Aug 29 201410 years262nd
OnlineLast PostLast Page
5th Dec 22 07:4723rd Nov 22 08:27LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: 2022 | RL World Cup : Sun Nov 13, 2022 4:00 pm  
krisleeds wrote:
Welsby is a flat track bully. I'd have Myler before him every day.

The new Leon Pryce - World Hide and Seek Champion.

Welsby was terrible. Jackson Hastings wanted to play for England, the fact Wane refused to pick him and went with Welsby at stand off should cost Wane the England job. If you play Hastings in place of Welsby England would be in the World Cup Final.
RankPostsTeam
Club Captain1902
JoinedServiceReputation
Jul 04 20159 years85th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
15th Apr 24 22:3214th Apr 24 17:10LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
"Blasphemy is a victimless crime"

Re: 2022 | RL World Cup : Sun Nov 13, 2022 4:11 pm  
I think the criticism of Welsby is abit harsh.
Out of position and first international game against opposition that didn't just self Implode.

Wane made some bad calls on the teams and "tactics" for sure but the batshit plays in golden point were pure panic from those players.
The one from Whitehead,given his experience was horrible.

We need more international games against teams like Aus,NZ,Samoa. We need higher intensity games in SL either via less teams and better cap system or some other medium.
We also need the RFL to get games reffed like internationals and not a replay of the poor bans this year.

We have some great young players,we need to start building around them,not using players who are too old.

Samoa did fantastic though. Yellow card and lost two to HIA. Worked hard for each other and targeted our players weaknesses
RankPostsTeam
Club Captain75
JoinedServiceReputation
Sep 09 20168 years295th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
11th Apr 24 12:505th Apr 24 22:16LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: 2022 | RL World Cup : Sun Nov 13, 2022 4:29 pm  
I think there were some dubious team selections.. It seemed to be a typical SW team.. try and bully the opposition, then capitalise on mistakes. Having MM at hooker was a mistake as he gives zero go forward unlike a Roby type player would.. Tomkins as full back i don;t think was the right choice. Pretty average. We just came up with dumb plays. Probably having 3 easy pook games pkus an easy(ish) quarter final did us no favours. It was difficult to see where the team actually was in regards to performance levels.. In the semi, the lack of ball that went through hands was shocking and the wingers were starved of ball. Not sure how KW didn;t manage to ground the ball. Maybe just a great defensive play. Small margins at the end of the day. We had chances, just failed to excute them well enough.
RankPostsTeam
International Star5484
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 03 20177 years54th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
15th Apr 24 20:5015th Apr 24 20:48LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: 2022 | RL World Cup : Sun Nov 13, 2022 9:52 pm  
Emagdnim13 wrote:
I think the criticism of Welsby is abit harsh.
Out of position and first international game against opposition that didn't just self Implode.

Wane made some bad calls on the teams and "tactics" for sure but the batshit plays in golden point were pure panic from those players.
The one from Whitehead,given his experience was horrible.

We need more international games against teams like Aus,NZ,Samoa. We need higher intensity games in SL either via less teams and better cap system or some other medium.
We also need the RFL to get games reffed like internationals and not a replay of the poor bans this year.

We have some great young players,we need to start building around them,not using players who are too old.

Samoa did fantastic though. Yellow card and lost two to HIA. Worked hard for each other and targeted our players weaknesses

Absolutely spot on.
Seth 
RankPostsTeam
Club Coach6512No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 16 200420 years6th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
16th Apr 24 08:1614th Apr 24 08:54LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: 2022 | RL World Cup : Sun Nov 13, 2022 9:58 pm  
The batshit plays come from a coach who doesn't reflect composure hence the players not dealing with pressure either.
RankPostsTeam
Moderator31573
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 22 200122 years78th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
16th Apr 24 06:5415th Apr 24 15:31LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
"If you start listening to the fans it won't be long before you're sitting with them," - Wayne Bennett.

Re: 2022 | RL World Cup : Mon Nov 14, 2022 10:45 am  
Some pretty knee jerk reactions on here and some spot on reactions too. We paid for some lapses in concentration and some unforced errors. We lost in golden point extra time so it wasn't as if England were outclassed so perhaps a bit of perspective is needed?

Some selections were down to the fact that there was nobody else available. McIlorum would be nowhere near the side if Roby was still available. If Hodgson was fit he'd probably be in front of him too. Watkins had an absolute mare but would he be in the side if Newman had been fit? Would Hill have been in if Walmsley was fit? On Hill I thought he had a decent world cup and was better than Oledzki who will improve I'm sure.

