FORUMS FORUMS

RLFANS.COM
Celebrating
25 years service to
the Rugby League
Community!

WWW.RLFANS.COM • View topic - The ONLY LUFC Football Thread - Old.
RankPostsTeam
Club Coach15864No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 09 200420 years195th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
27th Feb 24 21:0018th Oct 23 06:01LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Nottingham. 800 years ago outlaws stole from the rich. Little has changed here

Re: The ONLY LUFC Football Thread : Mon Jul 12, 2021 7:11 am  
It's hard. I've said for a while that two defensive midfielders is a bit negative. But it has got results. No goals conceded from open play in the tournament. Southgate has made us very hard to beat. I think the next level for him is being able to react and make the right attacking substitutions
RankPostsTeam
International Star5555
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 03 20177 years51st
OnlineLast PostLast Page
6th May 24 20:526th May 24 12:11LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: The ONLY LUFC Football Thread : Mon Jul 12, 2021 8:13 am  
Absolutley agree. It'll be interesting to see what he does Southgate, he was extremely dejected and will have some major food for thought. I think the quick turnaround for the world cup will help England though.
RankPostsTeam
Club Captain2616No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jun 15 20204 years52nd
OnlineLast PostLast Page
6th May 24 22:225th May 24 12:58LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: The ONLY LUFC Football Thread : Mon Jul 12, 2021 8:50 am  
To be fair, Southgate got his subs right throughout most of the tournament, but I'd probably agree that he waited too long to make last night. He could probably do with being more ruthless with them at times, as well. Sterling and Mount were knackered after an hour, but he probably kept them on too long.

Still, I'd rather focus on the positive aspects, and the fact that we got to a major final for the first time in a generation without losing in 90 minutes and without conceding a goal in open play is tremendous progress, and given the age of this squad, it feels like the beginning, rather than the end.

We've also made great progress off the field with the team reconnecting with fans and generally being a very classy bunch. It's just a shame some of the fans are an embarrassment to the country and to the human race in general.

The biggest issue England and the FA need to address though is the number of certified coaches in this country. The likes of Germany have over twice as many as we do, and Spain have 10k more than we do. The price of a uefa A and B license costs something like 5 or 6k in England, but costs a grand in Spain, and even less in Germany, which given the amount of money in the English game should be relatively easy to fix.
RankPostsTeam
Club Captain3615
JoinedServiceReputation
May 19 20168 years91st
OnlineLast PostLast Page
15th May 22 08:103rd May 22 22:52LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: The ONLY LUFC Football Thread : Mon Jul 12, 2021 9:15 am  
Jack Burton wrote:
To be fair, Southgate got his subs right throughout most of the tournament, but I'd probably agree that he waited too long to make last night. He could probably do with being more ruthless with them at times, as well. Sterling and Mount were knackered after an hour, but he probably kept them on too long.

Still, I'd rather focus on the positive aspects, and the fact that we got to a major final for the first time in a generation without losing in 90 minutes and without conceding a goal in open play is tremendous progress, and given the age of this squad, it feels like the beginning, rather than the end.

Sterling was our only threat 2nd half. He caused them all kinds of problems when he ran at them. They looked terrified of his pace. I wouldnt have taken him off.
RankPostsTeam
International Star5555
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 03 20177 years51st
OnlineLast PostLast Page
6th May 24 20:526th May 24 12:11LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: The ONLY LUFC Football Thread : Mon Jul 12, 2021 9:27 am  
Jack Burton wrote:

We've also made great progress off the field with the team reconnecting with fans and generally being a very classy bunch. It's just a shame some of the fans are an embarrassment to the country and to the human race in general.

The biggest issue England and the FA need to address though is the number of certified coaches in this country. The likes of Germany have over twice as many as we do, and Spain have 10k more than we do. The price of a uefa A and B license costs something like 5 or 6k in England, but costs a grand in Spain, and even less in Germany, which given the amount of money in the English game should be relatively easy to fix.

Some good points there. agree apart from Sterling. thought he was still running well. Mount was the one who needed to come off early in the second half.

But as you say, it's a very very young side this, and one that will undoubtedly improve further. I'm feeling very very positive about their future as a team. We just need to take that step further with the attacking threat.
RankPostsTeam
Moderator9083
JoinedServiceReputation
Aug 15 200618 years138th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
4th May 24 15:053rd May 24 08:50LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
BELIEVE. BELIEF. BEYOND.

IT AIN'T WHERE YOUR FROM, ITS WHERE YOUR AT.

SWMC Coach's very own timekeeping aficionado & expert stair inspector.

