RLFANS.COM
Celebrating
22 years service to
the Rugby League
Community!
WWW.RLFANS.COM • View topic - Brexit watch
::Off-topic discussion.
Re: Brexit watch Fri May 07, 2021 6:58 pm  
The Ghost of '99 User avatar
Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

Joined: Sun Feb 26, 2006 4:45 pm
Posts: 1758
Location: Desperation Island
JONNYGIANT wrote:
Have we as a country fallen off the cliff yet ,I'm still waiting everything seems just the same as pre brexit

Working for a retailer we're looking at whether the best thing to do is close our Northern Irish stores. It's barely worth the admin effort.

But remember, the meltdown scenario was no deal. There is a deal in place; one which conceded most things to the EU, but a deal.

Moreover the UK government has so far opted out of its duties to enforce its borders so traffic is just rolling into the country with minimum inspections. How long they can carry on breaching international law like that before the WTO intervenes is anyone's guess but for now the Tories don't seem to care (as ever the details are unimportant, the idea is what matters).

In a deal scenario, the result was always going to end up with us just rather poorer and less influential than we otherwise would be. It's hard to disentangle from Covid but that seems to be where we've ended up.
"Brian McDermott, with a wry smile, nods when asked if he remembers a specific incident which made him realise he was a prick. 'I do', he murmurs."
Re: Brexit watch Sat May 08, 2021 8:55 am  

User avatarDurham Giant wrote:
Durham Giant User avatar
100% League Network
100% League Network

Joined: Mon May 07, 2007 8:25 pm
Posts: 12273
Location: Durham
JONNYGIANT wrote:
Have we as a country fallen off the cliff yet ,I'm still waiting everything seems just the same as pre brexit


Only if you are stupid enough not to look at the evidence but anyway. What would be more interesting is could you change your avatar from the lifelong Labour supporting Brian Clough to something more appropriate like Nigel Farage . Cheers
Huddersfield Giants 2013 over achievers

Huddersfield Giants 2014 under achievers ??????????
Re: Brexit watch Sat May 08, 2021 9:48 am  

User avatarJONNYGIANT wrote:
JONNYGIANT User avatar
Strong-running second rower
Strong-running second rower

Joined: Thu Jan 15, 2009 9:07 pm
Posts: 410
Location: peoples republic of holmfirth
Durham Giant wrote:
Only if you are stupid enough not to look at the evidence but anyway. What would be more interesting is could you change your avatar from the lifelong Labour supporting Brian Clough to something more appropriate like Nigel Farage . Cheers

Aw bless
cod face
Re: Brexit watch Sat May 08, 2021 10:20 am  

Zoo Zoo Boom wrote:
Zoo Zoo Boom Strong-running second rower
Strong-running second rower

Joined: Fri Dec 11, 2020 9:38 am
Posts: 359
The Ghost of '99 wrote:
Working for a retailer we're looking at whether the best thing to do is close our Northern Irish stores. It's barely worth the admin effort.

But remember, the meltdown scenario was no deal. There is a deal in place; one which conceded most things to the EU, but a deal.

Moreover the UK government has so far opted out of its duties to enforce its borders so traffic is just rolling into the country with minimum inspections. How long they can carry on breaching international law like that before the WTO intervenes is anyone's guess but for now the Tories don't seem to care (as ever the details are unimportant, the idea is what matters).

In a deal scenario, the result was always going to end up with us just rather poorer and less influential than we otherwise would be. It's hard to disentangle from Covid but that seems to be where we've ended up.


No doubt in your opinion what happened in Jersey was our fault and we should rolled over and let the French have their way - we shouldn't be sending war ships in - such bad form (sic) they soon gave up - typical French!!
Re: Brexit watch Sat May 08, 2021 11:18 am  
The Ghost of '99 User avatar
Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

Joined: Sun Feb 26, 2006 4:45 pm
Posts: 1758
Location: Desperation Island
Zoo Zoo Boom wrote:
No doubt in your opinion what happened in Jersey was our fault and we should rolled over and let the French have their way - we shouldn't be sending war ships in - such bad form (sic) they soon gave up - typical French!!

I don't even know where to start with this.
You don't seem to have understood the background to any of it and are just into flag waving and stereotypes.
"Brian McDermott, with a wry smile, nods when asked if he remembers a specific incident which made him realise he was a prick. 'I do', he murmurs."
Re: Brexit watch Sat May 08, 2021 11:44 am  
King Street Cat User avatar
Bronze RLFANS Member
Bronze RLFANS Member

Joined: Thu Mar 25, 2010 11:49 am
Posts: 4426
Location: WF4
Zoo Zoo Boom wrote:
No doubt in your opinion what happened in Jersey was our fault and we should rolled over and let the French have their way - we shouldn't be sending war ships in - such bad form (sic) they soon gave up - typical French!!


The protest wasn't just exclusive to French fishermen. There are a few Jersey fishermen who aren't too happy about the situation.
"Back home we got a taxidermy man. He gonna have a heart attack when he see what I brung him."
Re: Brexit watch Sat May 08, 2021 4:07 pm  

wotsupcas wrote:
wotsupcas Cheeky half-back
Cheeky half-back

Joined: Sun Mar 02, 2014 4:25 pm
Posts: 554
The Ghost of '99 wrote:
I don't even know where to start with this.
You don't seem to have understood the background to any of it and are just into flag waving and stereotypes.

