FORUMS FORUMS

RLFANS.COM
Celebrating
25 years service to
the Rugby League
Community!

WWW.RLFANS.COM • View topic - Round 15 | vs Leigh Leopards (H)
RankPostsTeam
Moderator9150
JoinedServiceReputation
Aug 15 200618 years121st
OnlineLast PostLast Page
26th Jun 24 09:4225th Jun 24 15:22LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
BELIEVE. BELIEF. BEYOND.

IT AIN'T WHERE YOUR FROM, ITS WHERE YOUR AT.

SWMC Coach's very own timekeeping aficionado & expert stair inspector.

Re: Round 15 | vs Leigh Leopards (H) : Tue Jun 25, 2024 11:40 am  
A fair summing up there.

A game to truly build upon.
RankPostsTeam
Club Captain4575
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 18 20186 years19th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
28th Jun 24 13:5827th Jun 24 22:27LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Round 15 | vs Leigh Leopards (H) : Tue Jun 25, 2024 12:11 pm  
Where I'm also at is that although I am Mr Ultimate Patience, I'm running out of it with Leeds' decisions which have been so hit and miss for nearly a decade now. We won the 2017 title in a miracle year really as so many Goldens signed off, and we rode our luck with Hardaker screwing up at Cas too. We were bad in 2016 though. We jagged a CC win against.. Salford in a weird year.

Other than that it has been a very long time between drinks, some daft decisions on coaches and even dafter decisions on some players. We've either signed crap project players who just haven't worked out, or we've spaffed it on big name players bang out of form and not the right fit for what we needed in the team. For ten years nearly. Meanwhile we've failed to develop enough good young players.

I don't want to be Captain Hindsight but to me the appointment of a Blease is well overdue at Leeds.
Rixy 
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach237
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 28 200816 years301st
OnlineLast PostLast Page
28th Jun 24 16:3225th Jun 24 22:35LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
Not a complete idiot, bits of me are missing

Re: Round 15 | vs Leigh Leopards (H) : Tue Jun 25, 2024 12:16 pm  
KaeruJim wrote:

I don't want to be Captain Hindsight but to me the appointment of a Blease is well overdue at Leeds.

As like the project signings and coaching staff, only time will tell really whether his appointment was a good one or not.
RankPostsTeam
Club Captain4575
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 18 20186 years19th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Round 15 | vs Leigh Leopards (H) : Tue Jun 25, 2024 2:17 pm  
I do love GH for all he's done at Leeds, and nights like the Rob Burrow tribute remind us all what a wonderful club he has had a huge part in building.

We used to sign players like Senior, Ellis, Peacock, Harris, Briscoe, McDermott etc. and every one of them you knew was a real player. Somewhere along the line we've lost the judgement and/or the ambition, and I just think it was high time for someone else to take over the direction of the rugby side.
RankPostsTeam
International Star1840No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Aug 09 201113 years180th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
28th Jun 24 15:0927th Jun 24 17:05LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Round 15 | vs Leigh Leopards (H) : Tue Jun 25, 2024 2:37 pm  
KaeruJim wrote:
I do love GH for all he's done at Leeds, and nights like the Rob Burrow tribute remind us all what a wonderful club he has had a huge part in building.

We used to sign players like Senior, Ellis, Peacock, Harris, Briscoe, McDermott etc. and every one of them you knew was a real player. Somewhere along the line we've lost the judgement and/or the ambition, and I just think it was high time for someone else to take over the direction of the rugby side.

Agree with all that, unfortunately several clubs will be also embarking on a major recruitment campaign. So finding decent players will be difficult. Unfortunately our recruitment needs to be on a major scale. As I have stated many times Smiths recruitment and management has set us back months.
RankPostsTeam
Club Captain4575
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 18 20186 years19th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Round 15 | vs Leigh Leopards (H) : Tue Jun 25, 2024 4:02 pm  
Backwoodsman wrote:
Agree with all that, unfortunately several clubs will be also embarking on a major recruitment campaign. So finding decent players will be difficult. Unfortunately our recruitment needs to be on a major scale. As I have stated many times Smiths recruitment and management has set us back months.

Who would you replace / which positions?
RankPostsTeam
Fringe Player817No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 12 20222 years92nd
OnlineLast PostLast Page
26th Jun 24 22:1325th Jun 24 19:01LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Round 15 | vs Leigh Leopards (H) : Tue Jun 25, 2024 7:01 pm  
KaeruJim wrote:
I've given up predicting too much around academy lads but with McCormack, Lumb, Edgell, Smith, Simpson coming through in the backs, and Littlewood, TNW, Oladipupo, Cassell, Lloyd and some others in the pack, we really do have some good prospects.

You watch Leeds in this game and my overriding feeling was that we look like a side which needs evolution rather than revolution again... but let's be honest, Leigh did roll us through a fair bit of the game, and we only won through some superhuman goal line D and individual brilliance from Croft. I reckon we lose that game in a normal league fixture, and that's just where our squad is currently.

As you say Jim, it can be a guessing game with whether young players come through and if they do , are they average or better.

