FORUMS FORUMS

RLFANS.COM
Celebrating
25 years service to
the Rugby League
Community!

Current LIVE TV Match : Castleford Tigers 0 - 12 Leeds Rhinos LIVE ON SKY SPORTS Momirovski Try, Martin Goal
WWW.RLFANS.COM • View topic - new chairman
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach3096
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 26 200518 years227th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
28th Mar 24 17:0127th Mar 24 17:04LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
Pollsters doing Excellent job - say recent polls.

Re: new chairman : Sat Apr 03, 2021 12:43 pm  
The article is available on Twitter. There’s a question about the academy which is a little concerning. He says we’ve put in a really good bid to continue our academy which is obv good news. But he then says some of the SL clubs would prefer fewer, but higher quality academies.
Is there potentially a limit on number of academies? What if SL decided they would only pay for 12 academies? Would a choice have to be made between London & Newcastle & ourselves?
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach4296
JoinedServiceReputation
Jul 13 200915 years188th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
28th Mar 24 14:0226th Mar 24 21:07LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
BullBuidler - Bradford Bulls Supporters Trust
www.bullbuilder.co.uk

Re: new chairman : Sat Apr 03, 2021 1:40 pm  
Here is the full article:

Nigel Wood admits he was "a touch reluctant" to become Bradford Bulls chairman

FORMER RFL chief executive Nigel Wood has today given his first interview since becoming chairman of Bradford Bulls. Wood and his family have had a majority stake in the club since their consortium took charge from Andrew Chalmers in 2019. Here he answers questions from the Telegraph & Argus about his new role, the intended return to Odsal, the club’s financial position and their ambitions on the field.

Can you put a time frame on when you hope to see the Bulls playing at Odsal again?
"We are working with the leaseholder (RFL), the freeholder (Bradford Council) and Startrax around the clock. While we are making good progress, there is still some ground to cover in making it a sustainable and viable location. That is the most important aspect for the Bulls to prevent any future traumas for the club. We are however hopeful that we could have some positive news shortly."

How damaging has it been for the club’s reputation and identity to not be playing in the city?
"In our view it is vital to get back to the city. It is our first, and probably second and third priorities for that matter.
Moving grounds is a really risky undertaking and there have been too many examples, particularly in rugby league, where clubs move and disintegrate within a decade. We all know of clubs that are a shadow of themselves after leaving their home towns, and I think it’s fair to say London Broncos have paid a bit of a price for their nomadic past."

Was there ever a worry that getting back to Bradford might not happen and how much work has taken place to achieve this?
"Getting back to Bradford is our number one objective but it can’t just be about getting back. All my life there have been “plans for Odsal” but nothing has emerged and little has been spent on it for nearly two decades. Most other towns and cities in the world of rugby league have managed to move forward substantially during that time and there is no reason why the Bulls supporters shouldn’t expect facilities with the same levels of comfort and enjoyment as they get when going to other grounds. But that is a medium-term objective and certainly not one we can achieve on our own. I am just a proud Bradfordian who happens to believe that the city needs the Bulls and the Bulls actually need to be in the city."

How does the club’s current position compare with when the consortium took over in 2019?
"The club is stable financially and virtually all significant historic debt has been paid down."

Obviously, a lot of Bulls fans are naturally wary after what has happened with the club in recent years. What assurances can you offer about the situation going forward?
"The past 12 months have been a great challenge for all sections of society and no one has been immune.
A number of people have suggested the club should simply enter administration and that may have been the easy thing for us to do, but we were adamant that couldn’t happen after the previous decade. We were conscious we needed to start rebuilding trust."

What is your view on the job that Mark Sawyer has done to help stabilise the club since the buy-out?
"Mark is a sound and experienced operator and has done a really, really good job. He would also be the first to say it has been a good team effort from a number of other volunteers and staff. Our ownership is predicated on trying to maintain more stability, but we are still very much “in it to win it”. We are in the entertainment industry after all with responsibilities for many people’s hopes and aspirations."

Are you taking up the role as chairman reluctantly or is this something that was always planned?
"I really didn’t want to do anything that could potentially damage the club or confidence in it, so I suppose the candid answer is yes, I was a touch reluctant to become chairman. The only thing that matters is the club and whatever is in the club’s very best interests, but people I trust, and whose opinion I value, said I needed to step up. It certainly wasn’t part of my life plan to rock up as chairman at this stage - it is a serious commitment. Trust me, there are calmer and more peaceful retirement options. And I would add, to be clear, that if anyone better qualified or better resourced puts their hand up, I would very happily stand back if it serves the best interests of the club. But until that day, I’ll give it my very best shot to do some good for the club."

