Mar 16 20240 yearsN/A
OnlineLast PostLast Page
2nd Jun 24 15:542nd Jun 24 11:12LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: London Away : Mon May 13, 2024 11:12 am  
Chris71 wrote:
Must admit I was one of those who thought he may come good from what I'd seen this season once he'd got in to some form of shape or fitness. However the fact he still looks miles away from looking remotely fit is a concern in terms of his application as a sports professional but also concerning is the conditioning and fitness standards we have at the club currently. Its no wonder as a club we are joint bottom and deservedly so when the only player you can say is genuinely worthy of taking a quota spot is Ese'ese.

Same thoughts from me. I still think there's a player in there if he gets his fitness right. But I don't see it being with us and I think there's a big question mark over whether he wants to get into that kind of shape himself.
RankPostsTeam
Club Owner24747No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 14 200321 yearsth
OnlineLast PostLast Page
3rd Jun 24 03:492nd Jun 24 15:47LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: London Away : Mon May 13, 2024 11:20 am  
Roam Ranger wrote:
Same thoughts from me. I still think there's a player in there if he gets his fitness right. But I don't see it being with us and I think there's a big question mark over whether he wants to get into that kind of shape himself.

If he had anything about him, he would have used those 5 weeks off to get into shape, owed it to the fans after his sending off.

If we can replace him for Satae I'd be delighte.
Steve0 
RankPostsTeam
Club Owner1970No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 03 200321 yearsth
OnlineLast PostLast Page
1st Jun 24 10:421st Jun 24 09:52LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: London Away : Mon May 13, 2024 11:22 am  
Dave K. wrote:
Pele reminds me of Hutch, Lauaki and Vete rolled into one.

I'm convinced with a lot of these signings (Okunbor, Pele, even as far back as Bienek) the club gets sent a highlight reel of a player making some barnstorming runs at reserve grade level, they then ring up the clubs DoR who says "yeah they'll go well in super league" in a desperate attempt to get rid of them and free up some salary cap as no other NRL/Queensland cup team want them, and it gets them off their books...we think that's a good enough level of due diligence and then give them a lucrative 2/3 year deal
BP1 
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach984
JoinedServiceReputation
Sep 04 200519 yearsth
OnlineLast PostLast Page
2nd Jun 24 22:363rd Jun 24 09:12LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
In the land of wishful thinking once more. Patiently waiting for our time to finally arrive.
Signature
I've been on the internet and have already got a sense of the fans' passion for the club. They are very fanatical - Peter Gentle 12th September 2011.

Money doesn't talk it swears, Obscenity who really cares, Propaganda all is phony.

I'm the son and heir of a shyness which is criminally vulgar.

Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way.

A man who lives in hell can still aspire to heaven.

Re: London Away : Mon May 13, 2024 12:04 pm  
Roam Ranger wrote:

Me too (was about to post the same!).
I think/hope/believe that Pele could still be a decent standard SL player, but probably not with us and certainly not in 2024.

I wonder if he is one of those players who constantly needs kicking up the backside in order to keep him motivated which in turn then gets the best out of him? The current working in environment at Hull Fc is hardly along those lines so, like the bulk of the others, he's just dawdling along, getting paid for his 15 minutes work each week!

It's partly his fault, partly the coaching staff's fault, but underpinning all this is the ethos/attitude/culture/ call-it-what-you-will that has been running right through the club for too many years now and which is the real cause of out problems.

In many ways, Pele is a microcosm of everything that is wrong with the club. An unwillingness to work, an inability to get the best out of what we have at our disposal, a refusal to confront fundamental underlying issues which continue to stifle any hope of the club moving forward.

Franklin Pele certainly has to take some personal responsibility for the fact that he clearly is not doing the job, for which he is paid well, to a satisfactory level. But the club must also stand accused of failing to provide an environment which makes players want to better themselves and give their all in the common cause.

It would be interesting to see how Pele, and indeed a number of other under-performing players, would respond to a strict disciplinarian regime at the club, a shape up or ship out kind of attitude across the board. I suspect we will never find out in his case, unfortunately.
RankPostsTeam
Club Owner24747No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 14 200321 yearsth
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: London Away : Mon May 13, 2024 12:07 pm  
Steve0 wrote:
I'm convinced with a lot of these signings (Okunbor, Pele, even as far back as Bienek) the club gets sent a highlight reel of a player making some barnstorming runs at reserve grade level, they then ring up the clubs DoR who says "yeah they'll go well in super league" in a desperate attempt to get rid of them and free up some salary cap as no other NRL/Queensland cup team want them, and it gets them off their books...we think that's a good enough level of due diligence and then give them a lucrative 2/3 year deal

That's what I do :lol:

But yeah, that's not what the recruitment team should do.

Hopefully Myler isn't like that.
RankPostsTeam
Club Owner21699
JoinedServiceReputation
Sep 25 200321 yearsth
OnlineLast PostLast Page
2nd Jun 24 21:232nd Jun 24 17:34LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: London Away : Mon May 13, 2024 12:31 pm  
RankPostsTeam
Club Owner24747No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 14 200321 yearsth
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: London Away : Mon May 13, 2024 12:35 pm  
Ref didn't think it was racist and he was right there.
RankPostsTeam
Academy Player259
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 16 20240 yearsN/A
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: London Away : Mon May 13, 2024 12:56 pm  
Steve0 wrote:

Like the equivilent of signing someone because they are good on Football Manager! :lol:
RankPostsTeam
Academy Player259
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 16 20240 yearsN/A
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: London Away : Mon May 13, 2024 1:00 pm  
BP1 wrote:
Me too (was about to post the same!).
I think/hope/believe that Pele could still be a decent standard SL player, but probably not with us and certainly not in 2024.

I wonder if he is one of those players who constantly needs kicking up the backside in order to keep him motivated which in turn then gets the best out of him? The current working in environment at Hull Fc is hardly along those lines so, like the bulk of the others, he's just dawdling along, getting paid for his 15 minutes work each week!

It's partly his fault, partly the coaching staff's fault, but underpinning all this is the ethos/attitude/culture/ call-it-what-you-will that has been running right through the club for too many years now and which is the real cause of out problems.

In many ways, Pele is a microcosm of everything that is wrong with the club. An unwillingness to work, an inability to get the best out of what we have at our disposal, a refusal to confront fundamental underlying issues which continue to stifle any hope of the club moving forward.

Franklin Pele certainly has to take some personal responsibility for the fact that he clearly is not doing the job, for which he is paid well, to a satisfactory level. But the club must also stand accused of failing to provide an environment which makes players want to better themselves and give their all in the common cause.

It would be interesting to see how Pele, and indeed a number of other under-performing players, would respond to a strict disciplinarian regime at the club, a shape up or ship out kind of attitude across the board. I suspect we will never find out in his case, unfortunately.

Great post. I've spoken many times about the culture (or whatever word people want to use) at the club and when you think about it Pele epitomises so much about everything that is wrong at the club at the moment.
RankPostsTeam
International Board Member29328
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 22 200717 yearsth
OnlineLast PostLast Page
3rd Jun 24 07:262nd Jun 24 18:12LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Re: London Away : Mon May 13, 2024 1:12 pm  
we've had no one at the club who has any current knowledge of the aussie game hence we rely on player agents and inevitably get stiffed. I saw a post on twitter a while back from motu tony offering to help - I'll be no one at the club contacted him.

This is one of the reasons I'd prefer a coach from australia
PreviousNext