FORUMS FORUMS

RLFANS.COM
Celebrating
25 years service to
the Rugby League
Community!

WWW.RLFANS.COM • View topic - A Reasoned Debate and Assessment of the South Stand...
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach14424No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 18 200519 yearsN/A
OnlineLast PostLast Page
25th Mar 16 01:4120th Nov 15 14:38LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
REMEMBER, A TVOC IS FOR LIFE, NOT JUST FOR CHRISTMAS!

Puig-Aubert wrote:
Its just Loz. It may seem a bit childish, sad and cringeworthy but its just his way.

for Puig Aubert's top ten masturbation tips visit

www.sang-et-or.net

sponsored by carnegie & nike

Jamie Peacock wrote:
I really wanna beat Saints next week!
I hate Saints, I hate the place, I hate the players, I hate the fans!

Rafa, Feed the left-backs, they will score!

Name and Shame the Catalan Corner Flag Thieves

Given the predicament that Leeds are in over the South Stand and after reading the discussion and feckwitted comments on here I decided to do some of my own investigations as to whether the club should make the South Stand all seated or not. Bit of an Angela Powers style trip around the grounds, however not looking into useless items such as baby changing facilities, much more the atmosphere and appreciation of the supporters. This will continue on a weekly basis and score updated accordingly.

Week 1: Wigan

So after Friday nights bore and lack of atmosphere, I ventured down to the JJB yesterday to see what the supporters of Wigan could offer.
Well, the atmosphere before the game was electric, and the 14000 strong crowd gave their team all their support throughout the game. The Wakefield fans were in good numbers and were also vocal and added to the superb atmosphere at the JJB.

One thing I did note was the outstanding reception given to Wigan and GB legend Ian Lucas at half time when he was invited onto the pitch at half time to conduct the golden gamble draw. As opposed to the half time at Headingley Carnegie, where the South Stand was asked to sing Happy Birthday to Harry Jepson, Current Leeds President, a tireless worker for the club and the game, and Leeds legend, and all of 4 people sang, there was more noise from the North Stand than there was from the “Hardcore Barmy Army!” From my point of view, this was embarrassing, and I was embarrassed to know people in the South Stand that evening. Mr Jepson deserved a much better act of appreciation.

After the game, the Wigan supporters (those that were left) applauded the Wakefield team off after their outstanding efforts in extremely difficult conditions. A very nice show of respect and sportsmanship in my opinion, which is sometimes lacking in modern day sport and society. In this, our family orientated game, this should be applauded, well done Wigan fans.
Well enough of the arguments for this weeks edition, Round one goes to the all seated stand, as the JJB offered much greater sound amplification and atmosphere, as well as appreciation for their clubs’ legend.

South Stand 0 – All Seated Stadia 1
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach872No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 21 200915 yearsN/A
OnlineLast PostLast Page
4th Feb 10 13:221st Jan 70 00:00LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

: Mon Feb 09, 2009 3:28 pm  
What did the pies taste like?
RankPostsTeam
Club Coach2100No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 09 200420 yearsN/A
OnlineLast PostLast Page
7th Jan 14 19:3119th Jul 13 09:49LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
Fantasy Premier League 13/14 It's back again so come join the fun

Cadwch Cymru yn lan. Danfonwch y sbwriel i Loegr!

: Mon Feb 09, 2009 3:30 pm  
Good for Wigan

and when Wigan AFC want there pitch again Wigan Warriors will get kicked out again

Own Ground 1 Shared footy staduim 0
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach14424No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 18 200519 yearsN/A
OnlineLast PostLast Page
25th Mar 16 01:4120th Nov 15 14:38LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
REMEMBER, A TVOC IS FOR LIFE, NOT JUST FOR CHRISTMAS!

Puig-Aubert wrote:
Its just Loz. It may seem a bit childish, sad and cringeworthy but its just his way.

for Puig Aubert's top ten masturbation tips visit

www.sang-et-or.net

sponsored by carnegie & nike

Jamie Peacock wrote:
I really wanna beat Saints next week!
I hate Saints, I hate the place, I hate the players, I hate the fans!

Rafa, Feed the left-backs, they will score!

Name and Shame the Catalan Corner Flag Thieves

: Mon Feb 09, 2009 3:31 pm  
in my opinion, they contained around 20% too much beef connective tissue. Take that out, a dash of salt and a small dollop of heinz ketchup and this situation is resolved!
G1 
RankPostsTeam
International Chairman32302No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 18 200222 yearsN/A
OnlineLast PostLast Page
9th Nov 18 22:523rd Oct 16 16:08LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
Every player in our squad could probably earn more money with another club. But they prefer to sacrifice a few extra quid in their back pocket to share special memories. And playing at a place like Old Trafford on a night like this makes it all worthwhile.

Kevin Sinfield

Cala Millor Rhino wrote:
As opposed to the half time at Headingley Carnegie, where the South Stand was asked to sing Happy Birthday to Harry Jepson, Current Leeds President, a tireless worker for the club and the game, and Leeds legend, and all of 4 people sang, there was more noise from the North Stand than there was from the “Hardcore Barmy Army!” From my point of view, this was embarrassing, and I was embarrassed to know people in the South Stand that evening. Mr Jepson deserved a much better act of appreciation.

