OnlineLast PostLast Page
3rd May 24 18:273rd May 24 20:57LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Smith out ASAP : Sun Apr 21, 2024 8:27 am  
FlexWheeler wrote:
We’re 8th.

Bar Leigh, a semi-competent team, the only teams below us are all train wrecks.

A quality coach can do something with this team. Things fall into place very quickly when you have a quality coach, we just don’t appoint them anymore. It doesn’t have to be an xx year transition. People are obsessed with that for some reason. In 96 we nearly got relegated, but in 98 we competed at the top and made the grand final. We just made good recruitment decisions and appointed a top quality coach.

Watson and Rowley have all been gettable in the last 5 years and would all be doing better with this squad than the current “coach”.

We are just rotting in mediocrity right now. People talking about having seen worse teams like it’s some badge of honour. Just because the club has been a mess in yesteryear doesn’t mean standards should be dropped.

Where is the ruthless drive for a success? Remember Hetherington at the turn of the century? Setting targets for success and dishing out the medicine when it wasn’t achieved.

The club is dead on the field.

:BOW: terrific post. Agree fully
Bang 
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach9870No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Sep 27 200618 years215th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
3rd May 24 04:1022nd Apr 24 08:57LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
YEAH LIKE WHATEVER!
TEAM UP! TEAM UP!

Re: Smith out ASAP : Sun Apr 21, 2024 9:17 am  
We're also 4pts off first aren't we?

We win the next two games, season looks much better
RankPostsTeam
Club Owner23970
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 19 200419 years19th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
3rd May 24 13:393rd May 24 18:53LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
in bed between halle berry and jennifer aniston

Re: Smith out ASAP : Sun Apr 21, 2024 9:25 am  
table does because London and Hull are crap.
in reality it's not
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach3231No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Nov 01 200618 years178th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
1st May 24 19:4127th Apr 24 10:05LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Smith out ASAP : Sun Apr 21, 2024 9:42 am  
FlexWheeler wrote:
We’re 8th.

A quality coach can do something with this team. Things fall into place very quickly when you have a quality coach, we just don’t appoint them anymore. It doesn’t have to be an xx year transition. People are obsessed with that for some reason. In 96 we nearly got relegated, but in 98 we competed at the top and made the grand final. We just made good recruitment decisions and appointed a top quality coach.

Watson and Rowley have all been gettable in the last 5 years and would all be doing better with this squad than the current “coach”.

We are just rotting in mediocrity right now. People talking about having seen worse teams like it’s some badge of honour. Just because the club has been a mess in yesteryear doesn’t mean standards should be dropped.

Where is the ruthless drive for a success? Remember Hetherington at the turn of the century? Setting targets for success and dishing out the medicine when it wasn’t achieved.

Nail on head :CLAP: :CLAP: :CLAP:
RankPostsTeam
International Board Member503
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 04 200222 yearsN/A
OnlineLast PostLast Page
28th Apr 24 10:2621st Apr 24 10:41LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Smith out ASAP : Sun Apr 21, 2024 10:41 am  
FlexWheeler wrote:
We’re 8th.

This
RankPostsTeam
International Board Member9305
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 26 200222 years17th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
3rd May 24 16:173rd May 24 19:54LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
It's not how much talent you've got, it's what you do with it that counts.

Re: Smith out ASAP : Sun Apr 21, 2024 10:47 am  
There’s only one way that GH will
actually do something about this, if the supporters make it absolutely clear that the coaching of the team is not good enough. This is already started, the North Stand under the coaching booth were very vocal on Friday, but it’s only when it’s coming from all quarters that GH can’t ignore it.

We’re going nowhere under this bloke he needs to be replaced with a proper coach.
RankPostsTeam
Club Captain354No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 04 20195 years201st
OnlineLast PostLast Page
3rd May 24 09:0629th Apr 24 15:05LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Smith out ASAP : Sun Apr 21, 2024 11:53 am  
Last year, I backed that smith was doing a really tough job, because he had been tasked with getting rid of the deadwood in the squad or toxic characters, and so the season was a right off.

