FORUMS FORUMS

RLFANS.COM
Celebrating
25 years service to
the Rugby League
Community!

WWW.RLFANS.COM • View topic - Widnes Vikings.
faxcar 
RankPostsTeam
International Star4260
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 26 201014 years77th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
2nd May 24 13:4225th Jan 24 22:10LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Widnes Vikings. : Mon Aug 28, 2023 11:52 am  
I didn’t think either pack dominated the other, it was more to do with giving away field position due to unforced errors, penalties, barmy decision making and conceding off the back of it due poor defence.

On the day we did more of it, again :FRUSRATED: and were the worst of 2 poor sides.
RankPostsTeam
International Board Member6342
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 22 200122 years159th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
2nd May 24 09:2829th Apr 24 10:08LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Halifax, the sleeping giants of Rugby League
Signature
AM I RIGHT? I'M NOT WRONG!

Re: Widnes Vikings. : Mon Aug 28, 2023 12:22 pm  
One thing that hasn't been mentioned is yet another poor crowd. Not helped by a very poor turnout by Widnes, I remember when the North Stand used to be opened for them. Maybe 50 in the bottom corner?

I said earlier in the week that we should pack in if we couldn't get a crowd of over 2k for such a crucial match, especially after recent successes against Fev and Batley. But one thing I wasn't aware of until yesterday, is that the "cash" turnstiles mean quite literally CASH. I've always thought this included being able to tap your credit/debit card on a machine but apparently not. Surely this deters quite a few - only a few of us oldies carry cash nowadays. And tapping your card isn't like paying real money (if yer get me drift). I also think a skinny discount of 2 quid for advance tickets may sometimes have the opposite effect - anyone who didn't get round to buying these advance tickets might feel they're getting mugged on the day so won't bother.
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach9346
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 18 200519 years53rd
OnlineLast PostLast Page
2nd May 24 11:351st May 24 08:04LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."― Albert Einstein

"Everybody gets so much information all day long that they lose their common sense." ― Gertrude Stein

"Don't believe everything you read on the internet" ― Abraham Lincoln

Re: Widnes Vikings. : Mon Aug 28, 2023 1:12 pm  
Tony Fax wrote:
One thing that hasn't been mentioned is yet another poor crowd. Not helped by a very poor turnout by Widnes, I remember when the North Stand used to be opened for them. Maybe 50 in the bottom corner?

I said earlier in the week that we should pack in if we couldn't get a crowd of over 2k for such a crucial match, especially after recent successes against Fev and Batley. But one thing I wasn't aware of until yesterday, is that the "cash" turnstiles mean quite literally CASH. I've always thought this included being able to tap your credit/debit card on a machine but apparently not. Surely this deters quite a few - only a few of us oldies carry cash nowadays. And tapping your card isn't like paying real money (if yer get me drift). I also think a skinny discount of 2 quid for advance tickets may sometimes have the opposite effect - anyone who didn't get round to buying these advance tickets might feel they're getting mugged on the day so won't bother.

The new board will be trading in the new suits they bought for wembley after yesterday. They begged to take over and then the year they take over we might finish outside the top 6 leaving a huge financial hole for them to plug, they must be pulling their hair out especially as winning the 1895 will have contributed to that hole as well with a lack of prize money. This feels very much similar to where we were when the club decided to shift Richard Marshall out. I think there would be even more sweating going on if Grix had signed his new contract and we were still in this position.
RankPostsTeam
First Team Player979No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 04 20204 years72nd
OnlineLast PostLast Page
2nd May 24 10:112nd May 24 17:15LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Widnes Vikings. : Mon Aug 28, 2023 2:15 pm  
Greg Florimos Boots wrote:
The new board will be trading in the new suits they bought for wembley after yesterday. They begged to take over and then the year they take over we might finish outside the top 6 leaving a huge financial hole for them to plug, they must be pulling their hair out especially as winning the 1895 will have contributed to that hole as well with a lack of prize money. This feels very much similar to where we were when the club decided to shift Richard Marshall out. I think there would be even more sweating going on if Grix had signed his new contract and we were still in this position.

