JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 22 200122 years74th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
22nd May 24 21:3321st May 24 21:27LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
"If you start listening to the fans it won't be long before you're sitting with them," - Wayne Bennett.

Re: Best you have seen : Fri Oct 13, 2023 5:22 pm  
The story I heard was that he tested positive for weed but claimed he'd smoked it passively at a jazz venue.

That's some excuse!
RankPostsTeam
International Board Member6350
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 22 200122 years156th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
22nd May 24 14:4820th May 24 09:46LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Halifax, the sleeping giants of Rugby League
Signature
AM I RIGHT? I'M NOT WRONG!

Re: Best you have seen : Fri Oct 13, 2023 6:33 pm  
terry silver wrote:
What happened with Dave watson at Fax. The story i was told was Fax knew he was going to fail a drugs test so they sold him to Bradford then boom he fails that test and Bradford have forked out for him and he is banned from playing. If that is wrong i would be interested to hear the true story if anyone knows.

I think bullseye may be right about the passive smoking theory but I thought it was in a car with his mates. I also heard Fax's owner at the time Tony Gartland (no relation) wasn't happy at the antics of Watson, Warren Wilson and Greg Pierce.
RankPostsTeam
Moderator31617
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 22 200122 years74th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
22nd May 24 21:3321st May 24 21:27LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
"If you start listening to the fans it won't be long before you're sitting with them," - Wayne Bennett.

Re: Best you have seen : Fri Oct 13, 2023 8:40 pm  
It's not exactly a performance enhancing drug is it?
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach9365
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 18 200519 years55th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
22nd May 24 21:0420th May 24 14:23LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."― Albert Einstein

"Everybody gets so much information all day long that they lose their common sense." ― Gertrude Stein

"Don't believe everything you read on the internet" ― Abraham Lincoln

Re: Best you have seen : Sun Oct 15, 2023 8:39 am  
terry silver wrote:
What happened with Dave watson at Fax. The story i was told was Fax knew he was going to fail a drugs test so they sold him to Bradford then boom he fails that test and Bradford have forked out for him and he is banned from playing. If that is wrong i would be interested to hear the true story if anyone knows.

My memory seems to think he was banned while playing at Fax and it were Bradford that brought him back but its such a long time ago. I just remember him been such an amazing talent and a really good bloke off the field, had some good days/weekends with him and Greg Pierce, both great characters but opened my eyes to the realisation that rugby players were not squaeky clean. :lol:
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach9365
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 18 200519 years55th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."― Albert Einstein

"Everybody gets so much information all day long that they lose their common sense." ― Gertrude Stein

Re: Best you have seen : Sun Oct 15, 2023 8:43 am  
terry silver wrote:
You have pretty much covered my time supporting fax. So it would be Schuster and Austin for me, and i would give a mention to Diao powell in 98. I thought for just that season he was a handful before he left as part of the Pinkney swap deal.

Powell probably a name a lot of people would overlook but he was so good that season and a very big part of why we were able to finish 3rd. I think he just wanted somewhere to enjoy his rugby after all the stuff that had gone down in Aus and he became a formidable force for us in the centre.
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach9365
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 18 200519 years55th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature

Re: Best you have seen : Sun Oct 15, 2023 9:04 am  
Just to list a few more I have enjoyed over the years, I think Ian Wilkinson had at least 1 good season for us at Centre possibly after making the move from second row. A big unit with a nice change of pace. I know Warren Wilson has been mentioned and I think he had a few games there but who can forget his match winner over at Wakefield(That is unless you had left the ground, I know someone reading this who had done just that :D ) and also who can forget his tackle on Les Quirk up at Thrum Hall basically putting him in the wall. Im not sure Quirk played much after that.

Greame Hallas a frustrating player at times but another who at times was very good for us and was fun to watch. Peewee another who got mentioned previously and another who was in the rec drugs group but again on his day he had a lot of class about him able to cover multpile positions and that kick from the touchline you wouldn't have wanted anyone else taking it at that time. I mentioned Florimo on the other thread and from a technical stand point he was probably the best centre that we had although it was a one season thing because Wigan paid off his contract but I still rank Austin and Schuster as my top 2. On another point anyone remember Schuster's first game over at Hull? He missed a kick straight in front of the posts and had us all wondering what the hell we had signed. Little did we know.

As for others Donlan I'm really not sure how he didn't get more England honors I think he maybe got some lower rep game but never anything more. Not really had many that stand out in this division but Varks had a really good season for us at centre and bagged a good number of tries for us. I seem to remember him moving to a SL club after us? Thats a question for another day as I don't think we have had too many that have done that since we dropped down. Lee Patterson worth a mention as he had a bit of a run at centre and Dylan Nash who was nuts but a really good player to watch play and then the late Ben Heaton who you couldn't help not to like as he was giving 100% every single time on the pitch, I mean who in their right mind throws pretty much a dislocated shoulder in the way of Menzie Yere to try and stop him a yard or two from your own line. People were always going to like him. I also think we look back in a few seasons and realise what a good player we had in Greg Worthington, not your attacking centre like a lot of those mentioned but nobody got past him.
cowfax 
RankPostsTeam
International Star321No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 02 201113 years243rd
OnlineLast PostLast Page
22nd May 24 21:571st May 24 08:12LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: Best you have seen : Sun Oct 15, 2023 9:12 am  
Ben Heaton was a coaches dream. 100% every game and very rarely made a mistake. I had forgotten about him. One of the best we have had in the post SL era. Just to think he came as a fullback!

I also liked Worthington , just short of pace but could put a winger away and a very strong defender.
RankPostsTeam
International Board Member6350
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 22 200122 years156th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
22nd May 24 14:4820th May 24 09:46LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Halifax, the sleeping giants of Rugby League
Signature
AM I RIGHT? I'M NOT WRONG!

Re: Best you have seen : Sun Oct 15, 2023 10:52 am  
Greg Florimos Boots wrote:
I know Warren Wilson has been mentioned and I think he had a few games there but who can forget his match winner over at Wakefield(That is unless you had left the ground, I know someone reading this who had done just that .

If I remember rightly, it was a freezing day and Fax scored 2 very late tries to win it 19-14, one from Austin then Preston laid on the pass for Wilson to emphatically dive to score the try as he tried to get nearer the posts (which he didn't need to do!!!) and I thought he was gonna ground the ball beyond the in goal area!

I also remember Schuster's kicking being really naff when he first arrived, missing a couple of sitters at Thrum Hall, but he was known as "Radar Legs" at Newcastle Knights (not Thunder!) so he was always going to come good, so god knows why he was so bad at first. Probably the best kicker to pull on a Fax shirt.
Previous