I am really glad you've brought this up. It was, as you say, a complete embarrassment. To call the effort of our "legendary" Southstanders half hearted would be a gross exaggeration.

The fabled atmosphere from the Southstand is a complete fallacy. Knock it down and replace it with an all seater stand so we can earn extra revenue and have decent corporate facilities.
RankPostsTeam
Club Coach12106No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 14 200420 yearsN/A
OnlineLast PostLast Page
29th Oct 15 17:1729th Oct 15 17:05LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
OBN Wannabe

Cala Millor Rhino wrote:
Given the predicament that Leeds are in over the South Stand and after reading the discussion and feckwitted comments on here I decided to do some of my own investigations as to whether the club should make the South Stand all seated or not. Bit of an Angela Powers style trip around the grounds, however not looking into useless items such as baby changing facilities, much more the atmosphere and appreciation of the supporters. This will continue on a weekly basis and score updated accordingly.

Week 1: Wigan

So after Friday nights bore and lack of atmosphere, I ventured down to the JJB yesterday to see what the supporters of Wigan could offer.
Well, the atmosphere before the game was electric, and the 14000 strong crowd gave their team all their support throughout the game. The Wakefield fans were in good numbers and were also vocal and added to the superb atmosphere at the JJB.

One thing I did note was the outstanding reception given to Wigan and GB legend Ian Lucas at half time when he was invited onto the pitch at half time to conduct the golden gamble draw. As opposed to the half time at Headingley Carnegie, where the South Stand was asked to sing Happy Birthday to Harry Jepson, Current Leeds President, a tireless worker for the club and the game, and Leeds legend, and all of 4 people sang, there was more noise from the North Stand than there was from the “Hardcore Barmy Army!” From my point of view, this was embarrassing, and I was embarrassed to know people in the South Stand that evening. Mr Jepson deserved a much better act of appreciation.

After the game, the Wigan supporters (those that were left) applauded the Wakefield team off after their outstanding efforts in extremely difficult conditions. A very nice show of respect and sportsmanship in my opinion, which is sometimes lacking in modern day sport and society. In this, our family orientated game, this should be applauded, well done Wigan fans.
Well enough of the arguments for this weeks edition, Round one goes to the all seated stand, as the JJB offered much greater sound amplification and atmosphere, as well as appreciation for their clubs’ legend.

South Stand 0 – All Seated Stadia 1

Probably worth noting that in my experience you usually can't hear anything on the pA at half time in the South Stand, unless it's improved a lot. All you see is a few blokes stood near the North Stand with no idea who they are or why they're there or what you're supposed to do about it.

Might not have made a difference, but functional public address systems are not an exclusive perk of an all-seater stadium.

On a related note, the comparison you're drawing doesn't work as a judgement of all-seater vs standing stadia, if that was it's aim. The JJB is a shiny new ground, the South Stand is about 75 years old. A comparison with the Halliwell Jones would be fairer. Even then, much of your comaprison is actually of the attitudes of two groups of supporters, which you would have a hard time persuading me was largely a reflection on the physical attributes of the stadium.

What you're attempting is a nice idea, but a bit flawed in it's brief and methodology.
RankPostsTeam
Club Owner7631No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jun 16 200321 yearsN/A
OnlineLast PostLast Page
19th Mar 18 13:2419th Jul 16 21:23LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Cala Millor Rhino wrote:
Well, the atmosphere before the game was electric, and the 14000 strong crowd gave their team all their support throughout the game.

Very different views from the Wigan fans on cherryandwhite.
RankPostsTeam
Club Coach12106No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 14 200420 yearsN/A
OnlineLast PostLast Page
29th Oct 15 17:1729th Oct 15 17:05LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
OBN Wannabe

Tony Soprano wrote:
Very different views from the Wigan fans on cherryandwhite.

The BBC report also said they booed the team off at half time. Which doesn't sound like giving the team all their support. Or the BBC reporter lied, which is not impossible I suppose.
mleeds 
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach95No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Nov 14 200617 yearsN/A
OnlineLast PostLast Page
26th Aug 15 16:5826th Aug 15 16:30LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

El Diablo wrote:
Probably worth noting that in my experience you usually can't hear anything on the pA at half time in the South Stand, unless it's improved a lot. All you see is a few blokes stood near the North Stand with no idea who they are or why they're there or what you're supposed to do about it.

That's a very good point. I couldn't make it on Friday, but, in general, the people around me in the South Stand are usually left saying "what" whenever an announcement is made on the PA; its usuallly impossible to hear clearly what is being said.

What I don't get is every now an again it works fine, so I don't know what makes it so poor the rest of the time.
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach9058
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 28 200618 years70th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
11th May 24 19:2824th Apr 24 05:21LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

: Mon Feb 09, 2009 4:09 pm  
Never heard any announcement in the SS about singing happy birthday. If I had, I wouldn't have sung it.
Next

Subject: 
Please note using apple style emoji's can result in posting failures.
Use the FULL EDITOR to better format content or upload images, be notified of replies etc...

Return to Leeds Rhinos

RLFANS Recent Posts
FORUM
LAST
POSTER
Game - Song Titles
Shinedown
2m
Fitzgibbon
Smiffy27
2m
BORED The Band Name Game