15th Apr 24 17:394th Apr 24 04:25LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Heart and mind at Headingley, body anywhere else in the world
Administrator

Re: Rate the last film you watched : Wed Apr 12, 2023 5:10 pm  
After Yang

I was recommended this by a friend, I´d not heard of it before his recommendation.

An under the radar (for me anyway), art house, low budget, delightful and thought provoking sci-fi revelation which has delightful cinematography, is brilliantly acted, and entertains the mind while moving at pedestrian pace on screen while sending your mind racing in many directions.

Set in the near future, a families Artificial Intelligence helper breaks down and attempts to repair it have unexpected consequences. The family experience grief and loss and try to seek some kind of closure.

Colin Farrell stars amongst a small cast in what is clearly a ´lockdown´ movie, but which doesn´t have most of the poor script and stilted scenes of what we have come to accept as a lockdown movie. Just enough Sci-fi to interest the geek in me but it´s less a story of the future and more a story of future relationships as well as being a study of loss and loyalty.

A delight if you want your mind to be stimulated.

8/10

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt8633464/?r ... r%2520yang
After Yang

I was recommended this by a friend, I´d not heard of it before his recommendation.

An under the radar (for me anyway), art house, low budget, delightful and thought provoking sci-fi revelation which has delightful cinematography, is brilliantly acted, and entertains the mind while moving at pedestrian pace on screen while sending your mind racing in many directions.

Set in the near future, a families Artificial Intelligence helper breaks down and attempts to repair it have unexpected consequences. The family experience grief and loss and try to seek some kind of closure.

Colin Farrell stars amongst a small cast in what is clearly a ´lockdown´ movie, but which doesn´t have most of the poor script and stilted scenes of what we have come to accept as a lockdown movie. Just enough Sci-fi to interest the geek in me but it´s less a story of the future and more a story of future relationships as well as being a study of loss and loyalty.

A delight if you want your mind to be stimulated.

8/10

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt8633464/?r ... r%2520yang
RankPostsTeam
Administrator8497
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 22 200122 years251st
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Administrator

Re: Rate the last film you watched : Tue Apr 18, 2023 5:51 pm  

I think I´ve rated every Adam Driver movie that I´ve ever seen. He has a real presence, a mystery, and enigma and he usually impresses. I´ve rated them all until this. Although it is sci-fi, and really a genre in which he excels, this was lacklustre and unbelievable and while I watched it until the end it was a bit of an effort.

Set 65 million years in the past our main character gets marooned on earth while travelling between galaxies after an unexpected meteor shower. He has to try and get off a dinosaur infested planet in danger of impeding meteor impact (we all know what happened then).

It´s a lockdown film with limited cast and they really should have spent more time developing the idea and the script and it could have been so watchable. Good special effects if you can suspend your disbelief.

5/10

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt12261776/? ... _nm_2_q_65

I think I´ve rated every Adam Driver movie that I´ve ever seen. He has a real presence, a mystery, and enigma and he usually impresses. I´ve rated them all until this. Although it is sci-fi, and really a genre in which he excels, this was lacklustre and unbelievable and while I watched it until the end it was a bit of an effort.

Set 65 million years in the past our main character gets marooned on earth while travelling between galaxies after an unexpected meteor shower. He has to try and get off a dinosaur infested planet in danger of impeding meteor impact (we all know what happened then).

It´s a lockdown film with limited cast and they really should have spent more time developing the idea and the script and it could have been so watchable. Good special effects if you can suspend your disbelief.

5/10

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt12261776/? ... _nm_2_q_65
RankPostsTeam
Administrator8497
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 22 200122 years251st
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Administrator

Re: Rate the last film you watched : Thu May 04, 2023 6:03 am  
Renfield

Walking the tightrope between garbage a genius, Nicolas Cage camps it up to the max as Dracula in this gorefest comedy which brings the legend to modern day USA through the eyes of Dracula´s long suffering man servant Renfield.

