FORUMS FORUMS

RLFANS.COM
Celebrating
25 years service to
the Rugby League
Community!

Current LIVE TV Match : Castleford Tigers 6 - 24 Leeds Rhinos LIVE ON SKY SPORTS Miller Try
WWW.RLFANS.COM • View topic - RD 5 | Huddersfield Giants (A)
RankPostsTeam
International Board Member11342
JoinedServiceReputation
Aug 11 200222 years144th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
28th Mar 24 17:4422nd Mar 24 23:31LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
I'm not a pheasant plucker, i'm a pheasant pluckers son and i'm only plucking pheasants till the pheasant plucker comes.

Re: RD 5 | Huddersfield Giants (A) : Wed May 05, 2021 8:41 pm  
doc-rhino wrote:
how many would have got in any of the title winning sides ?
Several but those teams didn't come overnight they were built. Just as we are doing now with the senior and promising younger players. It's only two years ago we nearly were regulated. You need to have a little more patience.
RankPostsTeam
Club Captain3615
JoinedServiceReputation
May 19 20168 years83rd
OnlineLast PostLast Page
15th May 22 08:103rd May 22 22:52LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: RD 5 | Huddersfield Giants (A) : Wed May 05, 2021 9:11 pm  
doc-rhino wrote:
with disrespect to salford we had ne game to win and made a good job of it but it doesn't detract from having a substandard squad

Yeah same in 99 we only beat London Broncos in final so doesnt really count i suppose? Graham Murray got so lucky and playing against Tulsen Tollett and co really made an average Iestyn look better than he was. Rest of clubs couldnt be bothered and let us get to Wembley anyway.

Graham Murray pffft total stop gap. Only ever won 1 trophy. How many of that 99 team wouldve got a game in 1910 Cup winning team?

Saints havent won cup since 2008 yet its such an easy trophy to win. Doesnt add up really
Last edited by Marty Grrrrrrrrrr! on Wed May 05, 2021 9:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.
RankPostsTeam
Club Captain4160
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 18 20185 years30th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
28th Mar 24 15:5725th Mar 24 12:01LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: RD 5 | Huddersfield Giants (A) : Wed May 05, 2021 9:18 pm  
It's the catalyst signings we're missing. Leeds have built success in recent memory from a nucleus of home-developed talent, and that's an even more necessary strategy now than ever it was, due to difficulties in signing NRL players now.

However we had Senior, McDermott, Harris, Ellis, Peacock all signed from other clubs and all who were fantastic for Leeds. I'd say each of them had the best years of their career with us too, possibly excepting Ellis who kicked on another level in the NRL I think.

If we want to be top of the table again, we're going to have to have the best squad in Super League. It's not rocket science, we need the best players. Our systems and supports might be very good, but they're icing on the cake not cake itself.

Honestly we need to clear a little dead wood and push on again with 2-3 first grade quality signings. With the youth talent we have, why on Earth sign any new player unless they are capable of playing in and winning a GF with us?
RankPostsTeam
Club Coach15864No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 09 200419 years178th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
27th Feb 24 21:0018th Oct 23 06:01LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Nottingham. 800 years ago outlaws stole from the rich. Little has changed here

Re: RD 5 | Huddersfield Giants (A) : Wed May 05, 2021 9:59 pm  
It's hard to compare our team with other eras because the game is completely different, and the international market is different. You just can't get an Ali or a Buderus any more, and this generations Peacocks and Seniors would be playing in the NRL, the salary cap is just way out of our reach in this country.

Having said that, there are poor players in the squad. I don't really understand Briscoe getting 2 years. I actually think the pack is in decent nick, but theres no X factor players in there. The closest we have is Hurrell, and most want to ship him out.
RankPostsTeam
Club Captain3082No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 06 20177 years68th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
28th Mar 24 13:2825th Mar 24 09:19LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: RD 5 | Huddersfield Giants (A) : Wed May 05, 2021 10:01 pm  
KaeruJim wrote:
It's the catalyst signings we're missing. Leeds have built success in recent memory from a nucleus of home-developed talent, and that's an even more necessary strategy now than ever it was, due to difficulties in signing NRL players now.

However we had Senior, McDermott, Harris, Ellis, Peacock all signed from other clubs and all who were fantastic for Leeds. I'd say each of them had the best years of their career with us too, possibly excepting Ellis who kicked on another level in the NRL I think.

If we want to be top of the table again, we're going to have to have the best squad in Super League. It's not rocket science, we need the best players. Our systems and supports might be very good, but they're icing on the cake not cake itself.

Honestly we need to clear a little dead wood and push on again with 2-3 first grade quality signings. With the youth talent we have, why on Earth sign any new player unless they are capable of playing in and winning a GF with us?