Welsby is only young and going to be a top player. I think his on field persona can rile non Saints fans but as a neutral he gets in my England 13 every day of the week.
Seth 
RankPostsTeam
Club Coach6512No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 16 200420 years6th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
16th Apr 24 08:1614th Apr 24 08:54LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: 2022 | RL World Cup : Mon Nov 14, 2022 11:59 am  
I think the perspective/context may be a bit clearer next week Sam when Aus (in my opinion) will blow that samoa side off the park and we'll see just how far off we are (still). Fair enough if they were outstanding, but they weren't, and we were poor.
RankPostsTeam
International Board Member6812
JoinedServiceReputation
Aug 02 200222 years45th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
15th Apr 24 16:5415th Apr 24 15:17LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: 2022 | RL World Cup : Mon Nov 14, 2022 1:37 pm  
Bullseye wrote:
Some pretty knee jerk reactions on here and some spot on reactions too. We paid for some lapses in concentration and some unforced errors. We lost in golden point extra time so it wasn't as if England were outclassed so perhaps a bit of perspective is needed?

Some selections were down to the fact that there was nobody else available. McIlorum would be nowhere near the side if Roby was still available. If Hodgson was fit he'd probably be in front of him too. Watkins had an absolute mare but would he be in the side if Newman had been fit? Would Hill have been in if Walmsley was fit? On Hill I thought he had a decent world cup and was better than Oledzki who will improve I'm sure.

Welsby is only young and going to be a top player. I think his on field persona can rile non Saints fans but as a neutral he gets in my England 13 every day of the week.

Agree with a lot of that you`ve said.
Wrt Welsby I would have him in my starting 13 but at FB in place of Tomkins and possibly Sneyd alongside Williams in the halves which is harsh om Tomkins I know.
Hill I disagreed with at the start but has been decent. Cooper for me was always the wrong selection.
Other than that not many other players would have got in that were available.
RankPostsTeam
International Board Member0
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 05 200122 years271st
OnlineLast PostLast Page
5th Oct 12 11:541st Jan 70 00:00LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
RLFANS.COM news items are posted in forums where it is thought that they will be of interest to the readership, all comments made below will also be available for viewing through the front page.

Australia Power Into Womens Final : Mon Nov 14, 2022 7:02 pm  

Australia Power Into Womens Final

It was a Down Under derby at York's LNER Stadium as the women's World Cup semi-finals got underway  this evening: Australia's Jilleroos taking on the Papua New Guinea Orchids.
Australian captain Ali Brigginshaw warned her team not to underestimate the opposition, many of whom play in the NRLW as they run out for the first time in a World Cup semi. The Jilleroos, on the other hand, have their sights on lifting the Cup for the third time in a row at Old Trafford next week.
A win – and a trip to Manchester – for the Orchids would continue a history-making series: their first ever World Cup win came in the opening round of this tournament, when they beat Canada's Ravens.
READ MORE ON THIS STORY...

Australia Power Into Womens Final

It was a Down Under derby at York's LNER Stadium as the women's World Cup semi-finals got underway  this evening: Australia's Jilleroos taking on the Papua New Guinea Orchids.
Australian captain Ali Brigginshaw warned her team not to underestimate the opposition, many of whom play in the NRLW as they run out for the first time in a World Cup semi. The Jilleroos, on the other hand, have their sights on lifting the Cup for the third time in a row at Old Trafford next week.
A win – and a trip to Manchester – for the Orchids would continue a history-making series: their first ever World Cup win came in the opening round of this tournament, when they beat Canada's Ravens.
RankPostsTeam
International Board Member0
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 05 200122 years271st
OnlineLast PostLast Page
5th Oct 12 11:541st Jan 70 00:00LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
RLFANS.COM news items are posted in forums where it is thought that they will be of interest to the readership, all comments made below will also be available for viewing through the front page.

New Zealand Ferns Final Bound As English Hearts Are Broken Again

With an Old Trafford World Cup Final against Australia awaiting the winners of tonight's game between England and New Zealand, both sides came into the match knowing that as well as getting the win they needed to send a clear message to the Jillaroos that they would be in for a competitive competition finale.

England had been installed as slight favourites by the bookies as they were handicapped by two points on the coupon, but there was very little to choose between the sides ranked second and third in the world.

A nation hoped that the women could go one better than the men, who exited their competition at the same stage on Saturday, and reach their first ever World Cup Final.

New Zealand Ferns Final Bound As English Hearts Are Broken Again

With an Old Trafford World Cup Final against Australia awaiting the winners of tonight's game between England and New Zealand, both sides came into the match knowing that as well as getting the win they needed to send a clear message to the Jillaroos that they would be in for a competitive competition finale.

England had been installed as slight favourites by the bookies as they were handicapped by two points on the coupon, but there was very little to choose between the sides ranked second and third in the world.

A nation hoped that the women could go one better than the men, who exited their competition at the same stage on Saturday, and reach their first ever World Cup Final.

PreviousNext