset, DO NOT in any way ask us to swallow the BS spin that we know is false.

If the RFL had come out & asked the member clubs to allow a stepped introduction of TW & Toulouse & also possibly London then it would more likely *I suspect* to be accepted by fans of heartland clubs 'if' it were honestly & openly communicated.

Let's not pretend this is a level playing field, it never was with Catalans after all, but is it not easier to accept something which can be openly seen than something that is shrouded in smoke & mirrors ?

FWIW, get TW in regardless of their ability to win a MPG, Toulouse also & maybe London but, give them a set framework & a deadline to be SL ready, this will allow them to prepare & invest knowing they are to be admitted.
Do not accept their word they are ready, check, check that their are actually 7,000 paying spectators, make sure that they are operating within the same rules *non fed players etc* as everyone else, be honest *difficult for the RFL* & see the change in perception from fans of other clubs.

Welcome them, but not AT ANY COST !
RankPostsTeam
Club Captain2921
JoinedServiceReputation
Jun 12 20177 yearsN/A
OnlineLast PostLast Page
15th Sep 19 21:4014th Sep 19 21:21LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
JESUS WEPT :WALL: HOW MANY TIMES?????
£20 a ticket and £15 on beer and merchandise.....so an away fan is worth £35. At best, 1,000 is the average away support split across 11 rounds and I am being really generous here, so Toronto, replacing say Wakefield will cost a SL club £35,000.
The minimum turnover of a SL club is £4,000,000 so Toronto instead of Widnes is worth less than 1% of a SL clubs turnover.

There are many valid reasons for and against expansion into America, but "AWAY FANS" isn't one of them. :BEAT:

Wellsy13 wrote:
There's a lot of rumour there. A lot of speculating.

Indeed there is

Wellsy13 wrote:
Them "only getting 2-3k" if you stio away all the free tickets is not only majorly speculative, it's not actually that bad in comparison to other Championship clubs and especially to new clubs.

Going on the TV evidence, there is not a chance in hell that they averaged at 78% capacity of their "home" ground. But, but telling an untruth and then repeating it, they convinced many RL fans that Canadians love the game.....the reality is that at Brunch-time events in Down Town Toronto fewer than 200 have turned up to watch live tele-casts of the game....those poor RL starved Canadians.....

Wellsy13 wrote:
To say their main fans are ex-pats and their attendances are all made up is just pushing false facts.

The falshood about attendances comes from their lies, not mine. As for where their fans originate from, we'll never know because once they are in SL the screens will all go up again and it'll never be made public knowledge until they fold once Argyle leaves.

Wellsy13 wrote:
The breaking the salary cap is just speculation also, pushed by those that just need to think they're cheating to get where they are.

Quota and Cap suspicions are warranted. Also are the comments regarding cost cutting. A regular Home and Away season would have cost them a lot more than 10 weeks bed and board in Toronto, all in one hit after the majority of the team spent the start of the season staying with their mums!

Wellsy13 wrote:
Why would you lose Halifax or Leigh because of an expansion club like Toronto? That's ridiculous.

If the trap door gets pulled up (it will have to, because North Americans don't want, do or understand relegation" then clubs in the lower tiers will wither and vanish as professional entities.

Wellsy13 wrote:
All in all, it doesn't sound like you don't hope they fail at all. It sounds very much like you want them to, given how easily you are willing to push speculation and gossip as fact.

As I said at the top, there is a load of speculation and rumour. The best way for that to stop is for the RFL/SL and the Pack to come clean.

They can start by not lying about attendances.....this weekend they should easily fill Fletchers Fields given their hoardes of fanatics have been starved of live action.....it's a 30 minute drive from downtown Toronto.....I wonder why they haven't been playing there sooner.....hmmmmm....it's a mystery. FWIW, many Torontonians will commute by over an hour to get to work........ Where's Perez gone?.......cryptic "he's a shareholder but not an employee' statements from the club and nothing from him in Boston, Hamilton, NYC or nevernever land........Hmmmm.....more mysteries.

