FORUMS FORUMS

RLFANS.COM
Celebrating
25 years service to
the Rugby League
Community!

WWW.RLFANS.COM • View topic - coronavirus and sport ?
::Off-topic discussion.
RankPostsTeam
Moderator12565
JoinedServiceReputation
Jun 01 200717 years119th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
18th Mar 24 22:5117th Mar 24 10:56LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
'Thus I am tormented by my curiosity and humbled by my ignorance.' from History of an Old Bramin, The New York Mirror (A Weekly Journal Devoted to Literature and the Fine Arts), February 16th 1833.

Re: coronavirus and sport ? : Tue May 12, 2020 11:04 pm  
Cronus wrote:
Many, many people have Mein Kampf on their shelves, Mao's Little Red Book and feck knows what else.'.

Do they? I mean, don’t get me wrong I’ve read biographies of Stalin and Mao, but I’ve never had any interest in reading their writings. It’s not like these (e.g. Mein Kampf) are books that you stumble across in Waterstones or that normal friends and family get you for your birthday.

While historians with a interest in the area have legitimate use for it, who else is reading Mein Kampf? Apart from the obvious, but even now I’d like to think there aren’t many, many of them.
Cronus 
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach7152
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 30 200519 yearsN/A
OnlineLast PostLast Page
4th Dec 20 18:2622nd Jun 20 21:45LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: coronavirus and sport ? : Tue May 12, 2020 11:49 pm  
Mild Rover wrote:
Do they? I mean, don’t get me wrong I’ve read biographies of Stalin and Mao, but I’ve never had any interest in reading their writings. It’s not like these (e.g. Mein Kampf) are books that you stumble across in Waterstones or that normal friends and family get you for your birthday.

While historians with a interest in the area have legitimate use for it, who else is reading Mein Kampf? Apart from the obvious, but even now I’d like to think there aren’t many, many of them.

I've read it, a friend's copy. And yes I've seen it on many bookshelves. With a modern mindset I found it cliched and dull. It was purely out of historical interest - around the same time I read Speer's book, and many more by the likes of Martin Gilbert, Antony Beevor, Max Hastings, James Holland and others. I tend to go through phases - WW1, WW2, Victorian Britain, ancient Britain, ancient Romans, Greeks, Persians, Egyptians, etc, etc... There are some truly wonderful historical books out there. Some less so.

The point is that having a book written by someone who later became a bit nutty is only worth commenting on as a matter of interest: "didn't he go a bit batsht loony?". Unless you genuinely think Gove saw it and thought, "great stuff, he's now a holocaust denier, I could get on board with that"?
RankPostsTeam
Moderator12565
JoinedServiceReputation
Jun 01 200717 years119th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
18th Mar 24 22:5117th Mar 24 10:56LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
'Thus I am tormented by my curiosity and humbled by my ignorance.' from History of an Old Bramin, The New York Mirror (A Weekly Journal Devoted to Literature and the Fine Arts), February 16th 1833.

Re: coronavirus and sport ? : Wed May 13, 2020 7:24 am  
Cronus wrote:
And yes I've seen it on many bookshelves.

I’ve seen my share of bookshelves but I don’t ever recall seeing a copy anywhere other than in news reports. And I feel like it is the sort of thing I would recall.
RankPostsTeam
Club Coach17868
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 24 201113 years45th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
18th Mar 24 13:3918th Mar 24 11:24LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: coronavirus and sport ? : Wed May 13, 2020 8:05 am  
Cronus wrote:
Nope. I have a book written by a Nazi on my book shelf, a fact I'm sure the mob on here will love. :)

Albert Speer's 'Inside the Third Reich'. Fascinating read, even if he does bend the truth to minimise his culpability.

I knew there was a reason that you voted Brexit :wink:
Cronus 
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach7152
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 30 200519 yearsN/A
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: coronavirus and sport ? : Wed May 13, 2020 11:26 am  
wrencat1873 wrote:
I knew there was a reason that you voted Brexit :wink:

RLFans wouldn't be half as much fun if I hadn't. :)
RankPostsTeam
Club Coach17868
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 24 201113 years45th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: coronavirus and sport ? : Wed May 13, 2020 3:43 pm  
Cronus wrote:
RLFans wouldn't be half as much fun if I hadn't. :)

Yeah, it seems like the "cliff edge" prediction was right too ?
You'll be telling us that, it's got nothing to do with Brexit and finding something or someone else to blame, just as I said you would :wink:
RankPostsTeam
International Star4641
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 25 201014 years183rd
OnlineLast PostLast Page
17th Mar 24 08:2514th Mar 24 11:07LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
"Back home we got a taxidermy man. He gonna have a heart attack when he see what I brung him."

Re: coronavirus and sport ? : Tue May 26, 2020 10:32 pm  
Anyone been looking back at the Prof. John Ashton timeline of events?

He basically said exactly what would happen on Question Time back in early March, and was of course ridiculed, especially when he was found to have Labour connections.