Crazy fight sequences, including one hundred bizarre ways to die, are the main tenet of this shortish seemingly low budget encounter but what I liked most were the knowing nods to the long established lore of Dracula, most made in a terrific comedic manner.

It is absolutely kitsch, from the opening sequence to the final showdown, but I enjoyed the ride and great performances from the main actors; Nicholas Hoult, Nicolas Cage, Awkwafina and Ben Schwartz.

It´s never going to get a mention at the Oscars, but it´s a good wheeze.

7/10

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt11358390/? ... m_5_q_renf
Renfield

Walking the tightrope between garbage a genius, Nicolas Cage camps it up to the max as Dracula in this gorefest comedy which brings the legend to modern day USA through the eyes of Dracula´s long suffering man servant Renfield.

Crazy fight sequences, including one hundred bizarre ways to die, are the main tenet of this shortish seemingly low budget encounter but what I liked most were the knowing nods to the long established lore of Dracula, most made in a terrific comedic manner.

It is absolutely kitsch, from the opening sequence to the final showdown, but I enjoyed the ride and great performances from the main actors; Nicholas Hoult, Nicolas Cage, Awkwafina and Ben Schwartz.

It´s never going to get a mention at the Oscars, but it´s a good wheeze.

7/10

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt11358390/? ... m_5_q_renf
RankPostsTeam
Administrator8497
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 22 200122 years251st
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Administrator

Re: Rate the last film you watched : Thu May 04, 2023 5:13 pm  
The Pope´s Exorcist

Horror is certainly not my genre but I was pulled in by the promise of Russell Crowe riding a Vespa and to be honest I enjoyed it, despite Hollywood´s current penchant for gratuitous gore.

The characters are well built the story holds together nicely and runs at some pace (a few glaring errors like Crowes figure riding over 2,000km on a Vespa between locations) with decent enough acting and some quite sinister moments which will have you reaching for the cushions.

Based on true stories (supposedly) or at least a true exorcist (a position of The Pope´s Exorcist which existed in the Vatican until very recent times) but totally incredible. If you can get past the opening scene then you should enjoy it.

The Exorcist for 2023?

8/10

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt13375076/? ... %2520popes
The Pope´s Exorcist

Horror is certainly not my genre but I was pulled in by the promise of Russell Crowe riding a Vespa and to be honest I enjoyed it, despite Hollywood´s current penchant for gratuitous gore.

The characters are well built the story holds together nicely and runs at some pace (a few glaring errors like Crowes figure riding over 2,000km on a Vespa between locations) with decent enough acting and some quite sinister moments which will have you reaching for the cushions.

Based on true stories (supposedly) or at least a true exorcist (a position of The Pope´s Exorcist which existed in the Vatican until very recent times) but totally incredible. If you can get past the opening scene then you should enjoy it.

The Exorcist for 2023?

8/10

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt13375076/? ... %2520popes
RankPostsTeam
Administrator8497
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 22 200122 years251st
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Administrator

Re: Rate the last film you watched : Wed May 17, 2023 4:48 pm  
Dead Shot (Also known as Borderland)

I watched this because Mark Strong is rarely in a bad film, and despite this getting panned by the critics, it´s not a bad little low budget offering.

Set in IRA Ireland and then Britain of the 1970´s it follows a typical revenge format but is nicely acted, reasonably scripted, and pretty decently set dressed with plenty of great cars and music of the time to wonder at. There are a couple of nice twists, but none which will really shock you.

The main actors are all fully believable in their roles and while there is plenty of violence it is not on recent Hollywood levels.

An enjoyable and shortish film.

7/10

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt8019518/?r ... d%2520shot
Dead Shot (Also known as Borderland)

I watched this because Mark Strong is rarely in a bad film, and despite this getting panned by the critics, it´s not a bad little low budget offering.

Set in IRA Ireland and then Britain of the 1970´s it follows a typical revenge format but is nicely acted, reasonably scripted, and pretty decently set dressed with plenty of great cars and music of the time to wonder at. There are a couple of nice twists, but none which will really shock you.

