RLFANS.COM
Celebrating
22 years service to
the Rugby League
Community!
WWW.RLFANS.COM • View topic - Corey Hall
Re: Corey Hall Wed Apr 07, 2021 3:16 pm  

Zoo Zoo Boom wrote:
Zoo Zoo Boom Strong-running second rower
Strong-running second rower

Joined: Fri Dec 11, 2020 9:38 am
Posts: 439
D4mo78 wrote:
I personally don't see the need or right to even criticise a players performance. They and the club will know if player hasn't performed and it's up to them to address. Don't see any benefit of fans saying things on social media, especially when you see the player being tagged in.


Rugby is simply entertainment - if the fans don't feel like the entertainment is up to scratch surely they are entitled to say so or are you saying is the club and all its employees beyond criticism?

No point having fans otherwise - commenting on the game and its participants is the lifeblood of the sport. Or can we only comment on the good stuff?
Re: Corey Hall Wed Apr 07, 2021 3:53 pm  

exiledrhino wrote:
exiledrhino Eddie Hemmings's Wig
Eddie Hemmings's Wig

Joined: Thu Apr 04, 2019 8:07 am
Posts: 162
I've got to say, I think it's a strange idea that players shouldn't be criticized. Absolutely 100% on board it should not be personal, but if you're paid to do a job in a public arena, scrutiny by the public who pay your bills comes with the territory.

Ultimately, fans are being paid to be entertained. Being able to cheer and boo is all part of the pantomime of sport. In the interview on Out of Your League with James Childs, even he said he's not bothered with crowds booing him as long as it's not a personal attack. At least players will be praised if they do something good unlike a ref!

In RL, you are getting the chance to be paid to do the job you love. At it's heights you could be playing for your country or in a packed crowd of 80k at Old Trafford. At the opposite end you could get injured or simply not be good enough and get booed. Being a pro-sportsman is taking that risk on voluntarily. 80k cheering for an amazing performance, or fans booing if you're not up to it. The best players will back themselves and be able to channel out the crowd altogether.

It's a similar conversation when players were saying that relegation put their livelihoods at risk. I don't get it! If you're good enough, you'll get a new contract, if not, the sport doesn't owe you a living, put contingency plans in place accordingly! If I were no good at my job I'd lose it!
Re: Corey Hall Wed Apr 07, 2021 5:13 pm  

Shabino wrote:
Shabino Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

Joined: Mon Feb 06, 2017 4:39 pm
Posts: 1150
exiledrhino wrote:
I've got to say, I think it's a strange idea that players shouldn't be criticized. Absolutely 100% on board it should not be personal, but if you're paid to do a job in a public arena, scrutiny by the public who pay your bills comes with the territory.

Ultimately, fans are being paid to be entertained. Being able to cheer and boo is all part of the pantomime of sport. In the interview on Out of Your League with James Childs, even he said he's not bothered with crowds booing him as long as it's not a personal attack. At least players will be praised if they do something good unlike a ref!

In RL, you are getting the chance to be paid to do the job you love. At it's heights you could be playing for your country or in a packed crowd of 80k at Old Trafford. At the opposite end you could get injured or simply not be good enough and get booed. Being a pro-sportsman is taking that risk on voluntarily. 80k cheering for an amazing performance, or fans booing if you're not up to it. The best players will back themselves and be able to channel out the crowd altogether.

It's a similar conversation when players were saying that relegation put their livelihoods at risk. I don't get it! If you're good enough, you'll get a new contract, if not, the sport doesn't owe you a living, put contingency plans in place accordingly! If I were no good at my job I'd lose it!


Wise words and and well said.
Re: Corey Hall Thu Apr 08, 2021 8:28 am  

D4mo78 wrote:
D4mo78 Cheeky half-back
Cheeky half-back

Joined: Sat Jun 02, 2012 8:32 am
Posts: 586
Zoo Zoo Boom wrote:
Rugby is simply entertainment - if the fans don't feel like the entertainment is up to scratch surely they are entitled to say so or are you saying is the club and all its employees beyond criticism?

No point having fans otherwise - commenting on the game and its participants is the lifeblood of the sport. Or can we only comment on the good stuff?