I agree with your list of the three quarters and I think both Lumb and Ned Mc will make it. Simpson has a lot of potential, can he come back from the injury, who knows. I also think Jack Smith has a chance.

I think Littlewood looks like a proper RL player and I’ll stick my neck out and say he will also make it. I like TNW but think he I simply too small for prop in the modern game. The other 3 you mention are very young and have a way to go before can play SL

In terms of the pack, I think the 3 key ones in the next year or so are Ruan, Hudson and Warren. Ruan is a big, strong unit but I’ve not seen much to suggest he is a natural player, hope I am wrong.

I have no clue about Hudson and Warren, I’ve not seen them live.

We’ve invested a bit in recent years in these 3 plus of course Walters , if none of them come through it will be quite a let down in our recruitment.
Eseh looks much further down the track as Wigan’s 9/10th choice.

I’m sure Blease gets all this as he mentioned the Graham Murray pack in the first press conference. I think he knew where we need to go from the outside.

The other 2 are
Of course Fergus Mc and Sinfield, I can see Sinfield being a Harry Smith type. Fergus has a bit going on and a real chance as well.

It would be great for a bucket load of them to all make it.
RankPostsTeam
Club Captain4575
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 18 20186 years19th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Round 15 | vs Leigh Leopards (H) : Tue Jun 25, 2024 9:17 pm  
Sir Gregory ParsloeP wrote:
As you say Jim, it can be a guessing game with whether young players come through and if they do , are they average or better.

I agree with your list of the three quarters and I think both Lumb and Ned Mc will make it. Simpson has a lot of potential, can he come back from the injury, who knows. I also think Jack Smith has a chance.

I think Littlewood looks like a proper RL player and I’ll stick my neck out and say he will also make it. I like TNW but think he I simply too small for prop in the modern game. The other 3 you mention are very young and have a way to go before can play SL

In terms of the pack, I think the 3 key ones in the next year or so are Ruan, Hudson and Warren. Ruan is a big, strong unit but I’ve not seen much to suggest he is a natural player, hope I am wrong.

I have no clue about Hudson and Warren, I’ve not seen them live.

We’ve invested a bit in recent years in these 3 plus of course Walters , if none of them come through it will be quite a let down in our recruitment.
Eseh looks much further down the track as Wigan’s 9/10th choice.

I’m sure Blease gets all this as he mentioned the Graham Murray pack in the first press conference. I think he knew where we need to go from the outside.

The other 2 are
Of course Fergus Mc and Sinfield, I can see Sinfield being a Harry Smith type. Fergus has a bit going on and a real chance as well.

It would be great for a bucket load of them to all make it.

Agree. I really want TNW to make it because he's a cracking lad and captain material IMO, but he reminds me of Louie McConnell (I think he now plays for Doncaster). He might make a better 13 but there is more competition there than prop.

Sinfield would be in first grade already I reckon except for his D. If he can nail that, he is definitely a chance.

Said it before but I actually think there's a player in Hudson. It's a shame he came to the game so late; it doesn't look like his body can take it. Hopefully he can get and stay fit and we can have a proper look at him.

Want us to sign Eseh; I did before he went to Wigan and I do even more now I've seen him on the field together with Mik. We look very mobile up front with those two on, they complement each other really well.

We'll see if a new coach can drag this squad into better performances this year: but IF we can get the next 2-3 first grade signings right, and our young lads develop, I could see us being up there next year.
RankPostsTeam
First Team Player1119No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 15 20213 years37th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
28th Jun 24 05:2226th Jun 24 23:55LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Round 15 | vs Leigh Leopards (H) : Wed Jun 26, 2024 5:51 am  
Another benefit of having more than one youngster come through at a time is not putting all your eggs in one basket. If Simpson comes back fit and kicks on along with Ned McCormack and maybe Smith, we won't be betting everything on Newman staying fit/not throwing his toys out of the pram. That doesn't mean I'd want rid, but we wouldn't be held to ransom and end up paying overs.

That's why junior development needs to be continual, a lesson lost (amongst many) during the Golden Generation. For every Danny McGuire there are multiple Jordan Lilleys.
RankPostsTeam
Club Captain4575
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 18 20186 years19th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Round 15 | vs Leigh Leopards (H) : Wed Jun 26, 2024 7:20 am  
I will stick my neck out and say that both Presley Cassell and Zak Lloyd will make first grade. Matts knows the junior set up much better than I do but from what I've seen these lads both have what it takes. There are others too with good chances especially in the younger scholarship side.

A back row in a couple of years with a fit Gannon, Cassell, Lloyd, Littlewood will put lots of pressure on the existing first graders. A few lads that haven't made it in recent years basically haven't been big enough - I think the ones coming through now have a great mixture of size and talent. Would include Simpson, Smith, Lumb (once he fills out) in that mix for the backs too. Hudson, Ruan, Warren and a couple of others are also going to be in the mix for 2025 if we retain them.

Anyway lots of positivity for the future in my view, but we still need to fix up some holes in the squad if we're going to progress next year. If we did sign Eseh permanently, it would take immediate pressure off prop but I still think we need a marquee type proper prop to push everyone down the pecking order.
PreviousNext