The fifth round of seven in the Super Eights Qualifiers was the weekend when two sides were to guarantee their inclusion on n the Super League competition for 2018.

Warrington knew that a win over the Leigh Centurions would guarantee their safety and Hull KR were depending on a Warrington win, and their own victory, to secure a return to the top flight at the first time of asking.

Elsewhere the Catalans Dragons were desperate for a home win against Featherstone Rovers while London Broncos and Halifax both needed a win to keep alive their outside hopes of the Million Pound Game.

Over at the Halliwell-Jones Stadium it was a highly competitive first half which Warrington took by just two points. Clare had given Leigh an early lead but Russell and Greenwood both grabbed four pointers for the Wolves to put them 10-6 ahead. Hood and Maria both scored tries in a four minute period leading up to the twentieth minute to put the Centurions back ahead by 18-10 before a Gidley converted try narrowed the margin to two points. Brown scored on the stroke of half-time to send his side into the interval just ahead.

Vea grabbed a converted try on forty-six but Warrington struck back and drew level on fifty-seven when the departing Hiku went over for a try for 24-24. It was see-saw rugby and Leigh were back in the lead on fifty-nine with a Burr converted try. The lead lasted six minutes before Hill got a converted try for the Wolves to level the scores and two minutes later a Livett penalty goal edged the home side into a two point lead which they managed to hold until the final hooter to guarantee their return to Super League rugby in 2018.

Hull KR put in a terrific performance for a 12-6 over the Widnes Vikings to ensure that they will be back in the top division for 2018.

The Catalans Dragons made hard work of their 26-12 win over an enterprising Featherstone Rovers. The win saw them up into fourth place, the home berth for the Million Pound Game.

Down at the Trailfinders the London Broncos got themselves to within a point of fifth place with a convincing win over bottom side Halifax. Halifax had taken the lead through an early Tyrer try, but Barthau, Walker and Ackers all scored converted four pointers within the opening quarter of an hour for an 18-4 lead. Cahalane grabbed one back for Halifax five out from the interval and when Tyrer added the conversion the visitors trailed by 10-18 at the break. Despite being down to twelve men with Sammut in the sin-bin it was the Broncos who scored the first points of the second half when Williams went in and Dixon converted. Dixon added another converted try for 30-10 to seal the win. Kear added another converted try three minutes later for a twenty-six point lead. Worrincy grabbed a late consolation for a final score of 36-14.

2018 Super League: Warrington Wolves, Hull KR, Widnes Vikings
Million Pound Game: Catalans Dragons v. Leigh Centurions
2018 Championship: London Broncos, Featherstone Rovers, Halifax

All views expressed are those of the author and not necessarily those of the RLFANS.COM or its subsites.

Copyright 1999 - 2018 RLFANS.COM

You must be 18+ to gamble, for more information and for help with gambling issues see