Re: Knowles Thu Sep 22, 2022 10:45 pm  
Re: Knowles
Thu Sep 22, 2022 10:45 pm  

User avatarHopie wrote:
Hopie User avatar
Silver RLFANS Member

Member for 21 years
In Summary:
Referee Team on the Day, bad tackle please leave the field.
MRP, bad tackle please don't come back next week either.
Appeal Board, yup i dunt want you to play eether.
2nd Appeal Board, hold on a minute, that appeal verdict doesn't make complete sense, therefore everybody is wrong and he should play after all....

The second appeal board could overturn the first appeal decision if they wished, but that would still leave the MRP decision in place and allow for a fresh re-run of the 1st appeal, more sensibly they should have said, yes there is a technical error here here, but it was not material to the decision to ban the player, and that is the correct decision which they should have upheld.
“You are playing a game of football this afternoon but more than that you are playing for England, and more even than that, you are playing for right versus wrong. You will win because you have to win. Don’t forget that message from home. England expects every one of you to do his duty.”
Re: Knowles Thu Sep 22, 2022 11:00 pm  
Thu Sep 22, 2022 11:00 pm  

User avatarwrencat1873 wrote:
wrencat1873 User avatar
Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

Member for 11 years
TheWarringtonWolve69 wrote:
If people actually read how Knowles got off instead of just going “grrr St Helens” they would realise that Saints were actually correct. It’s not their fault the rfl are utterly incompetent and should be glad that St Helens did what they did which may open the door for other teams to get their players off stupid bans next season

Reading it doesn't make the decision any better.
Saints bring along an "expert" who suggests that the movement of the arm was within "the normal range" but, the RFL dont have their own expert" to counter this or, take evidence from the Salford player or, their medical team. Therefore, it's not balanced, is it ? Like going to court but, the prosecution lawyers dont turn up.

The simple judgement would be, how would you feel if it was, say, Welsby or Lomax on the receiving end of that challenge ? Maybe you closed your eyes. Certainly, Roby let go of the player when he saw what his mate was doing.
Re: Knowles Thu Sep 22, 2022 11:33 pm  
Thu Sep 22, 2022 11:33 pm  

Phuzzy wrote:
Phuzzy Bronze RLFANS Member
Bronze RLFANS Member

Member for 16 years
If people actually read how Knowles got off instead of just going “grrr St Helens” they would realise that Saints were actually correct. It’s not their fault the rfl are utterly incompetent and should be glad that St Helens did what they did which may open the door for other teams to get their players off stupid bans next season

Saints were only correct if you think the incompetent RFL/panel were correct which is basically saying you're prepared to believe a contradiction. The panel is either incompetent and Saints exploited this (as you claimed previously) or they're not and they got the decision correct. It can't be both.

The panel doesn't even understand the basic concept of "risk". They think it's a result and not a possibility. How could they possibly get the decision right if they don't even properly understand the underlying concept?
Re: Knowles Fri Sep 23, 2022 5:25 am  
Fri Sep 23, 2022 5:25 am  

Jason65 wrote:
Jason65 Cheeky half-back
Cheeky half-back

Member for 2 years
Hi mate. You’ve been quiet since “the best team in SL” got knocked out of the play offs by a team who lost more games than they won all season. You ok mate?

you still are thick arnt you,the best team wins the Gf I have said that all the time.
I am good thanks for asking and how are you I mean all of them in your head.

Been busy with work as you must be with your schoolwork mate.
Re: Knowles Fri Sep 23, 2022 5:32 am  
Fri Sep 23, 2022 5:32 am  

User avatarMild Rover wrote:
Mild Rover User avatar
100% League Network
100% League Network

Member for 15 years
Hopie wrote:
In Summary:
2nd Appeal Board, hold on a minute, that appeal verdict doesn't make complete sense, therefore everybody is wrong and he should play after all....

The second appeal board could overturn the first appeal decision if they wished, but that would still leave the MRP decision in place and allow for a fresh re-run of the 1st appeal, more sensibly they should have said, yes there is a technical error here here, but it was not material to the decision to ban the player, and that is the correct decision which they should have upheld.

I don’t think there is necessarily even a technical error.

wrencat1873 wrote:
Saints bring along an "expert" who suggests that the movement of the arm was within "the normal range" but, the RFL dont have their own expert" to counter this or, take evidence from the Salford player or, their medical team. Therefore, it's not balanced, is it ? Like going to court but, the prosecution lawyers dont turn up.

The simple judgement would be, how would you feel if it was, say, Welsby or Lomax on the receiving end of that challenge ? Maybe you closed your eyes. Certainly, Roby let go of the player when he saw what his mate was doing.

This tribunal only interpreted the previous panels’ rulings, which did include an acknowledgement that there was uncertainty about whether Atkin’s shoulder or wrist were ever in an unnatural position - with the caveat that, even with Atkin twisting his body to avoid injury, the end of natural motion appeared to have been reached and he was in a put in a vulnerable position. There was no new expert evidence. Just a newly introduced definition of unacceptable risk, which the panel found so compelling that they deemed the interpretations and decisions of the previous panels not just wrong but unreasonable.

I imagine the reason this second appeal is (was?) used so rarely is that the tribunal essentially have to say that two panels were not just, in their opinion, incorrect but that they messed up. Now that this panel have shown a willingness to do that, in response to an argument that many view as weak (basically, falling for the ‘given that…’ trick), I expect a lot more of these tribunals to be convened in the future.