Think we need to stop living in cloud cuckoo land as fans. You can't sign players like that anymore. Best English talent go's to NRL. Then there's more competition for what's left and less choice. Wire, Hull, abs even Cas and Hudds have emerged as clubs who compete for talent. We have to go with what we have, and the odd risky signing which can be hit or miss......
Some serious young talent coming through. We just need to be more patient....
We will get there!
RankPostsTeam
Club Coach15864No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 09 200419 years178th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
27th Feb 24 21:0018th Oct 23 06:01LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Nottingham. 800 years ago outlaws stole from the rich. Little has changed here

Re: RD 5 | Huddersfield Giants (A) : Wed May 05, 2021 10:15 pm  
The salary cap is working well. Just not sure how Saints can be so much better though. I guess it comes to something I've always said which is in a salary cap sport, team spirit and coaching would be where you focus. I think it team spirit is good, a world away from where it was 2 years ago, but I don't think we look well coached. A team like Leeds should have the best coach in the business
RankPostsTeam
Club Captain3082No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 06 20177 years68th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: RD 5 | Huddersfield Giants (A) : Wed May 05, 2021 10:19 pm  
The Eagle wrote:
The salary cap is working well. Just not sure how Saints can be so much better though. I guess it comes to something I've always said which is in a salary cap sport, team spirit and coaching would be where you focus. I think it team spirit is good, a world away from where it was 2 years ago, but I don't think we look well coached. A team like Leeds should have the best coach in the business

More important than any of these things, are injuries. Saints and Wigan has couple of very healthy years, therfore right at top.
When Saints seemed to have terrible luck like we are having now, they won nothing...
RankPostsTeam
Club Captain3615
JoinedServiceReputation
May 19 20168 years83rd
OnlineLast PostLast Page
15th May 22 08:103rd May 22 22:52LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: RD 5 | Huddersfield Giants (A) : Thu May 06, 2021 5:24 am  
The Eagle wrote:

You have to wonder if our starting halves Lui and Gale being out has something to do with us not looking well coached dont you? Mind you our back ups Eastmond and Myler should be able to cope im sure....oh wait no....theyve been out too. Still our 3rd choice half back pairing of Sutcliffe and McLelland should fill in okish....oh bummer theyve been out too. Oh well surely we could play Cam Smith in halves....oh poo hes missing too.

But weve still got Jack Walker in our spine....hang on hes not played for 2 years. But Myler is a more than capable replacement...oh wait but weve already established hes been out all year. Sutcliffe then, good old jack of all trades Sutty he can play at 1.....ah but f..k hes been out and is needed in halves when fit cos our other 6 halves are out. Well lets play a kid at full back then whos played half a dozen SL games.

Ive really no idea why we dont look well coached. Total mystery.

Lmao.
RankPostsTeam
Club Captain3082No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 06 20177 years68th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: RD 5 | Huddersfield Giants (A) : Thu May 06, 2021 7:04 am  
Marty Grrrrrrrrrr! wrote:
You have to wonder if our starting halves Lui and Gale being out has something to do with us not looking well coached dont you? Mind you our back ups Eastmond and Myler should be able to cope im sure....oh wait no....theyve been out too. Still our 3rd choice half back pairing of Sutcliffe and McLelland should fill in okish....oh bummer theyve been out too. Oh well surely we could play Cam Smith in halves....oh poo hes missing too.

But weve still got Jack Walker in our spine....hang on hes not played for 2 years. But Myler is a more than capable replacement...oh wait but weve already established hes been out all year. Sutcliffe then, good old jack of all trades Sutty he can play at 1.....ah but f..k hes been out and is needed in halves when fit cos our other 6 halves are out. Well lets play a kid at full back then whos played half a dozen SL games.

Lmao.

Think that answers it! Your explanation is brilliant to someone who appreciates sarcasm....
RankPostsTeam
Fringe Player957No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 11 20203 years154th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
26th Mar 24 12:3326th Mar 24 12:33LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: RD 5 | Huddersfield Giants (A) : Thu May 06, 2021 8:28 am  
Marty Grrrrrrrrrr! wrote:

Lmao.

Coaching is about getting the best out of the players that are available - even by Agar's own comments the senior players aren't performing. The discipline on the field is terrible, simple passing and handling errors are numerous and avoidable. Simple defensive structures not adhered to - maybe that gives us a clue as why we don't look well coached - because the team isn't well coached?
PreviousNext

Subject: 
Please note using apple style emoji's can result in posting failures.
Use the FULL EDITOR to better format content or upload images, be notified of replies etc...

Return to Leeds Rhinos

RLFANS Recent Posts
FORUM
LAST
POSTER
Rd 6 I Cas A
mattsrhinos1
3m
The Good Friday Derby Massacre
Tarquin Fueg
12m
Smith - should he stay or should he go