I am not pushing anything as fact other than they owe their kit supplier money....which they do. The Kit Supplier posts on these very boards and will support this. That's why they've the same shirts as last year in their shop and the only new item is a locally sourced scarf....(7,000 fans, surely there's be more for them to buy".....

..as for wanting them to fail? Nope.....I'd love it they went all the way to Old Trafford, but the reality is that if they do, they will do so without a single Canadian playing for them, with an Australian bankrolling them and no sign of any of the mythical broadcast deals or sponsors flocking to our gates.....Remember, the bearded wonder walked us out at Wembley and we made 2 play offs as well as finishing 2nd in the league.....we now play at a wedding venue in the 2nd tier, bankrolled by a bloke with a guilty conscience...Argyle doesn't have a conscience.
RankPostsTeam
Club Owner10000No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 03 200421 yearsN/A
OnlineLast PostLast Page
5th Dec 20 08:087th Nov 20 13:24LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature

Call Me God wrote:
Indeed there is

Going on the TV evidence, there is not a chance in hell that they averaged at 78% capacity of their "home" ground. But, but telling an untruth and then repeating it, they convinced many RL fans that Canadians love the game.....the reality is that at Brunch-time events in Down Town Toronto fewer than 200 have turned up to watch live tele-casts of the game....those poor RL starved Canadians.....

How capacity is determined at their venue, I'm unsure. Whether it only includes the two stands or whether it includes the beer garden also, I'd need confirming. But if it doesn't, then that beer garden holds a lot and wild explain why the stands look emptier than you'd think, as well as the notorious late-coming Toronto public.

So just pushing pure speculation doesn't make you appear to be doing more than just pushing your agenda; not to mention the snobbery of only 200 attending live telecasts - maybe others were watching from home?

The falshood about attendances comes from their lies, not mine.

The falsehood about attendances comes from your speculation and second guessing based on them wanting to fail for some reason.

As for where their fans originate from, we'll never know because once they are in SL the screens will all go up again and it'll never be made public knowledge until they fold once Argyle leaves.

Ahh, I see. You're making one of those "I'll make a point, but you can't prove that I'm wrong" kind of arguments. A bit like the "chocolate teapot orbiting the sun near Pluto" kind of argument.

Quota and Cap suspicions are warranted.

Why? Because we can't prove otherwise?
Do they have the same quota rules being an expansion club?
The cap is the same as SL now. I don't think they're paying the same as a SL team currently. I think Leigh probably pay more. Yes, they're making a lot of signings, but they're releasing a lot of players also.
I think cap speculation is again only pushed by those with an agenda.

Also are the comments regarding cost cutting. A regular Home and Away season would have cost them a lot more than 10 weeks bed and board in Toronto, all in one hit after the majority of the team spent the start of the season staying with their mums!

1) You can only play at certain times of year in Toronto due to the climate, so some exceptions were always going to need to be made.
2) Their home ground being renovated has also required them to request to play away longer. This isn't going to happen every year and other clubs will and do ask for away games at certain times because of this (Leeds, Hull, etc).
3) Considering what the club are paying for (not just their own travel but that of the other teams also), it's fair to say that if they want to look at some ways of cutting costs, I think it's understandable given they're not receiving any funding from the game but are indeed funding others.

If the trap door gets pulled up (it will have to, because North Americans don't want, do or understand relegation" then clubs in the lower tiers will wither and vanish as professional entities.

Who said the trap door will be pulled up?
And even if it was, I didn't see them wither and die between 2008-2014.
Hyperbole is not an argument.

As I said at the top, there is a load of speculation and rumour. The best way for that to stop is for the RFL/SL and the Pack to come clean.

Ridiculous comment. They don't need to do anything. For you to say they need to come clean already means you've made your mind up. What if they have nothing to come clean about and everything you have said is wrong? You have no facts. People don't need to come out to squash rumours. That's not how the world works.

If you make a claim, it's up to you to prove it, not the others to refute it.

