The upwardly mobile Hull FC had an intriguing round eight game against fellow play-off contenders the Warrington Wolves, with both sides looking to build on their respective wins last weekend. FC have lost just one game in their last six outings while Warrington have recorded just one loss in 2019, their away fixture in Perpignan.

A win would have sent FC into fourth and a fifteen point win would have put them up to third but the Wolves were unlikely to be able to make progress unless they got a big win, while St Helens upset the odds and lost at Hull KR.

Blake Austin’s determination grabbed the Wolves their first try as he spun out of one tackle and then fought off two more tacklers to ground on the line. It was a sign of things to come. The referee sent the decision upstairs as a try and the video referee agreed. Stefan Ratchford added the conversion for a 6-0 lead.

Jake Mamo had a try ruled out on nine after great FC defence. But within a minute Daryl Clark went over after scooting from acting half back and went over from just inside the FC ten. Ratchford again kicked the extras and it was clear that the Wolves were having a barnstorming start to the game.

On thirteen Blake Austin was in again as the FC defence fell apart as he threw an outrageous dummy. Ratchford added the extras for 18-0 after just fourteen minutes.

On seventeen Josh Charnely found an acre of space down the right wing to go over from ten metres. Ratchford was this time unable to add the conversion from tight to the touchline but the Wolves were scoring at more than a point a minute.

When Josh Griffin dropped the ball from a high Austin bomb, Charnley picked it up and went over from five metres for his second in three minutes. Ratchford added another two pointer to the total, Warrington already had the game in the bag after twenty-two minutes.

Blake Austin completed his hat-trick with a barnstorming run down the centre of the field on thirty-two to score from sixty metres our. The FC defence were mesmerised and outpaced as the Wolves marquee player ran amock. Ratchford added his fifth goal of the night for 34-0 in thirty-four minutes.

Two minutes before the break Albert Kelly finally got Hull’s first try of the night after evading three tacklers in a jinking cross-field run to ground by the right upright. Marc Sneyd added the conversion but his side went into the sheds trailing by 34-6 after a half which had been totally dominated by the visitors.

Within the first minute after the restart Ben Murdoch-Masila cut the Hull defence to ribbons as he rook a pass from Ratchford after the full back had made a thirty metre break and ran the remaining thirty to score under the sticks to give his provider a simple conversion.

Austin got his fourth on fifty-two when he took a long pass and then dummied his way past the  last line of defence to round and ground behind the sticks to allow Ratchford a simple seventh goal of the game.

On fifty-eight Tom Lineham went under the Hull tacklers to ground on the line for the ninth Warrington try of the night to bring up the half century. Ratchford was unable to add the conversion from wide.

Charnley completed his hat-trick on sixty-three after Austin dummied and reversed the direction of the attack to give the winger the space down the right hand side. Ratchfords kick made it 56-6 with a quarter of an hour remaining.

Jordan Lane brought up the double figures for Hull when he took a Sneyd inside pass to straighten up and go over. Sneyd added the conversion for 12-56.

Tom Lineham intercepted a loose pass on seventy-four to go nearly the length of the field, the Airlie Birds players giving up the chase early. Ratchford knocked over his ninth conversion for 62-12.

Austin kicked a last minute drop goal to rub salt into the wound.

The Wolves have done their points difference the world of good with a sensational attacking performance over a Hull side who have themselves had a pretty decent start to their 2019 season. Warrington were on fire with Austin the general at the heart of most things that were great in a performance where, on the night, they were in a different class to the home side. There will be some disappointment that Hull managed to get over the line but nevertheless it will be a happy journey back over the M62 for a Wolves side who have kept the pressure on St Helens.

FC: Miloudi, Griffin, Tuimavave, Thompson, Faraimo, Kelly (T), Sneyd (2G), Paea, Houghton, Taylor, Manu, Minichiello, Westerman.  Subs: Hadley, Matongo, Lane (T), Savelio.

Wolves: Ratchford (9G), Lineham (2T), King, Mamo, Charnley (3T), Austin (4T, DG), Patton, Hill, Clarke (T), Cooper, Currie, Hughes, Philbin.  Subs: Murdoch-Masila (T), Clark, Tasi, Livett.

Referee: Robert Hicks.

Half-Time: 6-34.

Full-Time: 12-63.

Attendance: .


All views expressed are those of the author and not necessarily those of the RLFANS.COM or its subsites.

Copyright 1999 - 2019 RLFANS.COM

You must be 18+ to gamble, for more information and for help with gambling issues see