The main actors are all fully believable in their roles and while there is plenty of violence it is not on recent Hollywood levels.

An enjoyable and shortish film.

7/10

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt8019518/?r ... d%2520shot
RankPostsTeam
Administrator8497
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 22 200122 years251st
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Administrator

Re: Rate the last film you watched : Mon May 22, 2023 5:50 am  
Air

The premise of a two hour film about how Nike secured their groundbreaking relationship with basketball superstar Michael Jordan doesn´t really inspire one to dedicate the time and would probably make you pass on by to something with a bit more promise. But throw Matt Damon, Ben Affleck, Jason Bateman and Viola Davies into the pot and mix with a deliciously written script and attention to mid 1980´s detail and what you have is a delightful film which is filled with laughs.

Matt Damon plays the agent for Nike, who goes against the norm to put together a deal to entice Jordan away from the two leading brands at the time, Converse and Adidas, and make the seemingly impossible happen (hopefully not a spoiler).

It is beautifully acted with a funky eighties soundtrack and some of the best expletive rich dialogues that I can remember since ´Glengarry, Glen Ross´.

A delight.

8/10

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt16419074/? ... _nm_4_q_ai
Air

The premise of a two hour film about how Nike secured their groundbreaking relationship with basketball superstar Michael Jordan doesn´t really inspire one to dedicate the time and would probably make you pass on by to something with a bit more promise. But throw Matt Damon, Ben Affleck, Jason Bateman and Viola Davies into the pot and mix with a deliciously written script and attention to mid 1980´s detail and what you have is a delightful film which is filled with laughs.

Matt Damon plays the agent for Nike, who goes against the norm to put together a deal to entice Jordan away from the two leading brands at the time, Converse and Adidas, and make the seemingly impossible happen (hopefully not a spoiler).

It is beautifully acted with a funky eighties soundtrack and some of the best expletive rich dialogues that I can remember since ´Glengarry, Glen Ross´.

A delight.

8/10

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt16419074/? ... _nm_4_q_ai
RankPostsTeam
Administrator8497
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 22 200122 years251st
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Administrator

Re: Rate the last film you watched : Wed May 24, 2023 8:44 am  
Dungeons & Dragons: Honor Amongst Thieves

A slightly overlong fantasy epic starring Chris Pine and Michelle Rodriguez which gives nothing new in terms of the genre but does deliver some nice moments and has a decent amount of comedy to show that it is played for laughs and not taking itself too seriously.

It´s about a petty thief's attempt to get back his daughter after getting caught and imprisoned in a medieval heist. The cinematography and CGI are great and there is a brilliant scene in a graveyard which while predictable, still raised an audible laugh.

Hugh Grant camps it up, in the way that only Hugh Grant can. It was nice enough but just felt a bit superficial. Run of the mill.

7/10

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt2906216/?r ... _q_dungeon
Dungeons & Dragons: Honor Amongst Thieves

A slightly overlong fantasy epic starring Chris Pine and Michelle Rodriguez which gives nothing new in terms of the genre but does deliver some nice moments and has a decent amount of comedy to show that it is played for laughs and not taking itself too seriously.

It´s about a petty thief's attempt to get back his daughter after getting caught and imprisoned in a medieval heist. The cinematography and CGI are great and there is a brilliant scene in a graveyard which while predictable, still raised an audible laugh.

Hugh Grant camps it up, in the way that only Hugh Grant can. It was nice enough but just felt a bit superficial. Run of the mill.

7/10

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt2906216/?r ... _q_dungeon
RankPostsTeam
Administrator8497
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 22 200122 years251st
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Administrator

Re: Rate the last film you watched : Wed May 24, 2023 8:52 am  
Guy Richie´s The Covenant

Another shoot-em-up in the best Hollywood style with plenty of gore and a massive body count as you would probably expect from Guy Richie as he takes on an Afghanistan war and aftermath story.

A tale of an American sergeant (Jake Gyllenhaal) and his interpreter (Dar Salim) and their relationship both during operations and after. Follows a similar format to the fantastic ´The Killing Fields´ with a long set-up and a well delivered, pulling at the heartstrings, second act.

