JoinedServiceReputation
May 25 200618 years293rd
OnlineLast PostLast Page
22nd Apr 24 09:0818th Apr 24 14:09LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
"Well, I think in Rugby League if you head butt someone there's normally some repercusions"

Re: Player | Stevie Ward : Tue Dec 22, 2020 3:11 pm  
Jack Burton wrote:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/55356802

Thoughts

Not sure. I can't comment on junior league but my experience of coaching mini and junior RU (and my son playing) is that the game is extremely safe until they start to get bigger during growth spurt - 13/14 onwards. Even then injuries seem to be more down to body development at different rates, kids just don't grow symmetrically. I've only see a couple of bad bangs to the head in many, many games and they ended up okay. The game is not completely safe and it never will be but I think head injuries are taken much more seriously now at all levels.
Problem is by the time they get to U8's tag starts to get very physical - they just want to tackle each other.
RankPostsTeam
International Star710
JoinedServiceReputation
Aug 17 201410 years185th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
20th May 24 11:0013th May 24 08:35LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
Lifelong supporter, marching on together

Re: Player | Stevie Ward : Tue Dec 22, 2020 3:15 pm  
If you cant teach them to tackle, what they going to do when they reach open age and dont know the proper techniques. coming up against someone whos been playing for twenty years against someone who hasnt spent any time developing a fundamental element of the game.
I appreciate what they are trying to do but the method is all wrong
DHM 
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach8893
JoinedServiceReputation
May 25 200618 years293rd
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
"Well, I think in Rugby League if you head butt someone there's normally some repercusions"

Re: Player | Stevie Ward : Tue Dec 22, 2020 3:21 pm  
By the way, on the topic of concussion it might be worth checking out the latest "Good the Bad and the Rugby" podcast on YouTube. If you like the guys on it is another thing but the whole 2 hours is dedicated to concussion in the game and the legal stuff going on in Union at the moment. Jamie Cudmore is a guest (Canadian forward who played in France until recently) , he is currently suing former club Clermont.
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/rugby ... stice.html

Sounds like he has a good case.
By the way, on the topic of concussion it might be worth checking out the latest "Good the Bad and the Rugby" podcast on YouTube. If you like the guys on it is another thing but the whole 2 hours is dedicated to concussion in the game and the legal stuff going on in Union at the moment. Jamie Cudmore is a guest (Canadian forward who played in France until recently) , he is currently suing former club Clermont.

DHM 
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach8893
JoinedServiceReputation
May 25 200618 years293rd
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature

Re: Player | Stevie Ward : Tue Dec 22, 2020 3:25 pm  
LeedsLurch wrote:
If you cant teach them to tackle, what they going to do when they reach open age and dont know the proper techniques. coming up against someone whos been playing for twenty years against someone who hasnt spent any time developing a fundamental element of the game.
I appreciate what they are trying to do but the method is all wrong

Indeed. Tackling is introduced in stages in RU. It was part of some major changes made around 8/9 years ago. They start just grabbing then progress to full tackling. The research shows that mental development is important first so kids understand what you are trying to teach them.
RankPostsTeam
Club Captain1421No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 05 20159 years285th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
31st Oct 21 09:4318th Oct 21 12:56LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Player | Stevie Ward : Tue Dec 22, 2020 7:52 pm  
DHM wrote:

I don’t follow Union closely but every game I saw Cudmore play he seemed set on dishing plenty out and starting a scrap.
DHM wrote:

I don’t follow Union closely but every game I saw Cudmore play he seemed set on dishing plenty out and starting a scrap.
RankPostsTeam
Club Captain4426
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 18 20186 years20th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
20th May 24 10:2315th May 24 08:25LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Player | Stevie Ward : Wed Dec 23, 2020 8:13 am  
This is an interesting situation. Most of the conditions are sadly ones which we can acquire naturally without playing rugby. Cause and effect is hard to prove, and negligence even harder.

Personally I would be surprised if negligence can be shown. However it does raise serious questions now when the science is seeming to indicate there might be an increased risk due to playing contact sport (and not just in rugby). Most team sports will involve the risk of physical trauma; I think sensibly it's about understanding the risks better and taking measures to mitigate them - which is what we've been seeing with the HIA and protocols introduced. Maybe more needs to be done.

You can also see the anger and frustration from the players' point of view.
DHM 
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach8893
JoinedServiceReputation
May 25 200618 years293rd
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature

Re: Player | Stevie Ward : Wed Dec 23, 2020 5:22 pm  
Mark Laurie wrote:

That's the guy.
DHM 
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach8893
JoinedServiceReputation
May 25 200618 years293rd
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature

Re: Player | Stevie Ward : Wed Dec 23, 2020 5:28 pm  
KaeruJim wrote:
This is an interesting situation. Most of the conditions are sadly ones which we can acquire naturally without playing rugby. Cause and effect is hard to prove, and negligence even harder.

Personally I would be surprised if negligence can be shown. However it does raise serious questions now when the science is seeming to indicate there might be an increased risk due to playing contact sport (and not just in rugby). Most team sports will involve the risk of physical trauma; I think sensibly it's about understanding the risks better and taking measures to mitigate them - which is what we've been seeing with the HIA and protocols introduced. Maybe more needs to be done.

You can also see the anger and frustration from the players' point of view.

In Cudmore's case he was concussed in the Heineken cup semi final and failed his HIA, then the club doctor came back in and told him he needed to go back on because their second row had been injured. He got another bang and concussion. Four weeks later (after being unable to train) he played in the final and almost immediately clashed heads massively with Billy Vunipola and was badly concussed. He was ill for months afterwards and still suffers with cognitive problems.
The club doctor was clearly negligent and breached protocols - they now have neutral doctors. Expert witnesses (neurologists) were appointed by the French court and ruled that there was a case to answer.
That's a very specific case and he has evidence that protocols were broken and has medical evidence to show the direct effects.
RankPostsTeam
Moderator9098
JoinedServiceReputation
Aug 15 200618 years130th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
20th May 24 11:1717th May 24 11:21LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
BELIEVE. BELIEF. BEYOND.

IT AIN'T WHERE YOUR FROM, ITS WHERE YOUR AT.

SWMC Coach's very own timekeeping aficionado & expert stair inspector.

Re: Player | Stevie Ward : Thu Dec 24, 2020 11:13 am  
DHM wrote:
In Cudmore's case he was concussed in the Heineken cup semi final and failed his HIA, then the club doctor came back in and told him he needed to go back on because their second row had been injured. He got another bang and concussion. Four weeks later (after being unable to train) he played in the final and almost immediately clashed heads massively with Billy Vunipola and was badly concussed. He was ill for months afterwards and still suffers with cognitive problems.
The club doctor was clearly negligent and breached protocols - they now have neutral doctors. Expert witnesses (neurologists) were appointed by the French court and ruled that there was a case to answer.
That's a very specific case and he has evidence that protocols were broken and has medical evidence to show the direct effects.

:shock:

Sheesh, I am genuinely shocked that was deemed acceptable and was allowed to happen.
RankPostsTeam
Moderator10672No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 27 200618 years172nd
OnlineLast PostLast Page
20th May 24 09:489th May 24 20:08LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Player | Stevie Ward : Tue Jan 05, 2021 12:51 pm