What is your reaction to the online criticism – and how do you plan to win over the “boo boys”?
"I don’t really have a reaction as such. I have had some high-profile positions and inevitably been associated with decisions that may have upset people from time to time. So, it goes with the territory whether I like it or not. We live in an era when opinions are shared openly.
Some are informed opinions but some, actually the majority, are not and there will be plenty of time to straighten that up going forward. I can only ask to be judged on our collective performance since we took up the challenge at the end of 2019 and I don’t think we have let anyone down so far. And I will be very happy to talk face to face with anyone, who wants to be constructive, when some normality returns, on anything I can help with."

The Bulls have ambitions of reaching the play-offs this season. How confident are you that this will be a good campaign?
"I think the Championship is an under-rated competition and there are some great squads and strong clubs.
I know the coaching team are very happy with the recruitment. We will want to improve year-on-year and build a strong club that supporters and the city deserve."

How would you describe the job that John Kear has done and continues to do in rebuilding the Bulls after the lean years?
"John is a very experienced coach whom I’ve known for a while, as you’d expect, and whom I respect greatly."

What is the current situation regarding the new academy licence?
"We are submitting our academy application this week and yes, we place a very great emphasis on the academy."

Is it even more important now to continue producing young talent?
"The RFL have a policy of “fewer, better academies” and maybe some Super League clubs, where it seems to have been discussed, share that philosophy. We would support a “more, better academies” approach. We enthusiastically agree that there needs to be high standards, but we are in the market for giving young people playing and career opportunities…in all areas of professional sports by the way, not just on the field of play"
RankPostsTeam
International Star738No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jul 24 201410 years256th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
18th Jan 24 23:0923rd Nov 22 10:35LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: new chairman : Sat Apr 03, 2021 8:49 pm  
Highlander wrote:
The article is available on Twitter. There’s a question about the academy which is a little concerning. He says we’ve put in a really good bid to continue our academy which is obv good news. But he then says some of the SL clubs would prefer fewer, but higher quality academies.
Is there potentially a limit on number of academies? What if SL decided they would only pay for 12 academies? Would a choice have to be made between London & Newcastle & ourselves?

I can't imagine SL clubs would vote to end our academy, they have had much success out of it. I also think we can continue an academy but with no funds from SL.
RankPostsTeam
International Star1934No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
May 09 201113 years265th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
15th Nov 23 14:0123rd Mar 23 01:19LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: new chairman : Sun Apr 04, 2021 2:05 pm  
If I'd read that I wouldn't have bought the season ticket. A Chairman who has come to own the club through a series of calamities that he was directly involved in, tells the supporters that he doesn't really want the job and that online criticism of him is not informed when he has offered not one single word of explanation and his former mates at the RFL refused an inquiry.

I think this is almost as shameful as today's performance.
RankPostsTeam
International Star1882
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 09 201113 years284th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
28th Mar 24 09:3623rd Mar 24 13:24LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
广东佛山市顺德区中国 Guangdong Fo Shan City Shun De China

Re: new chairman : Sun Apr 04, 2021 2:23 pm  
M@islebugs wrote:
If I'd read that I wouldn't have bought the season ticket. A Chairman who has come to own the club through a series of calamities that he was directly involved in, tells the supporters that he doesn't really want the job and that online criticism of him is not informed when he has offered not one single word of explanation and his former mates at the RFL refused an inquiry.

I think this is almost as shameful as today's performance.

depressing ... the infamous bulls saga rolls ever onwards. one day we will tap our heals together and realize it was all a dream and back in Kansas
RankPostsTeam
International Board Member632No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 18 200222 years302nd
OnlineLast PostLast Page
30th Jul 23 21:4330th Jul 23 21:43LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: new chairman : Sun Apr 04, 2021 6:28 pm  
A lot of softballs in that interview, I guess the price that has to be paid for him to break his silence.

Not filled with confidence when he points to London having paid the price for a nomadic past, when surely we are the ultimate example of a club that is a shadow of its former self and that happened exclusively when we were playing at Odsal.