It is entertainment, it's just a game at the end of the day. I love rugby and love Leeds, but I've realised that in reality has little impact on what happens in my life. So for me, if it's a bad performance, I'll talk to mates on a WhatsApp group, might put the odd message on here, but I don't feel the need to put any criticism on social media for the world and that player to see.

Ultimately, the people affected by a bad performance are the players and staff at the club. So I'm happy to leave it to them to deal with and address. Guess this discussion goes beyond rugby and is about the whole place of social media, but that's not for this time or place.

As an example, I just feel that seeing things like the criticism that's on Twitter at the moment about McClelland for not being good enough, is just unnecessary. A young player who is trying to make his way in the game, what benefit does it bring to him or the club to see people saying that about him? I remember reading in someone's sport biography that players, whilst appreciating the fans, also find them to be buffoons because they/we don't know the intricaciesof what they do. And the point stuck with me. Of course we have our opinions, but I don't think I'm qualified to criticise a player in public. I don't know him or know the impact it will have. The only person I think should be doing that is his coach who should know if it would be a motivator for him.

It would be interesting to know what impact it does actually have on players when they see things on social media. Maybe I'm off the mark.
Re: Corey Hall Thu Apr 08, 2021 8:54 am  

User avatarchristopher wrote:
christopher User avatar
Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

Joined: Tue Nov 19, 2002 9:13 am
Posts: 10118
Location: West Yorkshire
^ great post

Take Martin, he’s been criticised for his performances this year (written off by some) and see his interview on the Leeds site, he’s said his performances have fallen short of his own standards and needs to improve, bearing in mind hes had covid and has serious asthma it’s probably not surprising he’s been below par.

I don’t think players or refs for that matter expect no criticism from fans espeyon a board such as this, its when criticism turns into personal attacks where it crosses the line, having said that Im not sure why anyone would feel the need to directly have a go at a player by tagging them on social media
Re: Corey Hall Thu Apr 08, 2021 10:03 am  

User avatarKaeruJim wrote:
KaeruJim User avatar
Bronze RLFANS Member
Bronze RLFANS Member

Joined: Thu Oct 18, 2018 8:27 am
Posts: 2601
Some good points made. Personally I think the Hall thing is a storm in a teacup; I saw one or two criticisms but they were a small minority. Most sensible fans totally understand that 18 is very young to take the field in this sport, unless you are a genetic freak like Sam Burgess or Chev Walker.

There is a saying that unhelpful criticism aims to make yourself feel better; and helpful criticism makes the world better.
Re: Corey Hall Thu Apr 08, 2021 11:52 am  

Shabino wrote:
Shabino Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

Joined: Mon Feb 06, 2017 4:39 pm
Posts: 1150
KaeruJim wrote:
Some good points made. Personally I think the Hall thing is a storm in a teacup; I saw one or two criticisms but they were a small minority. Most sensible fans totally understand that 18 is very young to take the field in this sport, unless you are a genetic freak like Sam Burgess or Chev Walker.

There is a saying that unhelpful criticism aims to make yourself feel better; and helpful criticism makes the world better.

The critsicm of Hall on the game thread on here were OTT and short sighted.
Think the article had a point to be honest.
Re: Corey Hall Thu Apr 08, 2021 12:17 pm  

D4mo78 wrote:
D4mo78 Cheeky half-back
Cheeky half-back

Joined: Sat Jun 02, 2012 8:32 am
Posts: 586
exiledrhino wrote:
I've got to say, I think it's a strange idea that players shouldn't be criticized. Absolutely 100% on board it should not be personal, but if you're paid to do a job in a public arena, scrutiny by the public who pay your bills comes with the territory.

Ultimately, fans are being paid to be entertained. Being able to cheer and boo is all part of the pantomime of sport. In the interview on Out of Your League with James Childs, even he said he's not bothered with crowds booing him as long as it's not a personal attack. At least players will be praised if they do something good unlike a ref!

In RL, you are getting the chance to be paid to do the job you love. At it's heights you could be playing for your country or in a packed crowd of 80k at Old Trafford. At the opposite end you could get injured or simply not be good enough and get booed. Being a pro-sportsman is taking that risk on voluntarily. 80k cheering for an amazing performance, or fans booing if you're not up to it. The best players will back themselves and be able to channel out the crowd altogether.

It's a similar conversation when players were saying that relegation put their livelihoods at risk. I don't get it! If you're good enough, you'll get a new contract, if not, the sport doesn't owe you a living, put contingency plans in place accordingly! If I were no good at my job I'd lose it!


