FORUMS FORUMS

RLFANS.COM
Celebrating
25 years service to
the Rugby League
Community!

WWW.RLFANS.COM • View topic - An outsiders view...
steve 
RankPostsTeam
International Board Member410No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 22 200122 yearsN/A
OnlineLast PostLast Page
7th Apr 14 15:457th Apr 14 11:58LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

An outsiders view... : Sat Apr 18, 2009 9:54 am  
I have no axe to grind here - but my view is that you can trace the start of your downfall with the return to Odsal. I know you won the GF in 2005 but that was on the back of saints being decimated with injury and Bradford "bringing" in Adrian Morely...

But consider the club has spent so much money trying to bring Odsal upto scratch and maintain the standards that the books have to balance somewhere and unfortunately for you its with player strength.

You had a perfectly good solution by ground sharing that would have helped both the sporting teams in Bradford - you were able to create more of an atmosphere and as a visiting supporters we were getting used to the ground!!!

Whilst Mcnamara is not the greatest coach he's not got the greatest squad to work with either - I just think the price you have paid to go back is too high.

Discuss??
RankPostsTeam
International Board Member28357
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 17 200222 yearsN/A
OnlineLast PostLast Page
2nd May 24 20:2424th Oct 19 15:32LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
Last edited by Ferocious Aardvark on stardate Jun 26, 3013 11:27 am, edited 48,562,867,458,300,023 times in total

: Sat Apr 18, 2009 9:59 am  
Not much to discuss, it's common knowledge that Odsal is a gigantic drain on resources but it hasn't been the only one, eg the Harrisgate. But ATEOTD fans were voting with their feet and just didn't want VP, which was hardly cheap anyway, they were charging us an arm and a leg to rent time there.
RankPostsTeam
Moderator10969
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 01 200222 years300th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
21st Jan 23 15:1321st Jun 22 13:35LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
Mark Twain

Build Bridges NOT Walls

: Sat Apr 18, 2009 3:48 pm  
A little simplistic to be honest. According to the chairman we`re spending up to the cap, or at least we`ve budgeted to spend the full cap. We made an offer to Fui Fui Moi Moi but he didn`t come (surprise surprise) and now Tame Tupou is off the list but those are the only reasons we`re under.

The relative lack of quality in the squad is down to other reasons; more clubs able to pay the full cap and more clubs in SL, both of which, given no actual increase in available players, mean players become a more valuable commodity. We haven`t (oh please be true) gone down the route of offshore payments (maybe the financial problems when leaving VP are the reason: discuss) so we have been disadvantaged in terms of the quality of player available to us.

The simple fact is that the VP deal is off the agenda. At the moment it seems that even Bradford City feel the cost of playing there is too high, in fact the current chairman there has floated the idea of moving to Odsal SV when built. Sorry IF built.
Visage 
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach2087
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 05 200915 yearsN/A
OnlineLast PostLast Page
30th Jun 17 07:4229th Aug 13 07:07LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
Old Mr Jones went to his surgery for his annual health check. The practice nurse said to him, Mr Jones you have to stop masturbating. Why, he said. Because I'm trying to examine you she replied

Re: An outsiders view... : Sat Apr 18, 2009 3:55 pm  
steve wrote:
I have no axe to grind here - but my view is that you can trace the start of your downfall with the return to Odsal. I know you won the GF in 2005 but that was on the back of saints being decimated with injury and Bradford "bringing" in Adrian Morely...

We did great in 2003 and 2004 too, don't take that away from us :lol:
RankPostsTeam
International Board Member14145No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 22 200122 yearsN/A
OnlineLast PostLast Page
16th Aug 20 18:2727th Oct 19 01:15LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: An outsiders view... : Sat Apr 18, 2009 5:12 pm  
steve wrote:

The Morley factor was not that significant, whatever others chose to believe. What was much more significant was that the players, bit after mid-season, had a good talk to each other and decided to knuckle down, put all the disruption behind the scenes behind them, and go for it. Interestingly, the likes of Pryce credited McNamara with being instrumental in the recovery...

steve wrote:
But consider the club has spent so much money trying to bring Odsal upto scratch and maintain the standards that the books have to balance somewhere and unfortunately for you its with player strength.

I don't think that's the reason. The club has slashed costs everywhere off the field, but I don't think the playing budget has been slashed. Indeed, we are told we are spending the cap - or are budgeted to anyway - so that can't be the reason. I have posted elsewhere why I suspect certain other teams are getting far more bang for their bucks; some of those reasons are currently being addressed by the good officers of HMRC, and there is anecdotal evidence that those investigations may have opened a can of worms over areas like offshore employee benefit trusts. I also wonder whether in the old days we were able to take advantage of certain devices and opportunities that are (for whatever reason) no longer available to us. But I speculate...,

steve wrote:
You had a perfectly good solution by ground sharing that would have helped both the sporting teams in Bradford - you were able to create more of an atmosphere and as a visiting supporters we were getting used to the ground!!!

