JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 17 200915 yearsN/A
OnlineLast PostLast Page
13th Dec 17 14:1413th Dec 17 08:54LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
JOHN THE REDBOY I have been a rovers fan all my life and my grandkids are as well

Re: BBC : Tue Oct 13, 2015 5:36 pm  
Andy Gilder wrote:
He's probably forgotten that himself, what with all the head injuries

to true
RankPostsTeam
Moderator5867
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 10 201212 years27th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
28th Jun 24 17:0028th Jun 24 07:44LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: BBC : Tue Oct 13, 2015 7:30 pm  
Andy Gilder wrote:

and the beer in the Taps PH Lytham might just have an affect on long and short term mem......
knockersbumpMKII 
RankPostsTeam
International Chairman
JoinedServiceReputation
23 years314th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
1st Jan 70 00:0020th Jun 22 17:41LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: BBC : Thu Oct 15, 2015 7:14 pm  
The Avenger wrote:
While I'm not dismissing the effects of repeated concussions, the cases of individuals who've suffered the type of long term condition shown in the programme are few and very far between.

I've been involved in Rugby League all my life, I myself have played at many different levels and know hundreds of friends who've played international, SL, NRL and amateur. I would struggle to name 4 or 5 that have any type of mental condition and it is debatable whether it was caused by Rugby League.

The issues are very real for those individuals who do suffer reactions to being concussed, so I'm not diminishing those cases.

However
The programme makers, sports scientists and doctors are doing what they always do and sensationalising their work with over the top reactions.

How does football escape this argument, the number of times you see a clash of heads in football is greater than either Rugby code. The damage caused by repeated heading of the ball must be more significant than that of the whiplash effect of collisions in Rugby. I for one would not want to get my head under a ball that's been launched 70 metres downfield by the opposition Goalkeeper.

Boxing, I love the sport but come on..
If we're having a discussion about the effects of concussion on sportsmen and women then it has to start with Boxing, UFC etc.

As someone said earlier this smacks of a smug BBC journalist trying to make a name for themselves by timing this oversensationalised programme with the start of ITVs Rugby World Cup.

Excellent post, I've dug into risk analysis in sport a fair bit and as part of my job did risk assessment for our company. I've always banged the drum against the misguided masses and how they misunderstand risk and how to avoid the issues that come up not by throwing a guard/helmet around something or a hi-vis vest but through behavioural/procedural & general environment change. The former actually increases incidents.

My particular personal beef with regard to risk are the lying/fact bending/sensationalising protagonists for cycle helmets, they usually have an agenda (Steve 'crackhead' Cracknell represents one of the big helmet manufacturers and always bangs on about how his helmet saved his life :BEAT: ) or simply aren't interested in facts either with head injuries or the efficacy of helmets, or rather their the lack thereof!
As you say RL is pretty low down in the head injury stakes even more so given that it is a full contact sport, that in part is to what we are taught as kids and how to play, we all know it fecking hurts to get your head in the wrong place in a tackle and endeavor not to repeat it, even the best make mistakes, just ask James Roby!

Yes getting hit by a swinging/stiff arm, elbow or the occasional accidental knee will happen and can have concussive effects which need looking at (banning the shoulder charge wasn't the solution IMHO) but there are far worse activities in life that need looking at first before you even get to things like boxing!

Walking for instance has roughly the same instance/rate of head injuries as there are for cyclists in the UK (it's actually slightly higher), but I've yet to see any (serious) calls for helmet wearing whilst walking, similarly driving a car, many thousands of head/neck injuries and hundreds of lives might be saved if motorvehicle drivers wore helmets (& neck braces) even for a trip to the supermarket. The truth is though that head injuries go up with helmet wearing (or safety aids in general) due to several factors the main one being risk compensation. It's pretty much the main reason that the ABA removed head gear from boxing due to the increase in concussions comparative to non headgear wearing (though cuts went up long term that is by far a better outcome)
It's the main reason why the NFL are now having to deal with the situation regarding suicides, dementia and other mental health problems due to the nature of the sport and the added protection which ironically were only introduced to stop deaths from happening.

In my opinion, RL has it about right, bring back the shoulder charge BUT penalising high shots has to have much more of a punishment not just to the club but to the individual as well.
RankPostsTeam
Club Coach457
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 09 200420 years309th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
24th Jun 24 14:3012th Jun 24 09:56LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
Adlington ARLFC 1988 -1992
Adlington Rangers ARLFC 1992 - 2009
Chorley Panthers ARLFC 2009 - 2011

Re: BBC : Thu Oct 15, 2015 8:36 pm  
alleycat wrote:
Bill Beaumont retired as a result of head injuries.