I think the main difference is that booing and cheering is expected. It will lift players and adds to the pantomime of sport. It's when it goes beyond that.

Most people have probably heard fans overstepping the mark and shouting personal insults when a player is within earshot. That's too far and is more prevalent on social media. Some people who wouldn't say it out loud think it's OK in text because they have the right for freedom of speech.

I personally don't think I have the right to criticise because I pay my money. My money is paid for the right to watch and that's it. I also don't think that because they're doing a job we'd all love to, they're there to be shot down.
Re: Corey Hall Fri Apr 09, 2021 10:06 am  

exiledrhino wrote:
exiledrhino Eddie Hemmings's Wig
Eddie Hemmings's Wig

Joined: Thu Apr 04, 2019 8:07 am
Posts: 162
D4mo78 wrote:
I think the main difference is that booing and cheering is expected. It will lift players and adds to the pantomime of sport. It's when it goes beyond that.

Most people have probably heard fans overstepping the mark and shouting personal insults when a player is within earshot. That's too far and is more prevalent on social media. Some people who wouldn't say it out loud think it's OK in text because they have the right for freedom of speech.

I personally don't think I have the right to criticise because I pay my money. My money is paid for the right to watch and that's it. I also don't think that because they're doing a job we'd all love to, they're there to be shot down.


I completely agree, and that's why my post states that if it's personal it's not on!

This is actually just a part of a much larger conversation of the use of social media in society. Social media is not real life and is completely toxic. I personally don't use social media for that reason, and think the world would generally be better without it. The best thing for players would probably be not to use it or to have private accounts in my view, but at the end of the day it's their individual choice.

I still maintain that if I pay money to watch my team play, I get to boo them if I want (which I don't think I ever actually have). I certainly felt like booing a lot of times under McDermott, not for individual bad performances, but for the absolute boring, rubbish to watch style of rugby we generally played. It's part of being a fan!
Re: Corey Hall Sun Apr 11, 2021 6:19 am  

User avatarThe Eagle wrote:
The Eagle User avatar
Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

Joined: Sat Oct 09, 2004 10:07 pm
Posts: 15600
Location: Nottingham. 800 years ago outlaws stole from the rich. Little has changed here

Analysis of team or player performance is part and parcel of sport. It's people discussing down the pub after the game etc.
Doing it on Facebook or here or wherever is the same in my opinion. It's a virtual representation of those face to face discussions.
Personal abuse is unnecessary and says more about the person commenting than the subject.
Tagging someone on social media so they see the abuse is nasty.

If I were a pro RL player I wouldn't have it, or would have a private account. Because even 1% of morons is still a significant number
Previous

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: ArthurClues, BOG, carnegiedweller, Dadsylad, Frosties., Loiner at large, Marty Grrrrrrrrrr!, OldFart2, RHINO-MARK, tad rhino, The Magic Rat and 274 guests

Quick Reply



Subject:
Message:

   
Please note using apple style emoji's can result in posting failures.

Return to Leeds Rhinos - southstander.com


When you register you get access to the live match scores, live match chat and you can post in the discussions on the forums.
YOU HAVE RL CHAT OFF
RLFANS Match Centre
Sun 12th Sep
SLRND: 24 Leigh26-18Wakefield
NRL RND: 26 Parramatta28-20Newcastle
CH RND: 21 Batley24-31Dewsbury
CH RND: 21 LondonB28-48Featherstone
CH RND: 21 Oldham24-38Newcastle
CH RND: 21 Whitehaven19-6Halifax
CH RND: 21 Widnes10-9Bradford
CH RND: 21 Sheffield28-34Swinton
L1 RND: 21 Workington14-32Hunslet
L1 RND: 21 Doncaster26-28Keighley
L1 RND: 21 Rochdale50-22Coventry
WSL RND: 15 CastlefordW6-50St.HelensW
WSL RND: 15 Wire W18-34FeatherstoneW
WSL RND: 15 LeedsW28-10WiganW
Sat 11th Sep
SL RND: 24 Hull FC0-10Wigan
SL RND: 24 Warrington20-19Salford
SL RND: 24 Catalans18-30Huddersfield
SL RND: 24 Hull KR26-19Castleford
NRL
LIVE
Sydney25-24Gold Coast
NRL
LIVE
Penrith10-16Souths
This is an inplay table and positions can change as matches are in play.
National Rugby League 2021 ROUND : 25
 PLDFADIFFPTS
Melbourne 24 815 316 499 42
Penrith 24 640 280 360 42
Souths 24 775 453 322 40
Manly 24 744 492 252 32
Sydney 24 636 475 161 32
Parramatta 24 566 457 109 30
Newcastle 24 428 571 -143 24
Gold Coast 24 568 553 15 20
 