If we could get any kind of real answers out of him, it would be interesting to know why we've been fed this "Nigel is a minority shareholder, he has no interest in the actual club" rubbish for nearly two years when most people who take an interest knew this was coming.

The club's had an easy ride over the past 18 months cos of Covid, but the fact is in the last full season we were challenging for promotion and knocked Leeds out of the cup. Now we've sold all the players, not even in Bradford and getting stuffed left, right and Centre and yet all the pre season guff was how we were fully stable now thanks to Sawyer, Wood and Co. I fear 2021 will have a lot of chickens coming home to roost for us - maybe the trade press will start asking questions then rather than telling us to suck it up. Given they didn't even bother covering the announcement that the former RFL head had taken over at the club in the last remaining paper last week, I won't hold my breath.

The sad thing is, present company excepted, most fans left probably don't care. Results this year might change things, but I doubt it. Will just see JK sacked first rather than asking why on earth the former champions of the world are getting thumped playing a home game in Dewsbury in front of 1000 people on a Monday night
RankPostsTeam
International Star2024
JoinedServiceReputation
Nov 28 200914 years268th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
28th Mar 24 14:0326th Mar 24 17:14LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: new chairman : Sun Apr 04, 2021 6:46 pm  
To be fair comparing to the 2019 team that was clearly funded on sand doesn’t give a fair reflection. On paper the 2019 team beat Leeds and pushed for promotion but once again was unsustainable.
RankPostsTeam
International Board Member632No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 18 200222 years302nd
OnlineLast PostLast Page
30th Jul 23 21:4330th Jul 23 21:43LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: new chairman : Sun Apr 04, 2021 6:54 pm  
Betsy Bulls wrote:
To be fair comparing to the 2019 team that was clearly funded on sand doesn’t give a fair reflection. On paper the 2019 team beat Leeds and pushed for promotion but once again was unsustainable.

Do you agree with the position the club is in now and the decisions that have been made since? If not then its kind of a moot point in my wider argument, but I know what you're getting at. Let's not forget we were told when we went for SL promotion when Toronto went bust we were SL Ready...!

I'm not interested in another cutting our cloth debate, but we've let promising young players go and brought in Danny Brough who won't be cheap so it's not like we've got no money. I don't think you can look at some of the plodders out on the paddock in a Bulls shirt this season and think that's stability. There are plenty of other teams with a worse budget than us that would currently play us off the park. That's my issue, Sawyer, Wood et al are yet another emperors new clothes.
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach1218No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 26 200618 years172nd
OnlineLast PostLast Page
26th Aug 23 09:3924th Aug 23 15:06LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: new chairman : Sun Apr 04, 2021 10:54 pm  
amberavenger wrote:
Do you agree with the position the club is in now and the decisions that have been made since? If not then its kind of a moot point in my wider argument, but I know what you're getting at. Let's not forget we were told when we went for SL promotion when Toronto went bust we were SL Ready...!

I'm not interested in another cutting our cloth debate, but we've let promising young players go and brought in Danny Brough who won't be cheap so it's not like we've got no money. I don't think you can look at some of the plodders out on the paddock in a Bulls shirt this season and think that's stability. There are plenty of other teams with a worse budget than us that would currently play us off the park. That's my issue, Sawyer, Wood et al are yet another emperors new clothes.

Would you care to elaborate on what our budget is and which clubs are spending less and what their budgets are?
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach3096
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 26 200518 years227th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
28th Mar 24 17:0127th Mar 24 17:04LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
Pollsters doing Excellent job - say recent polls.

Re: new chairman : Mon Apr 05, 2021 7:07 am  
amberavenger wrote:

Up until yesterday, I thought the club had done a reasonable job stabilising things after Chalmers had spent more money than we had, again. Crucially last season they’d avoided administration by paying off all the creditors Chalmers had left. I don’t know what effect Covid has had on the club finances but I thought there may have been a surplus due to staff furlough. After the reserves were cut, up to 10 players were released (are these the young players you mean?) as they had no way of being played.
I suppose it all depends on how much club funds are being diverted into the stadium.
Would this be a good season if we finished mid table, back at a slightly improved Odsal, with our academy renewed for another 5 years and no hint of an administration event? I would say that would fit an acceptable season for me. If all those things happened and we got into playoffs, I would call it a good season.
PreviousNext