JoinedServiceReputation
Jun 22 200519 years302nd
OnlineLast PostLast Page
16th May 24 17:315th Apr 24 15:21LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Cibaman wrote:
I think the insinuation is that they never included VAT on the season tickets, hence HMRC wouldn't have initially known there was a VAT liability to send them reminders about. .

Wouldn't hmrc have picked up on fact a business, which was previously paying vat on 10k+ gate receipts (x13 games per yr), and had been making similar sized payments for the previous decade, was suddenly paying next to nothing. Would have thought that would be caught in first yr at the longest.
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach3124No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 25 200618 yearsN/A
OnlineLast PostLast Page
6th Sep 16 18:072nd Sep 16 21:29LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
YOU CAN LEARN FROM THE PAST BUT NOT RELIVE IT.YOU CAN HOPE FOR THE FUTURE BUT CAN NEVER BE SURE THERE WILL BE ONE.

It `d have been a darn sight less than a year.When we had a business we paid our vat every 3 months and we never dared be late .You get regular letters telling you about late payments and the fines you get if you do not pay on time.They are not hollow threats and some of our friends ran up against them so ours were always paid promptly.Even when they took their time to repay money owed to us we always paid what we owed them promptly.
RankPostsTeam
International Star1795No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 19 201113 yearsN/A
OnlineLast PostLast Page
12th Apr 21 08:084th Jan 21 14:28LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

mat wrote:
Wouldn't hmrc have picked up on fact a business, which was previously paying vat on 10k+ gate receipts (x13 games per yr), and had been making similar sized payments for the previous decade, was suddenly paying next to nothing. Would have thought that would be caught in first yr at the longest.

Correct mat. The vat mans computers do sense checks on returns and if a figure is outside whatever parameters they set you get a phone call asking for an explanation and a date for an inspection. the question is the parameters they set: in my experience it is when you make a reclaim after consistently paying, but that was a good few years ago and they may well have fine tuned the parameters. certainly the Bulls would be a big reduction that would eventually have been picked up in an inspection visit, even then the club might have fought it however googling bradford bulls VAT appeal does not come up with anything.

PS just googled "VAT on club memberships" and OK i've only skimmed it: although it says that rugby league clubs are a sporting activity to which it applies, it also says that social or NON PLAYING MEMBERSHIP subscriptions are STANDARD RATED, which is in VAT Notice 701/45 (revised Aug 2011). It also says that commercial enterprises are not eligible bodies, and I dont think Bulls Holdings have secretly converted to a charity.

So there it is. My instincts based on a rule of thumb calculation, subsequently voiced by another poster, that two years VAT would cause instant admin are supported by the VAT Notices. you would have to be a real weasel of a VAT advisor to get anything significant past the rules. Anybody see a credible weasel at Odsal a couple of years ago?

Adey can you come back please!
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach7062
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 21 200716 years141st
OnlineLast PostLast Page
17th May 24 15:3417th May 24 12:29LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
nosorożce biorą to w dupę

Anyone hear Coulby on Radio Leeds?

Apprantly PAYE wasn't paid for April and HMRC gave the club 24 hours to pay up.

This may be the case but in my experience of dealing with HMRC they've actually been one of the more reasonable creditors to deal with. I honestly have not come across such a thing. Still that's what we are being told!

Everything that comes out of the club leaves me with more questions than answers. I really don't know what to think so I'm avoiding all this and will just concentrate on chearing the lads on next week. I'll find out soon enough what's happening.
dboy 
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach4153
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 12 200519 years110th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
17th May 24 15:3117th May 24 23:25LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Maccbull_BigBullyBooaza wrote:

This may be the case but in my experience of dealing with HMRC they've actually been one of the more reasonable creditors to deal with. I honestly have not come across such a thing.

No, it happened before and it's actually what tipped Wakefield, who also had a standing agreement with HMRC.

The stitch up between the RFL and Crusaders effectively robbed the HMRC out of what had previously been agreed (by Crusaders, underwritten by the RFL).

