RLFANS.COM
Celebrating
22 years service to
the Rugby League
Community!
WWW.RLFANS.COM • View topic - Covid Christmas Chaos
::Off-topic discussion.
Re: Covid Christmas Chaos Wed Dec 30, 2020 4:10 pm  

Zoo Zoo Boom wrote:
Zoo Zoo Boom Strong-running second rower
Strong-running second rower

Joined: Fri Dec 11, 2020 9:38 am
Posts: 359
wire-quin wrote:
I think it's easy to forget that the early mess we found ourselves in was due to a lack of a pandemic management strategy and a shortage of PPE. Hunt was the previous Health minister and as such picks up a significant proportion of the blame(As does Burnham! albeit from some years ago)


Hunt had some difficult decisions to make - the Tories came into power with a financial crisis on their hands - not solely Labour's fault - to cash was squeezed. The NHS has a finite amount of money so how do you make the best use of the funding?

Do you invest in PPE just in case of a potential pamdemic - last one was around the time of the 1st world war or do you spend the money on the here and now - treat cataracts, hip replacements etc? Hindsight is great thing - ask Brown when he ordered all those vaccines. This wasn't incompetence it was an informed decision based on a set of circumstances.

Not sure you can blame Burnham
Re: Covid Christmas Chaos Tue Jan 05, 2021 11:31 am  

User avatarBullseye wrote:
Bullseye User avatar
100% League Network
100% League Network

Joined: Sat Dec 22, 2001 12:04 pm
Posts: 30129
Location: The Corridor of Uncertainty
Zoo Zoo Boom wrote:
Hunt had some difficult decisions to make - the Tories came into power with a financial crisis on their hands - not solely Labour's fault - to cash was squeezed. The NHS has a finite amount of money so how do you make the best use of the funding?

Do you invest in PPE just in case of a potential pamdemic - last one was around the time of the 1st world war or do you spend the money on the here and now - treat cataracts, hip replacements etc? Hindsight is great thing - ask Brown when he ordered all those vaccines. This wasn't incompetence it was an informed decision based on a set of circumstances.

Not sure you can blame Burnham


Actually a Flu Pandemic has been the most serious risk on the National Risk Register since 2004 - above everything including terrorism, floods etc. Government investment in a central buffer stock of PPE has been a lynchpin of response plans since then. This is because economies of scale make it better that they maintain large supplies of "in date" PPE rather than individual hospitals and GP Practises. Hospitals were literally told to only buy small amounts to tide them over until the central stocks were released.

Unfortunately we saw for ourselves that investment in the central buffer stock hadn't been what it should be when orders couldn't be processed due to shortages and we received items that were years past their expiry date and utterly unsuitable or unsafe. I could tell you stories that would make your hair stand on end.

While Covid19 wasn't influenza the PPE required was much the same as would've been needed for a flu pandemic.

I hope this particular part of the shambles isn't forgotten about when the public enquiry is held.
"If you start listening to the fans it won't be long before you're sitting with them," - Wayne Bennett.
Re: Covid Christmas Chaos Tue Jan 05, 2021 8:24 pm  
WestEndThinker Strong-running second rower
Strong-running second rower

Joined: Mon Sep 14, 2020 5:38 am
Posts: 381
Bullseye wrote:
Actually a Flu Pandemic has been the most serious risk on the National Risk Register since 2004 - above everything including terrorism, floods etc. Government investment in a central buffer stock of PPE has been a lynchpin of response plans since then. This is because economies of scale make it better that they maintain large supplies of "in date" PPE rather than individual hospitals and GP Practises. Hospitals were literally told to only buy small amounts to tide them over until the central stocks were released.

Unfortunately we saw for ourselves that investment in the central buffer stock hadn't been what it should be when orders couldn't be processed due to shortages and we received items that were years past their expiry date and utterly unsuitable or unsafe. I could tell you stories that would make your hair stand on end.

While Covid19 wasn't influenza the PPE required was much the same as would've been needed for a flu pandemic.

I hope this particular part of the shambles isn't forgotten about when the public enquiry is held.



would that be a GLOBAL PUBLIC ENQUIRY?
Re: Covid Christmas Chaos Wed Jan 06, 2021 10:31 am  

User avatarBullseye wrote:
Bullseye User avatar
100% League Network
100% League Network

Joined: Sat Dec 22, 2001 12:04 pm
Posts: 30129
Location: The Corridor of Uncertainty
WestEndThinker wrote:
would that be a GLOBAL PUBLIC ENQUIRY?