Many right wing social media accounts jumped straight on him. One described him as a 'loony hardcore Corbynista lefty', so of course, the smears gained traction. There was the usual anti-semitic smear, various pastings in the tabloids, and calls not to politicise the situation. They also got him on the old 'labour activist' smear when he appeared on Panorama.

Anyway, turns out he was bang on.

It's an interesting rabbit hole to disappear down. Start with Question Time on March 12, then look at social media and news articles from after the show. This article from a month later gives a decent roundup of what happened, there's a clip from his appearance on QT, too.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/p ... ssion=true

Here are some tweets from the show on March 12. Have a look at some of the replies. It's 'the public have had enough of experts' in a nutshell. Also check out Fiona Bruce's face of disdain when he mentions care homes in the second tweet's video.

https://mobile.twitter.com/bbcquestiont ... 9689631745

https://mobile.twitter.com/bbcquestiont ... 8089369601

He basically said exactly what would happen on Question Time back in early March, and was of course ridiculed, especially when he was found to have Labour connections.

Many right wing social media accounts jumped straight on him. One described him as a 'loony hardcore Corbynista lefty', so of course, the smears gained traction. There was the usual anti-semitic smear, various pastings in the tabloids, and calls not to politicise the situation. They also got him on the old 'labour activist' smear when he appeared on Panorama.

It's an interesting rabbit hole to disappear down. Start with Question Time on March 12, then look at social media and news articles from after the show. This article from a month later gives a decent roundup of what happened, there's a clip from his appearance on QT, too.

Here are some tweets from the show on March 12. Have a look at some of the replies. It's 'the public have had enough of experts' in a nutshell. Also check out Fiona Bruce's face of disdain when he mentions care homes in the second tweet's video.

Cronus 
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach7152
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 30 200519 yearsN/A
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: coronavirus and sport ? : Wed May 27, 2020 12:39 pm  
King Street Cat wrote:

As requested. :)

I remember his appearance and he was absolutely correct. But hindsight is a wonderful thing. I was well aware of the effect of CV19 around the world from the get-go as I was dealing with the effects of travel/border restrictions every day and watching as country by country the situation deepened.

It's worth recalling that even in early March, many eminent scientists still viewed this as another SARS/MERS - nasty but possible to contain and eliminate fairly successfully. We easily forget this is a new virus. Antigen and antibody tests barely existed, certainly not in large number, and those that did were often not accurate enough. The nature of the virus was largely unknown. We didn't know exactly what it did or exactly how infectious it was - something underestimated globally due to the fact people can be shedding whilst asymptomatic, unlike SARS/MERS. There's still a lot about it we don't know.

The West hadn't experienced SARS/MERS, unlike many countries in Asia, who therefore had responses and facilities in place for precisely such an event. Leaping into action wasn't as simple for us. That said, I've said before we were too late locking down and we could have done more.

I have no particular love for Fiona Bruce but you're seeing something that's not there. She simply looks at her notes and the audience and gives a little sigh. It's certainly not aimed at the mention of care homes.
King Street Cat wrote:

I remember his appearance and he was absolutely correct. But hindsight is a wonderful thing. I was well aware of the effect of CV19 around the world from the get-go as I was dealing with the effects of travel/border restrictions every day and watching as country by country the situation deepened.

It's worth recalling that even in early March, many eminent scientists still viewed this as another SARS/MERS - nasty but possible to contain and eliminate fairly successfully. We easily forget this is a new virus. Antigen and antibody tests barely existed, certainly not in large number, and those that did were often not accurate enough. The nature of the virus was largely unknown. We didn't know exactly what it did or exactly how infectious it was - something underestimated globally due to the fact people can be shedding whilst asymptomatic, unlike SARS/MERS. There's still a lot about it we don't know.

The West hadn't experienced SARS/MERS, unlike many countries in Asia, who therefore had responses and facilities in place for precisely such an event. Leaping into action wasn't as simple for us. That said, I've said before we were too late locking down and we could have done more.

I have no particular love for Fiona Bruce but you're seeing something that's not there. She simply looks at her notes and the audience and gives a little sigh. It's certainly not aimed at the mention of care homes.
RankPostsTeam
International Star4641
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 25 201014 years183rd
OnlineLast PostLast Page
17th Mar 24 08:2514th Mar 24 11:07LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
"Back home we got a taxidermy man. He gonna have a heart attack when he see what I brung him."

Re: coronavirus and sport ? : Wed May 27, 2020 12:46 pm  
Cronus wrote:

I don't think she's showing any targetted disdain towards care homes. Remember this is nearly 2 weeks before lockdown. She just looks like she's thinking, "here we go again! He's banging on about care homes now". I just find that particular clip very prescient now we know the extent to which it has ripped through care homes.
Last edited by King Street Cat on Wed May 27, 2020 12:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RankPostsTeam
Club Coach17868
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 24 201113 years45th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: coronavirus and sport ? : Wed May 27, 2020 12:48 pm  
Cronus wrote:

You could always do a cummings and predict it coming, by doctoring your posts, when it was already upon us.
Previous