For the second week running the Widnes Vikings were up against a side from Hull, this time it was FC and the venue was the Select Securities Stadium. Only two places, but four points, separated the two sides and the bookies and pundits fancied the Black and Whites to pick up the two points on the road. Widnes came into the game having lost three consecutive games while the visitors also lost last week to the league leaders having won both of their games over Easter. The extensive injuries which forced the Vikings to sign Rhino Jimmy Keinhorst on a months loan earlier today, also saw Dennis Betts make half a dozen changes to the side which lost to the eastern side of Hull a week ago. Hull FC also made a number of changes with Bureta Faraimo, Jake Connor and Josh Bowden in for  Logan, Lane, and Fash. Hull FC absorbed some early Widnes pressure but on eight minutes Danny Washbrook took an excellent Jake Connor offload to go doen the blind side and improve the angle for Marc Sneyd to add the extras. Five minutes later Bureta Faraimo, returning after a one match ban, took an Albert Kelly high kick to the right corner and outpaced two Widnes tacklers to cross the line to score. Sneyd was again accurate with the boot. On twenty Widnes got their breakthrough and signalled that Hull might not have everything their own way. Two tackles out from a penalty Sam Wilde ran the angle to go over in the right corner. Tom Gilmore added the extras to half the Hull lead. As the half wore on it was Widnes who were gaining in confidence and FC who were starting to panic. After a Hull obstruction, just before the half time hooter, Gilmore accepted the invitation to kick the penalty goal from ten metres out send his side into the interval just four behind at 8-12. The start of the second half was all Widnes, however, on forty-seven it looked like Jamie Shaul had scored a breakaway try for Hull but the referee consulted the video official who pulled play back to the Hull goal line for a double knock-on. On fifty Tom Olbison managed to muscle his way over the line and ground from five metres as he scooted from acting half back. Depite him appearing to lose the ball before grounding the referee pointed to the spot and Gilmore added the extras to take his side into the lead for the first time. The lead lasted just four minutes. Hull were back in front when the Widnes defence melted away and let Masimbaashe Matongo to go through a massive gap off a Danny Houghton pass, scoring under the sticks and giving Sneyd a simple conversion for 14-18. It was a double-whammy just three minutes later when Josh Griffin ran in from twenty metres off a Jamie Shaul pass and went over in the left corner. Sneyd was unable to add the extras. Just two more minutes had passed when a Sneyd cross-field kick found Fetuli Talanoa to drop over the line and score before sliding into touch. Sneyd was again unable to add the extras but all of the Vikings efforts had evaporated in a devastating five minute spell and they now trailed by two converted tries. On sixty-five Marc Sneyd kicked a twenty metre drop goal to extend the lead to thirteen points. On seventy-two Tom Olbison got his second try of the night when a big gap opened up in the FC defence. He improved the angle and Gilmore added the goal and the gap was down to seven points. Four minutes from time Griffin picked up a wayward pass on the half way line and went fifty metres to score, his second of the night. Sneyd added the goal and it was job done for the Airlie Birds. Two minutes from time Shaul was one of three players who could have picked up  and scored the Faraimo cross-field kick. Again Sneyd added the two for a final score of 39-20. There were plenty of big defensive errors from both sides but also plenty of invention and determination. The walking wounded did brilliantly to fight their way back into a position where they could win the game and they will be devastated that a five minute lapse in concentration let Hull take control of the game. The Sneyd drop goal was the psychological victory and despite the consolation try from Olbison it was too little and too late.  FC move up the table but Widnes will be hoping that they can get some of their stars back in the black and white and make the top eight. Vikings: Hanbury, Runciman, Whitley, Dean, Ince, Gilmore (4G), Mellor, Burke, Heremaia, Chapelhow T, Wilde (T), Olbison (2T), Houston.  Subs:Leuluai, Farnworth, Johnstone, Chapelhow J. FC: Shaul (T), Faraimo (T), Connor, Griffin (2T), Talanoa (T), Kelly, Sneyd (5G, DG), Taylor, Houghton, Paea, Downs, Washbrook (T), Bowden.  Subs: Litten, Green, Matongo (T), Tuimavave. Referee: Chris Kendall. Half-Time: 8-12. Full-Time: 20-39. Attendance: .

All views expressed are those of the author and not necessarily those of the RLFANS.COM or its subsites.

Copyright 1999 - 2019 RLFANS.COM

You must be 18+ to gamble, for more information and for help with gambling issues see