Wrong , wrong , wrong , stop making up false narratives.
RankPostsTeam
Fringe Player703No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 22 20213 years112th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
29th Apr 24 16:2329th Apr 24 14:55LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Widnes Vikings. : Mon Aug 28, 2023 2:32 pm  
Well the positives first, the supporters trust handing over another much needed cheque for 2 grand good on them and all who contribute. And we will have a new electronic scoreboard for the Toulouse game probably due to the new IMG point scoring format. As for the game WIdnes was the better side and deserved to win by more than 2 points for me. They probably had one of the smallest packs we have faced this season but still rolled us up and down the park which for me led to those problems we had on our left side plus the other issues that have been mentioned. For me a change in coach will not be enough to turn this around for next year, we have a number of players who have been good players for us and played a big part in us getting back to back third place finishes and for some reason do not look like on a consistent basis able to perform at that level anymore. So i think we need a big clear out especially in the pack and a couple of the backs too. I just can not see Liam getting anymore out of some of these players then we have seen so far this year so changes are needed or we will either stand still or go backwards.
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach9346
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 18 200519 years53rd
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."― Albert Einstein

"Everybody gets so much information all day long that they lose their common sense." ― Gertrude Stein

Re: Widnes Vikings. : Mon Aug 28, 2023 2:52 pm  
Listenup94 wrote:
Wrong , wrong , wrong , stop making up false narratives.

Which bit is wrong?

The board approached the old board on numerous occasions asking to take over, begging maybe an overstatement yes.
Finishing outside the top 6 would have financial implications for many reasons wouldnt it? A lot less central funding, crowds down and sponsorship down.
1895 prize money was reported to be next to nothing, coach trips, hotel stays, and win bonuses will have made it a loss for the club. Poor ticket sales and too much merchandise will have contributed as well.
Marshall left when we were around mid table and gone a bit stale didn't he? Feels a little bit familiar would you say?
Do you think as things stand if Grix had signed a new long term deal the board would not be sweating in 8th place and people not turning up through the gates?

As my old mucka would say, am I right? I'm not wrong. :D
RankPostsTeam
First Team Player979No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 04 20204 years72nd
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Widnes Vikings. : Mon Aug 28, 2023 2:58 pm  

The cup run will have created more funds through turnstile revenue alone , split gates of fev , barrow , Bradford, St Helens , London .From this point forward if this forum doesn’t have to be backed up by facts I’m saying what I want some will be true some will be false under the guise of opinion. I’ll start the financial predicament was caused by the owner of Deliveree last seasons sponsorship, he buggered off to Spain leaving historical debt , is it true is it false or is it a mixture of both with hyperbole? Who knows because you can say what the love you want .
faxcar 
RankPostsTeam
International Star4260
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 26 201014 years77th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
2nd May 24 13:4225th Jan 24 22:10LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Widnes Vikings. : Mon Aug 28, 2023 3:01 pm  

We already know some of what the BoD is doing with the clubs finances.

On the field side the new coach is in place as are the bulk of next years playing squad this work has been going on throughout the season before the final league position was known and the finances are already in place to cover it.

On recruitment / finances we’ve seen a clear improvement in the later additions, another one we know of is BD from Eagles and they intend to continue that trend with Liam Finn.

Worse case scenario isn’t all doom and gloom and we get 1 or 2 less but there will be more coming in and they will be of the right quality from who’s available.

It’s been a steep learning curve for the BoD what with coming in and IMG appearing on the scene, it’s no easy job running a rugby league club in the second tier, in the “mugs game league” it’s definitely in the top 2 or 3 even if we aren’t so maybe time to get behind them rather than in their backs.
RankPostsTeam
First Team Player979No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 04 20204 years72nd
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Widnes Vikings. : Mon Aug 28, 2023 3:18 pm  
I went into the shop before Wembley to buy some merchandise, I was greeted by Ian uttley , he tried to persuade me to buy some cups , I wasn’t overly enamoured, he said if I didn’t buy the 150th anniversary cup he wouldn’t be able to afford a wig after the 1895 cup run cost the club so much , he said his wife would leave him because he looked like mick lynch and she hated the railway union because she once missed a train to watch mick gledhills dj night .
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach9346
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 18 200519 years53rd
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature

Re: Widnes Vikings. : Mon Aug 28, 2023 3:30 pm  
Listenup94 wrote:
The cup run will have created more funds through turnstile revenue alone , split gates of fev , barrow , Bradford, St Helens , London .From this point forward if this forum doesn’t have to be backed up by facts I’m saying what I want some will be true some will be false under the guise of opinion. I’ll start the financial predicament was caused by the owner of Deliveree last seasons sponsorship, he buggered off to Spain leaving historical debt , is it true is it false or is it a mixture of both with hyperbole? Who knows because you can say what the love you want .

You know most of it's true what I said when faxcar hasn't gone on all out attack against me. :wink:

Not sure how much you think the club will have made from "split" gates against Fev, Barrow, Bradford, and London although I will admit the club would have at least made a decent profit against Saints. Clubs barely even cover their expenses for cup games when crowds are so low.

So going back to your post where you said I were pushing false naratives, which parts were untrue?
PreviousNext