Gyllenhaal is rapidly becoming one of the best film actors and he is fantastic in this role, as is his co-actor and it would be difficult to decide who should have headline billing.

If you can see past the blood and gore then you will enjoy this, never a dull moment, full of twists and turns. Definitely worth watching.

8/10

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt4873118/?r ... es%2520the
Guy Richie´s The Covenant

Another shoot-em-up in the best Hollywood style with plenty of gore and a massive body count as you would probably expect from Guy Richie as he takes on an Afghanistan war and aftermath story.

A tale of an American sergeant (Jake Gyllenhaal) and his interpreter (Dar Salim) and their relationship both during operations and after. Follows a similar format to the fantastic ´The Killing Fields´ with a long set-up and a well delivered, pulling at the heartstrings, second act.

Gyllenhaal is rapidly becoming one of the best film actors and he is fantastic in this role, as is his co-actor and it would be difficult to decide who should have headline billing.

If you can see past the blood and gore then you will enjoy this, never a dull moment, full of twists and turns. Definitely worth watching.

8/10

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt4873118/?r ... es%2520the
RankPostsTeam
Administrator8497
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 22 200122 years251st
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Administrator

Re: Rate the last film you watched : Wed May 24, 2023 6:03 pm  
Old Henry

I love a good western, and this is a good western. It had slipped under my radar and I was only alerted to it by a Facebook post which suggested that it was an undiscovered and unrecognised potential classic. That might push it a bit far but it kept me interested, was tense, brilliantly acted and a nice twist which I´d not seen coming (but then why should I have).

It had a lockdown feel, small cast, limited locations but wasn´t any the worse for it.

A farmsteader stumbles across an injured man and a satchel of cash and agrees to help him but there is a posse hot on his trail. A little formulaic but uncomfortable in it´s delivery.

8/10
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt12731980/? ... %2520henry
Old Henry

I love a good western, and this is a good western. It had slipped under my radar and I was only alerted to it by a Facebook post which suggested that it was an undiscovered and unrecognised potential classic. That might push it a bit far but it kept me interested, was tense, brilliantly acted and a nice twist which I´d not seen coming (but then why should I have).

It had a lockdown feel, small cast, limited locations but wasn´t any the worse for it.

A farmsteader stumbles across an injured man and a satchel of cash and agrees to help him but there is a posse hot on his trail. A little formulaic but uncomfortable in it´s delivery.

8/10
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt12731980/? ... %2520henry
RankPostsTeam
Administrator8497
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 22 200122 years251st
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Administrator

Re: Rate the last film you watched : Wed Jun 07, 2023 9:18 am  
Reality

I´ve started three films over recent days and not made it more than half an hour into them, so it was a refreshing change to give Reality a spin after a recommendation from another film watching friend. It is based on the true story of Reality Winner who was investigated for breaching her security clearance by supplying information about Russian interference in the 2016 Presidential elections to the media.

It is brilliantly filmed and portrays a very claustrophobic atmosphere which keeps you on the edge of your seat through its short eighty minutes duration. Mostly unknown actors are convincing in their roles, particularly Sydney Sweeney as the lead and the ´fly on the wall´style of presentation adds to the drama.

Well worth seeking out.

7/10
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt24068064/? ... nm_3_q_rea
Reality

I´ve started three films over recent days and not made it more than half an hour into them, so it was a refreshing change to give Reality a spin after a recommendation from another film watching friend. It is based on the true story of Reality Winner who was investigated for breaching her security clearance by supplying information about Russian interference in the 2016 Presidential elections to the media.

It is brilliantly filmed and portrays a very claustrophobic atmosphere which keeps you on the edge of your seat through its short eighty minutes duration. Mostly unknown actors are convincing in their roles, particularly Sydney Sweeney as the lead and the ´fly on the wall´style of presentation adds to the drama.

Well worth seeking out.

7/10
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt24068064/? ... nm_3_q_rea
PreviousNext