Hence HMRC revoked all standing agreements with RFL members (e.g. Wakefield), and will not make further staged payment agreements.

Wakefield's dept became payable overnight (bye bye Mr Richardson, hello administrator), and no leeway will be given to other club's now.

You owe, you pay.
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach8990
JoinedServiceReputation
Sep 26 200915 years304th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
9th Apr 24 04:0226th Sep 23 15:50LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
We can be bold enough to make a stand and do battle for our views and beliefs. But we must strive to be mature enough not to resort to unnecessary personal attacks upon people with opposing views.

Didn't the administrators for Wakey actually sell players to keep the club going until a new buyer was found. Either to produce cash to keep it as a going concern or to reduce the debt to make it more attractive to a new buyer.

Could this be the result for Bradford, if administrators come in would one of their first ideas be to start looking at that alleged 6 figure offer from Warrington? Or does it depend who calls in the administrators, ie the club or the HMRC???
mat 
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach9550
JoinedServiceReputation
Jun 22 200519 years302nd
OnlineLast PostLast Page
16th May 24 17:315th Apr 24 15:21LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

bewareshadows wrote:
Didn't the administrators for Wakey actually sell players to keep the club going until a new buyer was found. Either to produce cash to keep it as a going concern or to reduce the debt to make it more attractive to a new buyer.

Could this be the result for Bradford, if administrators come in would one of their first ideas be to start looking at that alleged 6 figure offer from Warrington? Or does it depend who calls in the administrators, ie the club or the HMRC???

from memory glover either wasnt in the frame or had only just shown an interest at point admin were called in at wakey. he had to pass fit and proper person checks at RFL before he bought the club hence a delay of a week or two and admininstrators selling players.

Bit different situation here as its going to caisley (or a consortium fronted by him) who takeover and he's already passed the fit and proper person test, which was confirmed by RFL in a T&A article a few weeks ago. So the delay in the changeover should be much reduced.
RankPostsTeam
International Board Member14145No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 22 200122 yearsN/A
OnlineLast PostLast Page
16th Aug 20 18:2727th Oct 19 01:15LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

bewareshadows wrote:

HMRC cannot appoint administrators. No unsecured creditor can.

The directors can; a debenture holder can intervene and see their own nominee appointed. But the whole point of administration is to protect the business from its creditors while a sale as some sort of a going concern is sought.
RankPostsTeam
International Board Member14145No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 22 200122 yearsN/A
OnlineLast PostLast Page
16th Aug 20 18:2727th Oct 19 01:15LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Maccbull_BigBullyBooaza wrote:
Anyone hear Coulby on Radio Leeds?

This may be the case but in my experience of dealing with HMRC they've actually been one of the more reasonable creditors to deal with. I honestly have not come across such a thing. Still that's what we are being told!

Everything that comes out of the club leaves me with more questions than answers. I really don't know what to think so I'm avoiding all this and will just concentrate on chearing the lads on next week. I'll find out soon enough what's happening.

The April PAYE was due 22 May (if paid electronically) so that is totally down to the new board. I suspect the old board timed their standing down quite carefully.

And yes, HMRC ARE normally reasonable when you are a struggling business doing your best. But they have had their fingers burned so many times in the leisure sector in general, and with sports clubs in particular, that they have totally lost patience.

Know what? I do not blame HMRC one bit. Why the hell should a sports club use money it has deducted from employee salaries, or collected from customers - money that was never its own in the first bloody place - to fund its operations? I have said in the past that IMO it is tantamount to theft if the business goes under and such monies are not paid, and it would be totally hypocritical of me to suggest the Bulls should be any exception. It is a bloody disgrace, whoever is responsible.
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach3859No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 09 200519 yearsN/A
OnlineLast PostLast Page
16th Jul 17 18:2016th Jul 17 17:21LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

BBC Look North: #Bradford Bulls director tells @harrylooknorth about possible investment to save the club after winding-up order. More at 10.25 BBC1.
PreviousNext