FORUMS FORUMS

RLFANS.COM
Celebrating
25 years service to
the Rugby League
Community!

WWW.RLFANS.COM • View topic - TORY Mansion tax and pension raid ?
::Off-topic discussion.
RankPostsTeam
International Star5109
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 23 201410 years80th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
18th Mar 24 23:5318th Mar 24 22:17LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: TORY Mansion tax and pension raid ? : Fri Mar 06, 2020 4:00 pm  
If the BBC was to go down the far right route of capitalism then they would take advertising revenue from the independent companies. This is because due to the success of the last ten years the only boom in advertising is for gambling and death. There is a finite amount available and if you like the US media coverage then obviously you must possess a very short attention span. The American football game is over 60 minutes but takes up three hours on TV due to the number of breaks.
If privatisation is so good why do we have to keep taking over failed train lines and returning them to public ownership.
I have another question how many of the privatised utilities are still in the hands of U.K. businesses.
RankPostsTeam
International Star4641
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 25 201014 years183rd
OnlineLast PostLast Page
17th Mar 24 08:2514th Mar 24 11:07LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
"Back home we got a taxidermy man. He gonna have a heart attack when he see what I brung him."

Re: TORY Mansion tax and pension raid ? : Fri Mar 06, 2020 10:48 pm  
IR80 wrote:
And there was me thinking it was the job of the PM and government to run the country, not provide sounbites for mealey mouthed left wing propoganda from an organisation that, finally, is to be disbanded, or at the very least, lose the umbilical cord that allows it to air garbage like The One Show, Songs of Praise, Strictly Come Dancing.

IF the BBC wants to crete commercial programmes, let them do it with commercial funding.

(again, a thread in it's own right)

Got to love all this BBC bashing.

The people who are banging on about privatising the BBC, or having it rely on commercial funding, will be the same people who will be moaning when there are adverts in the middle of Homes Under the Hammer and Cash in the Attic.
IR80 
RankPostsTeam
Club Captain2215No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jun 24 20195 yearsN/A
OnlineLast PostLast Page
3rd Sep 20 02:4026th Aug 20 00:48LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: TORY Mansion tax and pension raid ? : Sat Mar 07, 2020 7:55 am  
King Street Cat wrote:
Got to love all this BBC bashing.

The people who are banging on about privatising the BBC, or having it rely on commercial funding, will be the same people who will be moaning when there are adverts in the middle of Homes Under the Hammer and Cash in the Attic.

Never ceases to amaze me how abjectly wrong you can be, but keep the incorrect generalisations coming.
RankPostsTeam
International Star4641
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 25 201014 years183rd
OnlineLast PostLast Page
17th Mar 24 08:2514th Mar 24 11:07LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
"Back home we got a taxidermy man. He gonna have a heart attack when he see what I brung him."

Re: TORY Mansion tax and pension raid ? : Sat Mar 07, 2020 12:14 pm  
IR80 wrote:
Never ceases to amaze me how abjectly wrong you can be, but keep the incorrect generalisations coming.

So all these angry folk are going to suddenly start signing up for subscription TV packages at £X a month?

Let's face it. These people just don't want to have to be told to pay for the BBC licence, it's completely at odds with their wannabe libertarianism. They'll get a shock when they learn that Netflix, Amazon and Apple TV aren't free. At least the choice of paying for Jeremy Clarkson's bigotry will be one they've made themselves, though.
RankPostsTeam
Club Coach17868
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 24 201113 years45th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
18th Mar 24 13:3918th Mar 24 11:24LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: TORY Mansion tax and pension raid ? : Sat Mar 07, 2020 12:27 pm  
Sal Paradise wrote:
If the TV interviewers stuck to topic for which the interviewee was requested that would help but they don't - they get Hancock on to talk about the coronavirus and then ask him about Patel and they wonder why there is no trust

One thing is for certain - no matter how bad he was it wouldn't have been the car crash that Corbyn or Sturgeon were.

Andrew Neil would have covered all sorts of topics and Boris (well, more likely Cummings) knew this and didn't want to risk "getting found out".
A calculated, if not very democratic, risk.
Again, it shows lack of bottle and confidence to shy away from scrutiny and as with most things, the truth will come out at some point.

I wonder if there will be a wedding to go along with his latest addition, just to keep the blue rinse brigade happy.
Mind you, the do seem very accepting of anything he does for now.

Remind me, how many kids has he got and to how many different mothers
Can you imagine what would be said if he was a Labour leader ?
RankPostsTeam
International Board Member18060No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 27 200222 years289th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
11th Jun 23 20:4411th Jun 23 20:53LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
Your job is to say to yourself on a job interview does the hiring manager likes me or not. If you aren't a particular manager's cup of tea, you haven't failed -- you've dodged a bullet.

