FORUMS FORUMS

RLFANS.COM
Celebrating
25 years service to
the Rugby League
Community!

WWW.RLFANS.COM • View topic - RD 2 | Castleford Tigers (H)
RankPostsTeam
International Board Member6812
JoinedServiceReputation
Aug 02 200222 years45th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
15th Apr 24 16:5415th Apr 24 15:17LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: RD 2 | Castleford Tigers (H) : Fri Apr 02, 2021 8:54 pm  
Agree with a lot of what has been said here.
Funny how nowadays we are pleased with the effort considering where we have come 18 months ago.
Hall had a bad first half but didn`t look out of place in the second half.
Broadbent very good again along with Alex Sutcliffe.
Tom as I keep saying offers nothing and for those wanting Gale binned you need to give your head a wobble.
Yes not as good as we expect but he will get there.
Liam Sutcliffe had one of his better games but half back he isn`t.
The forwards did well and contained the Cas pack.
I agree that we don`t get much out of Mellor/Martin on the pitch together and Donaldson as much as I like him should make way for King or Walters.
My preferred ​team when all fit would be:
Myler
Newman/Broadbent
Hurrel
Sutcliffe
Handley
Eastmond
Gale
Mik
Leeming
Prior
Tetavano
Martin
Smith
Subs
Dwyer
Holroyd
Thompson
Mellor/King/Walters
RankPostsTeam
International Board Member7198
JoinedServiceReputation
May 28 200222 years134th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
15th Apr 24 15:3015th Apr 24 14:11LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: RD 2 | Castleford Tigers (H) : Fri Apr 02, 2021 9:00 pm  
While he did nothing to convince me he was a 6, I thought Liam Sutcliffe had a much stronger game, with some good runs (despite one or two defensive lapses).

Jon Wilkin annoyed me by going on about how Cas had a much more versatile squad than Leeds. With so many players missing from our backline, what does he expect us to do, play Oledski at FB? Jon Wells could barely contain himself gushing over Cas in his analysis.

A team with a bit more strike would have scored a lot more with the position and possession Leeds had today. Tom Briscoe could be forgiven for jumping the line (after all, Ryan Hall did it loads) if he offered a bit more going forward. I'd like to see him make a few more damaging runs bringing the ball out of our own 20, for starters. Still early in the season to be writing any of our players off.
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach2833No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 04 200915 years298th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
22nd Apr 22 08:4321st Apr 22 22:20LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: RD 2 | Castleford Tigers (H) : Fri Apr 02, 2021 9:03 pm  
Enjoyed the game.
As far as Cas go, rather like last week I don’t think we were clinical enough. We had plenty of full sets in the Leeds 20 and didn’t make enough of that possession.
I thought Tetevano was very good and I’m a big fan of Leeming. As a non-Leeds supporter, it seems like a lot of interchanges to constantly swap Leeming and Dwyer though (I think you used four interchanges for that today) when Leeming seems to offer much more of a threat.
RankPostsTeam
Club Owner24185No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 14 200321 years1st
OnlineLast PostLast Page
16th Apr 24 00:3816th Apr 24 06:04LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: RD 2 | Castleford Tigers (H) : Sat Apr 03, 2021 4:10 am  
As a neutral I thought it was a good game and you performed really against a good Cas side who will do well if they keep their spine fit. I thought you young lads did really well maybe Hall the exception. Zane T looks a fantastic buy, if anything I thought your more experienced players let you down, Gales kicking was terrible, he is much better than that and Briscoe was poor, what has happened to him, use to make some many yards, win penalties and make regular breaks, he did nothing of note until he gave away a 4th tacke set restart and got the read wrong for their last try which just about finished the game off for you.

Plenty to be positive about particularly if you can get some backs fit.
RankPostsTeam
Club Owner13165No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Nov 19 200221 years4th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
15th Apr 24 13:475th Apr 24 18:48LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: RD 2 | Castleford Tigers (H) : Sat Apr 03, 2021 5:34 am  
Exeter Rhino wrote:
While he did nothing to convince me he was a 6, I thought Liam Sutcliffe had a much stronger game, with some good runs (despite one or two defensive lapses).

Jon Wilkin annoyed me by going on about how Cas had a much more versatile squad than Leeds. With so many players missing from our backline, what does he expect us to do, play Oledski at FB? Jon Wells could barely contain himself gushing over Cas in his analysis.

A team with a bit more strike would have scored a lot more with the position and possession Leeds had today. Tom Briscoe could be forgiven for jumping the line (after all, Ryan Hall did it loads) if he offered a bit more going forward. I'd like to see him make a few more damaging runs bringing the ball out of our own 20, for starters. Still early in the season to be writing any of our players off.