Cronulla 24 512 556 -44 20
Canberra 24 481 578 -97 20
St.George 24 474 616 -142 16
NZ Warriors 24 453 624 -171 16
Wests 24 500 714 -214 16
Brisbane 24 446 695 -249 14
NQL Cowboys 24 460 748 -288 14
Canterbury 24 340 710 -370 6
This is an inplay table and positions can change as matches are in play.
Betfred Super League XXVI ROUND : 24
 PLDFADIFFPTSDIFFWP%
Catalans 22 680 386 294 38 176.17 86.36
St.Helens 20 534 203 331 32 263.05 80
Warrington 20 548 330 218 29 166.06 72.50
Wigan 24 375 377 -2 28 99.47 58.33
Hull KR 19 485 422 63 20 114.93 52.63
Leeds 23 520 428 92 24 121.50 52.17
 
Castleford 22 415 512 -97 22 81.05 50
Hull FC 20 397 432 -35 17 91.90 42.50
Huddersfield 23 418 492 -74 16 84.96 34.78
Wakefield 23 438 536 -98 16 81.72 34.78
Salford 21 376 572 -196 12 65.73 28.57
Leigh 21 332 828 -496 4 40.10 9.52
This is an inplay table and positions can change as matches are in play.
Betfred Championship 2021 ROUND : 20
 PLDFADIFFPTSDIFFWP%
Toulouse 13 616 112 504 26 550 100
Featherstone 19 817 254 563 34 321.65 94.74
Halifax 19 512 323 189 26 158.51 68.42
Bradford 18 483 455 28 24 106.15 66.67
LondonB 18 504 499 5 21 101 63.89
Batley 19 525 370 155 24 141.89 63.16
 
Whitehaven 20 447 496 -49 21 90.12 52.50
York 19 470 455 15 16 103.30 42.11
Widnes 19 458 509 -51 15 89.98 39.47
Newcastle 18 381 521 -140 13 73.13 36.11
Sheffield 18 382 553 -171 13 69.08 36.11
Dewsbury 19 308 570 -262 13 54.04 34.21
Oldham 19 270 691 -421 5 39.07 13.16
Swinton 20 354 719 -365 3 49.24 7.50
This is an inplay table and positions can change as matches are in play.
Betfred League One 2021 ROUND : 22
 PLDFADIFFPTSDIFFWP%
Barrow 17 596 275 321 27 216.73 79.41
Workington 15 471 310 161 21 151.94 70
Crusaders 17 539 410 129 22 131.46 64.71
Doncaster 17 472 390 82 22 121.03 64.71
Keighley 18 612 385 227 23 158.96 63.89
Hunslet 18 562 435 127 20 129.20 55.56
 
Rochdale 17 505 488 17 17 103.48 50
Coventry 17 407 460 -53 12 88.48 35.29
LondonS 18 292 577 -285 7 50.61 19.44
West Wales 18 208 896 -688 1 23.21 2.78
This is an inplay table and positions can change as matches are in play.
Betfred Womens Super League 2021 ROUND : 9
 PLDFADIFFPTSDIFFWP%
St.HelensW 7 370 36 334 12 1,027.78 85.71
WiganW 6 222 64 158 10 346.88 83.33
YorkW 6 186 102 84 8 182.35 66.67
CastlefordW 6 166 96 70 8 172.92 66.67
BradfordW 8 158 264 -106 6 59.85 37.50
Hudds W 7 104 288 -184 4 36.11 28.57
 
Wire W 8 150 334 -184 4 44.91 25
FeatherstoneW 8 122 338 -216 4 36.09 25
LeedsW 7 364 38 326 14 957.89 100
WakefieldW 7 50 332 -282 0 15.06 0
RLFANS Recent Posts




X
::::::::