They can start by not lying about attendances.....this weekend they should easily fill Fletchers Fields given their hoardes of fanatics have been starved of live action.....it's a 30 minute drive from downtown Toronto.....I wonder why they haven't been playing there sooner.....hmmmmm....it's a mystery.

So now you're saying they should over stretch themselves? Why should they have to? They're not needing to prove anything to you. Why risk money on a large stadium (that for all we know could be unavailable) for what is still a club in its early development?

Give over. The standards you're asking of them are not in a par to anyone else. You'd never ask Leigh to play at Old Trafford in the Championship.

FWIW, many Torontonians will commute by over an hour to get to work........ Where's Perez gone?.......cryptic "he's a shareholder but not an employee' statements from the club and nothing from him in Boston, Hamilton, NYC or nevernever land........Hmmmm.....more mysteries.

More mysteries... or more conspiracies? For someone claiming to be for expansion, you're looking hard to knock it down... even in areas where you have literally no information!

I am not pushing anything as fact other than they owe their kit supplier money....which they do. The Kit Supplier posts on these very boards and will support this. That's why they've the same shirts as last year in their shop and the only new item is a locally sourced scarf....(7,000 fans, surely there's be more for them to buy".....

I won't comment on the kit supplying issue because I wouldn't know and aren't willing to speculate. If it's what you have based all the rest of your speculation on though, it's a bloody big leap!

..as for wanting them to fail? Nope.....I'd love it they went all the way to Old Trafford, but the reality is that if they do, they will do so without a single Canadian playing for them, with an Australian bankrolling them and no sign of any of the mythical broadcast deals or sponsors flocking to our gates.....Remember, the bearded wonder walked us out at Wembley and we made 2 play offs as well as finishing 2nd in the league.....we now play at a wedding venue in the 2nd tier, bankrolled by a bloke with a guilty conscience...

You want then to go all the way to Old Trafford, but even if they do, they don't deserve it basically. Yeah, that sounds like you're all in favour.

You have an agenda. Admit it. Don't sit behind your keyboard pedaling accusations about clubs lying when you can't even be honest on an online message board. You want them to fail because it's not expansion in the way you see fit, and rather than see this succeed, you'd rather they fail in order to prove yourself right. Which club do you support out of interest?

Argyle doesn't have a conscience.

Oh dear. Did the RFL forget to ask him that question when doing their due diligence?
RankPostsTeam
Club Coach17952
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 24 201113 years57th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
10th Sep 24 21:559th Sep 24 10:04LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Budgiezilla wrote:
I agree with a lot of what you say, I'm not worried at all, after all Leigh have only spent 2 seasons in Super League, we are used to being in the championship .
But what I will say is, I am for more interested in a club with history who have struggled for years, seeing the good times again. (i.e. Bradford, Oldham, York, Halifax, Hunslet Swinton etc) rather than a new club being created in a town/city and financing their way into the middle 8's. If Toronto gain promotion to SL, then they will have earned it. Just not sure why we have a 'planet earth' RFL, it's rather odd...to say the least. Are we that desperate ? Looks like we are...

I agree with you.
However, it may become a question of trying to advance the game, raising its profile and increasing revenue or, the game reverting to semi pro status.
Pre Super League, RL was great to watch, you could change ends at HT, mix with opposition fans etc but, Professional sport, like it or not, is all about the money and RL in the UK is going backwards.
How would you suggest that we reverse the trend ?
RankPostsTeam
International Star1946No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Aug 03 201311 yearsN/A
OnlineLast PostLast Page
7th Nov 18 06:0620th Oct 18 18:04LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
Superleague Titles
Warrington Wolfs - 0
Wakefield Trinity - 0
Leigh Centurions - 0

Budgiezilla wrote:
Surely it can only be a player from Catalans. Probably the best RL side I have ever witnessed in this season's comp.

Super league clubs have been inflating attendances for decades by including freebies and tickets purchased but not used. Now a team from another country do it and the little englanders of Leigh and Halifax get all upset. Work that one out

Regards

King James
PreviousNext