I'm not with you. What?
"If you start listening to the fans it won't be long before you're sitting with them," - Wayne Bennett.
Re: Covid Christmas Chaos Wed Jan 06, 2021 10:47 am  
WestEndThinker Strong-running second rower
Strong-running second rower

Joined: Mon Sep 14, 2020 5:38 am
Posts: 381
Bullseye wrote:
I'm not with you. What?

Well, the WHO have been blocked from China, nearly 2 million will have died worldwide, so why would an anti-tory UK public enquiry be sufficient?

other than to suit the political agenda of some on here?
Re: Covid Christmas Chaos Wed Jan 06, 2021 11:56 am  

Zoo Zoo Boom wrote:
Zoo Zoo Boom Strong-running second rower
Strong-running second rower

Joined: Fri Dec 11, 2020 9:38 am
Posts: 359
You would hope a open enquiry would set a platform of excellence in dealing with a future large scale public health emergency.

There is no doubt this government has not covered itself in glory and it doesn't seem to learning from its passed mistakes i.e. over promising.

There isn't a government in the world that couldn't have done a better job it is just a matter of highlighting those areas and developing a more appropriate solution.
Re: Covid Christmas Chaos Wed Jan 06, 2021 3:38 pm  

User avatarBullseye wrote:
Bullseye User avatar
100% League Network
100% League Network

Joined: Sat Dec 22, 2001 12:04 pm
Posts: 30129
Location: The Corridor of Uncertainty
WestEndThinker wrote:
Well, the WHO have been blocked from China, nearly 2 million will have died worldwide, so why would an anti-tory UK public enquiry be sufficient?

other than to suit the political agenda of some on here?


I think there's more to be gained by learning lessons in time for the next pandemic. To not do it because it might hurt someone's feelings isn't a valid excuse.
"If you start listening to the fans it won't be long before you're sitting with them," - Wayne Bennett.
Re: Covid Christmas Chaos Wed Jan 06, 2021 8:47 pm  
WestEndThinker Strong-running second rower
Strong-running second rower

Joined: Mon Sep 14, 2020 5:38 am
Posts: 381
Bullseye wrote:
I think there's more to be gained by learning lessons in time for the next pandemic. To not do it because it might hurt someone's feelings isn't a valid excuse.

you mean like we learned from fake WMD, selling off gold at a record low, or do you mean a chance to try and give the Conservatives a bloody nose. Ypur aim is as flimsy as the basis for your politics.

Anyway,enough said, this is getting boring,green user names intimidating people.
Re: Covid Christmas Chaos Thu Jan 07, 2021 4:54 pm  

User avatarwrencat1873 wrote:
wrencat1873 User avatar
Gold RLFANS Member
Gold RLFANS Member

Joined: Sun Apr 24, 2011 7:28 pm
Posts: 15854
WestEndThinker wrote:
Well, the WHO have been blocked from China, nearly 2 million will have died worldwide, so why would an anti-tory UK public enquiry be sufficient?

other than to suit the political agenda of some on here?


To find out what has been done well and what could be done better in future :shock:

The UK cant control what happens in China but, it can take some "learning" from what happens over here (understatement).
Re: Covid Christmas Chaos Thu Jan 07, 2021 5:08 pm  

User avatarBullseye wrote:
Bullseye User avatar
100% League Network
100% League Network

Joined: Sat Dec 22, 2001 12:04 pm
Posts: 30129
Location: The Corridor of Uncertainty
WestEndThinker wrote:
you mean like we learned from fake WMD, selling off gold at a record low, or do you mean a chance to try and give the Conservatives a bloody nose. Ypur aim is as flimsy as the basis for your politics.

Anyway,enough said, this is getting boring,green user names intimidating people.


Thankfully nobody cares about your opinion.
"If you start listening to the fans it won't be long before you're sitting with them," - Wayne Bennett.
PreviousNext

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 44 guests

Quick Reply



Subject:
Message:

   
Please note using apple style emoji's can result in posting failures.