Mind you, it doesn’t look like even the RFL is very comfortable with it all. Is it normal for one of these decisions to be accompanied by a reminder that the work of these panels is challenging, complex and difficult and that recommendations for improvements will be made soon?
https://www.rugby-league.com/article/60 ... an-knowles

It’s not quite an explicit apology, but it is at the end of that range.
Hopie wrote:
In Summary:

wrencat1873 wrote:

This tribunal only interpreted the previous panels’ rulings, which did include an acknowledgement that there was uncertainty about whether Atkin’s shoulder or wrist were ever in an unnatural position - with the caveat that, even with Atkin twisting his body to avoid injury, the end of natural motion appeared to have been reached and he was in a put in a vulnerable position. There was no new expert evidence. Just a newly introduced definition of unacceptable risk, which the panel found so compelling that they deemed the interpretations and decisions of the previous panels not just wrong but unreasonable.

I imagine the reason this second appeal is (was?) used so rarely is that the tribunal essentially have to say that two panels were not just, in their opinion, incorrect but that they messed up. Now that this panel have shown a willingness to do that, in response to an argument that many view as weak (basically, falling for the ‘given that…’ trick), I expect a lot more of these tribunals to be convened in the future.

Mind you, it doesn’t look like even the RFL is very comfortable with it all. Is it normal for one of these decisions to be accompanied by a reminder that the work of these panels is challenging, complex and difficult and that recommendations for improvements will be made soon?

'Thus I am tormented by my curiosity and humbled by my ignorance.' from History of an Old Bramin, The New York Mirror (A Weekly Journal Devoted to Literature and the Fine Arts), February 16th 1833.
Re: Knowles Fri Sep 23, 2022 7:20 am  
Fri Sep 23, 2022 7:20 am  

bewareshadows User avatar
Silver RLFANS Member
Silver RLFANS Member

Member for 13 years
Mild Rover wrote:

Thanks for the link.

So those calling the rfl corrupt need to understand that this was not a rfl hearing. It was an independent tribunal.

This happens in many walks of life, if you exhaust appeals with a government authority (eg hmrc) you can take it to tribunal but that process is independent of the authority itself.
Mild Rover wrote:

Thanks for the link.

So those calling the rfl corrupt need to understand that this was not a rfl hearing. It was an independent tribunal.

This happens in many walks of life, if you exhaust appeals with a government authority (eg hmrc) you can take it to tribunal but that process is independent of the authority itself.
We can be bold enough to make a stand and do battle for our views and beliefs. But we must strive to be mature enough not to resort to unnecessary personal attacks upon people with opposing views.
Re: Knowles Fri Sep 23, 2022 7:27 am  
Fri Sep 23, 2022 7:27 am  

User avatarwrencat1873 wrote:
wrencat1873 User avatar
Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

Member for 11 years
Mild Rover wrote:

Great post and thanks for the info.
I guess that people should point the finger at Saints and their determination to "get their player off", well done to them, a true champion team, and a perfect example of how things should be run.
I may just bow as they take to the field tomorrow.

I do wonder if their "expert" would enjoy the same pressures being applied to their shoulder by Knowles ?
Mild Rover wrote:

Great post and thanks for the info.
I guess that people should point the finger at Saints and their determination to "get their player off", well done to them, a true champion team, and a perfect example of how things should be run.
I may just bow as they take to the field tomorrow.

I do wonder if their "expert" would enjoy the same pressures being applied to their shoulder by Knowles ?
Re: Knowles Fri Sep 23, 2022 9:09 am  
Fri Sep 23, 2022 9:09 am  

User avatarEgg Chasing wrote:
Egg Chasing User avatar
Bronze RLFANS Member
Bronze RLFANS Member

Member for 10 years
bewareshadows wrote:
Thanks for the link.

A judge (who semmingly cocked up) and two ex players, one of whom has definitely served on the MRP. Hardly "independent"

Just sounds to me like the RFL washing their hands of the error by saying "we weren't there you can't blame us"
Re: Knowles Fri Sep 23, 2022 11:10 am  
Fri Sep 23, 2022 11:10 am  
shinymcshine241 Eddie Hemmings's Wig
Eddie Hemmings's Wig

Member for 1 year
It's still a weird interpretation:

"their opinion that there was an unacceptable risk taken by the player was wrong, as they had already agreed that the arm was never in an unnatural position Mr Knowles’ actions were, therefore, not reckless."

The players arm was moved by Knowles, therefore you could consider this a 'unnatural' position (as it wasn't a voluntary movement) together than any movement of the arm by Knowles increased the risk of injury (as opposed to if the arm wasn't moved at all), and since there was no need for Knowles to do what he did it could be deemed reckless too

So I get why they've decided to go with what they did, but it's far from conclusive.
Re: Knowles Fri Sep 23, 2022 11:55 am  
Fri Sep 23, 2022 11:55 am  

User avatarjools wrote:
jools User avatar
Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

Member for 11 years
You know what I just don’t care any more. In fact I’m probably not even going to bother watching the game because no matter what the outcome the talking point is now not likely going to be about the skill and talent of all or any of the players on the field.
the future's bright the future's claret and gold
PreviousNext