The background is that it is now the Jersey government that decide what and where their waters can be fished and they hand out the licences. The French used to hand out their own licences to fish in Jersey waters and they don't like the change. A French minister has threatened to cut off their food and power supply, a deplorable statement from our "friends" in the EU. The French are in the wrong in this particular dispute, just admit it.
Re: Brexit watch Sun May 09, 2021 3:41 am  
The Ghost of '99 User avatar
Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

Joined: Sun Feb 26, 2006 4:45 pm
Posts: 1758
Location: Desperation Island
wotsupcas wrote:
The background is that it is now the Jersey government that decide what and where their waters can be fished and they hand out the licences.

You know the main cause of this is the Jersey government negotiating an agreement and then immediately implementing the licences in a way totally different to the agreement? The French minister for fisheries can't turn off the lights, that was a stupid remark. But it's another case of a nationalistic government signing up to something and then deciding they didn't like what they'd signed up to so straight away trying to wriggle out of it.

The climb down will have to be from Jersey and they'll no doubt fall in line with Guernsey - where people are looking across to their island neighbour and wondering if they have lost their minds - or, more likely, if the government on Jersey are doing some water carrying for the UK government. Jersey's fishing fleet being unable to land in France is ultimately more problematic than French boats not being able to fish off the islands so it's obvious they will have to back track. Not before they've given the UK time for some well timed flag waving though.

None of this, of course, has anything to do with the EU.
"Brian McDermott, with a wry smile, nods when asked if he remembers a specific incident which made him realise he was a prick. 'I do', he murmurs."
Re: Brexit watch Sun May 09, 2021 12:14 pm  

wotsupcas wrote:
wotsupcas Cheeky half-back
Cheeky half-back

Joined: Sun Mar 02, 2014 4:25 pm
Posts: 554
The Ghost of '99 wrote:
You know the main cause of this is the Jersey government negotiating an agreement and then immediately implementing the licences in a way totally different to the agreement? The French minister for fisheries can't turn off the lights, that was a stupid remark. But it's another case of a nationalistic government signing up to something and then deciding they didn't like what they'd signed up to so straight away trying to wriggle out of it.

The climb down will have to be from Jersey and they'll no doubt fall in line with Guernsey - where people are looking across to their island neighbour and wondering if they have lost their minds - or, more likely, if the government on Jersey are doing some water carrying for the UK government. Jersey's fishing fleet being unable to land in France is ultimately more problematic than French boats not being able to fish off the islands so it's obvious they will have to back track. Not before they've given the UK time for some well timed flag waving though.

None of this, of course, has anything to do with the EU.

You do know that the restrictions Jersey has imposed on French vessels apply to their own boats as well? You do know the French boats that haven't been granted licences have failed to provide the relevant information required? And as soon as they do will be granted a licence? Of course its got something to do with the EU, they are supporting the French as they are entitled to. Just as the UK is entitled to support Jersey.
Trust you to support anyone and I mean absolutely anyone against our interests.
Re: Brexit watch Sun May 09, 2021 1:28 pm  
The Ghost of '99 User avatar
Free-scoring winger
Free-scoring winger

Joined: Sun Feb 26, 2006 4:45 pm
Posts: 1758
Location: Desperation Island
wotsupcas wrote:
Trust you to support anyone and I mean absolutely anyone against our interests.

As with ZZB you seem intent on making everything some question of patriotism or us vs them.
I cared about "our interests" when we made the self-harming decision to leave the EU. I cared about "our interests" when the government had to surrender in the negotiations due to their inherently weak position.
But the deal is done now. We've agreed a legal document and, when we or Jersey breach it, running to your partisan corner isn't any good, even if it makes you feel better.

If you're upset that the deal is so bad the people on the ground feel compelled to breach it, don't blame the other side, with whom we agreed the deal and are now, fairly enough, upset that we are trying to break our word. And don't don't blame me for being "against our interests" just because you think we should stamp our feet and wave big flags.
Blame the people who put us in this position and who negotiated that deal. Politics isn't just mindless football supporting - policies and decisions matter and you should be looking to your government to take responsibility when they fail.
"Brian McDermott, with a wry smile, nods when asked if he remembers a specific incident which made him realise he was a prick. 'I do', he murmurs."
PreviousNext

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 44 guests

Quick Reply



Subject:
Message:

   
Please note using apple style emoji's can result in posting failures.