Just on Jon Wilkin, I think he speaks well and is clearly confident in front of a camera, however I don’t think he can mention Leeds without having subtle digs here and there, mind you probably don’t blame him how many GFs did he lose against Leeds? :-)

John Wells is director of rugby at cas , hes bound to be a bit biased, he can’t say they’re crap, that means he’s doing a crap job.
RankPostsTeam
Fringe Player967No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 11 20203 years161st
OnlineLast PostLast Page
15th Apr 24 11:1814th Apr 24 09:17LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: RD 2 | Castleford Tigers (H) : Sat Apr 03, 2021 6:15 am  
bdrhino wrote:
Season too far is a bit melodramatic to put it mildly. He's on his own and recovering from an injury.When he's fit and got someone decent next to him I reckon he'll be class again(I thought he was excellent against wakey).

Agree on hall, but he was actually better physically than I exacted for someone his age and experience.realistically he isn't going to get that many chances this year anyway.

For me it was Myler who made the difference against Wakefield - Gale was poor in that game too. He maybe on his own but that doesn't stop him executing - something he hasn't done in the first two games - his kicking yesterday was appalling - it took him 60 minutes to hit the ground with a kick
RankPostsTeam
First Team Player503No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 04 20204 years285th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
2nd Oct 22 19:552nd Oct 22 19:38LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: RD 2 | Castleford Tigers (H) : Sat Apr 03, 2021 6:20 am  
I thought gale had a hand in most of the good things we did against wakey and is more important that anyone else when it comes to making us tick.His kicking was undoubtedly off yesterday but he will get fitter,stronger and better.
RankPostsTeam
First Team Player469No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 30 20194 years151st
OnlineLast PostLast Page
15th Apr 24 20:3010th Apr 24 07:37LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: RD 2 | Castleford Tigers (H) : Sat Apr 03, 2021 6:43 am  
Think we need a sense of perspective and take stock of current position.Everybody said that our priority was to sort out the pack. On the evidence of the first couple of games the forwards generally have gone well and in terms of field position have given a platform that with the right 1-6 on the field would have seen relatively comfortable wins. The next few weeks are going to be tough but when we get bodies back we will be competitive. I have a few observations on the general discussion.
Throwing more kids into an already depleted backing won't solve anything and potentially harm their development.
Until Myler back I would either go with the 2 Sutcliffe in the centres and Cam Smith at 6 or move Mellor to Centre. We have no pace anyway so might as well strengthen physically. Give King or walters a go then from the bench.
Gale had a poor game vs Cas but lay off the guy he's coming off a long term injury and trying to do everything himself. Also would question potentially the coaching as for 60 minutes we went with the same last tackle kick dropping it on the wingers so presumably this was a coached play!
100% agree about our wingers and would give Tindall ago when Eastmond Newman Hurrell Myler back but not now. Mellor seems to be the new whipping boy but for me although he needs to develop I think Martin is the weaker link he has the odd eye catching game but generally for a 2nd row his overall workrate is low.Expect to lose the next couple but hopefully things settle after that as players return
RankPostsTeam
Club Captain2576No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jun 15 20204 years52nd
OnlineLast PostLast Page
15th Apr 24 23:0915th Apr 24 12:50LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: RD 2 | Castleford Tigers (H) : Sat Apr 03, 2021 6:49 am  
RankPostsTeam
Club Owner13165No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Nov 19 200221 years4th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
15th Apr 24 13:475th Apr 24 18:48LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: RD 2 | Castleford Tigers (H) : Sat Apr 03, 2021 7:10 am  
Loiner at large wrote:
Think we need a sense of perspective and take stock of current position.Everybody said that our priority was to sort out the pack. On the evidence of the first couple of games the forwards generally have gone well and in terms of field position have given a platform that with the right 1-6 on the field would have seen relatively comfortable wins. The next few weeks are going to be tough but when we get bodies back we will be competitive. I have a few observations on the general discussion.
Throwing more kids into an already depleted backing won't solve anything and potentially harm their development.
Until Myler back I would either go with the 2 Sutcliffe in the centres and Cam Smith at 6 or move Mellor to Centre. We have no pace anyway so might as well strengthen physically. Give King or walters a go then from the bench.
Gale had a poor game vs Cas but lay off the guy he's coming off a long term injury and trying to do everything himself. Also would question potentially the coaching as for 60 minutes we went with the same last tackle kick dropping it on the wingers so presumably this was a coached play!
100% agree about our wingers and would give Tindall ago when Eastmond Newman Hurrell Myler back but not now. Mellor seems to be the new whipping boy but for me although he needs to develop I think Martin is the weaker link he has the odd eye catching game but generally for a 2nd row his overall workrate is low.Expect to lose the next couple but hopefully things settle after that as players return

Good post, i think we look exactly where we are, a bit under prepared, playing with one halfback whose 70% fit and had no pre season and decimated back line, im still confident we can make a good go of this season
PreviousNext