Probably blames it on the fact that he played a few games of amateur rugby league as a youngster for Adlington ARLFC.
Perry 
RankPostsTeam
International Board Member1169
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 10 200222 yearsN/A
OnlineLast PostLast Page
19th Jun 17 22:1515th Dec 15 08:03LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: BBC : Thu Oct 15, 2015 8:55 pm  
People I've spoken to who've played American Football admit that the padding and helmets are used more like offensive weapons than protective gear. It encourages them to impact far harder than they would without. While the helmet may prevent their skull from cracking it doesn't stop the brain rattling around inside the skull, and that's what causes concussion.

As for the program being BBC sour grapes, there might be a bit of that in it. On the other hand this story has been kicking around some of the more serious media for a couple of years now, slowly growing in volume. What really surprises me is that the RFU appear to be in denial, Bill Beaumont clearly hasn't realised that the physique of RU players today bear no relation to when he was playing. It's even more surprising considering areas of risk that are unique to RU, such as the risk of neck trauma from scrum collapses, or of falling from height when being lifted in the line out.

The only thing Rugby League can learn from this is to remain vigilant and not go into denial.
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach7611
JoinedServiceReputation
Sep 03 200519 years186th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
29th Jun 24 01:0719th Jun 24 15:35LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
Wigan RLFC

Re: BBC : Thu Oct 15, 2015 9:31 pm  
Perry wrote:
People I've spoken to who've played American Football admit that the padding and helmets are used more like offensive weapons than protective gear. It encourages them to impact far harder than they would without. While the helmet may prevent their skull from cracking it doesn't stop the brain rattling around inside the skull, and that's what causes concussion.

I played 7 seasons of it, and can say that's definitely true. I got 2 concussions in that time frame, both in training sessions & caused by members of my own team, both of them came from Helmet to Helmet contact, over a distance of less than 5 yards. Awareness from coaches is becoming better at least, with tackling techniques being altered to reduce the risk and gum shields are compulsory in Britain, your team can be penalised if a player doesn't have one in.
knockersbumpMKII 
RankPostsTeam
International Chairman
JoinedServiceReputation
23 years314th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: BBC : Thu Oct 15, 2015 10:54 pm  
Perry wrote:

As for the program being BBC sour grapes, there might be a bit of that in it. On the other hand this story has been kicking around some of the more serious media for a couple of years now, slowly growing in volume. What really surprises me is that the RFU appear to be in denial, Bill Beaumont clearly hasn't realised that the physique of RU players today bear no relation to when he was playing. It's even more surprising considering areas of risk that are unique to RU, such as the risk of neck trauma from scrum collapses, or of falling from height when being lifted in the line out.

The only thing Rugby League can learn from this is to remain vigilant and not go into denial.

Classic risk compensation in action, the problem with helmets especially that they cause rotational brain injuries, the injury that is more likely to turn you into a vegetative state than a simple fractured skull.
RankPostsTeam
Moderator39478
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 01 200222 years13th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
28th Jun 24 16:3827th Jun 24 12:06LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: BBC : Fri Oct 16, 2015 9:00 am  
Andy Gilder wrote:

Are you suggesting that he was assisted on Question of sport then? he was on that for aaages, so i recall.
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach5409No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jul 12 200717 years265th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
26th Jun 24 05:4130th May 24 16:31LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: BBC : Sat Oct 17, 2015 3:21 pm  
Watching the Wales game now and I may suffer concussions after banging my head against the wall, that's compounded by listening to that pr1ck Inverdale first....
knockersbumpMKII 
RankPostsTeam
International Chairman
JoinedServiceReputation
23 years314th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: BBC : Sat Oct 17, 2015 3:56 pm  
barham red wrote:
Watching the Wales game now and I may suffer concussions after banging my head against the wall, that's compounded by listening to that pr1ck Inverdale first....

it's really poor, got in after a bike ride thought i'd see if it was going to be any good...wales blow two tries, one because their top winger hasn't got a clue how to get past his man and then two fatties getting in the way or wayward pass/not being able to draw the man and then kick, kick, kick, kick...more kicks..Wales get a break on the back of the SA FB bottling it.
Inverdale could take a bullet he's such a tw at. no doubt he'll be back at the bbeb for the autumn internationals :NAUGHTY:
PreviousNext