Return to The Sin Bin


POSTSONLINEMEMBERSRECORDTEAM
5,168,11572478,6216,308LOGIN
LOGIN HERE
or REGISTER for more features!.
When you register you get access to the live match scores, live match chat and you can post in the discussions on the forums.
YOU HAVE RL CHAT OFF
RLFANS Match Centre
Mon 14th Jun
NRL RND: 14 Canterbury28-6St.George
Sun 13th Jun
WSL RND: 5 Hudds W8-44Wire W
NRL RND: 14 NZ Warriors16-42Melbourne
NRL RND: 14 Parramatta40-12Wests
CH RND: 9 Dewsbury12-56Toulouse
CH RND: 9 Featherstone44-0Bradford
CH RND: 9 Halifax30-6York
CH RND: 9 Swinton30-36Newcastle
CH RND: 9 Whitehaven20-24Batley
CH RND: 9 Widnes22-24LondonB
L1 RND: 6 Coventry12-30Workington
L1 RND: 6 Keighley70-12West Wales
L1 RND: 6 Crusaders0-68Doncaster
Sat 12th Jun
SL RND: 9 Leigh30-36Catalans
NRL RND: 14 Gold Coast34-35Sydney
NRL RND: 14 Souths24-10Newcastle
NRL RND: 14 Canberra38-16Brisbane
CH RND: 9 Oldham28-32Sheffield
L1 RND: 6 Barrow40-4Rochdale
L1 RND: 6 LondonS10-62Hunslet
This is an inplay table and positions can change as matches are in play.
National Rugby League 2021 ROUND : 14
 PLDFADIFFPTS
Melbourne 14 472 178 294 24
Penrith 14 418 133 285 24
Parramatta 14 400 224 176 22
Souths 13 341 282 59 20
Sydney 13 379 223 156 18
Manly 13 315 282 33 14
 
St.George 14 299 312 -13 12
NQL Cowboys 13 264 383 -119 12
Cronulla 13 244 298 -54 10
Gold Coast 14 318 380 -62 10
Canberra 13 257 321 -64 10
NZ Warriors 13 281 347 -66 10
Wests 14 292 374 -82 10
Newcastle 14 231 366 -135 10
Brisbane 14 232 436 -204 6
Canterbury 13 162 366 -204 4
This is an inplay table and positions can change as matches are in play.
Betfred Super League XXVI ROUND : 9
 PLDFADIFFPTSDIFFWP%
Catalans 9 268 142 126 16 188.73 88.89
St.Helens 8 206 70 136 14 294.29 87.50
Wigan 8 158 136 22 14 116.18 87.50
Warrington 9 302 157 145 13 192.36 72.22
Hull FC 9 179 143 36 11 125.17 61.11
Hull KR 9 223 204 19 10 109.31 55.56
 
Castleford 9 185 232 -47 8 79.74 44.44
Leeds 8 150 136 14 6 110.29 37.50
Huddersfield 8 150 162 -12 6 92.59 37.50
Wakefield 9 163 231 -68 4 70.56 22.22
Salford 9 106 289 -183 2 36.68 11.11
Leigh 9 134 322 -188 0 41.61 0
This is an inplay table and positions can change as matches are in play.
Betfred Championship 2021 ROUND : 9
 PLDFADIFFPTSDIFFWP%
Toulouse 7 347 70 277 14 495.71 100
Featherstone 8 306 76 230 16 402.63 100
Bradford 9 228 216 12 14 105.56 77.78
Batley 8 228 160 68 12 142.50 75
LondonB 9 226 216 10 11 104.63 61.11
Halifax 9 271 135 136 10 200.74 55.56
 
York 9 219 180 39 8 121.67 44.44
Sheffield 9 211 249 -38 8 84.74 44.44
Widnes 9 226 263 -37 7 85.93 38.89
Dewsbury 8 115 227 -112 6 50.66 37.50
Newcastle 8 168 246 -78 5 68.29 31.25
Whitehaven 9 160 278 -118 5 57.55 27.78
Oldham 9 134 330 -196 4 40.61 22.22
Swinton 9 152 345 -193 0 44.06 0
This is an inplay table and positions can change as matches are in play.
Betfred League One 2021 ROUND : 5
 PLDFADIFFPTSDIFFWP%
Barrow 5 211 62 149 10 340.32 100
Workington 5 180 94 86 8 191.49 80
Doncaster 5 182 126 56 8 144.44 80
Coventry 4 106 114 -8 4 92.98 50
Keighley 5 158 135 23 4 117.04 40
Rochdale 5 157 156 1 4 100.64 40
 
Crusaders 5 122 150 -28 4 81.33 40
Hunslet 5 84 137 -53 4 61.31 40
LondonS 4 104 150 -46 2 69.33 25
West Wales 5 70 250 -180 0 28 0
This is an inplay table and positions can change as matches are in play.
Betfred Womens Super League 2021 ROUND : 5
 PLDFADIFFPTSDIFFWP%
St.HelensW 3 230 6 224 6 3,833.33 100
LeedsW 3 214 22 192 6 972.73 100
WiganW 3 158 18 140 6 877.78 100
CastlefordW 3 104 24 80 6 433.33 100
YorkW 3 76 102 -26 2 74.51 33.33
Wire W 4 86 154 -68 2 55.84 25
 
FeatherstoneW 4 74 164 -90 2 45.12 25
BradfordW 4 60 180 -120 2 33.33 25
Hudds W 4 46 222 -176 2 20.72 25
WakefieldW 3 16 172 -156 0 9.30 0
RLFANS Recent Posts




X