Re: The ONLY LUFC Football Thread : Mon Jul 12, 2021 10:01 am  
Logged on to find a flurry of reports and accusations on this thread.

These are being looked at and will be dealt with in due course, we (Mods) are not ignoring them, we do take them seriously and actions will be taken.

Why people get so het up over nothing is beyond me but leave it to us.

ESR
RankPostsTeam
International Board Member6865
JoinedServiceReputation
Aug 02 200222 years43rd
OnlineLast PostLast Page
6th May 24 18:565th May 24 13:49LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: The ONLY LUFC Football Thread : Mon Jul 12, 2021 10:18 am  
In response to some of the comments made above.
Admittedly Sterling the best England player this tournament which considering his club form is a real positive.
Pep wouldn`t pick him for the last 10 games or so based on form that`s in answer to Marty .
I also said I wouldn`t take Rashford and I think the tournament proved that one right.
Southgate always plays a defensive game hence the 2 holding/defensive midfielders.
Personally I think he got his subs wrong for the semi when he got lucky as it was crying out for a change in normal time.
He also got it wrong in the final imo.
First half we were on top but then Mancini sussed it out in the second half but Southgate didn`t change the system.
Mount wasn`t doing anything and it needed Grealish and Sancho not Henderson and Saka again imo.
Pleased we got to the final and should have won on pens considering they missed two.
On the other hand like the World Cup we didn`t really beat anyone of note and probably had our best chance this year playing at home.
Whilst Southgate is young ish he could have done better tactically.
RankPostsTeam
International Board Member9305
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 26 200222 years16th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
6th May 24 21:103rd May 24 19:54LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
It's not how much talent you've got, it's what you do with it that counts.

Re: The ONLY LUFC Football Thread : Mon Jul 12, 2021 10:22 am  
Enormously proud of the young squad that has been amazing under the superb leadership of Southgate. All of them should be very proud of both their efforts and achievements. This group of players is so young and exciting it reminds me very much of the period around 2003 when the Rhinos were falling just short but learning what it takes to win.

This is not a failure, it's a very important lesson on a journey to lifting another major trophy.
RankPostsTeam
Club Captain3142No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 06 20177 years72nd
OnlineLast PostLast Page
5th May 24 22:593rd May 24 09:48LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: The ONLY LUFC Football Thread : Mon Jul 12, 2021 10:28 am  
Pens are not a lottery. 90 percent in the takers favour to score. 2 from 5 is frankly laughable... (and I did)!
RankPostsTeam
International Board Member6865
JoinedServiceReputation
Aug 02 200222 years43rd
OnlineLast PostLast Page
6th May 24 18:565th May 24 13:49LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: The ONLY LUFC Football Thread : Mon Jul 12, 2021 10:36 am  
To the person who thought Phillips had got lucky winning a lottery to get in the England squad.
The outfield player who has played more minutes than any other player during this tournament.
And the player who has topped the stats for making most tackles and pressing the opposition.
Take a bow the waste of space that is Kalvin Phillips.

Daily Mail - 8/10
England's very own Duracell bunny. He has not stopped running since kick-off against Croatia on June 13. Every blade of grass covered, every sinew in his body strained. And to think he has just one season of Premier League football under his belt. Immense.

Daily Mirror - 6/10
Never wasted a pass. Covered every blade of grass to force the Italians backwards. A player who has grown in stature during the tournament

Daily Express - 7/10
Held centre ground and gave Rice licence to roam. Effective with his distribution. Real workhorse.

Daily Telegraph - 8/10
A revelation, midfield spoiler and protector of the back-three. Has an inbuilt radar for sniffing out danger. Was playing in the Championship 18 months ago yet has assumed the appearance of a veteran

Guardian - 8/10
Tireless in keeping Italy’s threat at arm’s length. Unable to stretch them with his passing but stifled them physically.

The i - 7/10
The England player to have enhanced his reputation the most during this tournament delivered another assured display.

The Independent - 7/10
Not quite as omnipresent as Rice but as tenacious in the tackle and relentless in his pressing as we have come to expect during this tournament.

The Times - 7/10
Another notch on his belt in a remarkable tournament where he has established a regular position in midfield. He has been incredibly consistent, barely putting a foot wrong in the middle of the pitch.

The Sun - 8/10
The Leeds ace went toe-to-toe with the Italy midfield and gave everything. Shame it meant nothing in the end.

Daily Star - 6/10
On it from off, giving Italian midfield trio no peace and quiet. But outnumbered later on.
PreviousNext