"Getting used to"?? Give over! Visiting speccies were falling away in droves in the second season. Have you forgotten the regular vitriolic threads every week about the "fascist" stewards, about the poxy stand away fans were allocated, about the segregation, about the problems in getting a pint, about pretty well everything?

Yes, you could get a better atmosphere given the dynamics of the ground, and there were plusses and minuses. I was a big proponent of the "Back to Odsal" campaign as people around at the time will know. One of the main reasons was that financially the situation at VP (including the fact that what we were paying was based on much bigger crowds than we were getting, and we were very much the poor relation losing control over most of our own destiny) looked untenable. I understood that Geoffrey Richmond told Caisley pretty forcefully that we were bound to get bigger crowds than up at Odsal cos it was a far better stadium, and the financial arrangements were based on his assumptions - but that's anecdotal.

I didn't have a lot of sympathy with the "its too far to go" brigade - indeed, it was much more convenient for me than Odsal is.

I think what has most disappointed me since is that the financial situation surrounding the ground at Odsal has proved at least equally untenable. I've never been able to get to the bottom of just why that should be so, given the Club's strong desire to return there at the time, but you have to wonder about seriously inadequate due diligence maybe coupled with significantly over-optimistic budgeting (read Caisley's Chairman's Statement in the 2003 (I think it was ) accounts for a good indication of that - it was all the fans' fault for not turning up in ever-increasing numbers. I've got my own ideas, but not for on here, although (despite what some folk choose to believe) it looks like the council relieved themselves of a bigger obligation than maybe many realised . But either way, its clear the ground is costing far more than the club expected at the time of the return to Odsal.

steve wrote:
Whilst Mcnamara is not the greatest coach he's not got the greatest squad to work with either - I just think the price you have paid to go back is too high.

See above.
dixie 
RankPostsTeam
International Board Member2652
JoinedServiceReputation
Jul 17 200222 yearsN/A
OnlineLast PostLast Page
25th Oct 19 09:2711th Jun 17 16:22LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
Kiss me where the sun don't shine
The past was yours
But the future's mine
You're all out of time.

Re: An outsiders view... : Sat Apr 18, 2009 5:19 pm  
steve wrote:

Whilst Mcnamara is not the greatest coach he's not got the greatest squad to work with either - I just think the price you have paid to go back is too

It's not a squad that should be in 13th place though no matter what financial problems we have.
dixie 
RankPostsTeam
International Board Member2652
JoinedServiceReputation
Jul 17 200222 yearsN/A
OnlineLast PostLast Page
25th Oct 19 09:2711th Jun 17 16:22LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
Kiss me where the sun don't shine
The past was yours
But the future's mine
You're all out of time.

Re: An outsiders view... : Sat Apr 18, 2009 5:21 pm  
Adeybull wrote:
Interestingly, the likes of Pryce credited McNamara with being instrumental in the recovery...

Still Noble was the head coach and not McNarama.
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach280No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 27 200519 yearsN/A
OnlineLast PostLast Page
27th Oct 18 11:1716th Oct 18 17:47LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: An outsiders view... : Sat Apr 18, 2009 5:36 pm  
dixie wrote:

This is a fair point. Head Coach or Manager is a very different job with very different pressures to that of Assistant Coach. If Leon had credited another member of the management team, Martin Clawson for example, with being instrumental in the recovery then it would be far more obvious that this would have little bearing on his ability to go on to run the whole operation.

Sport is full of top quality coaches who never go on to Manage as coaching is what they are good at. It is entriely plausible, particularly gien the apparently unstinting support that he has from the players both on and off the record, that Macca is one of these.
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach9986No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 11 200519 yearsN/A
OnlineLast PostLast Page
3rd Nov 19 13:4416th Aug 19 16:42LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
(and I feel fine)

Re: An outsiders view... : Sat Apr 18, 2009 5:38 pm  
dixie wrote:

But there was lots of talk at the time that Macnamara was the one doing the actual coaching.
Or have I just made that up? :THINK:
RankPostsTeam
International Board Member14145No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 22 200122 yearsN/A
OnlineLast PostLast Page
16th Aug 20 18:2727th Oct 19 01:15LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: An outsiders view... : Sat Apr 18, 2009 5:47 pm  
dixie wrote:

And still Pryce credited Macca (as assistant) with much of what happened to pull the team around.

Make of that what you will.
Next