Return to The Sin Bin


POSTSONLINEMEMBERSRECORDTEAM
5,168,11564778,6216,308LOGIN
LOGIN HERE
or REGISTER for more features!.
When you register you get access to the live match scores, live match chat and you can post in the discussions on the forums.
YOU HAVE RL CHAT OFF
RLFANS Match Centre
Mon 14th Jun
NRL RND: 14 Canterbury28-6St.George
Sun 13th Jun
WSL RND: 5 Hudds W8-44Wire W
NRL RND: 14 NZ Warriors16-42Melbourne
NRL RND: 14 Parramatta40-12Wests
CH RND: 9 Dewsbury12-56Toulouse
CH RND: 9 Featherstone44-0Bradford
CH RND: 9 Halifax30-6York
CH RND: 9 Swinton30-36Newcastle
CH RND: 9 Whitehaven20-24Batley
CH RND: 9 Widnes22-24LondonB
L1 RND: 6 Coventry12-30Workington
L1 RND: 6 Keighley70-12West Wales
L1 RND: 6 Crusaders0-68Doncaster
Sat 12th Jun
SL RND: 9 Leigh30-36Catalans
NRL RND: 14 Gold Coast34-35Sydney
NRL RND: 14 Souths24-10Newcastle
NRL RND: 14 Canberra38-16Brisbane
CH RND: 9 Oldham28-32Sheffield
L1 RND: 6 Barrow40-4Rochdale
L1 RND: 6 LondonS10-62Hunslet
This is an inplay table and positions can change as matches are in play.
National Rugby League 2021 ROUND : 14
 PLDFADIFFPTS
Melbourne 14 472 178 294 24
Penrith 14 418 133 285 24
Parramatta 14 400 224 176 22
Souths 13 341 282 59 20
Sydney 13 379 223 156 18
Manly 13 315 282 33 14
 
St.George 14 299 312 -13 12
NQL Cowboys 13 264 383 -119 12
Cronulla 13 244 298 -54 10
Gold Coast 14 318 380 -62 10
Canberra 13 257 321 -64 10
NZ Warriors 13 281 347 -66 10
Wests 14 292 374 -82 10
Newcastle 14 231 366 -135 10
Brisbane 14 232 436 -204 6
Canterbury 13 162 366 -204 4
This is an inplay table and positions can change as matches are in play.
Betfred Super League XXVI ROUND : 9
 PLDFADIFFPTSDIFFWP%
Catalans 9 268 142 126 16 188.73 88.89
St.Helens 8 206 70 136 14 294.29 87.50
Wigan 8 158 136 22 14 116.18 87.50
Warrington 9 302 157 145 13 192.36 72.22
Hull FC 9 179 143 36 11 125.17 61.11
Hull KR 9 223 204 19 10 109.31 55.56
 
Castleford 9 185 232 -47 8 79.74 44.44
Leeds 8 150 136 14 6 110.29 37.50
Huddersfield 8 150 162 -12 6 92.59 37.50
Wakefield 9 163 231 -68 4 70.56 22.22
Salford 9 106 289 -183 2 36.68 11.11
Leigh 9 134 322 -188 0 41.61 0
This is an inplay table and positions can change as matches are in play.
Betfred Championship 2021 ROUND : 9
 PLDFADIFFPTSDIFFWP%
Toulouse 7 347 70 277 14 495.71 100
Featherstone 8 306 76 230 16 402.63 100
Bradford 9 228 216 12 14 105.56 77.78
Batley 8 228 160 68 12 142.50 75
LondonB 9 226 216 10 11 104.63 61.11
Halifax 9 271 135 136 10 200.74 55.56
 
York 9 219 180 39 8 121.67 44.44
Sheffield 9 211 249 -38 8 84.74 44.44
Widnes 9 226 263 -37 7 85.93 38.89
Dewsbury 8 115 227 -112 6 50.66 37.50
Newcastle 8 168 246 -78 5 68.29 31.25
Whitehaven 9 160 278 -118 5 57.55 27.78
Oldham 9 134 330 -196 4 40.61 22.22
Swinton 9 152 345 -193 0 44.06 0
This is an inplay table and positions can change as matches are in play.
Betfred League One 2021 ROUND : 5
 PLDFADIFFPTSDIFFWP%
Barrow 5 211 62 149 10 340.32 100
Workington 5 180 94 86 8 191.49 80
Doncaster 5 182 126 56 8 144.44 80
Coventry 4 106 114 -8 4 92.98 50
Keighley 5 158 135 23 4 117.04 40
Rochdale 5 157 156 1 4 100.64 40
 
Crusaders 5 122 150 -28 4 81.33 40
Hunslet 5 84 137 -53 4 61.31 40
LondonS 4 104 150 -46 2 69.33 25
West Wales 5 70 250 -180 0 28 0
This is an inplay table and positions can change as matches are in play.
Betfred Womens Super League 2021 ROUND : 5
 PLDFADIFFPTSDIFFWP%
St.HelensW 3 230 6 224 6 3,833.33 100
LeedsW 3 214 22 192 6 972.73 100
WiganW 3 158 18 140 6 877.78 100
CastlefordW 3 104 24 80 6 433.33 100
YorkW 3 76 102 -26 2 74.51 33.33
Wire W 4 86 154 -68 2 55.84 25
 
FeatherstoneW 4 74 164 -90 2 45.12 25
BradfordW 4 60 180 -120 2 33.33 25
Hudds W 4 46 222 -176 2 20.72 25
WakefieldW 3 16 172 -156 0 9.30 0
RLFANS Recent Posts




X