Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
OBN Wannabe

Re: Odsal Sporting Village : Fri Sep 02, 2011 12:59 pm  
Adeybull wrote:
Amazing what you can do with Photoshop... :WHISTLE:

;)

There's no proof that's Saints' new ground. It might say "Sainsburys" when it's finished.
RankPostsTeam
International Board Member11376
JoinedServiceReputation
Sep 26 200222 years167th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
10th May 24 08:323rd Apr 24 18:28LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Odsal Sporting Village : Fri Sep 02, 2011 1:01 pm  
Adeybull wrote:
Amazing what you can do with Photoshop... :WHISTLE:

;)

:D
RankPostsTeam
International Board Member14145No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 22 200122 yearsN/A
OnlineLast PostLast Page
16th Aug 20 18:2727th Oct 19 01:15LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Odsal Sporting Village : Fri Sep 02, 2011 1:04 pm  
Bulliac wrote:
the, previously mentioned, Thatcher government's decision to give that development area status to Leeds. This was hardly a carefully thought through measure in any sense - Leeds certainly wasn't in a worse position than Bradford, was it? The government, stung by accusations that it was letting the North rot, decided to throw money in a few, limited, directions but the scattergun missed Bradford.

Not sure it was a scattergun, mind - the Tories had Leeds in their sights for both parliamentary and local election seats in those days. So they reckoned that by providing all this central government largesse, bypassing the local authority, the grateful population would express their thanks through the ballot box.

:THINK: :USTUPID:

Which of course they did. Except they voted instead for the party that they THOUGHT had brought all the good things to Leeds! The Leeds council played a blinder, and continues to do so. Our muppetry of fekkwitted donkeys, by comparison...
RankPostsTeam
International Board Member17117No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 22 200122 years252nd
OnlineLast PostLast Page
10th May 24 17:0320th Apr 24 07:43LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
“At last, a real, Tory budget,” Daily Mail 24/9/22
"It may be that the honourable gentleman doesn't like mixing with his own side … but we on this side have a more convivial, fraternal spirit." Jacob Rees-Mogg 21/10/21

A member of the Guardian-reading, tofu-eating wokerati.

Re: Odsal Sporting Village : Fri Sep 02, 2011 1:18 pm  
Adeybull wrote:
I blame the flight by people out of the city to places with Leeds postcodes... :WHISTLE:

Unfortunatley I still pay my charitable donations.
Asim 
RankPostsTeam
International Board Member16239No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 19 200222 yearsN/A
OnlineLast PostLast Page
26th May 17 15:2119th Oct 12 22:32LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Odsal Sporting Village : Fri Sep 02, 2011 11:23 pm  
Bulliac wrote:
I think, Adey, you once pointed out Bradford's (maybe) unique ability to vote in councils from the opposite persuasion to the prevailing government, and it may well be this which is the biggest contributor to the city's position, rather than any particular shortcomings, of the council, both now and previously. That said, they haven't helped over much either, like the supine acceptance of the latest development area AGAIN going to Leeds.

It also doesn't help when our esteemed council leader also happens to have a nice little sideline on the board of the reprehensible "Leeds City Region" project.

I see the latest wheeze dreamed up by these people is a £1billion transport fund taking money out of the budgets of all the West Yorkshire councils - no doubt so we can all pay for our beloved neighbours tram network, which they desperately need because Manchester has one.
RankPostsTeam
International Board Member17117No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 22 200122 years252nd
OnlineLast PostLast Page
10th May 24 17:0320th Apr 24 07:43LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
“At last, a real, Tory budget,” Daily Mail 24/9/22
"It may be that the honourable gentleman doesn't like mixing with his own side … but we on this side have a more convivial, fraternal spirit." Jacob Rees-Mogg 21/10/21

A member of the Guardian-reading, tofu-eating wokerati.

Re: Odsal Sporting Village : Sat Sep 03, 2011 9:33 am  
Asim wrote:
It also doesn't help when our esteemed council leader also happens to have a nice little sideline on the board of the reprehensible "Leeds City Region" project.

I see the latest wheeze dreamed up by these people is a £1billion transport fund taking money out of the budgets of all the West Yorkshire councils - no doubt so we can all pay for our beloved neighbours tram network, which they desperately need because Manchester has one.

