JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 26 201013 years73rd
OnlineLast PostLast Page
28th Mar 24 09:0925th Jan 24 22:10LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: simon grix : Sat May 01, 2021 7:57 pm  
Everyone has to start somewhere but I was concerned when SG got the job simply because off his lack of experience.
Every coach sees his side have a dip in form from time to time and usually knows how to turn it around from experience.
Not only with SG but there is no one on the coaching staff who has been there and done it when things go bad.
I wonder who SG can turn to for advice because if there isn’t anyone he’s in a real pressure spot at the moment with everyone from club directors, players and supporters all looking at him for what to do next.
RankPostsTeam
International Star483No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Sep 27 201410 years261st
OnlineLast PostLast Page
28th Mar 24 00:2426th Mar 24 23:02LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
My Humble Opinion Only - let the knockers begin.

Part quote from The Beggars Littany by John Taylor circa 16C

From Hell,Hull and Halifax may the Good Lord deliver us.

Re: simon grix : Sun May 02, 2021 12:39 am  
I have kept most of my thoughts to myself recently, as being 8000 miles away, with a sporadic information highway to be able to get accurate information, however:
When I saw the squad that has been assembled I was quite excited that Fax had finally got a real shout at being there or a-bouts the fop of the pile end of season.
As for Mr. Grix, I had a slight concern about his credentials to be coach, especially as there were experienced others out of jobs at the time, however not being privy to the reasons behind his appointment, just had to trust in the decision makers.
Looking at things with a fact on fact view, something is clearly wrong in the dressing room, has the coach lost the respect of the team ?
It will be said he cannot control what happens once the guys are over the line come game day.
Mr. Grix should not need to be sacked, he should walk away penniless, how many of you would receive a payout if you were inept at you job.
Who is out there to take the mantle if Fax need to find a new head coach?
I do not know the pay structure, but in my day ( many years ago and no I did not reach the professional ranks) there was a pay scale for those who did, not just a salary for turning up, but bonus for winning, tries scored, clean sheet, debits for being booked ( sin bin / report now), and almost a hanging if you got an early bath.
Would this work in today’s game? I don t know the answer to that, however I do know the 17 should refuse the pay packet, no disrespect to Oldham but...
Finally, where I reside “our league “is not available, ( even with a VPN the Great Wall is still alive and well) not sure I want it to with Fax at the present situation.
As it says in my profile, bring on the knockers!!!
RankPostsTeam
Club Captain129No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 28 20195 years279th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
28th Mar 24 23:5826th Mar 24 08:47LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: simon grix : Sun May 02, 2021 3:17 am  
The concerning point for me was that he couldn't get a response from them. Last week, York had lost 2 on the bounce, one to Sheffield which I am sure they thought would win; they put 60 on Swinton. We never struggled to make metres yesterday and yes, we made error after error in their 20, but we seemed unable to turn any momentum towards us. Oldham won on making fewer errors and if we were being ruthless, both teams were terrible. People don't have patience with Grix because our expectations are related to our previous history: we were a winning team over several seasons. There was nothing catastrophic to indicate that Grix had his hands tied to his back in fact when Marshall got sacked, we was two-points of the playoffs. The evidence was there that season, won first 5 out of 6 and then 2 of the last 12. I think people even forget last year, although only 4 games, that was his squad and apart from one game against York, we were average a best. To make the playoffs, you'rere looking to win anything from 55%-65% of your games. We, therefore, need to win anything from 11 - 15 of our last 18 games. For me, we don't look like we are going to achieve that.
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach9330
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 18 200519 years51st
OnlineLast PostLast Page
28th Mar 24 22:2428th Mar 24 08:16LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."― Albert Einstein

"Everybody gets so much information all day long that they lose their common sense." ― Gertrude Stein

"Don't believe everything you read on the internet" ― Abraham Lincoln

Re: simon grix : Sun May 02, 2021 8:20 am  
SingaporeFax wrote:
The concerning point for me was that he couldn't get a response from them. Last week, York had lost 2 on the bounce, one to Sheffield which I am sure they thought would win; they put 60 on Swinton. We never struggled to make metres yesterday and yes, we made error after error in their 20, but we seemed unable to turn any momentum towards us. Oldham won on making fewer errors and if we were being ruthless, both teams were terrible. People don't have patience with Grix because our expectations are related to our previous history: we were a winning team over several seasons. There was nothing catastrophic to indicate that Grix had his hands tied to his back in fact when Marshall got sacked, we was two-points of the playoffs. The evidence was there that season, won first 5 out of 6 and then 2 of the last 12. I think people even forget last year, although only 4 games, that was his squad and apart from one game against York, we were average a best. To make the playoffs, you'rere looking to win anything from 55%-65% of your games. We, therefore, need to win anything from 11 - 15 of our last 18 games. For me, we don't look like we are going to achieve that.

