JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 26 200618 years62nd
OnlineLast PostLast Page
10th Mar 23 22:1119th Feb 23 21:41LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
"Brian McDermott, with a wry smile, nods when asked if he remembers a specific incident which made him realise he was a prick. 'I do', he murmurs."

Re: Redvee : Wed May 05, 2021 12:15 pm  
Shabino wrote:
You need to open your eyes bit more Ghost......

I think simplistic rants are not particularly helpful. The world is a complicated place and running Rugby League, an almost unique regional sport, is anything but easy. The RFL and especially the clubs make lots of mistakes. But some of the stuff the ranters berate them for are laughable and betray a complete misunderstanding of Rugby League, sports financing and sports administration. When you get a laundry list like that it's impossible to take these people seriously. Of course it's easy to agree with them because it's always easy to blame the folk in charge; but the absence of any solutions or even constructive suggestions makes it little more than a waste of time.
RankPostsTeam
Club Captain3082No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 06 20177 years68th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
28th Mar 24 13:2825th Mar 24 09:19LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Redvee : Wed May 05, 2021 2:03 pm  
The Ghost of '99 wrote:
I think simplistic rants are not particularly helpful. The world is a complicated place and running Rugby League, an almost unique regional sport, is anything but easy. The RFL and especially the clubs make lots of mistakes. But some of the stuff the ranters berate them for are laughable and betray a complete misunderstanding of Rugby League, sports financing and sports administration. When you get a laundry list like that it's impossible to take these people seriously. Of course it's easy to agree with them because it's always easy to blame the folk in charge; but the absence of any solutions or even constructive suggestions makes it little more than a waste of time.

If you read the thread again it's not just about blaming RFL. Far more complex than that and they acknowledge and analyse that.......
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach3092No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 26 200618 years62nd
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
"Brian McDermott, with a wry smile, nods when asked if he remembers a specific incident which made him realise he was a prick. 'I do', he murmurs."

Re: Redvee : Wed May 05, 2021 2:13 pm  
Shabino wrote:
If you read the thread again it's not just about blaming RFL. Far more complex than that and they acknowledge and analyse that.......

I've read it end to end thanks. I've read enough about "Yorkshire Mafia"s to last a lifetime.
RankPostsTeam
Club Captain3082No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 06 20177 years68th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Redvee : Wed May 05, 2021 2:23 pm  
The Ghost of '99 wrote:
I've read it end to end thanks. I've read enough about "Yorkshire Mafia"s to last a lifetime.

Yeah that's one person's comments and your jumping on that....
Why did you waste your time reading it if you already had your preformed opinion on it?
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach3092No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 26 200618 years62nd
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature

Re: Redvee : Wed May 05, 2021 2:33 pm  
Shabino wrote:
Yeah that's one person's comments and your jumping on that....
Why did you waste your time reading it if you already had your preformed opinion on it?

I read it long before you posted it on here.
RankPostsTeam
Club Captain3082No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 06 20177 years68th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Redvee : Wed May 05, 2021 2:45 pm  
The Ghost of '99 wrote:
I read it long before you posted it on here.

I don't doubt that. I'd love to hear your take on things though if you think that's just ranting.....
Genuinely would...!
RankPostsTeam
Fringe Player957No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 11 20203 years155th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
26th Mar 24 12:3326th Mar 24 12:33LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Redvee : Wed May 05, 2021 4:08 pm  
I think it is an interesting read - lots I don't agree with some I do.

SL was a good competition until the NRL got a mega TV deal and the additional monies had a two very negative impacts - SL couldn't attract top players from the NRL such as Gidley, Buderus, Ali, Barrett etc and the Aussies could afford our top players - Burgess, Whitehead etc. The competition becomes a hollow shell of what it was and so the downward spiral starts.

The NRL has far better athletes with greater fitness, skill sets and discipline on the field - its on a different planet to SL

Add to that GH's man Nigel who was completely the wrong person to be running the sport - far too small minded - appeared to be more interested in protecting a club where 500 people go and watch than how do you push the game forward.

We have some fantastic youngers in this country - sadly but understandably coaches are reluctant to give them a go for fear of losing their job. Smith at Hull KR seems to have got the message. We needed to promote this home grown talent and we would have had a far more interesting comp. than the one filled with very average NRL players that cannot get a gig down under

Clubs - have much to answer too - far too much self interest and no coherent strategy as to where the game was going - employ a figure head and give him carte blanche to take the comp. forward.

Revenues will continue to dwindle if the current status quo is maintained - why should SL clubs continue to support lazy championship clubs who don't need to make an effort - 36 professional clubs is not sustainable.

Coaching is stagnant - as is conditioning - either players are bone idol and don't need to make the effort to stay fit - Martin at Leeds, Lui at Leeds etc. Players need to look in the mirror and accept their share of the blame for the demise in standards. How often do you see players cheating - not getting back, lying-on in the tackle, claiming tries they know they haven't scored etc.

The game needs a wake up call in all areas or it will be a part time sport in 3/5 years
RankPostsTeam
Club Captain3082No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 06 20177 years68th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Redvee : Wed May 05, 2021 4:12 pm  
Zoo Zoo Boom wrote:

SL was a good competition until the NRL got a mega TV deal and the additional monies had a two very negative impacts - SL couldn't attract top players from the NRL such as Gidley, Buderus, Ali, Barrett etc and the Aussies could afford our top players - Burgess, Whitehead etc. The competition becomes a hollow shell of what it was and so the downward spiral starts.

The NRL has far better athletes with greater fitness, skill sets and discipline on the field - its on a different planet to SL

Add to that GH's man Nigel who was completely the wrong person to be running the sport - far too small minded - appeared to be more interested in protecting a club where 500 people go and watch than how do you push the game forward.

We have some fantastic youngers in this country - sadly but understandably coaches are reluctant to give them a go for fear of losing their job. Smith at Hull KR seems to have got the message. We needed to promote this home grown talent and we would have had a far more interesting comp. than the one filled with very average NRL players that cannot get a gig down under

Clubs - have much to answer too - far too much self interest and no coherent strategy as to where the game was going - employ a figure head and give him carte blanche to take the comp. forward.

Revenues will continue to dwindle if the current status quo is maintained - why should SL clubs continue to support lazy championship clubs who don't need to make an effort - 36 professional clubs is not sustainable.

Coaching is stagnant - as is conditioning - either players are bone idol and don't need to make the effort to stay fit - Martin at Leeds, Lui at Leeds etc. Players need to look in the mirror and accept their share of the blame for the demise in standards. How often do you see players cheating - not getting back, lying-on in the tackle, claiming tries they know they haven't scored etc.

The game needs a wake up call in all areas or it will be a part time sport in 3/5 years

That's Brilliant Summary, far far better than I could articulate.
You've taken the Redvee thread, ans added some Yorkshire no nonscence....!
RankPostsTeam
International Star5418
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 03 20177 years56th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
27th Mar 24 19:0827th Mar 24 19:08LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Redvee : Thu May 06, 2021 6:41 pm  
Zoo Zoo Boom wrote:

Great post. Don’t agree with last line but I agree with a lot of that. Nrl mega tv deal was a big blow to SL
Previous