Leeds is Europe's largest city without a tram type network. I don't fully know how transport is funded locally but do know that the government decided all authorities had to bid for funding to the catchy titled local sustainable (no, really) transport fund. We contributed to it in Leeds. A lot of groups pooled their bids together. It was unsuccessful. So transport funding & planning in one of the largest metropolis in Europe is down to a lottery, with the uncertainty & huge cost in money & effort that entails.
RankPostsTeam
Moderator10969
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 01 200222 years297th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
21st Jan 23 15:1321st Jun 22 13:35LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
Mark Twain

Build Bridges NOT Walls

Re: Odsal Sporting Village : Sat Sep 03, 2011 10:18 am  
tigertot wrote:
Leeds is Europe's largest city without a tram type network. I don't fully know how transport is funded locally but do know that the government decided all authorities had to bid for funding to the catchy titled local sustainable (no, really) transport fund. We contributed to it in Leeds. A lot of groups pooled their bids together. It was unsuccessful. So transport funding & planning in one of the largest metropolis in Europe is down to a lottery, with the uncertainty & huge cost in money & effort that entails.

Bradford must be the largest city in the UK without mainline railway station; around 300K population and on a branch line, you really couldn't make it up.

I bet Leeds will get its trams before we are reinstated onto the main line. I can't imagine where their aping of Manchester will end though; Manc has trams so Leeds wants trams, Manc has an arena, so Leeds wants an arena, anything else they feel 'deprived' of, I wonder?
Asim 
RankPostsTeam
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 19 200222 yearsN/A
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Odsal Sporting Village : Sat Sep 03, 2011 10:44 am  
tigertot wrote:

I don't care if Leeds gets a tram network, I just object with money being taken from Bradford, Calderdale, Kirklees and Wakefield to pay for it - as is the fairly transparent plan (light rail being the first thing mentioned in that article, and on the internal LCC intranet article I saw). Maybe I'm being paranoid, but plenty of evidence suggests I'm not.

Bradford might have already reached the point of no return but, if it hasn't, I wish the powers that be would open their eyes and realise that their dream of one power in a "city region" magically benefiting the rest of the "region" isn't having much of an effect.
tigertot wrote:

I don't care if Leeds gets a tram network, I just object with money being taken from Bradford, Calderdale, Kirklees and Wakefield to pay for it - as is the fairly transparent plan (light rail being the first thing mentioned in that article, and on the internal LCC intranet article I saw). Maybe I'm being paranoid, but plenty of evidence suggests I'm not.

Bradford might have already reached the point of no return but, if it hasn't, I wish the powers that be would open their eyes and realise that their dream of one power in a "city region" magically benefiting the rest of the "region" isn't having much of an effect.
RankPostsTeam
Moderator10969
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 01 200222 years297th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
21st Jan 23 15:1321st Jun 22 13:35LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
Mark Twain

Build Bridges NOT Walls

Re: Odsal Sporting Village : Sat Sep 03, 2011 10:56 am  
Asim wrote:

This is the old 'trickle down effect' which has been pretty well debunked by history. Money given to the 'Leeds city region' will stay in Leeds; check out the latest 'development area' scam.

There was talk of Leeds extending the tramway into Bradford IIRC, which is all we need, something which makes it even easier to go and spend our cash in Leeds. The council are just dolts at times, they get duped by everything.
Asim wrote:

This is the old 'trickle down effect' which has been pretty well debunked by history. Money given to the 'Leeds city region' will stay in Leeds; check out the latest 'development area' scam.

There was talk of Leeds extending the tramway into Bradford IIRC, which is all we need, something which makes it even easier to go and spend our cash in Leeds. The council are just dolts at times, they get duped by everything.
Asim 
RankPostsTeam
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 19 200222 yearsN/A
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Odsal Sporting Village : Sat Sep 03, 2011 11:02 am  
Bulliac wrote:

It wouldn't surprise me, we'll become to Leeds what Oldham is to Manchester. They've lost their branch line rail stations to be replaced by a Metrolink extension which will not only lengthens the journey into Manchester as it is, but also isolates them from the main rail network and anywhere else.
PreviousNext