Spot on literally no response to last weeks drubbing. As you say about the standard on show, it looked like two teams of relegation standard playing each other.

Good players do not always make good coaches and good coaches were not always good players. We seem to be in the habit of testing our ex players to see if that is true. Next time let other teams test and go for someone with actual coaching experience of leading a team.
RankPostsTeam
Club Captain129No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 28 20195 years279th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
28th Mar 24 23:5826th Mar 24 08:47LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: simon grix : Sun May 02, 2021 9:10 am  
Greg Florimos Boots wrote:
Spot on literally no response to last weeks drubbing. As you say about the standard on show, it looked like two teams of relegation standard playing each other.

Good players do not always make good coaches and good coaches were not always good players. We seem to be in the habit of testing our ex players to see if that is true. Next time let other teams test and go for someone with actual coaching experience of leading a team.

Spot on.

Just reviewing all the games Grix has been in charge of (sad I know); apart from the start, winning 5 of the first six, we've won 5 of the last 24 competitive games. We are a losing club, with clearly losing habits. I don't think you turn that around quickly. It's easier to see a trajectory if we were underperforming beforehand under Marshall but we weren't. We are not marginally but SIGNIFICANTLY worse under Grix right now.
RankPostsTeam
First Team Player287No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jul 13 20204 years247th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
12th Mar 24 16:3612th Mar 24 10:45LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: simon grix : Sun May 02, 2021 9:17 am  
The real problem was never Harrison Calland Ball Anderson Marshall or Grix ,although all had rectifiable faults all had positives as well . It's about working with people .not destroying them , when you sit down this week BOD you will see the real problem straight in front of you .
RankPostsTeam
International Star4626
JoinedServiceReputation
Nov 05 201112 years99th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
28th Mar 24 21:4328th Mar 24 11:42LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
Hear All, See All, Say Nowt.
Eat All, Sup All, Pay Nowt.
And if Tha ever does Owt for Nowt,
Allus do it for Thissen.

Re: simon grix : Sun May 02, 2021 9:18 am  
Greg Florimos Boots wrote:

It's called the cheap option. :(
RankPostsTeam
International Board Member4146
JoinedServiceReputation
Jun 17 200222 years284th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
18th Apr 22 17:211st Apr 22 12:30LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
She carries on through it all......
She's a Waterfall

Re: simon grix : Sun May 02, 2021 9:39 am  
Hudd-Shay wrote:
It's called the cheap option. :(

Indeed Pete, it is.
faxcar 
RankPostsTeam
International Star4260
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 26 201013 years73rd
OnlineLast PostLast Page
28th Mar 24 09:0925th Jan 24 22:10LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: simon grix : Sun May 02, 2021 1:30 pm  
Another telling factor regarding experience as a group is within the dressing room.
Anybody who has ever played the game and joined a new club will know it takes time to bond and to feel at home.
The first few weeks and thus games you can and do feel and play like an individual instead of part of a unit.
At the moment you have a dressing room where a good few haven’t been together long enough to feel settled and build that teamwork steel and spirit that pulls you together and I believe that’s why they look lost, their playing as individuals.
When the game goes against you SG is struggling to cope and so are they.
Last edited by faxcar on Sun May 02, 2021 4:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RankPostsTeam
Fringe Player685No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 22 20213 years107th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
28th Mar 24 17:3028th Mar 24 15:39LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: simon grix : Sun May 02, 2021 3:23 pm  
Rotherham Fev Fan wrote:
Terry.... if you want to try and score points on fev.... feel free cocker. But this thread isn't about fev.
As I said earlier, you can vent your spleen as oft as you like. That is entirely your perogative.
BUT, it does not negate from the current issues facing fax. Grix, like those before him and in all likelihood those that succeed him, is hampered by the lack of available resources to take fax beyond where they are.
You may disagree. C'est la vie.

I am not trying to score points of fev quite the opposite i was paying your club a compliment but you take every thing i say as a insult to fev when i have got a lot of time for your club but you dont seem to get that. As for the lack of resources i am well aware of were we stand financially but despite this we have finished in the top 4 seven times since 2010 that is not a bad record and that is all i think we should have a very good chance of doing this season but we are a million miles away with are performances we have more chance of being relegated then achieving that and i dont accept that our level is fighting relegation
PreviousNext