The game of the round saw the Toronto Wolfpack host the Sheffield Eagles at the home of London Skolars as the league leaders played the steel city side who have impressed and surprised in equal measure with their start to the 2019 Championship season.

A twenty point win for the Eagles would see them leap ahead of the Wolfpack but the Toronto side knew that they needed the two points to guarantee that they would be at the top of the table at the final hooter.

Toronto had a week off last weekend as they elected not to enter the Challenge Cup while Sheffield lost their cup match against Leigh Centurions. The Wolfpack favourites with the bookies to pick up the two points on offer.

An aggressive start from the Eagles saw them force a goal line drop out after three minutes but after conceeding two quick penalties it was Toronto who were first over the whitewash when Chase Stanley was at the end of a long passing move to run the angle, through a gap, and ground in the right corner. Gareth O’Brien was unable to add the extra two points, Sheffield needed to batten down the hatches.

O’Brien was held up brilliantly over the line on seventeen, wrapped up by Josh Duzdek but on the next play Matty Russell went over in the opposite corner after the Wolfpack gave the ball plenty of air. Once again, O’Brien’s boot let him down, the Wolfpack holding an eight point lead.

The Eagles responded on twenty miniutes Oliver Davies after Toronto spilled the kick-off. Davies hit the line to take a short pass and crash over the line. Pat Walker pushed his conversion across the front of the sticks.

There was plenty of industry from both sides but it took until the thirty-sixth minute when a repeat set allowed Ackers to offload to Tom Olbison who had a little juggle before grounding. O’Brien kicked his first of the afternoon for a 14-4 lead.

Two minutes later Ackers grabbed himself a four pointer with a dummy and dive from acting half-back to ground on the line. O’Brien didn’t add the extras but it was a quick double-whammy from the Wolfpack which had rocked Sheffield on their feet at the end of the first half.

Within three minutes of the restart Blake Wallace went through a two lacklustre attempted tackles to go in for the fifth Toronto try of the afternoon. Wallace added the conversion for a 24-4 lead, Toronto just about had the points in the bag.

There was a moment of hope for Sheffield on fifty when Ryan Millar took a pass in space to go down the left wing and score in the corner. Walker added the conversion to bring up double figures.

On the hour mark Matty Russell got his second of the afternoon, slipping over on his back to ground one-handed as the Eagles defence failed to slide. Wallace couldn’t kick the conversion but with an eighteen point lead there was no way back for the Eagles.

On seventy-four Wallace got his second of the afternoon as he took a Jon Wilkin pass, threw a massive dummy, and went under the sticks. He added the extras himself for 34-10.

Two minutes from time Sheffield batted down a Blake Wallace grubber straight into the surprise hands of Adam Sidlow who grounded from under a metre. Wallace kicked the extras for 40-10, it was becoming a rout.

Wolfpack: O’Brien (G), Miloudi, Stanley (T), Leutele, Russell (2T), Wallace (2T, 3G), McCrone, Sims, Ackers (T), Sidlow (T), Dixon, Olbison (T), Wilkin.  Subs: Springer, Fash, Lussick, Mullally.

Eagles: Guzdek, Millar (T), Glover, Hellewell, Blackmore, Walker, Thackeray, Moran, Davey, James, Davies (T), Farrell, Brown. Subs: Adebiyi, Hindmarsh, Makelim, Knowles.

Referee: M Rossleigh.

Half-Time: 18-4.

Full-Time: 40-10.

Attendance: .


All views expressed are those of the author and not necessarily those of the RLFANS.COM or its subsites.

Copyright 1999 - 2019 RLFANS.COM

You must be 18+ to gamble, for more information and for help with gambling issues see