Now Sezer is doing a half decent job back in the NRL, and we’ve spent £150k transfer fee basically bringing in a hooker who was no better than Leeming, who is now at the side favourites to win the league (I’m not saying Leeming is all that btw).

I do like some of the stuff Smith has done around the club, and he clearly thinks differently about the game and has some unique perspectives.

Ultimately, his downfall will be his rigid beliefs in the way only he thinks the game should be played, and his unique insight on players he signed. McDonell aside are bang average. JJB’s comments on sky were illuminating and Blake Austin’s on social media too.

Time to move on with loads of the season left to improve with a good squad.

Throw some money at Justin Holbrook or another proved coach who know the comp! Come on GH!
RankPostsTeam
Club Captain4340
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 18 20186 years24th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
3rd May 24 18:013rd May 24 19:49LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Smith out ASAP : Sun Apr 21, 2024 11:57 am  
So you want the same man who appointed the previous 4 coaches who didn't work out, to appoint another one? Genius.

I'm not saying RS is the man for the job at Leeds right now, I have been scratching my head at times at some of his in-game decisions. I think the whole "passive defence" bandwagon has been overblown - that's not why we lost against Wire or against Hudds in my opinion (although we are losing the ruck too often in D and attack).

Was interesting watching the two teams warm up on Friday. We do some stuff running through pads and passing on the other side. Hudds were all practising passing from the floor, skill work, and then rucks. They practiced putting the attacker on their back, and then twisting out and finding the floor when in possession.

Now I'm sure all sides practice similar drills, but we definitely lost the ruck too much and I think we do generally. This is an area where big Mik could improve for example, he constantly gets turtled and then his PTB is painfully slow.
RankPostsTeam
Club Captain4340
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 18 20186 years24th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
3rd May 24 18:013rd May 24 19:49LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Smith out ASAP : Sun Apr 21, 2024 12:04 pm  
That comment wasn't particularly aimed at you Exiled, your post popped up before I'd posted mine.

Just on average players though, we have brought some decent players in under Smith in truth. No enough, and not always in the right positions, but some decent ones. McDonnell had a really good game first half against Hudds and was cleaning everything up, then when he switched to centre got done for footwork and pace a couple of times by a decent opposition centre. Thought Roberts had a really solid game too (he's only 20!!) until bad dropped ball right at the end there.

Dunno like I keep saying, we look 2-3 star signings short of a reliably competitive side still, but fixing up the mess from last year was likely always going to take a couple of years. IF (and it is a big if), we can get those 2-3 signings in who are good enough and in key areas, and IF some of our younger / project players can show progression over the next 8 months, I still think we'll be there or thereabouts next season.

I've not watched the Hudds game back yet but we did lose our first choice right hand side after about 20 mins in practice, with no backs on the bench. There was some mitigation for the loss; but I still think certain players need to improve.
RankPostsTeam
First Team Player1026No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 15 20212 years39th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
2nd May 24 23:362nd May 24 12:42LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Smith out ASAP : Sun Apr 21, 2024 12:06 pm  
Flex - you're spot on. Right now there are three teams better than us, which we know because they've beaten us at home. Wigan almost certainly are some way ahead as they are possibly the best team in the comp. So on form we're fifth at best. We look like losing games against any team who is in form, and the way we play risks playing poorer teams into form. Until reality bit about two thirds of the way through last season it was all near misses and coulda shoulda won, until it was too late.

That's why I'm with exiled - I thought Smith was given an unfair ride last year because of the really awful mess he was trying to clean up. Sadly though we look no better, and taking into account the money spent we are playing much worse.

Its time to stop talking about rebuilding. We're not even dreaming Wire style of this being 'our year', but some unknown future year. I'm all for having a plan and sticking to it, but not when it seems to be going so shambolically on the field where it counts. At some stage you have to admit something's not working and make a change.

GH isn't going anywhere, so yes kaeru, its up to him to make the change. Also you say that the passive defence is overblown then go into detail about why we're losing collisions and position. Its all basic stuff, and you cannot win the majority of games when you're badly losing the territory battle, regardless of the cause. If the coach isn't responsible for that who is?
PreviousNext