Re: TORY Mansion tax and pension raid ? : Sat Mar 07, 2020 1:03 pm  
wrencat1873 wrote:
Andrew Neil would have covered all sorts of topics and Boris (well, more likely Cummings) knew this and didn't want to risk "getting found out".
A calculated, if not very democratic, risk.
Again, it shows lack of bottle and confidence to shy away from scrutiny and as with most things, the truth will come out at some point.

I wonder if there will be a wedding to go along with his latest addition, just to keep the blue rinse brigade happy.
Mind you, the do seem very accepting of anything he does for now.

Remind me, how many kids has he got and to how many different mothers
Can you imagine what would be said if he was a Labour leader ?

I don't disagree - the point of the interview from Neil's perspective would have been to make Boris look as small as possible by focussing on his personal life. Perhaps if Neil were prepared to be more even handed and perhaps discuss the Tory manifesto then Boris might have been more inclined to participate - let's face he has done numerous interviews in the past. If the BBC want leading politicians to engage then they have to give them a fair crack of the whip. Doubt very much Corbyn will ever be interviewed by Neil again.

There is a lot of talk about the Tories boycotting the Today program - how long since Corbyn has been on the Today program - why - because Humphries gave him a hard time - so he simply said no more. Same on C4 news after the Indian gave him a hard time.
RankPostsTeam
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 27 200222 years289th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
Your job is to say to yourself on a job interview does the hiring manager likes me or not. If you aren't a particular manager's cup of tea, you haven't failed -- you've dodged a bullet.

Re: TORY Mansion tax and pension raid ? : Sat Mar 07, 2020 1:06 pm  
Turning the BBC into a private organisation would be a disaster - yes its not perfect but it is still one of the finest broadcasters on the planet - and cheap.
RankPostsTeam
Club Coach17868
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 24 201113 years45th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
18th Mar 24 13:3918th Mar 24 11:24LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: TORY Mansion tax and pension raid ? : Sat Mar 07, 2020 2:16 pm  
Sal Paradise wrote:
I don't disagree - the point of the interview from Neil's perspective would have been to make Boris look as small as possible by focussing on his personal life. Perhaps if Neil were prepared to be more even handed and perhaps discuss the Tory manifesto then Boris might have been more inclined to participate - let's face he has done numerous interviews in the past. If the BBC want leading politicians to engage then they have to give them a fair crack of the whip. Doubt very much Corbyn will ever be interviewed by Neil again.

There is a lot of talk about the Tories boycotting the Today program - how long since Corbyn has been on the Today program - why - because Humphries gave him a hard time - so he simply said no more. Same on C4 news after the Indian gave him a hard time.

Neil would have made Boris uncomfortable, just as he did with ALL of the other leaders, it's what he does.
As for the Tories not liking the BBC, this is just a ruse to try and prevent too much being broadcast against them, to ensure that they are actually benefitting from their exposure on the channel, very similar to how Trump is trying to "work" the media in the US.

There will of course be certain times when they are harshly treated, just as other parties are.
I'm sure that you remember the hammering that Ed Miliband received and whilst you will no doubt argue that he brought it upon himself, the treatment from most media outlets was grossly harsh and no doubt contributed to his downfall.

The BBC do have to be seen as "balanced" and rightly so.
However, the Tories do seem to want to ensure that the scales are tipped in their favour.
I dont blame them for that but, it doesn't make it right, does it.
RankPostsTeam
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 27 200222 years289th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature

Re: TORY Mansion tax and pension raid ? : Sat Mar 07, 2020 4:40 pm  
wrencat1873 wrote:
Neil would have made Boris uncomfortable, just as he did with ALL of the other leaders, it's what he does.
As for the Tories not liking the BBC, this is just a ruse to try and prevent too much being broadcast against them, to ensure that they are actually benefitting from their exposure on the channel, very similar to how Trump is trying to "work" the media in the US.

There will of course be certain times when they are harshly treated, just as other parties are.
I'm sure that you remember the hammering that Ed Miliband received and whilst you will no doubt argue that he brought it upon himself, the treatment from most media outlets was grossly harsh and no doubt contributed to his downfall.

The BBC do have to be seen as "balanced" and rightly so.
However, the Tories do seem to want to ensure that the scales are tipped in their favour.
I dont blame them for that but, it doesn't make it right, does it.

Nobody did more of this than Blair and Campbell - David Kelly/Iraq war anyone!!
RankPostsTeam
Club Coach16252
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 12 200419 years56th
OnlineLast PostLast Page
18th Mar 24 22:2827th Feb 24 19:53LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Signature
Challenge Cup winners 2009 2010 2012 2019
League Leaders 2011 2016

Re: TORY Mansion tax and pension raid ? : Tue Mar 10, 2020 8:01 am  
Blair never hid away or ducked interviews. He is confident enough in himself and his arguments to face scrutiny, even over things like the Iraq War, where people want to put him in war crimes tribunals and the like.
PreviousNext